Monster Toy Spotlight #8 - MechaGodzilla (Showa)

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Monster Toy Spotlight #8 - MechaGodzilla (Showa)

Post by KaijuZoo »

Pic syntax doesn't seem to be working so included URL's of images. Anyone know why the PIC images don't display directly?
EDIT: Figured it out, it seems PIC syntax requires Uppercase X on the image size label.

Aaahhh, Space Titanium!! Who doesn't like a little bit of Showa MechaGodzilla?
Resized Image
Sound file: http://www.kaijuzoo.com/images/kzbillmg2/spacetit.wav

I served with the US Navy in Okinawa in 1974 when scenes of Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla were filmed there so that film has always had a strong interest for me.
I probably have about 100 versions of MechaGodzilla figures in my collection. By the way, this spotlight is for Showa MechaGodzilla so MG'74 AND MG'75 figures can be compared.

Here is the first figure to kick this off.
Bandai Chogokin MechaGodzilla '74 - I love the way the light reflects off of the "space titanium" giving a glint of his mechanical prowess!
Resized Image

And this is the Billiken MechaGodzilla '75 kit] that I built and painted on commission in 2008.
Resized Image
Last edited by KaijuZoo on Sat Jan 23, 2016 6:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jonee
KaijuZoo Toys - Where the Monsters Live
http://www.kaijuzoo.com
KaijuZoo Gallery Slideshow
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions
G-Fan "Dealer of the Month" - Summer 2005

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster Toy Spotlight #8 - MechaGodzilla (Showa)

Post by Creature22 »

Excellent figures! Showa Mechagodzilla is one of my favorites as well. One of my favorite movies besides the 1954 version as a kid was Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Here's a picture of the Marusan figure, along with Moguera, from a stop motion film I did awhile back.
Resized Image
Marusan Mechagodzilla is one of the best figures of him in my opinion. :D
Last edited by Creature22 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

KaijuZoo wrote:Pic syntax doesn't seem to be working so included URL's of images. Anyone know why the PIC images don't display directly?
Because you need both 50 posts AND the [IMG] tags instead of the [PIC] ones. The latter are for re-sizing images.

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

UltramanGoji wrote:
KaijuZoo wrote:Pic syntax doesn't seem to be working so included URL's of images. Anyone know why the PIC images don't display directly?
Because you need both 50 posts AND the IMG tags instead of the [PIC] ones. The latter are for re-sizing images.
I know about the 50 post count thingie but check my recent previous posts with inline images - the same PIC syntax is working fine there.
Example: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 11&t=24524
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Parababies

Resized Image

The head comes off of the MG75
Resized Image

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Creature22 wrote:Excellent figures! Showa Mechagodzilla is one of my favorites as well. One of my favorite movies besides the 1954 version as a kid was Terror of Mechagodzilla.

Here's a picture of the Marusan figure, along with Moguera, from a stop motion film I did awhile back.
http://i.imgur.com/fKnwZa4.jpg
Dat image was huuuuuuge. I made it visible by adding in a [pic] tag and keeping it by 800x800. Maursan MG deserves to be seen, and not only his leg :P

+1 the Marusan MG, especially that color way. Drop dead gorgeous sculpt and a really eye grabbing colorway. Been looking to obtain him for a while now.
+1 to Billiken MG. Fantastic kit that I have yet to assemble. Stellar job KaijuZoo on those color shifting paints and just all around great job on him. You really made that Billiken kit pop out!

Going to throw in the Marmit MonsterHeaven MG 74'. Picked him up for a steal off Amazon and have no regrets.
Resized Image

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

The Bandai Creations '74 Mechagodzilla.
Definitely one of the better figures to come out of BC. If only the arms weren't always in that odd position.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Creature22 wrote:Excellent figures! Showa Mechagodzilla is one of my favorites as well. One of my favorite movies besides the 1954 version as a kid was Terror of Mechagodzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/fKnwZa4.jpg
Dat image was huuuuuuge. I made it visible by adding in a [pic] tag and keeping it by 800x800. Maursan MG deserves to be seen, and not only his leg :P

+1 the Marusan MG, especially that color way. Drop dead gorgeous sculpt and a really eye grabbing colorway. Been looking to obtain him for a while now.
+1 to Billiken MG. Fantastic kit that I have yet to assemble. Stellar job KaijuZoo on those color shifting paints and just all around great job on him. You really made that Billiken kit pop out!

