King Kong Toys

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: King Kong Toys

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I got the NECA Kong, great figure except for being a big ol' greaseball, even after a bath, but I'll wash off all that weird packaging grease eventually. It's only the glossy paint on the skin parts. Weird.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Thanks for the advice, everyone. The Mezco Ultimate Kong arrived on Friday and I've been obsessing on it ever since. Flashbacks to my 15" Kenner Six Million Dollar Man Sasquatch figure back in the 70s! Kong is a beauty. Perhaps overpriced, but I can swing it and he looks great on my nightstand. (I almost went with the excellent Mega Punching Kong instead, but I'm very happy with my choice.)

After slowly getting his joints loosened up, I found his arms offered quite a range of motion even without elbow articulation. The extreme "personality" of the sculpt goes a long way to help the relatively limited articulation create dynamic-looking poses. But you have to make sure that you pose him properly before clearing him for unsupervised display. Much like the Star Ace KSI Kong in the other thread, he started to slowly topple forward a few times. As long as he's posed feet flat with firm resistance to being pushed, he's fine. I was worried that he would be as physically dense as his little brother, but Ultimate Kong is primarily sturdy but hollow vinyl and plastic.

Those eyes. Those eyes are amazing. Mezco did themselves a disservice by using the 7" Kong style eyes for their promotional photos and displays. Check YouTube and Instagram to see how the eyes really look: blazing, angry orange irises ringed with black, like twin Skull Island sunsets. The decals are so effective, with the orange reflecting a great deal of available light. Even in subdued interiors, you can feel those eyes burning into you. No luck yet capturing that subtle glowing quality in a photo.

My Kong is #167, which is one digit away from being 1967, a very good Kong year.

Although he's not any specific movie Kong, the swappable heads allow for the right look and "performance" to recreate a lot of famous moments from K:SI all the way to the '33 original. I'm already thinking of how to make Kong a Ro-Man from Robot Monster head as a Halloween costume for him!

He's a beast alright. Suddenly, my 12" Godzillas don't seem so tough. The Ultimate Kong is so big and imposing that I'm considering foregoing the '33 scale with Ann Darrow and making him K:SI scale with a smoldering, crushed helicopter in one hand!

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

There's no reason you can't do both. King Kong is famous for changing his size depending on what he's standing near, so you could just have a selection of parts. This is the same figure I had the axe and the girl being held by on page 20 and 21, he can sling planes too! These were some little di-cast ones I got when I was a child, I pulled them out of an old box when I got Kong. One broke, not shown here, and I could not get it back together right. So I have it as the 'crushed' plane.

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Having now seen (and loved) Godzilla Vs Kong several times on HBO Max, I'm definitely going to need axes for my big and smaller Kongs. A fun arts 'n crafts project.

I'm having trouble finding a proper display stand for Mezco Ultimate Kong's two alternate heads and hands. The heads are roughly 6" tall! I need something to go alongside the 19" figure on a nightstand or desk, maybe no bigger than a foot tall. Any ideas?

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

This might sound weird, but have you looked into porcelain doll stands? That collector's group has had this problem for centuries and you can find a LOT of stands and racks in the sizes you're talking about. I used one for a Transformers Armada Unicron I got a while back, it worked fine.

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Platypus Prime wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 4:05 am This might sound weird, but have you looked into porcelain doll stands? That collector's group has had this problem for centuries and you can find a LOT of stands and racks in the sizes you're talking about. I used one for a Transformers Armada Unicron I got a while back, it worked fine.
Wow dude same here! I used to buy those for 6 inch skinny The Walking Dead figures! Totally works!
Image Image

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

Plus, for obvious reasons the porcelain doll collectors are REALLY twitchy about things falling over, so their stands tend to be plenty sturdy, even for heavy figures. Downside, they cost a bit more but they do the job.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

There are so many great stand options out there. But yeah, for larger or heavy figures, metal doll stands are hard to beat. I’ve used a black one for my 18” 1989 Batman for years.

Not sure how thick Mez-Kong is, but you might need one of the stands for larger waist sized dolls.

Something like this:

https://www.collectingwarehouse.com/Kai ... Stand-3301

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

Thanks, guys. But, as I said, it's the spare large size heads and hands which I'm looking to display with a stand. The big Mezco Kong can stand on his own.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Well, that same website I linked to has all kinds of options for acrylic risers and stands in all manner of shapes and sizes.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Nanmu V. Rex has been released!

We also get two color variants: all bronze (intentionally like the statue of them in Weta HQ?) and a bloody mouthed brown one

Preorders are up at BBTS and Lanatime shop (likely other places that stock Nanmu but these are the only two I've found. 70-80 for the figure and 95 for the deluxe version that comes with the Kong boneyard stand. Looks GORGEOUS so I won't mind dipping into them once they're out, maybe not preorders because I'm juggling so many currently lol.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:25 pm Nanmu V. Rex has been released!
These aren't licensed, right? If so, interesting that they can get away with that. I saw other ones by Rebor that changed the face and other details a little bit to make sure it wasn't an exact clone, but these look pretty spot-on as far as I can tell.

I think I'll stick with the Playmates ones but these look really, really nice.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Shenanigans wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:02 pm
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 5:25 pm Nanmu V. Rex has been released!
These aren't licensed, right? If so, interesting that they can get away with that. I saw other ones by Rebor that changed the face and other details a little bit to make sure it wasn't an exact clone, but these look pretty spot-on as far as I can tell.
They aren't liscensed, so yes, it is kinda insane how close it is. Especially because they're labeled AS. Vastatosaurus Rex and not just a T. rex like Rebor had to do.

RIP Evan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Late to the game here but finally got my Neca Kong!
I love this guy! I'm gonna dig up some of my Pacific Rim figures and display them together I think. Honestly one of my favorite Neca figures ever made.
I'm a little nervous about his bicep swivel however, I can feel the peg it's on bending a little without actually swiveling. Any advice on how to get it to give? I don't wanna snap his arm off.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 am Late to the game here but finally got my Neca Kong!
I love this guy! I'm gonna dig up some of my Pacific Rim figures and display them together I think. Honestly one of my favorite Neca figures ever made.
I'm a little nervous about his bicep swivel however, I can feel the peg it's on bending a little without actually swiveling. Any advice on how to get it to give? I don't wanna snap his arm off.
Blow drier, dont use hot water as it can affect the paint in the figure, but hit with the blow drier on high for like 20-30 second I have fixed this way a marvel select that was according the user who sold it "Seem to be glued together.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

the-killer-wc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:28 am Blow drier, dont use hot water as it can affect the paint in the figure, but hit with the blow drier on high for like 20-30 second I have fixed this way a marvel select that was according the user who sold it "Seem to be glued together.
If that ain't a flex I don't know what is!

Also thank you, I strong armed Kong but I have another figure I'm going to try this on.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

the-killer-wc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:28 am
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:01 am Late to the game here but finally got my Neca Kong!
Blow drier, dont use hot water as it can affect the paint in the figure, but hit with the blow drier on high for like 20-30 second I have fixed this way a marvel select that was according the user who sold it "Seem to be glued together.
Wait, don't use hot water? Shit.

How does it affect the paint?

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 1:28 pm
the-killer-wc wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:28 am
Wait, don't use hot water? Shit.

How does it affect the paint?
It can cause the paint of toys to peel off or fade away. Specially if it's lets says a die cast piece or just a thin dry brush that was not sealed after. You run the risk of using water too hot or for too long and alter the paint. Now... some figures obviously have a more resistant paint than others or are just plain solid plastic with no paint on them. But why risk it? Just use a blow drier or a heat gun and be safe.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Blow dryers and especially heat guns run the risk of overheating the item and damaging it in various ways (melting, shrinking, discoloring, etc. depending on material).

Ultimately you run the risk of damaging something any time you try to modify it. The key is to have multiple tricks up your sleeve and to know what materials to use which trick with. Personally I wouldn’t have any qualms trying hot water on a neca figure, but to each their own, at your own risk, etc. etc.

Platypus Prime
Interpol Agent

Post by Platypus Prime »

I got two Illustrated Kongs, one had that issue and the arm actually broke off. I was able to exchange it, the other did pop loose after the hair dryer, but I do wonder why the bicep on the upper right arm in both cases had this issue.