Japan New or Future Kaijū Toy Releases

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Re: Japan New or Future Kaijū Toy Releases

Post by darkcancer »

That's a tough choice. I don't think Bandai will make an HG for both Earth and Filius since they are basically the same 3D model so there really no hope there. But opening up to other scale will lead you down a rabbit hole of collecting, as many here can attest to haha. I personally stuck with HGs due to their size to detail ratio. I have my whole collection in two shelves of a hutch, and that's every HG Godzilla and Gamera set released so far, whereas I feel like you could only get 10-12 6" figures per shelf, hardly enough to cover the range of kaiju I'd want.
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

The Human Pizza
Ronin

Post by The Human Pizza »

darkcancer wrote:That's a tough choice. I don't think Bandai will make an HG for both Earth and Filius since they are basically the same 3D model so there really no hope there. But opening up to other scale will lead you down a rabbit hole of collecting, as many here can attest to haha. I personally stuck with HGs due to their size to detail ratio. I have my whole collection in two shelves of a hutch, and that's every HG Godzilla and Gamera set released so far, whereas I feel like you could only get 10-12 6" figures per shelf, hardly enough to cover the range of kaiju I'd want.
Yeah, but the plus side with 6-inch figures is that they stand out more on the shelf. Plus, High Grades are MUCH easier to lose track of.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

darkcancer wrote:That's a tough choice. I don't think Bandai will make an HG for both Earth and Filius since they are basically the same 3D model so there really no hope there. But opening up to other scale will lead you down a rabbit hole of collecting, as many here can attest to haha. I personally stuck with HGs due to their size to detail ratio. I have my whole collection in two shelves of a hutch, and that's every HG Godzilla and Gamera set released so far, whereas I feel like you could only get 10-12 6" figures per shelf, hardly enough to cover the range of kaiju I'd want.
They did do a HighGrade for Earth. It's even in scale.

Cost's like 220 bucks though.
https://order.mandarake.co.jp/order/det ... 0&ref=list

then again. I might be confusing scales with High Grade and Gashapon.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

The HGs or High Grade are the Bandai gashapon line, generally right around 2 inches tall. That Godzilla Earth looks like its probably in-scale, then again any Godzilla Earth that's around 12 inches tall would make it "in-scale" with the HG Godzilla 2017 if that one is Filius haha. As for it being an HG or gashapon, that's not likely as neither of those brand logos appear on the packaging anywhere. That would be fun though, a giant in-scale gashapon!
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

BANDAI actually made a giant Gashapon figure in the past, though. But is is not from Godzilla. The huge Gatanothor figure from the Bandai Premium set was labeled and advertised to be a Gashapon toy, whyever that was.
Size DOES matter!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Petezilla wrote:BANDAI actually made a giant Gashapon figure in the past, though. But is is not from Godzilla. The huge Gatanothor figure from the Bandai Premium set was labeled and advertised to be a Gashapon toy, whyever that was.
Had to do with the whole, "Gashapon" style releases they did in the Ultra 500 line for a bit. Mother of Ultra and Mirror Knight were noteworthy and included in the set. They came in massive soda can sized tubes that apparently, could be purchased via a larger Gashapon machine? *(citation needed).

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Petezilla wrote:BANDAI actually made a giant Gashapon figure in the past, though. But is is not from Godzilla. The huge Gatanothor figure from the Bandai Premium set was labeled and advertised to be a Gashapon toy, whyever that was.
Had to do with the whole, "Gashapon" style releases they did in the Ultra 500 line for a bit. Mother of Ultra and Mirror Knight were noteworthy and included in the set. They came in massive soda can sized tubes that apparently, could be purchased via a larger Gashapon machine? *(citation needed).
Ah, thanks for making that clear. Though I still wonder what BANDAI really intended with this set being Gashapon, since I always believed Gashapon figures were specifically meant for vending machines. I can see how you fit those cans with 500 scale vinyls in these things, but that huge Gatanothor or even within the even bigger box... which also was a mail item from the web shop... :lol:
Good old BANDAI, always good for some strange moves.
Size DOES matter!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

*insert Bagan theme*

Resin/Sofubi Bagan Kit - 17cm - 17000yen. December 17th Pre-sale, Event only.

https://twitter.com/nyoruniru/status/10 ... RioSorlnkw

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

I was surfing around Hobby Search and I came across this... a Nano Blocks Shin Godzilla! It just released a week or so ago...