Going to throw in the Marmit MonsterHeaven MG 74'. Picked him up for a steal off Amazon and have no regrets.
http://img02.deviantart.net/468d/i/2015 ... 9htb1h.png
Hey thanks for making it smaller; it always makes the images HUGE when I use the link. I wonder if there's a way to make it less squashed though lol. Better than it being too big. :lol:
Cool Marmit Mechagodzilla by the way!

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

Odd, that MG'75 has the correct upper torso but the "belly buttton rule" only shows one instead of the expected two dots. Seems Marmit missed adding the second dot. This page discusses some of the differences between '74 and '75 sculpts.
http://kaijuplanet.blogspot.com/2013_05_01_archive.html
SpaceG92 wrote:+1 to Billiken MG. Fantastic kit that I have yet to assemble. Stellar job KaijuZoo on those color shifting paints and just all around great job on him. You really made that Billiken kit pop out!
My thanks to you for your nice comments. My only regret is that I didn't paint one at the same time for my own collection!!
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Here's one of my favorite Mechagodzilla figures in my collection, the Marmit Monster Heaven Mechagodzilla 1975
What's great about the figure is that I got it at G-Fest 2014, so I was able to get it signed by both stars of Terror of Mechagodzilla. Probably the most valuable figure to me!

Tomoko Ai

Katsuhiko Sasaki
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

Superrex wrote:The Bandai Creations '74 Mechagodzilla.
http://i1318.photobucket.com/albums/t648/jamesdevin0311/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsfgpswgqz.jpeg
Definitely one of the better figures to come out of BC. If only the arms weren't always in that odd position.
Got this one last year as a part ot Movie Monster Ex line, and gosh, the arms are such a letdown. There's no way of posing them the way MG's stance would look natural (if I can use this adjective for a robot monster :D). Otherwise a great figure for its price, shame it got kind of ruined by this.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I have both the Marmit MG 74 & 75 figures. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the MG 75 figure (it's back in the states). So here are shots of the 74 figure.

GIANT CONDOR!!!!!!!! :shock:

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Bandai High Grade series 9 and series 4 both featured a 1974 Mechagodzilla. Series 4 is smaller in less detailed

I hope the pilot ace makes an appearance.

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

I managed to find a photo of my Marmit MH MechaGodzilla 75 figure :mrgreen: Here it is with the Marmit MH Kamacuras (GFW):

Last edited by ebirahsmeg1 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

"Someone kick me, kick me hard! We're stupid." - Corn on the cob eatin' Hippie (Godzilla vs Gigan)

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

X-Plus 25cm 74 and 75

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

Great pics everyone, keep 'em coming!

From 2001, the Marusan stylized flying MG'74.
Just like in the movies, you can see the "wires" that keep the suit suspended in air (in this case, I used 2 pound test monofilament fishing line).
Resized Image

And another look at a flying version, this time an Iwakura MechaG '74 displayable ornament.
Resized Image
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

ebirahsmeg1
Gotengo Officer

Post by ebirahsmeg1 »

Some online reviews from Richard Eso / Fresh Vinyl:

X-Plus 25cm MechaGodzilla '74 w/secret base

X-Plus 25cm MechaGodzilla 1975

X-Plus 30cm MechaGodzilla 74

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

KlenSeven wrote:Bandai High Grade series 9 and series 4 both featured a 1974 Mechagodzilla. Series 4 is smaller in less detailed
http://i.imgur.com/Oncqml.jpg

I hope the pilot ace makes an appearance.
I have a bootleg of the smaller capsule toy from way back when. Even the knock off version looks good; the sculpt of that figure is very nice.

KaijuZoo
GPN Volunteer

Post by KaijuZoo »

KlenSeven wrote:I hope the pilot ace makes an appearance.
I looked at Club Tokyo and don't recall if I ever picked that one up. If so, it is packed up already at the new house.
Creature22 wrote:I have a bootleg of the smaller capsule toy from way back when.
By the way, to "unsquash" your MG pic with Moguera, you can
edit the post and change 800X800 to 800X600, that would be the proper ratio for the resizing.

As for bootleg MechaGodzilla, here are some fun figures from maybe the '80's, no makers mark on them.
Resized Image

And one more here, Carded Bootleg Sparking MechaGodzilla (based on the Takara series).
Resized Image
Jonee
KaijuZoo Moving Sale
Kaijuzoo eBay Auctions

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

"Ages 3 and up" for the figure that shoots sparks. Boy have times changed
KaijuZoo wrote: looked at Club Tokyo and don't recall if I ever picked that one up. If so, it is packed up already at the new house
PM the address and I'll go check for you, don't worry about a key I have my handy crowbar and lucky brick ;)