Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations discussion

Post by UltramanGoji »

Legion1979 wrote:The King Seasar BC figure uses a good paint job and decent detail to fool you into thinking it's a good figure.
Or, you know, it's just a good figure.

Comparing these two to these three images, neither is exactly accurate, but the Bandai America one has a step ahead. The Japanese one has overly long arms, short legs, little-to-no paint on the lower half, a wider horizontal frame (it's fatter), and small, stubby ears. The American one has a slightly off face. Both feature less hair than the suit.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Legion1979 wrote:The King Seasar BC figure uses a good paint job and decent detail to fool you into thinking about all the rest of it are far, far below their Japanese counterparts.
Um, no.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

But at the end of the day, when you get right down to it, we're arguing about toys. Toys for children. So if you want accuracy, dish out the cash for an X-Plus or a Marmit kit, which will have the best possible detail you could buy. With BOTH Bandai lines, play value comes before detail, which is why aspects are often overlooked or missed. Detail is an important factor, of course- but play value comes first. Because it's a toy. And it's meant primarily for kids, who are going to play with it. If certain parts are bulked up or unpainted, it's usually either
A. too small of a detail to consider for a cheap and mass-produced toy, or
B. would be too fragile if it wasn't made to be durable enough (and we don't want kids breaking their figures now, do we?).

In the long run, they're meant to be played with.

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

I think the KC figure was a shelf warmer largely because he was being sold in TRU, which is 99% toy sales to or for kids, and kids really had no knowledge of the character. I mean the big G foes, Mothra, KG, Mechagodzilla are essentially pop culture icons by this point. The kids know of them almost by osmosis. But King Caesar? Not so much. Which is kind of a shame. I luv me some giant puppy dog monster. But to kids? They wonder why there is a Muppet in a Godzilla box? And even worse, they don't know his story. Is he a good guy? A bad guy? Does he fight with or against Godzilla? These things are important to kids. But they would not have encountered anything to tell them this. At best they saw about a minute of him in the extremely confusing Final Wars with no explanation.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Kaijugriffey wrote:I think the KC figure was a shelf warmer largely because he was being sold in TRU, which is 99% toy sales to or for kids, and kids really had no knowledge of the character. I mean the big G foes, Mothra, KG, Mechagodzilla are essentially pop culture icons by this point. The kids know of them almost by osmosis. But King Caesar? Not so much. Which is kind of a shame. I luv me some giant puppy dog monster. But to kids? They wonder why there is a Muppet in a Godzilla box? And even worse, they don't know his story. Is he a good guy? A bad guy? Does he fight with or against Godzilla? These things are important to kids. But they would not have encountered anything to tell them this. At best they saw about a minute of him in the extremely confusing Final Wars with no explanation.
Honestly, Bandai should really put character descriptions on the back of the boxes. That way kids can learn more about the monsters.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

cmdmstudios wrote:
Kaijugriffey wrote:I think the KC figure was a shelf warmer largely because he was being sold in TRU, which is 99% toy sales to or for kids, and kids really had no knowledge of the character. I mean the big G foes, Mothra, KG, Mechagodzilla are essentially pop culture icons by this point. The kids know of them almost by osmosis. But King Caesar? Not so much. Which is kind of a shame. I luv me some giant puppy dog monster. But to kids? They wonder why there is a Muppet in a Godzilla box? And even worse, they don't know his story. Is he a good guy? A bad guy? Does he fight with or against Godzilla? These things are important to kids. But they would not have encountered anything to tell them this. At best they saw about a minute of him in the extremely confusing Final Wars with no explanation.
Honestly, Bandai should really put character descriptions on the back of the boxes. That way kids can learn more about the monsters.
I'm all ears.
Last edited by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 on Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

That is a good point. But kids must've changed how they buy toys. When I was a kid, whether it was Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or X-Men figures, I always bought any new character whenever I saw them, whether I knew who they were or not. Even Trendmasters' Godzilla figures! When I first saw Battra and Spacegodzilla, I had no clue who they were. I figured they had run out of monsters and was creating their own. But still I never hesitated in buying them. As long as it was a character I didnt know, I could make up my own scenarios, as long as it gave me new toys to fight my old ones.
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Bandai America should've used Jakk's Godzilla bio for their G14 toys. I was disappointed when BC didn't put them on their G14 merchandise. At least Jakks pacific got it right.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote: I'm all ears with this.
That's not how you use that expression. "I'm all ears" means "I'm listening", so "I'm listening with this" doesn't make any sense.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

