Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Stefanos of Levanon
Monarch Researcher

Re: Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

Post by Stefanos of Levanon »

UltramanGoji wrote:The line is selling well so the solution is...to do more of the same figures.

This company is ass-fucking-backwards.
Yes, because believe it or not that is how a market for something works. If enough of something sells then the likelihood of it getting a second run is high.

UltramanGoji wrote:
Chris55 wrote: If it's making $ and selling out, keep it going. That's the business.
That’s skreeonking stupid. The people behind this line are idiots.

If the characters sell so well, why not actually make something new that collectors and the casual audience will buy? It’s astounding to me that they think they can chug out the 1968, 1954 Godzilla’s, the GMK Ghidorah, Rainbow Mothra, King Caesar, and Mechagodzilla 74 over and over again and justify it each time. It’s skreeonking ridiculous and truly shows that they don’t even care to put one iota of effort into this line. They’d rather lazily chuck out the same six molds every five years than actually bother to do anything unique. What a joke.
Again, this makes sense, you're just failing to understand how business works.

The idea of a "something new that collects and casual audience will buy" is the NECA line of figures as they're the "most" comparable to Marvel Legends, a series of figures aimed at both collectors and the casual audience.

The reason they keep releasing the same molds over and over is because people are BUYING them, meaning that it's making a profit instead of sitting on a shelve for months until clearance.

It's a pretty standard and perfect line up of characters for something like a vinyl line.
>Has your Godzilla options.
>Has a Mothra.
>Has a Ghidorah.
>Has a Mechagodzilla.
>Has a wildcard character.

Considering that you're bitching on the internet and are a Godzilla fan you should know and realize that Bandai Japan are making vinyls for different characters, right? If you're so keen on the idea that "Oh they're lazy and not giving me what I want!", then what's stopping you from ordering a figure from the Japanese line on Amazon or any site that has the option?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Well, it'd be cool to get that same variety of characters for $12 at Walmart as opposed to $25 on Amazon, and you can be sure you'll get a figure with no defects.

Can't blame the company for not thinking that way, though...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

If they are gonna continue with just rereleasing figures. At least rerelease the ones People really want. Final wars Gigan, destroyah, Space Godzilla, Final wars Anguirus, they could make a lot more than they are now if they just rereleased the older figures.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Stefanos of Levanon wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:The line is selling well so the solution is...to do more of the same figures.

This company is ass-fucking-backwards.
Yes, because believe it or not that is how a market for something works. If enough of something sells then the likelihood of it getting a second run is high.

UltramanGoji wrote:
Chris55 wrote: If it's making $ and selling out, keep it going. That's the business.
That’s skreeonking stupid. The people behind this line are idiots.

If the characters sell so well, why not actually make something new that collectors and the casual audience will buy? It’s astounding to me that they think they can chug out the 1968, 1954 Godzilla’s, the GMK Ghidorah, Rainbow Mothra, King Caesar, and Mechagodzilla 74 over and over again and justify it each time. It’s skreeonking ridiculous and truly shows that they don’t even care to put one iota of effort into this line. They’d rather lazily chuck out the same six molds every five years than actually bother to do anything unique. What a joke.
Again, this makes sense, you're just failing to understand how business works.

The idea of a "something new that collects and casual audience will buy" is the NECA line of figures as they're the "most" comparable to Marvel Legends, a series of figures aimed at both collectors and the casual audience.

The reason they keep releasing the same molds over and over is because people are BUYING them, meaning that it's making a profit instead of sitting on a shelve for months until clearance.

It's a pretty standard and perfect line up of characters for something like a vinyl line.
>Has your Godzilla options.
>Has a Mothra.
>Has a Ghidorah.
>Has a Mechagodzilla.
>Has a wildcard character.

Considering that you're bitching on the internet and are a Godzilla fan you should know and realize that Bandai Japan are making vinyls for different characters, right? If you're so keen on the idea that "Oh they're lazy and not giving me what I want!", then what's stopping you from ordering a figure from the Japanese line on Amazon or any site that has the option?
Holy crap dude you’re my hero! Finally someone gets it!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Sorry about the unnecessary hostility. I had come off a long shift at work and was venting in the wrong place.

It's just so wild that this seems to be the only toyline that I can think of that survives primarily on reissues for so long. Transformers, Star Wars, etc. all have reissues mixed in with new figures. It's just weird to me that Bandai's okay with being "just good enough" with this line. The reissues sell but wouldn't new figures sell twice as much since more people would be purchasing them than the reissues?

