Do you take off tags?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Do you take off tags?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

This might be strange, but a few commented on this site indicated they took off or removed tags. This struck me as odd, as I don’t remove tags from the figures. I thought this was the norm.

I’m just curious what everyone does, not passing any judgements.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Re: Do you take off tags?

Post by Petezilla »

They display way better without tags, so I also remove them from my BANDAI vinyls. Well, unless it's a super rare and expensive piece, of course.

However, you can just buy hook barbs and a tagging gun to re-attach them using the original tag hole on the figure and it is exactly like new. No difference at all.
Size DOES matter!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Yes. If I like the look of a certain tag, I may hold onto it, but otherwise I don't feel any reason to keep them on the figure.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

I keep them on.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

I keep them on, it's not like I'm playing with them and they're in the way. They just sit on a shelf

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm also in the camp that much prefers the way the figures look without the tag, so yes, I take them off. I know that hurts the resale value, but I don't buy anything I don't intend to keep. I am keeping the tags, though, at least for now, and can just reattach them if I ever change my mind.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I take the tags off and keep them in a card binder. I like displaying them without the tags, but I'd never throw away the tags.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:I keep them on.
Same here...

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I take the tags off and keep them in a card binder. I like displaying them without the tags, but I'd never throw away the tags.
Same. With few exceptions I dislike displaying my collection in its packaging. Boxes get opened, tags get removed. If boxes are useful for storing spare parts/accessories or transporting a delicate figure in a move, they get saved. If not, they get chucked in the trash. Tags go in a baseball card binder.

I collect for my enjoyment and entertainment, not for resale value.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

canofhumdingers wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I take the tags off and keep them in a card binder. I like displaying them without the tags, but I'd never throw away the tags.
Same. With few exceptions I dislike displaying my collection in its packaging. Boxes get opened, tags get removed. If boxes are useful for storing spare parts/accessories or transporting a delicate figure in a move, they get saved. If not, they get chucked in the trash. Tags go in a baseball card binder.

You and I are very much similar. Collecting makes me happy. Selling my figures would only make me sad.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Oh, I sell off stuff. But I do it to make room for something new I want more, or because I’ve gotten my enjoyment out of the item and am ready to move on, not because I want to make a profit. I actually sold a lot of things off a couple years ago and I’ve got a pile going of things I’m clearing out now. But I’m also transitioning to higher end stuff as I move from collecting based on what I could afford to collecting based on what I truly want.

LynnBob 1967
GPN Volunteer

Post by LynnBob 1967 »

Yes. Zero need to keep them on. Boxes sometimes get chucked. You can't keep everything.
Lynn
PHIL 4:13

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

For me it depends on the figure, like last year I picked up Shin forms 1 and 2, (or is it 2 and 3? The red and tan ones ) as well as the purple translucent Shin with his mouth wide open (I can't pinpoint exactly what figure he is, I think it may be the Wonderfest Climax Exclusive? But mine has see through purple instead of the shiny violet). Anyway, for those 3 I kept the tags on, even though it is a bit distracting as they sit on the shelf with giant cards covering half their bodies. However, I also picked up Godzilla Filius last year and for him I took the tag off almost immediately, and I think it's because I really wanted to bask in that sculpt since it was so gorgeous and his movies were so eh.

I also have the MMB, which I think is the best way for these bandai figures to hold onto their tags, they come separately packaged with the figures. I'd have to take a look at my older vinyls to see if I kept the tags on those as well.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

canofhumdingers wrote:

Why not collect for BOTH? I do! It's kinda like playing the Stock Market, but a lot more FUN! :huge:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Well, mostly because collecting is a hobby that I do for fun and have no desire to turn into a job even in the most basic or general way.

But also, it makes no economic sense. Compared to the small increase in value that a figure *might* see (plus the time and energy needed to sell it in a way that maximizes that profit), it’s dramatically more profitable for me to spend that time actually going to work by picking up a few extra hours. I can make far more money in the same amount of time at work than I can reselling figures on the secondary market.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

MandaSaurus wrote:
canofhumdingers wrote:

Why not collect for BOTH? I do! It's kinda like playing the Stock Market, but a lot more FUN! :huge:
I don't need to sell my Godzilla figures for money. I actually model custom D&D monster minis in Blender, and plan to sell them to the D&D club at my school. I already had my first client order a Tarrasque. Just needs to be printed.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ I rarely sell them. I just like watching the secondary market price ratchet up...

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

I do remove the tags and keep them in a binder. I think they look much better without a tag on the shelf.

Zillamon51
GPN Volunteer

Post by Zillamon51 »

I always kept tags on. I started collecting Bandai figs as an adult, so it's not like I had monster battles, with the tags getting in the way.

Now, I have a young Godzilla-obsessed cousin who does play with them. He's careful, so I share. So I now carefully remove the tags, and keep them in a binder. Except for exclusives and limited pieces. Those aren't for play, and I keep the tags on (with clear plastic card protectors.

LynnBob 1967
GPN Volunteer

Post by LynnBob 1967 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:This might be strange, but a few commented on this site indicated they took off or removed tags. This struck me as odd, as I don’t remove tags from the figures. I thought this was the norm.

I’m just curious what everyone does, not passing any judgements.
Why would you leave them on? that strikes me as odd. It is worse then displaying toys and keeping them sealed in a box, a MISB toy can sometimes at least display nice, just not as nice as a open one. The tags are total distraction and are just plain in the way of displaying a figure.
Lynn
PHIL 4:13