Noteworthy Auctions

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Noteworthy Auctions

Post by Brad Simmons »

If you need an X-Plus 1968 Anguirus, there's one for sale on Yahoo Japan. Equivalent is about $700...

http://page13.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/r79618571

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Noteworthy Auctions

Post by JVM »

Bandai's 1992 Baragon for dirt cheap but it IS missing a toe.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

A "Night Version" Gigan on Yahoo Japan...

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h155096181

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTRAMAN-1990-BOGUN ... 588f156153

Dreamworks Bogun. Great price, great figure. Ends in like 22 hours.
What happened? Didn't you just buy this??

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORIGINL-DISCO-GODZI ... 500wt_1076

This looks like an obvious knockoff to me, just thought I'd send out a warning.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Kaiju no Mura
Interpol Agent

Post by Kaiju no Mura »

hmm ;)
Last edited by Kaiju no Mura on Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHUT UP AND KAIJŪ!

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

^You do know that's Steve Agin, right? He writes a little article that's been running in G-Fan for a while now on the very subject of Japanese Kaiju Toy collecting called All Monster Toys Attack...I bought this from him recently:

And it's legit. Maybe a little overpriced, but...Hell, I even spoke to him on the phone and he seemed like a nice enough guy.

It would help if you would say WHY you think it's a fake...
http://captainaktion.tumblr.com/

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Forum Rules and Guidelines Excerpt, Section 10:
Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Even if the toy isn't fake, I still think his response to the person asking if it's fake is pretty dickish.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Yeah, what Godzilla 2000 said...I'm actually the one that sent him that message on eBay...its clearly a Burning Godzilla with repainted fins, the eyes are the wrong color, you can see the "burning" colors underneath the glitter in some places...
SAVE_US.GDZ

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

I ordered from Agin before. He was really nice over the phone.

But his site is very sloppily put together and there are no prices on his merch.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

Jeez guys, I wasn't exactly trying to jump to his defense or anything, I was just throwin' the info out there and adding my own two cents. I'm sure that some people have had bad experiences with him in the past, every time money exchanges hands for anything there is a chance of that. Happens to every business, seller, or buyer at some point; it just happens. So I dunno, maybe he's a dick, maybe not.

Also, I would say that I didn't think his response was any more "dickish" than your "question" was. Why not just ask him if he can assure you it is legit and if so, point out to him why it is a fake. What would be wrong with that? That's how I handled a similar situation not too long ago...

I mean, most people would respond along those lines; Dickery for Dickery.

This website is for noncommercial use only and is not affiliated with, or authorized or endorsed by Toho Co. Ltd.

Staff Accountability
no moderator, administrator, group moderator, forum leader, site staffer, or former member of the aforementioned groups is exempt from scrutiny

Failure by members or ex-members of leadership to avoid such activity may result in termination.

Know The Score

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

Mainly because, as Legion says, he has a bad reputation amongst longtime collectors...and if he really has "20 years experience" or whatever he said, he ought to be able to tell it's a fake/custom job.

Hey, in the interest of fairness, I'll even admit that I've bought from him before with NO PROBLEMS....but still, there are plenty others who have stories I've heard...
SAVE_US.GDZ

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Captain Aktion wrote:Jeez guys, I wasn't exactly trying to jump to his defense or anything, I was just throwin' the info out there and adding my own two cents. I'm sure that some people have had bad experiences with him in the past, every time money exchanges hands for anything there is a chance of that. Happens to every business, seller, or buyer at some point; it just happens. So I dunno, maybe he's a dick, maybe not.

Also, I would say that I didn't think his response was any more "dickish" than your "question" was. Why not just ask him if he can assure you it is legit and if so, point out to him why it is a fake. What would be wrong with that? That's how I handled a similar situation not too long ago...

I mean, most people would respond along those lines; Dickery for Dickery.
I'd still say his closing is pretty uncalled for:

"Thank you for your interest if not your impertinence and presumptuous rudeness. Oh yes, and of course for your apology (the one you would offer if you have the intelligence to realize your ungentlemanly behavior)."

He could heave easily just cut it off after the first five words instead of being a smartass. While the question can be perceived as rude, as the seller he IS the one in control so he has no reason to stoop to that level.

Captain Aktion
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Captain Aktion »

I still didn't think that closing was too much more out of line with the original "question". Shitty attitudes beget shitty attitudes. But whatever, they were both being assholes.

What are some of these bad experiences others have had? I mean, I work in the service industry and let me tell you, there are some people out there that will NEVER EVER be satisfied with anything, so I look at a blanket statement like that with a very apathetic eye. Has he been known for selling bootlegs in the past? In this fandom I quickly learned that attitudes lean toward the extremes so it's not inconceivable to me that there are some guys out there just taking the piss out of him for some other small slight. I agree that I find his prices to be a little OTT but, well, virtually everyone sells Marmits and Bandais for FAAAR more than they should be. That's just supply and demand, and if I demand it I must pay for it.

