Tips on stripping paint and washing?

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Tips on stripping paint and washing?

Post by Cybermat47 »

I have two SHMA Shin Godzillas - an intact one which I bough to replace the first one, which I accidentally broke (I was checking how easy it would be to remove the head before spending money on the awakening version, which pretty much requires you to do that).

I still want to get at least a sizable portion of my money’s worth from the figure, though, so I’m planning to strip the paint and, in order to highlight the best of part of the figure (the sculpt), apply a black wash, hopefully getting an effect similar to the Godzilla Store limited colour version, but without paying the ridiculous $190 AUD retail price.

So, I was wondering, what is the best way to strip paint from an action figure? Does leaving it to soak in isopropyl alcohol for a day or two just take the paint clean off? And what’s the best way to apply a wash?
Last edited by Cybermat47 on Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Re: Tips on stripping paint and washing?

Post by Cybermat47 »

Hopeful bump.

Finiz1983
Young Farmer

Post by Finiz1983 »

What paint was used? If acrylic, 95% rubbing/isopropyl alcohol will remove all paint, but will not damage plastic. I don't think you should use acetone. Rubbing alcohol is safe enough that if you had a large piece you could dip the plastic in it overnight to remove a lot of paint.
In my own time I spent weeks messing up action figures, what else to do after failing out of college after all...

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Cybermat47 wrote:=---
Lucky for you, I know someone who stripped the paint!

Look @comments / Source

Note however, this method only works with certain paint. Some paint won't come off with this method.

tl;dr. He put the pieces in Mr.Thinner - which is Paint Thinner from the "Mr." Brand. Good stuff, expensive but works. However this stuff is incredibly toxic as with all paint thinners and can run the risk of permanently damaging or even melting your figure if left too long. Essentially what you want to do is to fill glass jars with the thinner and submerge the pieces in it and leaving it. Open, give a good stir occasionally to help break off loose pieces (see next). Eventually, you'll notice the paint pealing off and settling on the bottom and the thinner turning colors. After a night or so, remove pieces and wash with dirty old utility toothbrush and water and most of the paint should come off. BE SURE TO USE GLOVES, OPERATE IN AN OUTDOOR ENVIROMENT AND WEAR A LIQUID VAPOR RESPIRATOR! DO NOT use those flimsy particulate respirator you see the gardener use. They WILL NOT work. Safety first. Basically it works similar to Acetone like Finiz mentioned above, which also might work, but you run the same risk.

READ ME:
Should also be noted that the paint used for most figures is known as PVC paint. This stuff is basically banned in the USA because in liquid form, it is EXTREMELY TOXIC. However, once dry it's fine. Ironically enough. So be TREMENDOUSLY CAREFUL when working with stripping paint. I CANNOT stress that enough.

Honestly, you might be better off scrubbing the figure with dish soap and giving it a good clean down and repaint the bare materiel. Primer if necessary. Paint stripping is something I only worked with twice but due to an accident involving paint stripping with "Easy Off" that resulted in sucking the oil out from my hand and resulting in me wearing an insulates glove for a week because my hand looked like a raisin and was cold as ice - I got off lucky. Other bands of "Easy Off" contain lye, something that can give you a 3rd Degree chemical burn and a REAL NASTY one at that.