Here's what I mean. Let's say this line has got two types of customers:

- The casual side: those who collect one or two items based on a single character or younger kids who buy them to play with
- The hardcore side: completists, those who collect box variations, etc. are usually long-time fans who've been with the line since the beginning

The casual collector wouldn't know that these are reissues since they wouldn't be the type to look up the line's history and would only see the figures in stores. They would also not be the type of collector who notices the differences between each version of the characters. The hardcore collector is someone who knows the figures are reissues and doesn't buy them because they're the same ones he's collected years prior. Of course, there's tons of variations on these two (the hardcore collector who missed out on a certain figure years ago, the casual collector who bought the same one years ago, etc.) but you get what I'm saying.

With this in mind, I really don't think it's the molds themselves that sell well but the characters. Casual collectors see a King Ghidorah figure and buy it because it's King Ghidorah. The hardcore collector, who bought the original release of the King Ghidorah back in 2003 or bought the recent Movie Monsters EX version, doesn't buy it and thus, Bandai doesn't get that sale. So why not ensnare both of these mindsets by releasing a new King Ghidorah figure, maybe based off the Showa incarnation? Now, casual collectors and hardcore collectors would both be buying, thus doubling the amount of sales they would've had if they released the GMK version. You can do this with all the other characters released in the line as well: Godzilla, Mechagodzilla, Mothra. I'm sure both casual and hardcore collectors would be satisfied with a wave consisting of Godzilla 84, Showa KG, GMK Mothra, and Kiryu 02.

Of course, maybe the line isn't selling well enough to justify new molds, even for popular characters. That's probably the case, but I still think a risk should be taken here. You never know, if Bandai America corners the market with a new mold of their own, it could be a hot-ticket item. The original release of King Caesar was pretty big as it was often viewed as the superior option between it and it's Japanese counterpart.

Speaking of Japanese counterparts, yes as a Godzilla fan I would be buying the superior Japanese figures. But guess what? It's not 2006 anymore. Bandai vinyls aren't $12 from a reputable Western dealer anymore. Websites inflate the prices of Japanese imports to almost twice their retail price and buying them straight from Japan comes at the cost of some hefty shipping fees. What would be a $12 figure back in 2006 is now a $27 shipped one today. As for myself, I don't collect individual monsters, I collect any and all Godzilla-related things, even similar figures like Bandai and Bandai America. So "Go buy Japanese stuff" doesn't really apply anymore to me or this hobby. The two just aren't comparable. You're essentially damning people who want a good Western alternative.

Bandai has the same kind of approach WWE has: they're gonna continue to make money by putting out the same stuff year after year, so why bother doing anything innovative or new? It's a successful business model, but it comes at the cost of integrity and creativeness with their product. As a fan, I don't feel like Bandai is doing a service for me. It just feels like they're taking advantage of a hot property to push the same items they've pushed since 2014. They're a business first and foremost but even still: with all the old interviews and polls, it truly seemed like the company started to care about the fans as a whole. Now, whoever's in charge, doesn't have that drive at all. Care has been replaced with complacency.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ok KC was dud, fair enough. But why keep releasing the same versions of Godzilla? Why not at least invest in a 1964 or 89 or 55 or any other version? It's literally just 54 and 2000 endlessly

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Godzillian wrote:Ok KC was dud, fair enough. But why keep releasing the same versions of Godzilla? Why not at least invest in a 1964 or 89 or 55 or any other version? It's literally just 54 and 2000 endlessly
This is a line aimed at the 4+ crowd. It's cool if people collect but the focus is little kids who play with the figures etc. Again, I'd love to see them tackle something new but if the current selection is doing very well, it makes sense from a business standpoint.

Why release the same versions of Godzilla? Because they sell really well.

Godzilla hasn't been on store shelves for a few years BC wise. It was actually dormant for about 3 years with no one in charge of the line. With the movie coming out, they took the old stock, touched up the paint, changed up the boxes and put them out in the US and other territories. They sold VERY well much to BC's surprise so that's why the 2nd printing of the current figures. I'm hoping that things change in the future and that more variety will find it's way into the line. New figures are always a gamble to produce and they have to sell a certain amount so that they're not considered a loss. That's why there are things like repaints etc. Get that double dip money and take a gamble when the time is right.

SDCC is in a few weeks so hopefully new stuff will be announced then.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I don't know my thinking is this, with the so called success of the line, with constantly re-releasing stuff. Can't they just take one risk and make a single new figure? Just one?
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

I sure wish NECA operated the same way as Bandai America. They seemingly made 100 KOTM figures worldwide and that is it. Done! When those 100 sold, they were gone from existence, never to be seen again (I still have never seen any in person). The 90s NECA TMNT figures that were sold exclusively at GameStop couldn't stay on the shelves for longer than a couple minutes and still NECA is like "well those TMNT sold like bricks of gold. So now we must destroy the molds and never speak of them again". It's incredible how two companies can operate as complete opposites.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:I sure wish NECA operated the same way as Bandai America. They seemingly made 100 KOTM figures worldwide and that is it. Done! When those 100 sold, they were gone from existence, never to be seen again (I still have never seen any in person). The 90s NECA TMNT figures that were sold exclusively at GameStop couldn't stay on the shelves for longer than a couple minutes and still NECA is like "well those TMNT sold like bricks of gold. So now we must destroy the molds and never speak of them again". It's incredible how two companies can operate as complete opposites.
Maybe it's just me, but I could benefit from a better comparison of what you mean.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Fermix wrote:
FlawedCoil82 wrote:I sure wish NECA operated the same way as Bandai America. They seemingly made 100 KOTM figures worldwide and that is it. Done! When those 100 sold, they were gone from existence, never to be seen again (I still have never seen any in person). The 90s NECA TMNT figures that were sold exclusively at GameStop couldn't stay on the shelves for longer than a couple minutes and still NECA is like "well those TMNT sold like bricks of gold. So now we must destroy the molds and never speak of them again". It's incredible how two companies can operate as complete opposites.
Maybe it's just me, but I could benefit from a better comparison of what you mean.
What I mean is that Bandai America sees something of theirs selling like crazy and they just fire up all cylinders and keep pumping out more and more of the exact same to flood the market. Yet when NECA sees something of theirs selling like crazy, they stop production of them, even when the demand is still high. Those TMNT figures sold at GameStop like mad and now they are impossible to find and forcing the thousands who still want them to pay waaaay more than they should have to for them on EBay.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:
Fermix wrote:
What I mean is that Bandai America sees something of theirs selling like crazy and they just fire up all cylinders and keep pumping out more and more of the exact same to flood the market. Yet when NECA sees something of theirs selling like crazy, they stop production of them, even when the demand is still high. Those TMNT figures sold at GameStop like mad and now they are impossible to find and forcing the thousands who still want them to pay waaaay more than they should have to for them on EBay.
Ah okay I see what you mean now. On Twitter Randy mentioned that they would make more if GameStop ordered more, since it was a store exclusive. Those TMNT figures in particular are coming to EB Games (same company as GameStop) Canada in September, so I wouldn't be surprised to see them being reissued in the states as well.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Well that would definitely be a good thing. Gamestop would be beyond foolish to not order more with as many people who are still trying to get them. I have one set simply because I pre-ordered one but I really want a second set that I can open and display. As far as the Godzilla and Mothra figures, it looks like the nearest store that has one is 67 miles away. But none of the stores carry both Godzilla and Mothra at the same time to make the drive a bit more worth it.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:I sure wish NECA operated the same way as Bandai America. They seemingly made 100 KOTM figures worldwide and that is it. Done! When those 100 sold, they were gone from existence, never to be seen again (I still have never seen any in person).
Sounds to me like the problem doesn’t lie with NECA and more so you just haven’t been looking in the right areas then because my local Books-A-Million are eat up with the KOTM line and have been since they released.

By the time I decided to snag Mothra, I was pretty late to the game when she released, yet my BAM had at least seven sitting on the shelf.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I don't know my thinking is this, with the so called success of the line, with constantly re-releasing stuff. Can't they just take one risk and make a single new figure? Just one?
They DID - King Seesar. But it was poorly received, and BC got more criticism than praise, so their attitude toward the Bandai America market was probably like, "Why bother?". You want vinyl variety? Go with Bandai Japan...

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

King Caesar sold poorly? I can’t imagine why, especially since every Walmart I’ve been to keeps a couple in stock.

How well did Mechagodzilla do?
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Stump Feet wrote:King Caesar sold poorly? I can’t imagine why, especially since every Walmart I’ve been to keeps a couple in stock.

I'm not quite sure, but I think it did poorly when it was initially released some years ago.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Mechagodzilla sells quickly in my area. KC hangs around some. I'm considering buying one, but the ugly splotches of black paint on KC hold me back...
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Stump Feet wrote:King Caesar sold poorly? I can’t imagine why, especially since every Walmart I’ve been to keeps a couple in stock.

KC was released originally in 2013. Sometimes things just don't catch the first time around.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Stump Feet wrote:
FlawedCoil82 wrote:I sure wish NECA operated the same way as Bandai America. They seemingly made 100 KOTM figures worldwide and that is it. Done! When those 100 sold, they were gone from existence, never to be seen again (I still have never seen any in person).
Sounds to me like the problem doesn’t lie with NECA and more so you just haven’t been looking in the right areas then because my local Books-A-Million are eat up with the KOTM line and have been since they released.

By the time I decided to snag Mothra, I was pretty late to the game when she released, yet my BAM had at least seven sitting on the shelf.
You can only look at stores that exist around you. There are no Books A Million stores anywhere around this part of Ohio. The only options are Target, one of the 20 Gamestop stores or else the off chance that a comic book shop has it at an inflated price.