Funko Godzilla Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Funko Godzilla Figures Thread

Post by Starsteam »

^All of those are from Diamond, who licensed Godzilla from Toho. NECA and Funko both licensed Godzilla from Warner. Warner only has rights to Godzilla, so they are bound by the same lines. They would have to go to Toho to get more character rights, and NECA (or Toynami or Huckleberry) doesn't seem to want to bother with that. Maybe Funko will.

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

I honestly think Funko will be able to get rights to more Kaiju like Ghidorah, MechaGodzilla, Mothra, Gigan, Anguirus, etc. Those POP figures are crazy popular right now, especially with younger collectors. It seems like you can't go anywhere without seeing those things for sale. If anybody can buy rights to more Goji monsters, they can.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

Starsteam wrote:^All of those are from Diamond, who licensed Godzilla from Toho. NECA and Funko both licensed Godzilla from Warner. Warner only has rights to Godzilla, so they are bound by the same lines. They would have to go to Toho to get more character rights, and NECA (or Toynami or Huckleberry) doesn't seem to want to bother with that. Maybe Funko will.
That makes a lot more sense. I can't recall if the Funko POP Godzilla has Warner Brothers listed on the packging or not, but I feel like they'd be more likely to go directly to Toho for additional rights. (Unless they only intend to do Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah--Warner has those rights now, too, right?)

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
Starsteam wrote:^All of those are from Diamond, who licensed Godzilla from Toho. NECA and Funko both licensed Godzilla from Warner. Warner only has rights to Godzilla, so they are bound by the same lines. They would have to go to Toho to get more character rights, and NECA (or Toynami or Huckleberry) doesn't seem to want to bother with that. Maybe Funko will.
That makes a lot more sense. I can't recall if the Funko POP Godzilla has Warner Brothers listed on the packging or not, but I feel like they'd be more likely to go directly to Toho for additional rights. (Unless they only intend to do Rodan, Mothra, and King Ghidorah--Warner has those rights now, too, right?)
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/sG5OeaSgRi8/maxresdefault.jpg

Clearly Warner.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

RandomDeinonychus wrote:
I'm pretty positive once Godzilla 2 comes around, we'll start seeing those 3 other monsters from NECA and such, classic-style and new movie. I'm not sure if Warner can start licensing them out yet.
I'm really not sure what the deal is, maybe it's just easier to work with Warner than Toho, or maybe there's just something out of limits with it. Diamond imported Japanese Godzilla stuff, so maybe their contacts are better. With Pop having that Asian line, maybe Funko has pretty good contacts too.

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

gimme a legacy muto
your source of self destruction

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

The likeness of the Funko Godzilla is more Toho than Warner so I expect more Toho kaiju. I think MechaGodzilla and Hedorah would be next.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

ILL GREEN wrote:The likeness of the Funko Godzilla is more Toho than Warner so I expect more Toho kaiju. I think MechaGodzilla and Hedorah would be next.
The likeness doesn't matter, all Godzillas have the same copyright. NECA's Classic Godzillas are licensed from Warner too, even though their designs are from Toho movies. Toynami hasn't even made a Legendary Godzilla yet, but all of their products say Warner.

RandomDeinonychus
JXSDF Technician

Post by RandomDeinonychus »

It does seem odd that Funko would imply they were going to have more Godzilla POPs coming, including asking people which monster from the series they'd like to see next as part of a contest recently to win the Godzilla POP figure that came out months ago. They've always seemed pretty Social Media savvy, so surely they wouldn't ask that question and put that expectation in the minds of their fanbase if they knew they couldn't deliver even if they wanted to.

So I guess we'll just have to wait and see: their tweet about having more to reveal at Toy Fair was pretty vague, so I get the feeling they meant in general and there won't be any new Godzilla POPs/figures revealed yet.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Oh thank you blessed Chaiyo for answering our prayers.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

LamangoKaijura wrote: http://i.imgur.com/lc0W1Kh.jpg
Oh thank you blessed Chaiyo for answering our prayers.
Thats the mythical creature in Chinese lore, not the Ultra Monster :lol: Besides that one came out a year or two ago.
Starsteam wrote:
ILL GREEN wrote:The likeness of the Funko Godzilla is more Toho than Warner so I expect more Toho kaiju. I think MechaGodzilla and Hedorah would be next.
The likeness doesn't matter, all Godzillas have the same copyright. NECA's Classic Godzillas are licensed from Warner too, even though their designs are from Toho movies. Toynami hasn't even made a Legendary Godzilla yet, but all of their products say Warner.
True, true.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Nothing Godzilla related at Funko's Toyfair booth. Galleries up at Toyark.

NECA's a no-show, Diamond has problems, and Funko didn't have anything. Not a exciting Toyfair for Godzilla fans.

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

'Nother Hikari Godzilla variant.
Resized Image
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

^Was just about to retract my previous post. I wonder if this one is the "regular" retail version, or another funky one.

I'd like to get one, but part of me wants to wait and see if any go on Amazon real cheap.

Gahdzilluh
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gahdzilluh »

so what did they mean by later tonight

KlenSeven
Interpol Agent

Post by KlenSeven »

Starsteam wrote:^Was just about to retract my previous post. I wonder if this one is the "regular" retail version, or another funky one.

I'd like to get one, but part of me wants to wait and see if any go on Amazon real cheap.
Limited to 500

gigan72
Keizer

Post by gigan72 »

Y'know, I don't think there are any 'regular' versions. Every figure i've seen from the Hikari line has limited to 1000/250/500/etc. on it.
[quote="KaijuFiend"][quote="Birdman"]Do you like what you see?[/quote]
No, and if I didn't value my eyesight so much, I'd bleach my eyes so I never had to see that shit again.[/quote]

11-22-13/11-23-14/12-27-14

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

KlenSeven wrote:
Starsteam wrote:^Was just about to retract my previous post. I wonder if this one is the "regular" retail version, or another funky one.

Limited to 500
They're all limited. I meant "regular" as in non-exclusive. The first couple variants were exclusives.

ILL GREEN
Gotengo Officer

Post by ILL GREEN »

Just got Hikari Ghost Godzilla, surprised he is totally crystal'd out! Try to get a pic without much silhouette going on but here how it looks.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

I kinda hate the "limited" thing on stuff. When they're artificially made like that, I mean.
A limited, one-run thing like NECA's Otachi is one thing. But making only 500 copies of something or "event/store exclusive" stuff is just an excuse for scalpers to buy a bunch and then selling them for absurd prices.
But that's capitalism I guess.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!