Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations Discussion

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Legion1979
Justiriser

Re: Godzilla Bandai USA/Creations discussion

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm sorry, as far as actual suit likeness goes, the original Bandai Japan 1954 Godzilla is still the 6" figure to beat. It's a little older now, sure, but it totally gets how the suit is supposed to look; the curve and design of the tail, the stance, the legs, the feet, the upturned thumbs, the face...the figure gets almost everything right. I think people tend to get sculpt detail and suit accuracy mixed up when comparing the BC figures to the Japanese stuff. The second BC '54 does have good surface detail, but it doesn't nail the suit the way the Bandai Japan one does. Not even close. The face alone is a disaster. As someone else just said, the face should be the most important part of a sculpt. And it the case of the second BC 1954 Godzilla, the face fails completely.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Well, I have a feeling the NECA is going to beat the Bandai Japan '54. Well, whenever it gets released in the next few years or whatever.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

I wish that instead of releasing new molds, the BC line was just reissues of the Japanese ones for the most part.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I think a lot of the hate this line gets is because of BC and their lack of initiative. It's a 6 inch vinyl Godzilla line readily available in most American retail stores yet it's endless reissues. New and younger fans have what 3 or 4 choices at best when it comes to getting this line.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Legion1979 wrote:I'm sorry, as far as actual suit likeness goes, the original Bandai Japan 1954 Godzilla is still the 6" figure to beat. It's a little older now, sure, but it totally gets how the suit is supposed to look; the curve and design of the tail, the stance, the legs, the feet, the upturned thumbs, the face...the figure gets almost everything right. I think people tend to get sculpt detail and suit accuracy mixed up when comparing the BC figures to the Japanese stuff. The second BC '54 does have good surface detail, but it doesn't nail the suit the way the Bandai Japan one does. Not even close. The face alone is a disaster. As someone else just said, the face should be the most important part of a sculpt. And it the case of the second BC 1954 Godzilla, the face fails completely.
If the face is the most important part of the sculpt, then the NECA Godzilla 84 is the best figure in the line and Bandai USA's first 1954 is as good or better than Bandai Japan's. (Not to mention, the second Bandai USA 54 is pretty accurate overall, aside from the face) I think we can agree that the face is not the end-all be-all of a good sculpt, regardless of its importance. Which is not to say that makes the second 54 figure great, but it's far from a failure.

Speaking of, when I first saw that 1954, it was in the same wave as a 6" 2004 figure that actually looked like the suit--as opposed to the 12" abomination. I wish Bandai would reissue that one instead of only using it for overpriced convention exclusives.
Castellan Zilla wrote:Well, I have a feeling the NECA is going to beat the Bandai Japan '54.
No argument here. Looks to be one of the best figures of it ever made.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Legion1979 wrote:I'm sorry, as far as actual suit likeness goes, the original Bandai Japan 1954 Godzilla is still the 6" figure to beat. It's a little older now, sure, but it totally gets how the suit is supposed to look; the curve and design of the tail, the stance, the legs, the feet, the upturned thumbs, the face...the figure gets almost everything right. I think people tend to get sculpt detail and suit accuracy mixed up when comparing the BC figures to the Japanese stuff. The second BC '54 does have good surface detail, but it doesn't nail the suit the way the Bandai Japan one does. Not even close. The face alone is a disaster. As someone else just said, the face should be the most important part of a sculpt. And it the case of the second BC 1954 Godzilla, the face fails completely.
The Bandai Japan Godzilla 1954 is amazing. It's one of my favorite Bandai figures. The detail is very spot on with the original suit, and it's the only Bandai Godzilla 1954 to accurately get the design of the clawed feet and the face right in my opinion. From nearly every angle, it's a great representation of Godzilla 1954. I don't have the newer Bandai Creations figure but the pose never really appealed to me (it's a little exaggerated, especially since the 1954 Gojira wasn't a very mobile suit). It kind of reminded me more of one that would be drawn on a poster.

