Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
SpaceG92
Keizer

Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.0

Post by SpaceG92 »

Old thread is 500+ pages. Pain in the butt trying to search in it and find posts among other reasons. Remind me to maybe lock these threads every 100 pages or so.

So yeah - continue talking about the toy line here.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Re: Rebuild of S.H. MonsterArts 1.0

Post by GigaBowserG »

Year of the Mechagodzillas incoming -

Resized Image
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Naruto65 wrote: ...in an effort to save some coin in production costs, a change in factories for SHMA happened. This happened a while back, when Alien and Predator figures were created by Tamashii and hasn't changed since.
Naruto65, I'm of the opinion that there was a change even before that, to a slightly softer plastic. My guess is that this occurred some time shortly around the release of Destroyah / Godzilla Jr. Can you confirm / correct me?
Last edited by G1985 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

I'm really hoping that Kiryu showing up in so much promotional stuff means a reissue is coming
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Grunkle Sans
Interpol Agent

Post by Grunkle Sans »

Any way to make G2K stand more upright from the pose he comes in in the box (Specifically G2K Special Color). I've seen some online that are standing upright but mine is very hunched over, and it doesn't seem like I can move it up much more than it already is. Also, I hope Kiryu gets a re-release since they're doing a bunch of MechaGs, I love Kiryu, him being my 2nd or 3rd favorite monster, and my favorite overall MechaG.
:gigan:

NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Post by NateZilla10000 »

I just realized that this holiday season officially marks MOGUERA as out of print.

Retailers have finally gone out of stock with him after all these years. :lol:

That little guy took forever to sell completely.

Grunkle Sans wrote:Any way to make G2K stand more upright from the pose he comes in in the box (Specifically G2K Special Color). I've seen some online that are standing upright but mine is very hunched over, and it doesn't seem like I can move it up much more than it already is. Also, I hope Kiryu gets a re-release since they're doing a bunch of MechaGs, I love Kiryu, him being my 2nd or 3rd favorite monster, and my favorite overall MechaG.

Unfortunately G2K is indeed very hunched over to begin with. However, if you take a blow dryer to his joints it might help. Just be smart and all; if you feel heavy resistance, dont force it. Just move his joints little by little till the ball joint gives.

As for Kiryu, I too hope they rerelease him; both versions even. I'd love to pick up an SOS Kiryu without having to pay MSRP for Mecha Ghidroah.
Last edited by NateZilla10000 on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

You know what I just realized, how come we never got that really articulated tail that the original burning Godzilla prototype had and instead we got the tail that we got

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

The year of MechaGodzilla hype, followed by poorly painted actual product, incoming

Also, NECA's almost to 300, might wanna reboot that too.

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

I really hope they make a black SOS Kiryu. I know I'm dreaming, but it would be so cool.
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Well, Got Shin for Christmas ... And rather then type out everything again, here is an edited version of my FB post on it:
GIGAN05 Wrote:

Christmas 2016 Kaiju 3: SHMA Shin Godzilla ... (Excuse crappy lighting and wall of text).
Now ... it is situations like this were I am soo thankful for being British, since the Pound to Yen rate is pretty good as of late. I got Shin for roughly £86 as a gift to myself. If I lived in America and paid the $120 for it ... Well, it would not be pretty.
In short - I like it alot more then what I was initially dreading, and happy to have it with all that delicious articulation. but who am I kidding, the presentation is garbage.
The long version - Since day 1, I knew the paint was going to be bad so I kept my expectations low after G14, ugh. Then the photos started coming out upon release and considering this thing had TWO 2CHAN threads, I was embracing the worst.
What did I get? ...
Definitive proof that Tamashii are getting lazy with these things. This is without a doubt the worst looking SHMA in my collection. Mine is not bad per say, but the effort that once was put into this line is gone. There is no soul or energy at all. Mine has some Redneck, not Rudolf red but it's still there in the right light. The bottom jaw/chin was obviously rushed as red is showing. One eye is down while the other is looking straight ahead (Come OOOOON Bandai, 5 years and this is still a thing?). In before "The eyes are tiny" go look at the SRC line. Some robots have pupils and they are done perfectly. There is no excuse this time. They knew this one would sell like gangbusters and flung out as many as they could.
But the worst offender for lazy paint on mine, is on the left foot. The claws are the worst I have ever seen. Think a paint palate with water color smudges on it. That is the claws in a nutshell.
I just cannot defend this level of carelessness, not anymore.

