Monster Toy Spotlight #13 - Anguirus (Showa/1968-1974)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Monster Toy Spotlight #13 - Anguirus (Showa/1968-1974)

Postby Castellan Zilla » Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:57 am

Lucky number 13. Betcha guys thought I was gonna go with Godzilla 1998/Zilla, eh?

Soon. Very soon.

Anyway, I decided to go with Godzilla's very first opponent, the spikey underdog himself; ANGUIRUS*. Quite possibly my favorite official Toho Kaiju to date. I just love him. He's the Krillin of the Godzilla universe, usually outmatched and outclassed but still gives it his all. Makes me wish I had a more wide selection of figures of him, but alas, this is all I have.

While the red fiery Anguirus is supposed to represent the version of 1955; Godzilla Raids Again, it's clearly just a repaint of the mold we all know and love. Hence, why I've included it. You can't fool me Bandai.

Fun fact, you can take awesome photos with vinyls, not just articulated figures.

HERE'S ANGY!

Nothing beats taking a nice nap with a plushie of your best pal.

*I feel that Anguirus 1955 should have his own thread at some point, since it's a very iconic looking design.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #13 - Anguirus (Showa/1968-1974)

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:12 am

Love this choice for the spotlight. Doesn't get any more classic than Showa Anguirus.

I'll be posting the rest of my Anguirus figures one by one as this thread progresses. For now, I'll start off with the fantastic Marmit MH Anguirus 68 with regular paint scheme:

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KaijuZoo
Samurai

Postby KaijuZoo » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:44 am

Marmit Vinyl Paradise series VP-59 1998

Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:47 am

A couple shots of my Xplus 25cm Anguirus:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:23 pm

Here's the Bandai 8" Anguirus from the late 80's/early 90's. Not sure what year, as it didn't come with a tag. Nevertheless, an awesome figure!

Resized Image

LamangoKaijura
EDF Soldier

Postby LamangoKaijura » Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:35 pm

I remember a certain meme-ber kept saying M1s and Marmit made crappy happy meal tier toys... This was usually my go to figure to show him they're skreeonking awesome.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Postby KlenSeven » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:52 pm

Parababies!
Resized Image

Marmit Iron Joe!

Iwakura!

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:57 am

Man, the Marmit Iron Joe figures are awesome...wish there would have been more figures in that line, as some of them are on par/better than their Xplus counterparts. How does it compare scale-wise with the Xplus 25cm figure...smaller/bigger/pretty much the same?

Here are some more online reviews from R. Eso/Fresh Vinyl:

Xplus 30cm Anguirus

Xplus 25cm Anguirus

Both are great sculpts, but for me, the 25cm figure slightly edges the 30cm figure due to its more dynamic pose...
Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Postby KlenSeven » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:11 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Man, the Marmit Iron Joe figures are awesome...wish there would have been in that line, as some of them are on par/better than their Xplus counterparts. How does it compare scale-wise with the Xplus 25cm figure...smaller/bigger/pretty much the same?
Bigger body, shorter tail. I can get some side by sides this evening.

IIRC the 30cm X-plus was based on the Monster Maker sculpt (I believe this 30cm reissue is the same as the one they released in 09).. Not sure if Eso mentions that in his review, i have hard time sitting through his reviews. :oops:

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:21 am

Here is an oldie, but goodie...the Bandai 8 inch Anguirus figure:

KlenSeven wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Man, the Marmit Iron Joe figures are awesome...wish there would have been in that line, as some of them are on par/better than their Xplus counterparts. How does it compare scale-wise with the Xplus 25cm figure...smaller/bigger/pretty much the same?

Cool, Looking forward to it. Photos of Marmit Iron Joe figures are few and far between.

IIRC the 30cm X-plus was based on the Monster Maker sculpt (I believe this 30cm reissue is the same as the one they released in 09).. Not sure if Eso mentions that in his review, i have hard time sitting through his reviews. :oops:

Haha, yeah. I like his reviews for the most part, but they're definitely not for everyone. Here's a much more mellow review from Leslie Chambers for the Xplus 30 Anguirus figure:

GIGAN05
EDF Soldier

Postby GIGAN05 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:50 am

One of my only shots of the Revoltech Anguirus;
TK's Jojo. It's MUDA.