I built the Nano Blocks Parthenon and the Space Shuttle with boosters and tank. They're like Lego, only teeny-weeny, hence "nano" block...

I'm guessing the Shin Godzilla is about 4 inches tall...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10573063

Edit: I spoke with someone who built it, and they told me it's about the height of a 12oz soda can.
Last edited by ApexOversteer on Mon Dec 24, 2018 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

http://news.toyark.com/2018/12/26/matte ... ter-327899

Pure speculation on my part so nothing to jump at but as the link states Mattel lost their DC license which was one of if not their biggest licensed property and they are now looking to acquire any new licenses. This doesn't mean Mattel will even pursue the Godzilla license but its a possibility. The biggest issues with this idea are finding a place for their products between Bandai's and NECA's and DC is WB so maybe that relationship has been permanently tarnished between them and Mattel.

tycerium
Samurai

Post by tycerium »

cloverfan98 wrote:http://news.toyark.com/2018/12/26/matte ... ter-327899

Pure speculation on my part so nothing to jump at but as the link states Mattel lost their DC license which was one of if not their biggest licensed property and they are now looking to acquire any new licenses. This doesn't mean Mattel will even pursue the Godzilla license but its a possibility. The biggest issues with this idea are finding a place for their products between Bandai's and NECA's and DC is WB so maybe that relationship has been permanently tarnished between them and Mattel.
Mattel's Jurassic World figures are pretty good, and extensive, so I wouldn't mind seeing what they would do with Godzilla.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Check out this little bastard... 1/35 scale vinyl figure of the Jirass suit, 7.5cm. A bit shy of $9 isn't bad. Preorders opened a few days ago on Hobby Search...

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10588293

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Ooh, that looks tempting; quite detailed for its size!

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

Always nice to see some Jirass merch.

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

7,5cm Vinyl Jirass! Then it should be in scale with the Shingeki Taizen Godzilla candy figures. I might have to get it! I hope they will do more obscure kaiju after Jirass. :D

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

New Bandai Baragon that comes with Frankenstein's severed hand!
https://www.amoktime.com/bandai-premium ... igure.html
why did i have to be the chosen one?

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

MechaSkeleturtle666 wrote:7,5cm Vinyl Jirass! Then it should be in scale with the Shingeki Taizen Godzilla candy figures. I might have to get it! I hope they will do more obscure kaiju after Jirass. :D
The Jirass is apparently the 8th in an on going series of Ultraman Kaiju from Acro...

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

The new Kaiju Bangaichi Baragon is up for grabs on Y!JA.
The severed Frankenstein hand is actually pretty big:

https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d342929093
Size DOES matter!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Kinggoji1962 wrote:Always nice to see some Jirass merch.
Yah, I ordered one...

EDIT: Giant, metallic pill bugs?!? Wasn't aware that this was a 'thing' over in Japan... :eh:

Breaking News: At the WinterWonderFest a proto pic of the Starship Troopers( Warrior Bug? Arachnid? What do they call these things? )Bug was shown by Figma! As the toys we DID get at the time of the film's release sucked HARD, I am stoked to see this super detailed, super articulated fig coming! As it is a "Western peoperty", it shouldn't be difficult to get it Stateside...
Addendum: Galoob Toys had the master toy license for Starship Troopers, and basically they did TWO lines - one in their Micro Machines scale, and another in a bigger size, which had some of the human characters( Rico, Ibanez, Levy, Watkins )and a decent-looking Warrior Bug for them to fight, that had some electronic features. The Micro Machines were good, in that the little ships and alien bugs looked okay, for minis. In the bigger size, the human figures stunk, having only 4/5 POA & crummy likenesses( Rico is either in pain or taking a big sh*t )which dragged the whole bigger line down. Well, Galoob was never really known for their human sculpts...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Ultraman kaiju collectors heads up...

Hobby Search has the Dummy Head Designs/Ken Elephant "Art Of Collossus" series "Powered Gomora" 30cm polystone statue up for pre-order, for release in late June. As usual the machine translation of the description of the figure leaves a bit to be desired, but indicates that Shin Godzilla co-director Shinji Higuchi and ShinGoji designer Mahiro Maeda have some kind of creative input into the special design of this version of the Ultraman kaiju.

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10596463