With that, you probably conclude that I hate the figure -
https://www.youtube.com/watch
Now, I did not expect to look good at all ... But the things I did look forward to, the height and the articulation, are exactly what I got.
Unlike the Godzilla's that came before (Maybe GMK as an exception) Shin has presence and size. It is not puny in the slightest. I love how it towers over Godzilla 1954 and co, making it stand out.
Articulation, what can I say? Minus the head, I feel the amount and engineering are on point. The tail is to die for. Yes, it has been shrunk but I don't feel cheated unlike with Kiryu or Destoroyah.
I cannot deny the amount of fun I have had posing Shin since trying him out.
The sculpt issues I can tolerate (Unlike Godzilla 1954) For some reason the shovel jaw has not irked me as much as everyone else.

But sadly, despite those praises ... it still is not enough.
Yes, I have ended up enjoying it in the end, but that does not change the fact that something really did go wrong somewhere. Just look at the overwhelming amount of QC issues people in this group and beyond have experienced.
Compared to 2011 - 2013, the fire and excitement died with G14.
And honestly, I am tired. I am soo tired of hoping to god these things avoid customs knowing full well the figures become a gamble on what QC issues you will encounter. I have tolerated it long enough, and have always tried to find something good about problem SHMA's, but I can't do it anymore and Shin has made this crystal clear.
Since having our house refurbished, lack of space has become apparent, forcing me to stop collecting for a long time. So Shin came at just the right time.
So there you have it.

However, 1 more figure was ordered for Christmas but got stuck in customs. It will be here Wednesday. I asked for it in cased this happened with Shin and I have heard nothing but praise for it.
Stay tuned.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

GIGAN05 wrote:Well, Got Shin for Christmas ...
Lucky. I'm still hunting for him (I don't care about the paint). Screw scalpers and their $200+ prices. Screw licensing issues. Praise the Lord for MANDARAKE and Jungle with their $120-150 prices on Shin.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Kaijunator wrote: (I don't care about the paint). Praise the Lord for --- $120-150 prices on Shin.
There is a lot wrong this statement. Though for this thread and this lines collectors, it's par for the course.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

So how are Destoroyahs wings? Are they fragile do they snap easily

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Saw pics of the ultimate burning G I was looking forward to.

For $70? I'd buy it.

But for $90? LOL fuck outta here, tamashii. You're drunk, go home.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Grunkle Sans wrote:Any way to make G2K stand more upright from the pose he comes in in the box (Specifically G2K Special Color). I've seen some online that are standing upright but mine is very hunched over, and it doesn't seem like I can move it up much more than it already is. Also, I hope Kiryu gets a re-release since they're doing a bunch of MechaGs, I love Kiryu, him being my 2nd or 3rd favorite monster, and my favorite overall MechaG.
I am hoping for a more movie-accurate G2K.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

godzilla1541 wrote:So how are Destoroyahs wings? Are they fragile do they snap easily
Nope.

Jungle has the original one (the one with the translucent eyes and horn) for $129, $138, $147, and $184 without shipping.
Last edited by Kaijunator on Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Naruto65
Futurian

Post by Naruto65 »

G1985 wrote: Naruto65, I'm of the opinion that there was a change even before that, to a slightly softer plastic. My guess is that this occurred some time shortly around the release of Destroyah / Godzilla Jr. Can you confirm / correct me?
Softer plastic was first seen in the original G2K figure. That was a design change more than a factory change.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Aaaaah, starting fresh!
LegendZilla wrote:
I am hoping for a more movie-accurate G2K.
Same here, I've always liked that particular Godzilla design and have always wanted to have it in my films. So I've always hoped they would make one. But at the point we're at now, one can't help but worry.
This is the beginning of the end.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Kaijunator wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:So how are Destoroyahs wings? Are they fragile do they snap easily
Nope.

Jungle has the original one (the one with the translucent eyes and horn) for $129, $138, $147, and $184 without shipping.
Actually - yes they are. More so the inner wings, it's not one piece - they are segmented. As to why Tamashii did this, no clue - I guess they wanted it to look cool. The material feels brittle and the ball joints holding them in are EXTREMELY tiny and many people in the past has had breakage - not from rough play or anything, but the wing segments can become unaligned and turn into a train wreck and while correcting them the material became stressed and snapped.

Honestly - its really the only flaw with Destoroyah. Other then his upper and lower sections not wanting to stay connecting. Myself and others have reported this as well, its not really a major problem but it can be. Spontaneously he can become bisected during posing and his upper torso can shelf dive and explode on impact (has happened to a few people). I'd honestly glue the joint into the housing or nail polish if you don't want it to be permanent.

With the prices hes going for now, and Jungles shipping fee's and international order fees. I'd wait for the Special Color reissue.

Moonknightspect
GPN Volunteer

Post by Moonknightspect »

Christmas has treated me well this year and I finally got Biollante and for a reasonable price (imo). I was pleasantly surprised at her size and the lack of quality control issues compared to what has been released lately. Glad to finally add another "holy grail" to my Monsterarts collection, now I just need Kiryu.