And none of this really matters anyway. If you are going to sit down and spend that much on a hunk of vinyl...shit dude, I hope you do a little research into it. I've ended up buying a couple of boots in the past and both times I found out, literally, minutes after I bought them. If I had just spent those minutes looking into what I was buying I wouldn't have been taken for a ride to begin with. Lesson learned. IF this is such an obvious fake then anyone will know immediately if they do a simple Google search about it.

Then again, maybe this will be the figure to teach some other poor sucker (One born everyday!) to look before they yada yada...

EDIT!

Never mind, I retract my edit.

Staff Accountability

Know The Score

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

Prices for everything these days always seem a good $5 more than they should, no matter what they are. But I'm also probably one of the cheapest bastards on these boards XD

Godz
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godz »

http://cgi.ebay.com/GODZILLA-FOREVER-SE ... _500wt_842

Meanwhile here is a REAL one (at a ridiculous price no one should pay, but, still). Notice the eye color, and the lack of orange paint under the glitter.

And if you think I had a "shitty attitude", its because I love the fandom and I don't like people taking advantage of fellow fans, especially for multiple hundreds of dollars. $299 isn't a bad price for that toy (most want $300-$400 at G-FEST, though that is typically with tag), and I could see someone jump on that in an instant...then buy it and not realize its a fraud until it is too late.

I'm about to leave for work so I don't have time to explain why Agin isn't especially well liked in some circles, perhaps Legion will be willing to share what he knows.
SAVE_US.GDZ

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

Agreed. Not listing prices is a piss-poor way of doing business as far as I'm concerned. If you don't know what to list something for then do some research and find out.

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

wataru wrote:I will never by from Agintoys.com. Why? He doesnt list prices. He makes you call for a price.

Im sorry, it takes next to no time to update prices on your website. I dont believe in 'market price' for toys. Godzilla vinyls arent live Maine lobster.
Believe it or not, it does exist. Its no excuse at all to not post prices (which is ludicrous), but it is, however, a factor for those who do list prices. I bought my Titanosaurus bandai several years ago for $54 w/tag. Now, you can't find one on eBay for under $125. A generous seller anywhere online still wont go under $75. And that is only one example. A great example is the pricing of Marmit/m1/Bullmark/Marusan figures. If you want to talk about price flux, keep track of these rare and expensive items over a couple of months. It will surprise you.

As years pass from a toy's release, it becomes more scarce and therefor the price is raised. This is indeed a market effect at its most basic and fundamental value.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!

Brad Simmons
Monarch Researcher

Post by Brad Simmons »

UnCanny Studios wrote:
wataru wrote:I will never by from Agintoys.com. Why? He doesnt list prices. He makes you call for a price.

Im sorry, it takes next to no time to update prices on your website. I dont believe in 'market price' for toys. Godzilla vinyls arent live Maine lobster.
Believe it or not, it does exist. Its no excuse at all to not post prices (which is ludicrous), but it is, however, a factor for those who do list prices. I bought my Titanosaurus bandai several years ago for $54 w/tag. Now, you can't find one on eBay for under $125. A generous seller anywhere online still wont go under $75. And that is only one example. A great example is the pricing of Marmit/m1/Bullmark/Marusan figures. If you want to talk about price flux, keep track of these rare and expensive items over a couple of months. It will surprise you.

As years pass from a toy's release, it becomes more scarce and therefor the price is raised. This is indeed a market effect at its most basic and fundamental value.
That much I understand but any smart dealer would revisit what is posted on their website and adjust prices every quarter or 6 months. I still don't see a good argument not to list prices, other than "hmmm... I feel like asking $300 dollars for this item today since you called about it. Yeah, that's the price. $300". What!? Honestly... I bet if different people called over the course of 1 or 2 months they'd each be quoted a different price.

UnCanny Studios
G-Force Personnel

Post by UnCanny Studios »

Brad Simmons wrote:
That much I understand but any smart dealer would revisit what is posted on their website and adjust prices every quarter or 6 months. I still don't see a good argument not to list prices, other than "hmmm... I feel like asking $300 dollars for this item today since you called about it. Yeah, that's the price. $300". What!? Honestly... I bet if different people called over the course of 1 or 2 months they'd each be quoted a different price.
Very true. As I said I definitely agree with you there - he must be a few crayons short of a rainbow.

I wonder how much business he actually does, considering how many other Goji figure dealers there are out there - all of which list a friggin' price...

Anyway, if anyone is hunting the market on eBay, check this guy out:

http://shop.ebay.com/darkstalker69/m.ht ... 4340.l2562

He's got a ton of stuff up for grabs right now. I just bought a 9" Bullmark Baragon (brown), and some vintage Ultraman Bandais from him. Good stuff.
GLENN AMER doesn't battle, he just allows you to Lose.

http://skreeonk.com - The Kaiju Fan Network! Check out the KAIJU FAN MARKETPLACE! Still going strong! Buy, sell, and list with other kaiju fans for free! Buy stuff!