Monster Toy Spotlight #8 - MechaGodzilla (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Dannybeane
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #8 - MechaGodzilla (Showa)

Post by Dannybeane »

KaijuZoo wrote:
Dannybeane wrote:Thanks a lot! Its probably my favorite photo of my collection! Did you ever finish moving from Dayton btw?
No, we are still in between both houses. Spent the Thanksgiving and Xmas/New Years holidays at the new house with family, now back in Ohio packing other stuff up and getting the house ready to list with a realtor. Why don't you come down to Dayton and buy a bunch of my kaiju crap??!! :lol:
Well I do need to make a trip back to my parents place...

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Creature22 wrote:I'll be game for doing #9!
Cool, looking forward to it.

Here is another online Xplus 30cm MG 74 figure review from LeslieChambers:

While not exactly a "review", here are the Xplus 74-75 figures (25cm?) compared with one another with a video from Simon West:

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

AWMGodzilla62
G-Force Personnel

Post by AWMGodzilla62 »

KaijuZoo wrote:
ebirahsmeg1 wrote:Well, we are fast approaching the wediekend. Any volunteers who would like to start the next Monster Toy Spotlight #9? Or do you have anyone in mind you'd like to nominate KaijuZoo?
Looking back at previous spotlight threads, I think one of these guys would be good candidates if they are interested: AWMGodzilla62, Creature22 or Mr. X.
So first one to post here can accept the torch and start Spotlight #9 this Sat or Sun.
Didn't know this was a pass the torch type thing. Creature22 can do the next one, but I can do next one after that if you guys want. Thanks for suggesting me :)

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

AWMGodzilla62 wrote:Didn't know this was a pass the torch type thing. Creature22 can do the next one, but I can do next one after that if you guys want. Thanks for suggesting me :)
Sure, Creature22 can pass the torch to you for the following weekend. Hopefully he gets the new spotlight started today.
p.s. I noticed on a skullbrain thread that you have a nice collection, lots of lovely vintage!
Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

KaijuZoo wrote:
AWMGodzilla62 wrote:Didn't know this was a pass the torch type thing. Creature22 can do the next one, but I can do next one after that if you guys want. Thanks for suggesting me :)
Sure, Creature22 can pass the torch to you for the following weekend. Hopefully he gets the new spotlight started today.
p.s. I noticed on a skullbrain thread that you have a nice collection, lots of lovely vintage!
Yeah, I'm starting it today. AWMGodzilla62 can do the next thread, I'll make it clear in the post. :D

I'm also a huge fan of vintage vinyl, except I only own a few. I rely mostly on the reissues since I'm a poor college chap. Glad to see there are some other vintage fans on the forums. ;)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Creature22 wrote:
Yeah, I'm starting it today. AWMGodzilla62 can do the next thread, I'll make it clear in the post. :D
Sounds good. I'll send AWM a reminder PM as well towards the end of the week.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

DyDo Coffee Drink MechaGodzilla SD figure. :mechagodzilla: It's supposed to act as a smartphone stand:

Image[/quote][/img]

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Bandai Creations ('74), Bandai ('75) and Chogokin ('74)
Bandai Creations was one of my first few Godzilla toys; for that reason alone, it's one of my favorite figures. Bar the odd looking head and weird arm positions, the sculpt is really quite nice; down to the folds and creases emulating the original suit, it's easily one of BC's finer efforts.
Just for clarification, mine is one of the BC reissues; not the MMS reissue.

Bandai's effort, however, is a beautiful figure on a whole new level. The sculpt is absolutely spot on; it even incorporates the slouch MG had in some shots. The 'pose' of the raised hand is a really neat addition, too; I love when Bandai (or Creations) goes for a more dynamic pose. Easily one of Bandai's best. And what's better - I snagged him for a whopping... $25! Keep your eyes open on eBay, people; sometimes sellers have no idea what they're listing.

Little thing I noted - both BC and Bandai's figures have rivets on the bottom jaw, as well - now that's attention to detail!

Lastly, last year's best Christmas present; Chogokin's '74. Not as complex as their '75, but just as impressive. It's really a great figure; sturdy, very accurate, extremely posable (even the hatch on his chest flips open!)... even the included accessories, such as the missile-less hands, upwards facing head, and technically the removable knee missiles, look excellent. The box is very attractive, as well; Inside, there's a pamphlet showing the toy (and some Bandai figures) in recreated stills from GvMG. Very cool, although I can't read the captions! :lol:
If SHMA ever makes a Showa MechaGodzilla, I'd love to see how it stacks up against this model; it'll be tough to beat.

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Hazawa Gumi - I need to get a picture of this with the parababies.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

X-Plus 30cm MechaGodzilla 1975 (Fresh Vinyl)

Looks like it has some QC issues...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Bandai Mechagodzilla 75 (black Memorial Box variant)

Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

The GD-98 Mechagodzilla 2 chogokin. One of my all time favourites.

Old shots are ooooooold.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Really want one but every time I have money I forget about him.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

QUESTION:

Chogokin MG74 vs Chogokin MG75

Thoughts? Opinoins? How do they stack up against each other? Pros? Cons? I'm looking at purchasing one or the other, so this a serious query...

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MG75 looks nicer IMO and comes with more accessories, but other than that they're the same mold. They're Chogokins, not Figuarts so don't expect extreme articulation.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

UltramanGoji wrote:MG75 looks nicer IMO and comes with more accessories, but other than that they're the same mold. They're Chogokins, not Figuarts so don't expect extreme articulation.
Thanks, UG. Rebuttal, anyone?

Actually, everyone's two cents is welcome. Unless you know zilch about these, then your two cents is worthless...