Wallet Killers - The Most Expensive Item You Own or Purchase

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Re: Wallet Killers - The Most Expensive Item You Own?

Post by KlenSeven »

crowzilla wrote:
but neither of those prices would make a top ten list of most expensive Godzilla collectibles.
What's the top ten look like?

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Just dropped $645 on the Xplus Godzilla vs Biollante set! My new most expensive purchase!
Damn, I think your the new leader for most expensive item in this thread so far :P You barely beat my Mem. Box. Something I don't know if I should be proud of or not. :lol:

I know a few people own the Bandai RC MG, which would be the king of this thread until you get into some really obscure stuff.
I never mentioned what I paid for my Bullmark Megalon since I think it's a personal thing, (to quote SpaceG92, it's "something I don't know if I should proud of or not" :P ) but I will say my Megalon is still very securely at the top as the most expensive item posted in this thread.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

Mine would have to be the 1984 Bandai Godzilla w/card.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Creature22 wrote:
crowzilla wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote: I saw the RC MG going for the equivalent of 10 grand on a Japanese auction site a couple months ago
Huge difference between asking $10K and actually selling for $10K.
Of the last two that sold on YJ, one was 301,000 yen and the other 179,000 yen (http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d184034722 and http://page23.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/a ... o126384232).

but neither of those prices would make a top ten list of most expensive Godzilla collectibles.
Regardless, that's a pretty obscene price. I remember when that thing came out though; it's price was always ridiculously high. Did they do a limited run or something?
It was discontinued after a year and a half I think.

Which is bullshit because that thing is awesome.
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Creature22 wrote:Regardless, that's a pretty obscene price. I remember when that thing came out though; it's price was always ridiculously high. Did they do a limited run or something?

That explains it. Quality wise, it only looks like it would have a price slightly higher than that of a normal Chogokin or DX toy if it got a longer and wider release. But oh well. That's too good to be true.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Re: Wallet Killers - The Most Expensive Item You Own or Purc

Post by Dyrakro »

Well, I just paid 96,13$ for Godzillasaurus and Anguirus 1955. But compared to the prices some of you paid that's nearly nothing :D

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

And from what line would those be? The Bandai vinyls?
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

KlenSeven wrote:
crowzilla wrote:
Doesn't look like I can post photos in the thread, but this guy would be at or near the top of many lists:

[Pic]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8yn_ ... model2.jpg[/Pic]

As would these:
[Pic]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Kbv3 ... /model.jpg[/Pic]

when talking only vinyls, these are certainly in there (but all are less than the plamodels above):
[Pic]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nu23 ... /vinyl.jpg[/Pic]

And of course there are posters (especially for the first film) that would be above even these.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

crowzilla wrote:
KlenSeven wrote:
crowzilla wrote:
Doesn't look like I can post photos in the thread, but this guy would be at or near the top of many lists:

[Pic]https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-8yn_ ... model2.jpg[/Pic]

As would these:
[Pic]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-Kbv3 ... /model.jpg[/Pic]

when talking only vinyls, these are certainly in there (but all are less than the plamodels above):
[Pic]https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-nu23 ... /vinyl.jpg[/Pic]

And of course there are posters (especially for the first film) that would be above even these.
Great photos! Are they yours?
That first one, the giant remote controlled Marusan... did that one ever see release? I know the Plamodels did but I'm not sure about the larger Godzilla. I know they eventually remade it as a vinyl figure though.

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Creature22 wrote: Great photos! Are they yours?
That first one, the giant remote controlled Marusan... did that one ever see release? I know the Plamodels did but I'm not sure about the larger Godzilla. I know they eventually remade it as a vinyl figure though.
None of them are mine any longer, but all of them have passed through my hands.
Yes, the giant Marusan RC Godzilla was released. When I sold the one in that photo a few years ago it sold for about the equivalent of $15,000 USD (was sold in Japan, so an estimate on the exchange rate) - and that was built up, without the box as pictured. unbuilt in box would be double or more.
The MIB Baragon actually sold for more, but there is no doubt the Giant Godzilla is the more valuable item.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

crowzilla wrote:
Yes, the giant Marusan RC Godzilla was released. When I sold the one in that photo a few years ago it sold for about the equivalent of $15,000 USD (was sold in Japan, so an estimate on the exchange rate) - and that was built up, without the box as pictured. unbuilt in box would be double or more.
The MIB Baragon actually sold for more, but there is no doubt the Giant Godzilla is the more valuable item.
Wow; thanks for the info on that. Do you have a link to what the Giant Godzilla's box looked like by any chance? Aside from the Plamodels I've only seen the box for the 1964 tin toy (which, if I was a rich man and not a poor college boy, I would own... :cry: ). It must have been huge.

kiro11
Yojimbo

Post by kiro11 »

crowzilla wrote:
God damn $15,000? :shock: That's several times more than my whole collection is worth... I would want to see the collection of the person who can afford to drop that much on one figure.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

As of 1998 the rarest and most expensive Godzilla item ever produced was the Plamodel Large Scale Godzilla at $8,000 or more (the vinyl version of that RC Godzilla?). Of course that was almost 20 years ago so there's no telling how expensive that sucker is now.

