Official Trendmasters Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
trendmasters
GPN Volunteer

Re: Official Trendmasters Thread 2.0

Post by trendmasters »

Absolutely they were. I have one of the '98 movie Godzilla figures from Japan right beside me. Same box as the North American version, but with some Japanese writing on it, and some English, with a bog red square that says BANDAI in white inside of it. There was many others, including the Doom Island line as well.

swampgator91
Ronin

Post by swampgator91 »

Well according to G-FAN 15 Trendmasters not only had Destroyah and Kumonga planned but also acquired the rights to Kamacuras, Gabara, Manda, Hedorah, Ebirah, and Baby Godzilla

Doom Island could've really been something
its a real shame they didnt produce it

but from what I have read is the big chains were only interested in devoting shelf space to Batman and Star Wars and they weren't getting the orders they needed to continue production.

I also think its cool how Doom Island was going to capitalize on the popularity of Dinosaurs (Jurassic Park) and Transformers with the vs. Dino sets and the Mega Mutations.

trendmasters
GPN Volunteer

Post by trendmasters »

Trendmasters not only had Destroyah and Kumonga planned but also acquired the rights to Kamacuras, Gabara, Manda, Hedorah, Ebirah, and Baby Godzilla
If you look at my other posts swampgator, you will see, I posted a picture of a 4" Doom Island Destroyah and Kamacuras, along with the original artwork they would have used for the creation of Manda and the one they did use for Kamacuras.

And they DID produce Doom Island. Just not as extensively as they had planned...

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Legion1979 wrote:
trendmasters wrote:Absolutely they were. I have one of the '98 movie Godzilla figures from Japan right beside me. Same box as the North American version, but with some Japanese writing on it, and some English, with a bog red square that says BANDAI in white inside of it. There was many others, including the Doom Island line as well.
My question is...considering all the amazing stuff that was being released in Japan in the '90s why exactly would anyone there give a rat's patootie about the TM toys?
If most fans didn't even know of the Heisei series was being released, d'you really think they knew about the toys?
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

JVM wrote:I'd recommend scanning each and putting them up before you sell them since I remember quite a few people didn't even know what some of the cards said.
I second this. I'd love to see scans of these.
zilla103192 wrote:i was never into showa gamera... are the TM figures suit accurate or did they go all GODZILLA on them and do redesigns?
Redesigned. Very much so.
speaking of... why did trendmasters redesign the monsters?
I've always wanted to know this myself. Or rather, why they redesigned some monsters and remained faithful to others. To see perfect renderings of MOGERA, SpaceGodzilla and Mechagodzilla next to such bizarre redesigns of Anguirus, Megalon and Baragon was just... weird.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

Monster Master wrote:
Legion1979 wrote:
trendmasters wrote:Absolutely they were. I have one of the '98 movie Godzilla figures from Japan right beside me. Same box as the North American version, but with some Japanese writing on it, and some English, with a bog red square that says BANDAI in white inside of it. There was many others, including the Doom Island line as well.
My question is...considering all the amazing stuff that was being released in Japan in the '90s why exactly would anyone there give a rat's patootie about the TM toys?
Because they were f'n awesome, that's why.
* fist bumps MM

they were. just because they werent suit accurate doesnt mean they were bad toys guys :roll:
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

swampgator91
Ronin

Post by swampgator91 »

Hellspawn28 wrote:I still think seeing Trendmasters toys of the rest Showa monsters would have been nice. I think Trendmasters Jet Jaguar would have look similar to Matt Frank's GNeo JJ. Hard to believe no figures of Hedorah from Trendmasters where made.

I agree but the cool thing is had TM continued with the Doom Island line they would've done most of the monsters from the Showa series

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I'm talking about JAPAN, JVM. Not America.
What does Japan matter? TM's a U. S. toy company, just like Bandai is a Japanese toy company. TM cared far more about U. S. customers buying their toys than Japanese customers, just like Bandai prefers to release their toys in Japan instead of America.

I'm not quite sure I even understand your question.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

^Welcome to the club man! :D
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Shin-Goji
Monsterland Worker

Post by Shin-Goji »

Trendmasters still have a place in my heart. Those giant figures are solid as rocks and still highly sought after. I've owned the Space Godzilla so many times and had to sell him a short time later, that I don't think I could stand to own him any more.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

I still really wish the large-scale Biollante figure had gotten a stateside release. The legs are silly looking, but I have a bizarre fondness for that version that I can't quite explain.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I honestly believe the Trendmasters Godzilla toys dont get as much respect as they should, simply because their figures "arent as accurate as the japanese ones.
The nostalgia factor can be a blessing and a curse. The problem being those who have that nostalgia factor will have a hard time looking past shortcomings. Those who lack it will have a hard time understanding what was done right. This website's great proof of this.

TM holds nostalgia with many fans, and those fans love the toys to death. And there's collectors who don't hold it and cite Bandai's superiority in accuracy.

Personally? I think we're lucky we have a shitload of different companies to choose from instead of just one. I like having a little Bandai and a little TM, you know?

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I loved Trendmasters while it was out, especially the Doom Island set with the two dinosaurs included (that Godzilla design kicked ass). Godzilla Wars had the coolest box art ever.

It's pretty clear that the Japanese figures are generally much better, though. I'm looking to restart my collection staring with a movie accurate G2K figure.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Mecha-Anguirus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Mecha-Anguirus »

Trendmasters had more "play value" than "collectors value" and that's why I feel some collectors don't appreciate them. They were made more for children than anyone else. I personally wouldn't display any but the nicer figures (I have MOGUERA on my shelf right now), but for their designed purpose, these guys were great.
Reboot: coda 1G65R34... Weapons Status: functioning... Recoding Mainframe... Video Sensors: recording... Mecha-Anguirus now Online.

Remember me?

trendmasters
GPN Volunteer

Post by trendmasters »

Well Mecha-Anguirus, you should see a bunch of the UNRELEASED TM Godzilla prototypes... Now THOSE are serious "collectibles", and would be a real shame to play with, and muck them up... They're perfect for display, and are very unique. I'm not even a big Godzilla fan, but I have a ton of unreleased TM Godzilla gems, that I keep on display, specifically for the beauty of them.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Mecha-Anguirus wrote:Trendmasters had more "play value" than "collectors value" and that's why I feel some collectors don't appreciate them. They were made more for children than anyone else. I personally wouldn't display any but the nicer figures (I have MOGUERA on my shelf right now), but for their designed purpose, these guys were great.
I think Bandai figures are great replicas of the monsters on film, where as Trendmasters toys were made not replicate the monsters but to be awesome toys. In the case of monsters like MOGUERA it works great, but guys like King Ghidroah and Mothra don't work so well.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Well this took a little longer than I thought it would to assemble but they're both done. I'm curious if anyone can help fill in the gaps in the trading cards and if there is any officiial documentation on who the artist or artists are of these Collectible Trading Cards that were distibuted by Trendmasters in their Godzilla King of the Monsters and Godzilla Wars toys and figures.

There was an artist mentioned who penned the "Godzilla Unleashed" mini-comic book packaged in with the 10" montion-sensor electronic figures in the first wave of King of the Monsters toys, but I have forgotten his name and am unsure whether of not he ro she or others were responsible for the following artwork.

[img/img]

And the Godzilla Wars card artwork.

[img/img]

Hey it says BBCode is ON but then says "You cannot use certain BBCodes: [img]."

Isn't that how others are posting pictures in these forums?
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

He is new, he won't be able to post pictures until his post count is higher.

just post a link to the picture for now.

Crimson_Raptor
G-Force Personnel

Post by Crimson_Raptor »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:Try using imageshack or photobucket.
Photobucket is my preferred poison, mon ami.
zilla103192 wrote:won't be able to post pictures until...post count is higher.
Where does this show in the FAQ or in the registration form I signed? I have been unable to locate this. Could there have been something wrong with my activation link?
Last edited by Crimson_Raptor on Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Reach for the high apples first; you can get the low ones any time."

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Crimson_Raptor wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Try using imageshack or photobucket.
Photobucket is my preferred posion, mon ami.
zilla103192 wrote:won't be able to post pictures until...post count is higher.
Where does this show in the FAQ or in the registration form I signed? I have been unable to locate this. Could there have been something wrong with my activation link?
It's not in the FAQ or registration form.