Beasts of the Mesozoic, Jurassic World, & other Dinosaurs thread!

General discussion for all non-Toho, non-Kaiju collectibles!
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: Beasts of the Mesozoic, Jurassic World, & other Dinosaurs thread!

Post by _JNavs_ »

ゴジマン wrote:I got my first Collecta figures, and I must say I'm very impressed. I got the mini dinosaur sets 1 and 2. Even for small figures they are so much better than ones from Safari and Papo, which cost more than the Collecta ones. They manage to keep lots of detail and have good paint work. Now I'm interested in their larger figures since their small ones are this good. I would recommend them to anyone who hasn't bought from Collecta yet.
I'm sure Safari/Papo and Collecta all have their strengths and weaknesses, but CollectA has wow'd me almost everytime i've seen one of their dino sculpts. Safari is imo the weakest due to sloppy(ish) paintwork

Added in 2 hours 42 minutes 37 seconds:
So I was surprised to find out the Megalodon arrived today! He's an absolutely beautiful piece, I can't remember the last time I bought something that looked exactly like the promotional pictures, but this is definitely it. He gets a 10/10 from me.

Now to get Ron the Mosasaurus...

Here's a few photos of this beast. Hopefully it's not too many pics (6)
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

_JNavs_ wrote:
ゴジマン wrote:I got my first Collecta figures, and I must say I'm very impressed. I got the mini dinosaur sets 1 and 2. Even for small figures they are so much better than ones from Safari and Papo, which cost more than the Collecta ones. They manage to keep lots of detail and have good paint work. Now I'm interested in their larger figures since their small ones are this good. I would recommend them to anyone who hasn't bought from Collecta yet.
I'm sure Safari/Papo and Collecta all have their strengths and weaknesses, but CollectA has wow'd me almost everytime i've seen one of their dino sculpts. Safari is imo the weakest due to sloppy(ish) paintwork.
I think Safari ltd. has a slight leg-up on Collecta for sculpting quality, but for sure CollectA has become a company worth paying attention to in the last several years. I have just a few of their figures, but I intend to get more. I'll keep that recommendation for the mini sets in mind!

That Megalodon is a beast; I just haven't worked up the nerve to buy more PNSO. The company actually released a bunch of models (including this one) back in 2017, before the company ran into issues up the business ladder and virtually disappeared until late last year. They started with hollow models (I reviewed their Shantungosaurus for the Dinosaur Toy Blog), but it looks like they're fully shifting gears into solid, high-end replicas.
Over at the Dinosaur Toy Forum, people are getting antsy for the Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rody wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
I'm sure Safari/Papo and Collecta all have their strengths and weaknesses, but CollectA has wow'd me almost everytime i've seen one of their dino sculpts. Safari is imo the weakest due to sloppy(ish) paintwork.
I think Safari ltd. has a slight leg-up on Collecta for sculpting quality, but for sure CollectA has become a company worth paying attention to in the last several years. I have just a few of their figures, but I intend to get more. I'll keep that recommendation for the mini sets in mind!

That Megalodon is a beast; I just haven't worked up the nerve to buy more PNSO. The company actually released a bunch of models (including this one) back in 2017, before the company ran into issues up the business ladder and virtually disappeared until late last year. They started with hollow models (I reviewed their Shantungosaurus for the Dinosaur Toy Blog), but it looks like they're fully shifting gears into solid, high-end replicas.
Over at the Dinosaur Toy Forum, people are getting antsy for the Giganotosaurus and Spinosaurus:

I had no idea the company existed so it's interesting to hear about their sudden disappearance and resurgence in recent years.
I'd be totally up for picking up an accurate Spinosaurus, have they raised their prices? I've always been a fan of the sea monsters, as well as any Alphas throughout the time periods. Gigantos/Tyrannos etc.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 20, 2019 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Rody wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

THAT SPINO.

That is a mix of accuracy and exaggeration that I am loving.

I'm gonna have to see if I can get one.

As for the toy companies, in my humble opinion, Collecta's the best from what I've seen. Accurate with some nice sculpts.

RIP Evan.

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

I've seen that picture of the Spino from PNSO before. I've been looking to get into them and Rebor after my X-Plus purchases. I really want to get the Ceratosaurus and take pictures with it along the Buffalo river here in Arkansas once the weather warms up.
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ゴジマン wrote:I've seen that picture of the Spino from PNSO before. I've been looking to get into them and Rebor after my X-Plus purchases. I really want to get the Ceratosaurus and take pictures with it along the Buffalo river here in Arkansas once the weather warms up.
The Ceratosaurus looks absolutely ginormous, good luck standing him by a river :lol:

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

I've been thinking of selling my Safari replicas and Mattel figures for some of the stuff by Rebor, PNSO, and W-Dragon. I think I'd like something with a more museum-like quality on the shelf.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

2004Zilla wrote:I've been thinking of selling my Safari replicas and Mattel figures for some of the stuff by Rebor, PNSO, and W-Dragon. I think I'd like something with a more museum-like quality on the shelf.
Same here, I picked up the Fallen Kingdom stuff, but I think I'd rather have scientifically accurate representations similar to a mini natural history museum.