MM The Destroyer
Terminated
Terminated

Post by MM The Destroyer »

Creature22 wrote:
I'm sorry, as far as actual suit likeness goes, the original Bandai Japan 1954 Godzilla is still the 6" figure to beat. It's a little older now, sure, but it totally gets how the suit is supposed to look; the curve and design of the tail, the stance, the legs, the feet, the upturned thumbs, the face...the figure gets almost everything right. I think people tend to get sculpt detail and suit accuracy mixed up when comparing the BC figures to the Japanese stuff. The second BC '54 does have good surface detail, but it doesn't nail the suit the way the Bandai Japan one does. Not even close. The face alone is a disaster. As someone else just said, the face should be the most important part of a sculpt. And it the case of the second BC 1954 Godzilla, the face fails completely.
The Bandai Japan Godzilla 1954 is amazing. It's one of my favorite Bandai figures. The detail is very spot on with the original suit, and it's the only Bandai Godzilla 1954 to accurately get the design of the clawed feet and the face right in my opinion. From nearly every angle, it's a great representation of Godzilla 1954. I don't have the newer Bandai Creations figure but the pose never really appealed to me (it's a little exaggerated, especially since the 1954 Gojira wasn't a very mobile suit). It kind of reminded me more of one that would be drawn on a poster.
Cool. Maybe you should take that to the Bandai Japan thread.
I'm Back... for a... Damn it, I lost count!
Godzelda wrote:
Inferno Rodan wrote:But regardless, what on earth makes you think that, say, Spacegodzilla's Corona beam, which penetrated Godzilla's hide on more than one occasion, is more damaging than a nuke on a point-for-point basis?
It hurt Godzilla. That's why I think that.

TK's #1 most reported, popular, hated, loved, sarcastic kaiju pleb.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:I don't think that's likely to happen, because kids can tell when a figure is better. After all, I doubt any kid saw the Trendmasters figures compared to the Imperials and didn't see Trendmasters as a huge step up. (Even with figures as ugly as their Gigan and Biollante) But if that did happen, the seasoned collector should bite their tongue because you're using a kid as an example. There's no reason to harass a kid over their opinion on a toy.

Especially since X-Plus makes what are basically statues. Hard to play with statues, and for kids that's a bigger issue.
I can't comment especially on that, but in terms of Bandai Japan and Bandai Creation, I think that's one where kids really can't tell the difference. It was more so a point that it's generally people who prefer BC who aren't 'experienced collectors' who know better - the point isn't as contentious as it seems.

I agree with you on X-Plus honestly, in a lot of ways I hate associating them with most other collectibles because they're such a different animal. That's not an insult to X-Plus in any sense.
MM The Destroyer wrote:Still say the remake G'54 from BC is TONS better than the overly reissued Japanese mold.
In ten years of G-Fests, the original Bandai G54 is one of the only figures I've not seen shoot up in price at all and still see dozens of at dealer tables on Sundays after everything else has sold out cheap or gotten too expensive. I'm half-tempted to buy one but I always try to hold out for a new monster. (And end up taking back another Godzilla...)

I'd love to see them try a hand at repainting it though. It's a little bright.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

MM The Destroyer wrote:
Creature22 wrote:
Cool. Maybe you should take that to the Bandai Japan thread.
It's just an opinion; I like Bandai Creations fine and I'm not intending to down-talk it. I kept a few of mine like Rodan and Mechagodzilla 2, who was pretty well done. Godzilla 2001 wasn't bad either.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

I still have 90% of my BCs still with me... Don't judge me.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:I still have 90% of my BCs still with me... Don't judge me.
So I have 18 and I'm not ashamed...they are cheap Godzilla figures so why not.

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I have all the BC releases. I'll buy more when new ones come out. They're not perfect but I like them.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Tim85 wrote:I have all the BC releases. I'll buy more when new ones come out. They're not perfect but I like them.
This.