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:51 pm

Does anyone on this board own the Aoshima Anguirus?

I've only laid eyes on it once about 6-7 years ago at a shop in Akihabara (it was going for well over $400 :shock: ). It's quite huge (probably to big for even the Xplus 30cm line scale-wise). I believe Legion1979 may have this figure if memory serves me right, but otherwise I haven't run across too many collectors who own it...

KaijuZoo
Samurai

Postby KaijuZoo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:07 pm

Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:07 pm

Hey Kaijuzoo, was that Marmit Anguirus assembled yourself? Or was it already assembled and sold under the "Iron Joe" banner?

It's looks awesome....

DoctorMafune
Yin-Yang Master

Postby DoctorMafune » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 pm

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Does anyone on this board own the Aoshima Anguirus?

I've only laid eyes on it once about 6-7 years ago at a shop in Akihabara (it was going for well over $400 :shock: ). It's quite huge (probably to big for even the Xplus 30cm line scale-wise). I believe Legion1979 may have this figure if memory serves me right, but otherwise I haven't run across too many collectors who own it...

I've got it, and yes, it's much bigger than 30cm scale. But mine's in a box waiting on a new paint job... Had it in air-conditioned storage in the original box, and when I opened it, found that black paint used in washes on the dorsal spines had sweated off them (!) and trickled all over everything.

Not what I expected from a figure that retailed for ¥38,000.

Still, that gives me an excuse to customize it as Anguirus 1968. :mrgreen:
"Rudeness is the weak person's imitation of strength." -- Eric Hoffer

KaijuZoo
Samurai

Postby KaijuZoo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:50 am

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Hey Kaijuzoo, was that Marmit Anguirus assembled yourself? Or was it already assembled and sold under the "Iron Joe" banner?

It's looks awesome....
Thx!! :D :)
I bought 10 of the Marmit kits and built and painted them. Iron Joe were the same kits however the joints were not filled and detailed unlike mine.

My webpage noted above shows some of the assembly process.
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:12 am

KaijuZoo wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Hey Kaijuzoo, was that Marmit Anguirus assembled yourself? Or was it already assembled and sold under the "Iron Joe" banner?

It's looks awesome....
Thx!! :D :)
I bought 10 of the Marmit kits and built and painted them. Iron Joe were the same kits however the joints were not filled and detailed unlike mine.

My webpage noted above shows some of the assembly process.

I overlooked that you had posted a link to you site showing it being assembled. :oops: You are very skilled. Have you also assembled Gigan/Megalon too?

Below are some photos of various Anguirus figures posted on the MZ boards back in 2013 by a member named eabaker (sadly, he has ceased posting and hasn't logged onto MZ since 2015...his contributions to the toy threads there have been sorely missed). He has a nice variety of interesting Anguirus figures.

eabaker wrote:SD Anguirus Figure (these were sold individually in most convenience stores such as 7-11)

Godzilla Origins Anguirus Plush

Nice group shot eabaker posted of his entire Anguirus collection:

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Postby KlenSeven » Mon Mar 07, 2016 5:56 am

KlenSeven wrote:

Better late than never
Resized Image

ebirahsmeg1
G-Grasper

Postby ebirahsmeg1 » Mon Mar 07, 2016 6:14 am

I believe this is the first time I've seen both the Xplus 25cm and Marmit Iron Joe figure together. Honestly, they both look fantastic and I could live with either one. Thanks for posting the photo!

How many Marmit Iron Joe figures were there? I know of the Gigan (I saw it for only 9000 yen [$90] 5-6 years ago in Akihabara, but at that time I was more interested in chasing Japanese women than I was collecting :lol: God how I regret not nabbing that figure when I had the chance) and Megalon figures...

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Postby KlenSeven » Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:20 am

I know they did a gorgeous Hedorah (i feel the 30cm X-Plus is comparable), Gigan, Megalon and Anguirus. There were a few additional Marmit kits that got assembled and painted, but i'm not sure how many got they were "Iron Joe" or not. Like i don't think the painted Marmit Desugoji was an Iron Joe, same with the Yog trio

Return to “Toho Toys, Models and Collectibles”