It's no surprise that Caesar sold poorly. We don't have Godzillathons being played on TV channels anymore, and there's no buyable Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla DVD without getting a bootleg (and parents aren't going to want to buy a bootleg DVD for their children). So not only does the lack of Godzilla exposure mean there are less new fans who are children, children who may be getting into Godzilla have no way to access the film. I know it's findable online but young children probably haven't mastered Google-Fu yet if they're allowed online at all. And sure, they can watch Final Wars, but Caesar is given no characterization there and looks completely different. I'm doubtful a child would look at the 74 and 04 Caesars and say they're the same monster.

Now, this may not have been an issue if Caesar had a lot of things to his design that would appeal to children. But he doesn't. He has this weird, somewhat ugly dog face and somewhat weirdly-placed fur. Of course these make sense if you know about shisas, but is a five-year-old American kid going to know about shisas? For the rare ones that do, are they going to understand or care that much about the cultural significance shisas have in Japan? Didn't think so.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Honestly, I think King Caesar is more of the right figure at the wrong time. He would have sold better had he been released during the 50th Anniversary, when that was one of the more common films on video and a bit better known than now. Even so, he's not a very popular monster to begin with so it's a wonder the figure got that far at all.

There is an obvious boost in the series' popularity, however. Where I live, the Japanese-related Godzilla items sell like hotcakes. Kids in my local area have taken up the mantle of buying every Godzilla related item they see. The 2014 stuff was popular too, but not like the classic Godzilla stuff is.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Kaijugriffey wrote:I think the KC figure was a shelf warmer largely because he was being sold in TRU, which is 99% toy sales to or for kids, and kids really had no knowledge of the character.
I disagree my Target/Meijer had them for sell as well and sold even less then what TRU did. And no it wasn't just KC it was Godzilla and Mothra as well.
Kaijugriffey wrote:And even worse, they don't know his story. Is he a good guy? A bad guy? Does he fight with or against Godzilla? These things are important to kids.
I would agree that a little info on the back wouldn't hurt but don't think that hurt KC sells in the long run it was just like you said KC was just an extremely obscure Godzilla monster.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

The reason I skipped out on the KC figure is because I hated how inaccurate it looked.
I know the previous Bandai KC figure was even less accurate, but I don't care, I'll just wait till some company FINALLY does a proper, film accurate Showa KC.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Honestly what it came down too was BC making a bad decision. A showa rodan or mothra, maybe a different godzilla like 84 or 55 would have sold way better. King Ceasar isn't well known in America outside of the fan base. He was just a bad choice for BC to go with.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Kids would buy a normal 6-Inch 2003 Kiryu if they see one.

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

FlawedCoil82
G-Force Personnel

Post by FlawedCoil82 »

Lain Of The Wired wrote:The reason I skipped out on the KC figure is because I hated how inaccurate it looked.
I know the previous Bandai KC figure was even less accurate, but I don't care, I'll just wait till some company FINALLY does a proper, film accurate Showa KC.
Oh I know! When I first saw him, I thought "Why did they give King Kong such big floppy dog ears and a bad case of mange?!" It looked nothing like King Caesar. When a company sells me a $10 vinyl toy, I will accept nothing but absolute perfection!

Anyway....yea he was an obscure monster. But thats why it kills me that people ask Bandai America or figures like Varan or Magma, like those would would actually sell. People want Megalon or Titanosaurus and yet they each had only a single appearance. King Caesar appeared in TWO movies and still it didnt sell (as you see above, when an already small fanbase has so many fans within it who dont support a line due to it not being perfection or are just biased, it also dries up Bandai America's profit pool much quicker).
Katatonia, Within Temptation, Klone, Tool, Poets Of The Fall, Lacuna Coil, Flaw, Breaking Benjamin, The Birthday Massacre, My Epic, Autumn, A Perfect Circle, Evanescence, Bush, Silverchair ('94-'01), Evergrey, Metallica, etc.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

FlawedCoil82 wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:The reason I skipped out on the KC figure is because I hated how inaccurate it looked.
Oh I know! When I first saw him, I thought "Why did they give King Kong such big floppy dog ears and a bad case of mange?!" It looked nothing like King Caesar. When a company sells me a $10 vinyl toy, I will accept nothing but absolute perfection!