It could be a mix of things for me but I feel the same way. Reissues or not, I'll look forward to them.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

Hey, at least the BC figures are always good for a laugh. In some way.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

KaijuFiend
Rainbowzilla

Post by KaijuFiend »

I don't have a ton of money. I like BC because of the affordability, and being able to find them at TRUs instead of ordering online is also a big plus. No shipping costs, no waiting for them to arrive, ability to cherry-pick. At this point in time I don't have the funds to be spending hundreds on Marmits or SHMAs or what-have-you, so BC is my go-to line. Of course it's possible for things to change in the future, but that's where I'm at now.

bczilla91
Monarch Researcher

Post by bczilla91 »

Bandai Is Partnering With Diamond Distributors – Press Release
http://news.toyark.com/2015/08/11/banda ... ase-172852

Diamond Appointed Master Distributor for Bandai America Products

Leading toy manufacturer signs with Diamond to distribute and market its products in the U.S.

(BALTIMORE, MD) — (August 11, 2015) — Diamond Comic Distributors has finalized negotiations with Bandai America Incorporated to become a Master Distributor for the leading toy manufacturer. The deal makes Diamond the preferred distributor on behalf of Bandai America to select retailers throughout the United States.

Bandai America is home to some of the most powerful entertainment toy brands, including Power Rangers, Big Hero 6™, GODZILLA™, and SprüKits®, as well as extremely successful Japanese hobby and collector lines.

“We have a long standing strategic partnership with Diamond,” said Michael Ciminera, Bandai America’s Vice President of Sales. “We fully believe in their ability to distribute and market Bandai products far and wide into the U.S. market.”

“We’re gratified by the trust Bandai America has placed in us to be their Master Distributor,” said Diamond’s Director of Vendor Development, Eric Burkhardt. “We look forward to partnering with them to grow Bandai America’s diverse and successful product lines to U.S. toy , hobby and specialty retailers.”

Diamond will support Bandai America launches through its monthly PREVIEWS catalog, innovative programs to its retailer partners, and other unique marketing and distribution services.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Man, wounldnt it be so awesome to get "Diamond Select" Godzilla toys? Like they do with Marvel? Shame it's only distribution.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:Man, wounldnt it be so awesome to get "Diamond Select" Godzilla toys? Like they do with Marvel? Shame it's only distribution.

Does this news really mean anything beyond Diamond is gonna start distributing/maketing what BC makes? Hopefully they can give BC's stuff more attention, I guess.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Mechagigan wrote:
Maverick Centigrade wrote:Man, wounldnt it be so awesome to get "Diamond Select" Godzilla toys? Like they do with Marvel? Shame it's only distribution.
http://media1.giphy.com/media/ANbD1CCdA3iI8/giphy.gif

Does this news really mean anything beyond Diamond is gonna start distributing/maketing what BC makes? Hopefully they can give BC's stuff more attention, I guess.
Yeah, my hope is that Diamond will be more aggressive in putting the figures out there, which in turn will encourage more production.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

bczilla91 wrote:Bandai Is Partnering With Diamond Distributors – Press Release
http://news.toyark.com/2015/08/11/banda ... ase-172852

Diamond Appointed Master Distributor for Bandai America Products

Leading toy manufacturer signs with Diamond to distribute and market its products in the U.S.

(BALTIMORE, MD) — (August 11, 2015) — Diamond Comic Distributors has finalized negotiations with Bandai America Incorporated to become a Master Distributor for the leading toy manufacturer. The deal makes Diamond the preferred distributor on behalf of Bandai America to select retailers throughout the United States.

Bandai America is home to some of the most powerful entertainment toy brands, including Power Rangers, Big Hero 6™, GODZILLA™, and SprüKits®, as well as extremely successful Japanese hobby and collector lines.

“We have a long standing strategic partnership with Diamond,” said Michael Ciminera, Bandai America’s Vice President of Sales. “We fully believe in their ability to distribute and market Bandai products far and wide into the U.S. market.”

“We’re gratified by the trust Bandai America has placed in us to be their Master Distributor,” said Diamond’s Director of Vendor Development, Eric Burkhardt. “We look forward to partnering with them to grow Bandai America’s diverse and successful product lines to U.S. toy , hobby and specialty retailers.”

Diamond will support Bandai America launches through its monthly PREVIEWS catalog, innovative programs to its retailer partners, and other unique marketing and distribution services.
So NO distributing Bandai Japan figures over here? Fuck.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon