Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Naruto65
Futurian

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.1 [ABRIDGED]

Post by Naruto65 »

Mr. Sakai oversaw the coloring.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but it appears the figures translucent plastic base layer is dyed blue, and then painted over with the normal colors.
Last edited by Naruto65 on Fri Sep 13, 2019 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Naruto65 wrote:I haven't confirmed this yet, but it appears the figures translucent plastic base layer is dyed blue, and then painted over with the normal colors.
I thought it looked that way. In one of the stock poses, you can see some transparent bleeding around the very bottom of some of the neck segments.

What i'm actually afraid of IS THEM PAINTING it. I don't want Cheetozilla 2.0 or in this case...Blueberryzilla? We need to come up with a name for in advance. It looks like they are slowly getting back on track quality wise again. I stand firm that Godzilla Earth was probably the most accurate stock->final product one we had in a while.

Lucky Dragon
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lucky Dragon »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Naruto65 wrote:I haven't confirmed this yet, but it appears the figures translucent plastic base layer is dyed blue, and then painted over with the normal colors.
I thought it looked that way. In one of the stock poses, you can see some transparent bleeding around the very bottom of some of the neck segments.

What i'm actually afraid of IS THEM PAINTING it. I don't want Cheetozilla 2.0 or in this case...Blueberryzilla? We need to come up with a name for in advance. It looks like they are slowly getting back on track quality wise again. I stand firm that Godzilla Earth was probably the most accurate stock->final product one we had in a while.
Gamera was a pleasant surprise. I hope to god it keeps progressing back to how it was. Godzilla Earth, and Kiryu Shinagawa Ver. were some top tier releases.

nekromantik
Monsterland Worker

Post by nekromantik »

I dont know what to do aaaah! lol
I know £130 for a SHMA figure is a lot when they do have QC issues and for a little bit more you can get a XPlus figure....but I loved the movie and XPlus not announced a 30cm G19 Atomic Breathe version.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

SpaceG92 wrote:. It looks like they are slowly getting back on track quality wise again.
Idk, Gamera 3 bottom teeth, my G19 has a warped crotch that seriously affects the legs, the reviews of King Ghidorah show his necks and tails popping off constantly and it's barely painted. ..

So some stock promo pics of a blue G19 really don't show them getting back on track for me. The last four SHM I bought all had issues.

King Ghidorah arrives today and instead of being excited I'm actually pretty nervous.

That's no fun

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Naruto65 wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:
=Ahem= He is known as 9Modelism and his figure is called "Jungle Lord". Kong is a registered trademark, dontcha know? :lol:
Who are you and what have you done with the real Manda!?
What, I'm not allowed to make jokes? Don't see why, as SHMA has become something of a joke. Last Tamashii beastie I bought was Black King, which is not even a MonsterArt. Hopefully, they can do 2020 Kong without screwing it up... :roll:

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I hope the eyes look goofy
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

SpaceG92 wrote:

What i'm actually afraid of IS THEM PAINTING it. I don't want Cheetozilla 2.0 or in this case...Blueberryzilla? We need to come up with a name for in advance.
Eiffel65Zilla.
It looks like they are slowly getting back on track quality wise again. I stand firm that Godzilla Earth was probably the most accurate stock->final product one we had in a while.
Cautiously agree. Aside from some problems with Ghidorah (which I'd put down to the odd choice of how it's made), the line seems pretty good. Big agree on Earth, as well. Got him though a Bluefin KOTM deal and he's nigh flawless compared to the promo pics.

RIP Evan.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

Bluedabade Godzilla is a great name for it
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I've been watching reviews for Gamera 95 since I have one on the way (Japan air mail 1-2 weeks is very misleading btw. Its been almost 3 weeks and still no Gamera) but its seems fairly consistent with good paint apps and solid articulation. Maybe doing what they can to correct the disaster of Gamera 99.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Godzilla21 wrote:I've been watching reviews for Gamera 95 since I have one on the way (Japan air mail 1-2 weeks is very misleading btw. Its been almost 3 weeks and still no Gamera) but its seems fairly consistent with good paint apps and solid articulation. Maybe doing what they can to correct the disaster of Gamera 99.
Yeah I've been waiting for Steven's review on him to see what's what. Hope your figure gets to you.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

well I guess I got lucky finally, King Ghidorah came and I was super nervous about it but he's great. No issues at all. All the joints move freely. Absolutely nothing popped off when I was putting him together or posing him and moving the necks and heads around. He seems very stable with the wing supports (as noted in reviews the center crotch stand is longer than his legs which actually makes him unstable, so I'm not using the center stand. His legs are sturdy so I think he'll be fine). I even shook the shelf I have him on to see if he wobbled and he's fine. The joints are not loose and not too tight. Paint and everything is fine.

I got lucky because almost every review I've seen it looked like he popped apart if you just tried to move a head or move the tails. But mine is perfect. It scales very well I think with Godzilla SHM, and with the NECA Mothra and Rodan. Looking forward now even more to getting SHM Mothra and Rodan to complete the 4 Titans SHM set.

He does take up a lot of shelf space and instantly becomes a sort of centerpiece to the collection just because of his size and imposing presence. Looks good though. I went back and forth for a long time about picking him up but I'm glad now that I did.

Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

GhidoGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GhidoGoji »

Personally I think a lot if the "problems" with KG are user error. It's a bit tricky but if you're persistent you can get everything placed properly and it doesn't fall apart.
MandaSaurus wrote:@Maritonic: No, most people's aren't. But I have an eye for detail that few here can match. I've been collecting longer than most of you have been alive. I'm also nearsighted, which means that I see things up close CRYSTAL-clear, which means I can point out details & differences like the guy who sculpted the item. So, forgive me if there's only a handful of folks in these forums whose opinion I put on a par with MINE...

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:. It looks like they are slowly getting back on track quality wise again.
Idk, Gamera 3 bottom teeth, my G19 has a warped crotch that seriously affects the legs, the reviews of King Ghidorah show his necks and tails popping off constantly and it's barely painted. ..

So some stock promo pics of a blue G19 really don't show them getting back on track for me. The last four SHM I bought all had issues.

King Ghidorah arrives today and instead of being excited I'm actually pretty nervous.

That's no fun
At this point I don't even count the ball joints as an issue. Its a design flaw with them being seated in softer plastic, it's GOING to happen. The part of a barely painted Ghidorah holds up, sure, it is barely painted - besides the usual bad teeth paint that went down hill since 2014, the paint basically matched what was advertised. Which is my main gripe, and has been since 2014. Warped material on G19 is a serious issue though, i'll give you that one, hopefully you were able to reset it or return it?

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

No i haven't reset it yet. People have said hit it with a hairdryer but I've never had to do that before so I'm a bit hesitant. The crotch is warped to one side, do i heat it up and try to pull it back into a center position? The plastic is flexible like that? SHM plastic seems so much harder and brittle than regular soft 'toy' plastic.

Gamera 3s bottom row of teeth being a thick solid white line really does annoy me. You can see it from a distance and it doesn't look good. And i think all the pt3 Gameras I've seen have it. (Including mine).

I really like SHM but I don't like the guessing game and wondering whether the release product will match the promo pics or if there will be QC issues.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

Yes. The plastic heated is very soft. You probably won't have to do anything to reset it. It should move into place by itself.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

ok I'll try it, thanks

Mothra1961
Samurai

Post by Mothra1961 »

Naruto65 wrote:Mr. Sakai oversaw the coloring.

I haven't confirmed this yet, but it appears the figures translucent plastic base layer is dyed blue, and then painted over with the normal colors.
So it's confirmed the figure won't be released anywhere else?

What a nice way to say fuck you to the foreign collectors and kick us in the teeth. They really couldn't care enough about us to come up with a deal with the distributors in other districts, what about the global fans of Godzilla, huh? so much for celebrating the anniversary as a community; and they had the audacity to sell obsolete DVD with the figure. Well, fuck you Tamashii and Toho, I'm done collecting this line.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Mothra1961 wrote:
Naruto65 wrote:Mr. Sakai oversaw the coloring.

So it's confirmed the figure won't be released anywhere else?

What a nice way to say skreeonk you to the foreign collectors and kick us in the teeth. They really couldn't care enough about us to come up with a deal with the distributors in other districts, what about the global fans of Godzilla, huh? so much for celebrating the anniversary as a community; and they had the audacity to sell obsolete DVD with the figure. Well, skreeonk you Tamashii and Toho, I'm done collecting this line.
The figure's literally just a bonus for a Blu Ray (not DVD) set but go off, I guess.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

It's interesting to see everyone's reaction to this figure. No one felt this way about the 2014 poster version.

But yeah people need to cool it. It's Toho's distribution deal. Legendary and WB never even opted for it (and probably wouldn't even consider it given the price and reception of the film in the usa.)

Even so, with currency conversions and preorder discounts we were still able to get it under MSRP shipped. It's not hard to get even being limited to Japan, so i don't get the whole that's unfair thing. Although I'm finding the saltiest people are the ones that sat on deciding to get it and now it's sold out.
Last edited by Naruto65 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.