New to collecting Kaiju toys. Curious about "All of the Monsters" lines

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MvComedy
Young Farmer

New to collecting Kaiju toys. Curious about "All of the Monsters" lines

Post by MvComedy »

I'm interested in starting a collection of Godzilla/Kaiju figures. One that has caught my attention is a line that looks like it's from Bandai that includes inserts with the title Godzilla / All of the Monsters.

Here's an example of a Manda figure with a card:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDAI-GODZILL ... SwTm9aPkyk

I've also seen bottle caps and SD figures that seem to all have these same cards, but I can't find any comprehensive information about these series.

Is there any place online that has a list of all the figures in this line, and the years of release?

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy outside of eBay?

Thanks.

UltramanGoji

Re: New to collecting Kaiju toys. Curious about "All of the Monsters" lines

Post by UltramanGoji »

MvComedy wrote:I'm interested in starting a collection of Godzilla/Kaiju figures. One that has caught my attention is a line that looks like it's from Bandai that includes inserts with the title Godzilla / All of the Monsters.

Here's an example of a Manda figure with a card:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BANDAI-GODZILL ... SwTm9aPkyk

I've also seen bottle caps and SD figures that seem to all have these same cards, but I can't find any comprehensive information about these series.

Is there any place online that has a list of all the figures in this line, and the years of release?

Thanks.
Welcome to collecting! I warn you, it's a very addictive hobby!

The figure you linked is actually a great result of seller misinformation. The card and figure are completely unrelated. The figure is from a set released by Bandai in 2004/2005 to tie into Godzilla: Final Wars.

As you can see above, it was released in as set with a Gigan figure.

The card is from the Bandai Godzilla Carddass Masters set released around the late 90's.

Any listings you see from sellers that include free trading cards with figures are usually only doing so as a promotion. AFAIK, very few Japanese Godzilla toys came with collectible cards.

One of the best figure-related resources is Club Tokyo. They have an entire database with pictures and information on thousands of Godzilla and kaiju-related toys (although the emphasis is mostly on Godzilla stuff). If I'm ever curious about the make and model of a specific kaiju figure, I always use this site to identify it.

For trading cards, your best bet is the Rodan's Roost Trading Cards section. It's not complete and it hasn't been updated in a long time, but it does have a lot of older card sets catalogued.

Outside of eBay, the best places to go (domestically) are Clawmark Toys and Showcase Daikaiju for older figures and Big Bad Toy Store for newer stuff. You can also order figures from Japan and have them shipped straight to your house. Websites like Jungle feature pre-owned figures from all eras and sites like HobbyLinkJapan and AmiAmi have newer stuff and usually get it in earlier than American sellers.

Hope this helped. Good luck!

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

MvComedy wrote:I'm interested in starting a collection of Godzilla/Kaiju figures....Is there any place online that has a list of all the figures in this line, and the years of release?

Thanks.
UltramanGoji wrote:Welcome to collecting! I warn you, it's a very addictive hobby!

One of the best figure-related resources is Club Tokyo. They have an entire database with pictures and information on thousands of Godzilla and kaiju-related toys (although the emphasis is mostly on Godzilla stuff). If I'm ever curious about the make and model of a specific kaiju figure, I always use this site to identify it.

For trading cards, your best bet is the Rodan's Roost Trading Cards section. It's not complete and it hasn't been updated in a long time, but it does have a lot of older card sets catalogued.

Outside of eBay, the best places to go (domestically) are Clawmark Toys and Showcase Daikaiju for older figures and Big Bad Toy Store for newer stuff. You can also order figures from Japan and have them shipped straight to your house. Websites like Jungle feature pre-owned figures from all eras and sites like HobbyLinkJapan and AmiAmi have newer stuff and usually get it in earlier than American sellers.

Hope this helped. Good luck!
I don't think that you'll find better than UltramanGoji's advice on this. I've been collecting for 20+ years, and I *still* use ClubTokyo almost weekly. The only thing I can add is that you'll want to find out the proper name of the series / assortments that you intend to collect to make it easier to find the missing pieces in your collection. When trying to find items on ClubTokyo, it helps if you know whether you're trying to identify soft vinyl or candy toys. It's pretty much a given that if a piece is solid and not hollow, it's going to be some type of candy/capsule toy (telling you were to start looking on ClubTokyo.org):

Soft Vinyl toys: these are hollow vinyl figures that are usually between 4" and 8" in height. Most have a plastic hook stuck into the neck or back, not unlike what you'd find a pair of socks hanging from at a clothing store. The hook should be holding a 2x3" display tag. Having an intact hook/ pristine tag is the equivalent a soft vinyl toy being "mint in box". In the last decade this category has grown to include high-end, limited release figures such as the X-Plus line.

Candy toys: solid or hollow rubber / vinyl figures from 1" to 5" in height. Candy toys are sold unassembled in colorful cardboard boxes, usually with a small packet of sugar pills or similar token candy presence included. They are considered a supermarket "toy aisle" item.

Capsule toys: solid or hollow rubber / vinyl figures from 1" to under 4" in height. People will also refer to these as candy toys, but understand that this group comes packaged in a plastic capsule and not a box. They are intended to be sold in vending machines.
Last edited by G1985 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MvComedy
Young Farmer

Post by MvComedy »

^Thank you both for responding and clarifying the separate cards/toys. I found the two sets that I was interested in on ClubTokyo with all the figures for both, so I now I know what to look for. Really appreciate it.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

get out while you still can.

/sarcasm

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Holy shiit, I didn't realize Clawmark was still around. Thanks for this, Ultra.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.