Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:Well most toy lines for movies start a year in advance. So Bandai America starting things up in 2018 is all but assured I think.
Nnnnot sure which movie toylines you’re thinking of, as the ones I know of have only started being released about a few months before the movie comes out, definitely not a full year.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Maverick Centigrade wrote:Well most toy lines for movies start a year in advance. So Bandai America starting things up in 2018 is all but assured I think.
Nnnnot sure which movie toylines you’re thinking of, as the ones I know of have only started being released about a few months before the movie comes out, definitely not a full year.
I mean the designing and concept stage, before they release.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
I mean the designing and concept stage, before they release.
Ah, in that case you’re right. I imagine Bandai’s already seen the designs of the kaiju and are in planning stages for stuff now.

gridiron_kaiju
Interpol Agent

Post by gridiron_kaiju »

Well Godzilla: KOTM comes out in a year and 2 months so with Toy Fair next month it's probably worth keeping an eye on that hopefully they may at least have some kind of promo or somthing. I remember in 2013 when they had the Godzilla figure hidden underneath the cloth in the display case. Then again with the Bandai USA Godzilla toy line being in hibernation for so long I'm keeping my expectations low.

One thing I think would be cool for Bandai USA to do is those super articulated figures that come with a part where you can build a figure. I was out at Toys R Us and I was just browsing around and saw that Bandai put out 6in super articulated figures for DBZ and Power Rangers that each came with a part where you can build the Megazord or the DBZ Dragon. Could you imagine them putting out super articulated 6in figures of Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra and each coming with a part to build a King Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla figure? I think fans would eat that up. I know you already have the NECA and SHMA figures but this would allow not only a wider release but more monsters too aside from Godzilla. 6in vinyl figures and then 6in super articulated figures both at very affordable prices? That would be a dream! Again I know probably just wishful thinking. I just wish Bandai wouldn't just sit on this license the way they do. Yeah I get Godzilla has to fight for shelf space but come on you're telling me that Bandai can make shelf space for Mecha X4 (have no idea what that is) but not Godzilla? Especially with all these new movies coming out? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

As a fan who enjoys collecting this stuff it does get frustrating because there is ZERO consistency. The fact that a line like Godzilla has to battle for shelf space and yet the same Marvel, DC and Star Wars toys can sit there for (I kid you not) 2-3 years collecting dust with zero consequence is just head scratching. Both Bandai USA and Bandai Japan know the fans are craving new figures. With stores becoming so much more pop culture friendly surely there's room for Godzilla too? I guess we'll see over these next couple of years.

Whew alright just getting some thoughts out of my system.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Most of that has to do with the characters origins. Toho is very strict with the license, more so than any other media franchise I’ve ever seen. It’s not a homegrown franchise here in America, most of the products come from Japan. Not to mention, Warner Brothers is also a big stakeholder in the merchandise apparently, having barred Bluefin from importing some of the upcoming SHMA figures.

However, I dont know if the same restrictions apply with Bandai America, since it’s a subsidiary of Bandai. Since they have the master license in Japan, I wonder if the same rings true over here.

Chris did say that a Bandai rep told him to keep an eye out for ToyFair. Maybe we’ll see something there after all.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

gridiron_kaiju wrote:Well Godzilla: KOTM comes out in a year and 2 months so with Toy Fair next month it's probably worth keeping an eye on that hopefully they may at least have some kind of promo or somthing. I remember in 2013 when they had the Godzilla figure hidden underneath the cloth in the display case. Then again with the Bandai USA Godzilla toy line being in hibernation for so long I'm keeping my expectations low.

One thing I think would be cool for Bandai USA to do is those super articulated figures that come with a part where you can build a figure. I was out at Toys R Us and I was just browsing around and saw that Bandai put out 6in super articulated figures for DBZ and Power Rangers that each came with a part where you can build the Megazord or the DBZ Dragon. Could you imagine them putting out super articulated 6in figures of Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra and each coming with a part to build a King Ghidorah or MechaGodzilla figure? I think fans would eat that up. I know you already have the NECA and SHMA figures but this would allow not only a wider release but more monsters too aside from Godzilla. 6in vinyl figures and then 6in super articulated figures both at very affordable prices? That would be a dream! Again I know probably just wishful thinking. I just wish Bandai wouldn't just sit on this license the way they do. Yeah I get Godzilla has to fight for shelf space but come on you're telling me that Bandai can make shelf space for Mecha X4 (have no idea what that is) but not Godzilla? Especially with all these new movies coming out? Just doesn't make any sense to me.