Especially after experimenting with PNSO
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Me, I like variety. Jurassic Park/World is and will stay the main focus of my dinosaur collection, but I have a few other odds and ends mixed in. I want to get more BOTM figures, and I'd never heard of this PNSO line before yesterday, but they might be worth looking into...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So while I'm saving up for those other PNSO figures, I just bought these 2 to hold me over since I'm on a Prehistoric Sea craze... Plus Nessie bc ofc.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

On that note, I'd really love to see Mattel make an icthyosaur, and maybe an archelon. I don't know how much of a chance archelon has, being just a big turtle, but it had a nasty- looking beak. Give it a snapping action and it could be cool enough to sell.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

JAGzilla wrote:On that note, I'd really love to see Mattel make an icthyosaur, and maybe an archelon. I don't know how much of a chance archelon has, being just a big turtle, but it had a nasty- looking beak. Give it a snapping action and it could be cool enough to sell.
We got a Mosasaur and a Plesiosaur is on the way. I could see an Icthyosaur by Mattel. Probably be in the Attack Pack line-up. You just KNOW that some folks are gonna want a whole school of the things...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

_JNavs_ wrote: I had no idea the company existed so it's interesting to hear about their sudden disappearance and resurgence in recent years.
I'd be totally up for picking up an accurate Spinosaurus, have they raised their prices? I've always been a fan of the sea monsters, as well as any Alphas throughout the time periods. Gigantos/Tyrannos etc.
Their prices (on Amazon, at least) hang around $60-70; you can also check specialty retailers like Everything Dinosaur, but they're not going to be cheap, unless you get minifigures instead. ;) The big figures certainly look nice!
https://www.amazon.com/PNSO-Dinosaur-Mu ... pons&psc=1

http://dinotoyblog.com/category/pnso/

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

So idk if this is size accurate by any means, but damn do they look good together... They each have their own unique textures, paints and sculpt, yet they all work so well.

From what I've seen the Kronosaurus is normally depicted with a blue/white pattern similar to a whale, it's also been shown to have regular yellow and black pupils, so I wonder where they got the idea to use the browns for the skin and black for the eyes? Still it looks and works great imo. It's hefty, solid and the detail is immaculate, that texture is so smooth.. almost like whale skin. Plus for $20? It's a steal.

The Plesiosaur is bigger than I expected and the detail is just as good as the Krono. I love the paintwork and sculpt.

I also picked up a Dunkleosteus and the articulated jaw really makes the figure for me, plus all the little details and sculpt work. Incredible.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

_JNavs_ wrote:So idk if this is size accurate by any means, but damn do they look good together... They each have their own unique textures, paints and sculpt, yet they all work so well.

From what I've seen the Kronosaurus is normally depicted with a blue/white pattern similar to a whale, it's also been shown to have regular yellow and black pupils, so I wonder where they got the idea to use the browns for the skin and black for the eyes? Still it looks and works great imo.
In proper scale, Kronosaurus would be closer in size to the Dunkleosteus. Pliosaurs got big, but never quite as big as Megalodon. The Plesiosaurus would be tiny.
Kronosaurus is often depicted in blue and white for probably 2 reasons: one is the classic Carnegie figure, and the other is its relative Liopleurodon, which was popularly depicted (and oversized) in Walking With Dinosaurs. Franky, I commend CollectA for not doing the same thing again - although I haven't bought the figure myself yet.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Rody wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:So idk if this is size accurate by any means, but damn do they look good together... They each have their own unique textures, paints and sculpt, yet they all work so well.

From what I've seen the Kronosaurus is normally depicted with a blue/white pattern similar to a whale, it's also been shown to have regular yellow and black pupils, so I wonder where they got the idea to use the browns for the skin and black for the eyes? Still it looks and works great imo.
In proper scale, Kronosaurus would be closer in size to the Dunkleosteus. Pliosaurs got big, but never quite as big as Megalodon. The Plesiosaurus would be tiny.
Kronosaurus is often depicted in blue and white for probably 2 reasons: one is the classic Carnegie figure, and the other is its relative Liopleurodon, which was popularly depicted (and oversized) in Walking With Dinosaurs. Franky, I commend CollectA for not doing the same thing again - although I haven't bought the figure myself yet.
Yeah the Krono is about 3-4 inches shorter than Megs so I'm thinking he'd likely need to be around maybe 8-9 inches or less to be in scale. He's def a great figure with a crazy real sculpt/paintjob.

I'm continuing my Pliosaur craze since I just bought the Safari Lioperodon and the Safari Tylosaurus, I doubt they'll be in scale though.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Anyone expecting to see the Rebor "Killer Queen" T.rex arriving this month should go ahead and adjust those expectations about a month... they've apparently admitted through their Facebook page that the figure won't ship until at least the middle of April...

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That's a gorgeous piece, what's the scale?

EDIT: oooooooo 1:35 is perfect
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

_JNavs_ wrote:That's a gorgeous piece, what's the scale?

EDIT: oooooooo 1:35 is perfect
I'm expecting it to be about the same length as the Vanilla Ice V.rex from Rebor, also in 1/35th scale, just a tiny bit taller, given the longer legs due to the pose. It appears the Stan Winston Studios/Jurassic Park-style large arms are actually articulated on the prototype, unknown yet if that will carry over to the production piece.

Since that won't ship for another month, I took the opportunity to go ahead and grab Eofauna's 1/35th scale Giganotosaurus, and their two proboscideans, the Straight-Tusked Elephant and the Steppe Mammoth. Had to laugh when I ordered them last night and BBTS claimed I'd have them in hand Thursday or Friday. I'll believe that when I see it, I'm thinking next Monday/Tuesday.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Killer Queen works perfect for both the male and female from The Lost World.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983