Anyway....yea he was an obscure monster. But thats why it kills me that people ask Bandai America or figures like Varan or Magma, like those would would actually sell. People want Megalon or Titanosaurus and yet they each had only a single appearance. King Caesar appeared in TWO movies and still it didnt sell (as you see above, when an already small fanbase has so many fans within it who dont support a line due to it not being perfection or are just biased, it also dries up Bandai America's profit pool much quicker).
One thing I've learned from the Godzilla fanbase is that, no matter what gets released, the fans won't be satisfied. Bandai Creations could announce that they're releasing a Megalon, for example, and everyone would go berserk and be incredibly impatient until it is finally released. Then it comes out and... "Oh it isn't detailed" or "it doesn't look like the one in the movie" or "oh God the old Japanese Bandai one from 20+ years ago is WAY better," etc. The complaints aren't going to end regardless of the steps the company takes. Even if a figure of Varan or Titanosaurus did get made, it would be criticized more than it would be praised.

That being said, King Caesar was never a very popular monster to begin with. Characters like Mechagodzilla, Gigan, Ghidorah... they sell not only because they're well known, but probably because they look cool to children. I like King Caesar myself, but he's got a goofy look to him and for some kids that's not as intriguing as a three headed dragon or a Godzilla from space.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Creature22 wrote: One thing I've learned from the Godzilla fanbase is that, no matter what gets released, the fans won't be satisfied. Bandai Creations could announce that they're releasing a Megalon, for example, and everyone would go berserk and be incredibly impatient until it is finally released. Then it comes out and... "Oh it isn't detailed" or "it doesn't look like the one in the movie" or "oh God the old Japanese Bandai one from 20+ years ago is WAY better," etc.
Pretty sure that's exactly what happened with KC. Everyone was jumping out of the chairs praising that they are making a KC figure and was so glad. Everyone was out searching for one like it was the holy grail. Then once they had it started to have second thoughts. Finally everyone says its a poor attempt at a obscure monster. I doubt that would change no matter what figure is made.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

DoubleDam21 wrote:
Creature22 wrote: One thing I've learned from the Godzilla fanbase is that, no matter what gets released, the fans won't be satisfied. Bandai Creations could announce that they're releasing a Megalon, for example, and everyone would go berserk and be incredibly impatient until it is finally released. Then it comes out and... "Oh it isn't detailed" or "it doesn't look like the one in the movie" or "oh God the old Japanese Bandai one from 20+ years ago is WAY better," etc.
Pretty sure that's exactly what happened with KC. Everyone was jumping out of the chairs praising that they are making a KC figure and was so glad. Everyone was out searching for one like it was the holy grail. Then once they had it started to have second thoughts. Finally everyone says its a poor attempt at a obscure monster. I doubt that would change no matter what figure is made.
It's a pretty unappreciative fan base, honestly :( . Since going on the forums I've seen more complaints about the stupidest things that it makes me embarrassed to be a Godzilla fan sometimes. Right now everyone's asking for Megalon or Biollante to be made into figures and whatnot... I can guarantee that if that ever happens, the same people that constantly badger about them getting made will be complaining about how Bandai didn't "do it right" or something along those lines.

GODZILLA2877
G-Force Personnel

Post by GODZILLA2877 »

I'm surprised that Toys R Us still sells Godzilla toys. They are always pushed to the back in a dark corner with a step ladder right in front of them so you can't even see them. Oh, but they got an aisle filled with nothing but Marvel crap. :mad:
You don't know how bad I want to throw all that Marvel stuff on the floor and replace it with Godzilla. I like the Marvel films but I don't care for any of the stupid crappy figures.