As a fan who enjoys collecting this stuff it does get frustrating because there is ZERO consistency. The fact that a line like Godzilla has to battle for shelf space and yet the same Marvel, DC and Star Wars toys can sit there for (I kid you not) 2-3 years collecting dust with zero consequence is just head scratching. Both Bandai USA and Bandai Japan know the fans are craving new figures. With stores becoming so much more pop culture friendly surely there's room for Godzilla too? I guess we'll see over these next couple of years.

I doubt there will be be anything at Toyfair, it's far too early. Comic Con maybe, that would be the better place to tease merchandise.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:
gridiron_kaiju wrote:Well Godzilla: KOTM comes out in a year and 2 months so with Toy Fair next month it's probably worth keeping an eye on that hopefully they may at least have some kind of promo or somthing. I remember in 2013 when they had the Godzilla figure hidden underneath the cloth in the display case. Then again with the Bandai USA Godzilla toy line being in hibernation for so long I'm keeping my expectations low.

I doubt there will be be anything at Toyfair, it's far too early. Comic Con maybe, that would be the better place to tease merchandise.
I was told "keep an eye on Toyfair" a few weeks ago by someone at Bandai. I don't know if it's Godzilla, something else, or what but hey, maybe something cool will show up.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

That's interesting...if not Godzilla, I wonder what other licenses Bandai has big plans for at ToyFair.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:That's interesting...if not Godzilla, I wonder what other licenses Bandai has big plans for at ToyFair.
I'm not too familiar with what other licenses they have outside of Godzilla and Power Rangers.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

They have Dragon Ball.

bonziebonzie
Yojimbo

Post by bonziebonzie »

Maybe they could be releasing stuff related to Shin Godzilla or Planet of the Monsters.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

Does anyone have a picture or could please take one of the Burning Godzilla Fusion figure next to something like the BC-MechaGodzilla 74/Neca GMK Atomic? Either one would do

I recently found a Fusion for a okay price but it's still up there and I don't know whether or not it's worth it

Could anyone recommend it?

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not really. It’s one of the least impressive fusion figures and IMO looks really cheap next to other figures on the shelf. Only ones I’d say are worth it are Gigan and Mothra.

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Not really. It’s one of the least impressive fusion figures and IMO looks really cheap next to other figures on the shelf. Only ones I’d say are worth it are Gigan and Mothra.

Agreed, you'd be much better off with those two.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

GodzillaFreak99 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Not really. It’s one of the least impressive fusion figures and IMO looks really cheap next to other figures on the shelf. Only ones I’d say are worth it are Gigan and Mothra.

Agreed, you'd be much better off with those two.
You guys are right.

It is a pretty cheap looking figure. I simply wanted it because it's the closest I can get to the original or reissue Burning Godzilla without spending over $60

And $9.75 shipping :|

Guess I could get this horrendous bootleg lol

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076WSBP3R/re ... zilla&th=1

Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Honestly, just go for the new Bandai Japan Burning Godzilla. It’s a million times better looking than that bootleg.

Or you could try tracking down the Movie Monsters series figure if you’re really desperate for a vinyl BurningG.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

UltramanGoji wrote:Honestly, just go for the new Bandai Japan Burning Godzilla. It’s a million times better looking than that bootleg.

Or you could try tracking down the Movie Monsters series figure if you’re really desperate for a vinyl BurningG.
I've thought about it several times but never really liked the look of it.

But thank you for answering!

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

ROMG4 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Honestly, just go for the new Bandai Japan Burning Godzilla. It’s a million times better looking than that bootleg.

I've thought about it several times but never really liked the look of it.

But thank you for answering!

I personally prefer the BC fig. myself, but I gotta agree with Ultramangoji, if yout looking for a Burning Godzilla for a decent 'price, you should go with the movie monster series version.
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

So much for that Poll, am I right? :lol:

Man this line just suddenly vanished didn't it? There hasn't been a single release since 2015 which is amazing because prior the line had never missed a year

Really don't understand some of their directions towards the end of it

I mean they kept spamming Godzilla 1954 and King Caesar even though King Caesar didn't sell that well

Why not issue Destroyah, Gigan, or Angurius?

Seriously I'm desperate for a Angurius even if it is Final Wars Angurius

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Chris always said that the First Godzilla mold "sold well" which is why it was reissued, but of course it's gonna sell if it's the only one available.

They could've easily sculpted a new Godzilla suit each wave and included a new monster or reissue alongside it, but they continually re-released a single (terrible) mold that everyone already owned.

I'm not looking forward to any stuff BC is doing for Godzilla KOTM. I have no reason to be invested in them when they're just going to disappear when the hype dies down.