The rest of the top 10 list (back in 1998 mind you) was...

2. Plamodel Ebirah, $7000
3. Plamodel Baragon, $6000
4. Plamodel Godzilla, $5000
5. Bullmark RC Gigan, $3000
6. Plamodel Hatching Minya, $2000
7. Marusan Giant Gorilla, $2500
8. Bullmark Megalon, $2000
9. Bullmark Mechagodzilla, $2000
10. Bullmark Hedorah (pink variant), $1500

Of course much of this has changed in 15 plus years but the Plamodels seem to be the rarest and most expensive of all Godzilla figures.

All pricing from The Unotherized Guide to Godzilla Collectibles by Sean Linkenback.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:As of 1998 the rarest and most expensive Godzilla item ever produced was the Plamodel Large Scale Godzilla at $8,000 or more (the vinyl version of that RC Godzilla?). Of course that was almost 20 years ago so there's no telling how expensive that sucker is now.

Of course much of this has changed in 15 plus years but the Plamodels seem to be the rarest and most expensive of all Godzilla figures.

All pricing from The Unotherized Guide to Godzilla Collectibles by Sean Linkenback.
Since the Plamodels were basically the earliest Japanese Godzilla figures it's fitting that they make the top of the list... they came before the first vinyls and were a lot less durable due to the fact that they were plastic kits. Finding one mint in the box is probably like finding the Holy Grail.
I always thought the tin figures were up there too, but maybe since they were more durable they're not as difficult to find. I've seen them online more often than the kits for sure.

As for the large scale Plamodel, it has been done in vinyl more recently. It's huge!

crowzilla
Samurai

Post by crowzilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:As of 1998 the rarest and most expensive Godzilla item ever produced was the Plamodel Large Scale Godzilla at $8,000 or more (the vinyl version of that RC Godzilla?). Of course that was almost 20 years ago so there's no telling how expensive that sucker is now.

All pricing from The Unauthorized Guide to Godzilla Collectibles by Sean Linkenback.
Yes, I would say the top five back then are still the top five now (the Plamodel large scale Godzilla, is the RC Godzilla I posted the picture to, well the link to the picture), and yes I would say the prices have all gone up.
The last MIB RC Gigan I saw sell on Yahoo Japan went for over ¥800,000. And have heard of store sales above that. The Ebirah and Baragon both easily go over ¥1million if MIB.
Important to note though, that in the case of these Plamodels, mint, unbuilt in box is much, much more expensive than built up (especially if the box is missing).
I agree the tins can also be expensive (especially the Marusan Baragon and Godzilla), but they would probably fall just short of the top ten toys in price (they would certainly easily be more than $1500 if nice and with a box, but less than the current market value of the top ten).

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Before today, the most expensive item I ever bought was surprisingly still under $200, which is tied for both the Gigabrain King Ghidorah figure and Marmit Monster Heaven Large Biollante (both clocked in around $140-150). To be honest, I'm an extremely patient collector and am willing to wait years to find a good deal on a figure I want. However, this year's bonus was far better than usual, so these two motherf**kers have officially taken their place at the top of the leader board:

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Before today, the most expensive item I ever bought was surprisingly still under $200, which is tied for both the Gigabrain King Ghidorah figure and Marmit Monster Heaven Large Biollante (both clocked in around $140-150). To be honest, I'm an extremely patient collector and am willing to wait years to find a good deal on a figure I want. However, this year's bonus was far better than usual, so these two motherf**kers have officially taken the their place at the top of the leader board:

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81 ... u4oc2o.jpg
http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx81 ... y66zuq.jpg
How much you drop for your set? I got mine for just under $650.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote: How much you drop for your set? I got mine for just under $650.
Just under $500. Plus about $5+ to buy batteries since they were not included :evil: (That was my one gripe...they charge an arm and a leg for this set, they least they could have done was include batteries, but I digress :lol: )...
GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

No question;

And because of bloody UK customs, think it nearly ended up near £200 ...

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Creature22 wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Creature22 wrote:Regardless, that's a pretty obscene price. I remember when that thing came out though; it's price was always ridiculously high. Did they do a limited run or something?

That explains it. Quality wise, it only looks like it would have a price slightly higher than that of a normal Chogokin or DX toy if it got a longer and wider release. But oh well. That's too good to be true.
It went for about $700 - $800 I think.
GIGAN05 wrote:No question;

http://pre04.deviantart.net/6fd7/th/pre ... 72ys3o.jpg

And because of bloody UK customs, think it nearly ended up near £200 ...
ONLY £200!? That's $285! The cheapest I can find it is $500 (£350) you lucky bastard...
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER