American Greetings/Carlton Cards/Heirloom Godzilla Ornaments

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: American Greetings/Carlton Cards/Heirloom Godzilla Ornam

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Cornelius looks irritated. Maybe cuz he's the only mammal on the page...

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Alternative shot of the AG 2014 60thA ornament

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Yes, that's the artist's sketch for the Hallmark ornament.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Figured I'd post here since it's ornament related.

Picked up the Hallmark ornament over the weekend.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Damn, that thing sucks! The POD/DC Godzilla is about the same size, & looks better! :freak:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It looks like a squeaky dinosaur toy you'd get from a museum.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Yea, I gotta say I am pretty disappointed in the final product versus how he looked in the promo images. :? I don't think I will worry about buying him.....certainly not at full retail price.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:Yea, I gotta say I am pretty disappointed in the final product versus how he looked in the promo images. :? I don't think I will worry about buying him.....certainly not at full retail price.
I feel the same way. This was a "must buy" for me when I saw the prototype pics. Now that I see pics of the actual product, I doubt I'll be picking this up.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

I can only recommend it for completist, while I liked it it's really not worth the price (unless you compare it to those expensive Carlton ornaments).
At least it wasn't made out of thin plastic like some of their other ornaments. This was more rubber-like material. Might explain why the final version looks so bland.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Starsteam wrote:This was more rubber-like material. Might explain why the final version looks so bland.
I definitely think it's a factor, I know from other collectibles that what material you cast in makes a difference in the detail that comes through. There's still plenty in it, what got lost were the really fine details. We also don't know how big the prototype was either, if it was a 2 up, then you'd lose detail there as well.

I've been collecting Hallmark ornaments for like 10 years, lots of Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean ornaments and they've never really been super detailed, I'd say Godzilla's on par for Hallmark. I do feel like Hallmark's lost some quality the last few years, I've been disappointed with how some of their Star Wars offerings turned out. I was excited for Jabba the Hutt last year and the final product just looked like crap for them and cost way more than it should. Godzilla cost the same as the JAWS ornament and that one is even more basic so I feel less ripped off with Godzilla. Also, pictures are never doing to do this ornament favors, nor will they some of the American Greetings, they get you closer than you're meant to be looking at it. If you look at him from a distance as if you were looking at it on a tree, he looks really good.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

^^^ its almost to the point where it looks like a bootleg IMO. I get that its an ornament but was hoping for something a little better oh since I have all the others might as well get this one as well.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Glad I got OUT of collecting Hallmark a couple years ago, if this is what they're doing now! Eww...

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I just got back from picking up the 60th Anniversary Heirloom ornament at Meijer (also added it to the 1st page post). I gotta say, I actually really like this ornament. Granted, the overall sculpt is pretty similar to the 2005 ornament, but I found it very cool how brightly this ornament lights up and I also thought it was awesome that the entire base lights up with the explosion that illuminates Godzilla's name as he is roaring. I think the price is a tad bit steep at $35, but if someone missed out on the original ornament, I would definitely get this 60th Anniverary one in place of it if you can find it.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

REPOST FROM G'14 FORUM: I just picked up the G'14 Christmas ornament at a Hallmark store. It's a nice sculpt, looks pretty cool, but is noticeably smaller than the classic Godzilla line from American Greetings. So ironically, the biggest Godzilla will be the runt of the litter in your holiday display. To be fair, it costs less ($17.99; the others are in the $25 - $30 range), and is actually light enough to hang on a tree. The G'14 roar is nicely reproduced, and it repeats a couple of times, though the footsteps that also play sound more like gunshots or whip cracks. They pale in comparison to the '54 drumbeats. Overall, I'm happy with it. Recommended.

UPDATE: I also now have the 60th Anniversary ornament from American Greetings. Very cool, and quite a bit larger than the Hallmark G'14 (but so is the $35 price tag). When I first saw the pics in G-Fan, I was disappointed. It looked too much like the very first one they did. But seeing it now, WOW. It's black and white, and glows brightly from within when activated. The original Godzilla: KotM logo is on the side. A really nice tribute to the original film, and looks quite striking.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I agree. Although I haven't yet bought the Hallmark ornament. I was pretty disappointed when I saw the final pictures of the actual product. If I can find him for a sale price, I will pick him up though. The 60th Anniversary ornament is best when you see it function. I am hoping that next year, American Greetings will add a new monster to the ornament roster in the vein of Mechagodzilla (maybe Mothra?)

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

My local Meijer store is now completely sold out of the Godzilla ornaments. I've never seen them sell out that fast (before Halloween). They are also the only empty slot on the shelf of this year's American Greetings ornaments, so if you come across this ornament, I strongly suggest picking him up.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Check HallMark stores on the day after Christmas - they usually mark stuff down 40-50% on that day.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

MandaSaurus wrote:Check HallMark stores on the day after Christmas - they usually mark stuff down 40-50% on that day.
Yeah that doesn't work because they are still full price. I've even tried getting them on Black Friday and they still aren't on sale.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

DoubleDam21 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:Check HallMark stores on the day after Christmas - they usually mark stuff down 40-50% on that day.
Yeah that doesn't work because they are still full price. I've even tried getting them on Black Friday and they still aren't on sale.
Nope. Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. The day after Christmas ALL HallMarks mark down their ornaments 40-50%. HALLMARK stores, not stores selling HallMark stuff...

Go to a HallMark Gold Crown Store this coming Dec. 26 - you'll see...

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

The Hallmark Godzilla 2014 movie ornament may be found at Hallmark stores, however I am talking about the 60th Anniversary ornament from American Greetings. Hallmark stores will not be selling the 60th Anniversary ornament because they do not carry American Greetings products.