King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by GFAN198423 »

Good thing it's limited, I feel like a lot of people would see it on the shelf, take a peak and think it's a defect.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I suspect the packaging, which will no doubt show the poster, will make it much more clear what it is.

I'm going to display it alongside NECA's Godzilla 1955 poster set.
Last edited by Poe Ghostal on Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

What a weird repaint.

I might get it.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:01 am I suspect the packaging, which will no doubt show the poster, will make it much more clear what it is.

This looks like the cover, doesn't seem anything to suggest what version it is or why the colors, at least the Godzilla had poster art for box art.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm Colors are based off this old Famous Monsters cover by Basil Gogos.

Quoted cause the image is very large.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

GFAN198423 wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:42 am
Poe Ghostal wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:01 am I suspect the packaging, which will no doubt show the poster, will make it much more clear what it is.

This looks like the cover, doesn't seem anything to suggest what version it is or why the colors, at least the Godzilla had poster art for box art.

Yeah, that's surprising. Usually their specific-color decos come with packaging that has the image it's based on (Comic Predator, NES Godzilla, 1955 Poster Godzilla). Although there have been exceptions like the NES Jason. I would imagine they couldn't get the rights to the image - or it could be related to the fact that their Kong is based on the public domain version.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I’m sure it’s tied to how their Kong is generic, and in typical NECA fashion, they’re releasing a variant to get more bag for their buck, but as others said, why not a black and white variant that would make more sense and look better.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

I would buy a black and white one. And part of me is wondering how far can they take this "their own interpretation" thing. Can they make a Kong that is just a gorilla? And then end up making the 2005 without making the 2005 one.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

the-killer-wc wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm It looks like Homer tried his makeup shot gun on it.

I wish this forum let you like comments. :lol:
UltramanGoji wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm Colors are based off this old Famous Monsters cover by Basil Gogos.
Well that's... random, to say the least.

HD photos, courtesy of Toyark:

https://news.toyark.com/2021/01/27/neca ... iew-416389

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

the-killer-wc wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:01 pm It looks like Homer tried his makeup shot gun on it.

NECA, you've got it set on whore!

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

https://news.toyark.com/2021/01/29/delu ... ore-416712

I feel like this image shows the potential for the figure for me:

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Poe Ghostal wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:57 pm https://news.toyark.com/2021/01/29/delu ... ore-416712

I feel like this image shows the potential for the figure for me:
Oh heck yeah, that shot is gorgeous. Yep, might buy that if I happen upon it.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:16 pm Speaking of Kong 76, I just stumbled onto this via a post on the collectorfreaks forum.

https://youtu.be/oFlYsO317Yc

I tried to post a photo but the only photos I could find were on deviant art and theres a couple YouTube vids but apparently I’m too iPhone illiterate to do anything more than post a raw link to the solicitation video.
That is super cool, and I'm glad somebody went out of their way to make him a decent figure.

Though I do wish someone like Y-MSF would give him a 6" scale vinyl. One can dream. I really hope that some company is able to strike a deal with Paramount eventually (I think they own the rights to the '76 film and its sequel) and release something, or that a good 3rd party effort comes around sometime soon.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

The two funny-color ones together will be my personal "Godzilla Vs. Kong" pairing for the shelf, thank you! (Seriously, one of my problems with recent Kongs is they either look like a real gorilla, which on a shelf with no context just looks dull among the other monsters, or they have lots of bloody cuts and scrapes, which doesn't appeal to me at all, this one's well into the weird range AND no visible blood. He'll be given the 1933 head to better match Poster Godzilla's goofy face).

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

THE NECA HITS JUST KEEP ON COMING: KONG 33 ENEMIES

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Man, this is great. I can't wait until we get the '33 T-Rex.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That's crazy I literally just watched 33 Kong last night at 3am
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

YES! If we get that rex it'll be great news, my kong will finally have something to pose next to.

Poe Ghostal
JXSDF Technician

Post by Poe Ghostal »

I’ve bought a few different Rex stand-ins, and was planning to get the Rebor Charlie Knight-style T. rex, but it will be incredible if we get one from NECA.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

Now we're talking! :D

There's no way they're making dinosaurs for Kong and NOT making a T-Rex to go with them. They posted this with no caption or info, so it's probably a teaser for a larger set. They look a little small with little-to-no articulation; accessories for a larger figure or part of an "accessory set", perhaps? Thinking that there's more to come regardless!

But, hell, even if this is the whole set, I'm on board. It's crazy seeing a toy of the 2-Legged Lizard, albeit a redesigned one.