NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Re: The NECA Godzilla 2nd Edition

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

I think ghost Godzilla is a stupid idea IMO. He's not even real.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

DoktorLegacy
Yojimbo

Post by DoktorLegacy »

Ghost godzilla is real in our hearts
Weow

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:I think ghost Godzilla is a stupid idea IMO. He's not even real.
He's stupid because he was never real?
kay :roll:
If he's not real, then what the hell would you call the GMK Godzilla then? He's an undead version of Godzilla, that would technically make him a Ghost Godzilla.
And you don't even know what the Ghost Godzilla repaint would even look like, so it's kinda stupid to call it stupid. It might have looked REALLY good, I for one, think a G 54 figure with soulless white eyes would have been a pretty cool figure to own.
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I'd much rather Stan Winston's Godzilla than Ghost Godzilla if we're going to dive into concepts that never made it to screen.

DoubleDam21
G-Grasper

Post by DoubleDam21 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Frankly, I think a Ghost Godzilla is just lazy because it would just be another repaint.
I don't see how...I mean yeah its a repaint but to actually consider something like that is pretty neat. Do I wish they would do just the regular Godzilla "sure" but I don't them avoiding repaints especially in this line.
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:I think ghost Godzilla is a stupid idea IMO. He's not even real.
Well technically Godzilla isn't real either so there :P

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Though it won't happen, I'm still pretty appreciative that NECA at least tried to push for HB and Marvel Godzilla.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I'm pretty sure he's just saying that it's an unused idea. Shit, even Bagan got to appear in a video game.

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:Though it won't happen, I'm still pretty appreciative that NECA at least tried to push for HB and Marvel Godzilla.
They have stated they have. I don't think Toho wants to share rights with other companies like HB or Marvel, who'd want to split the profits. It pains me that they might never happen. But at the same time I'm glad Toho wants to focus on their suits. I'm just dying to see the designs that are yet to be approved! As long as they represent Godzilla suits we have yet to see done by NECA, I'll be happy.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I don't think Marvel has any rights to Godzilla in any way shape for form. They gave the rights back in like...1978 after the first and only Godzilla series.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Marvel has no rights to Godzilla which is why they didn't keep using the design and change the name. Marvel Godzilla looked different enough from Toho Godzilla that chance could have been taken if they wanted.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The fact that Marvel no longer has the rights to use Godzilla does no in any way mean that Toho now has the rights to that design, though. Trying to do a Marvel Godzilla figure would definitely mean negotiating rights with both companies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:The fact that Marvel no longer has the rights to use Godzilla does no in any way mean that Toho now has the rights to that design, though. Trying to do a Marvel Godzilla figure would definitely mean negotiating rights with both companies.
The rights reverted to Toho. Knowing how Toho writes the majority of their contracts doesn't it make more sense they control the Marvel Godzilla? This is the same company who controls the 98 Godzilla design, the Mutos and the Trilobites despite not creating them.

If Toho doesn't own the rights to the Marvel Godzilla look then Marvel should use their parent Disney's money and try to re introduce Marvel Godzilla as an entirely new character and capitalize on the dinosaur monster boom that is about to happen.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

miguelnuva wrote:If Toho doesn't own the rights to the Marvel Godzilla look then Marvel should use their parent Disney's money and try to re introduce Marvel Godzilla as an entirely new character and capitalize on the dinosaur monster boom that is about to happen.
It's not as simple as you make it out to be, their's much more that happens behind the scenes. and why would even do that they made Marvel Godzilla into various creatures after his series ended, though he's never referred to as Godzilla and they never mention him. but it's strongly implied with dialogue from Dr Demclioues and with the appearance of the scientist from the series in a X Man issue, which had him on a island with a green giant monster they can easily just make a giant monster on their own.
Godzilla

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Why doesn't NECA just make the first ever 6 inch figure of G89/91? I mean, the could just take the arms, legs, and lower torso of 94, change up the head, upper body, neck and head slightly, and rearrange the spines and they could have it. And it shouldn't take much approval from Toho, seeing how that it is a Heisei suit, and Toho just absolutely loves that era for some reason.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

cmdmstudios wrote:Why doesn't NECA just make the first ever 6 inch figure of G89/91? I mean, the could just take the arms, legs, and lower torso of 94, change up the head, upper body, neck and head slightly, and rearrange the spines and they could have it. And it shouldn't take much approval from Toho, seeing how that it is a Heisei suit, and Toho just absolutely loves that era for some reason.
My guess would be that 89/91 (which is a figure I'd buy in a heartbeat) would be low priority because it's sufficiently similar to the '94 design that most casual collectors would consider it redundant to have both.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
cmdmstudios wrote:Why doesn't NECA just make the first ever 6 inch figure of G89/91? I mean, the could just take the arms, legs, and lower torso of 94, change up the head, upper body, neck and head slightly, and rearrange the spines and they could have it. And it shouldn't take much approval from Toho, seeing how that it is a Heisei suit, and Toho just absolutely loves that era for some reason.
My guess would be that 89/91 (which is a figure I'd buy in a heartbeat) would be low priority because it's sufficiently similar to the '94 design that most casual collectors would consider it redundant to have both.
Doesn't matter, NECA loves retools/repaints and they did release G95.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:The fact that Marvel no longer has the rights to use Godzilla does no in any way mean that Toho now has the rights to that design, though. Trying to do a Marvel Godzilla figure would definitely mean negotiating rights with both companies.
The rights reverted to Toho. Knowing how Toho writes the majority of their contracts doesn't it make more sense they control the Marvel Godzilla? This is the same company who controls the 98 Godzilla design, the Mutos and the Trilobites despite not creating them.

If Toho doesn't own the rights to the Marvel Godzilla look then Marvel should use their parent Disney's money and try to re introduce Marvel Godzilla as an entirely new character and capitalize on the dinosaur monster boom that is about to happen.
The rights to the character, name and backstory of Godzilla reverted to Toho. The comic character design and other designs created within the book all remained Marvels. The actual giant monster character continued to show up every now and again, just without ever using the G word although they made a few design and color tweaks to further differentiate him from Toho's character. I think marvel finall killed the character off at one point. The SHIELD Behemoth, Red Ronin and some of the human characters still show up periodically.

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Doesn't matter, NECA loves retools/repaints and they did release G95.
Uh, I think it does matter. The most significantdifference between the 89 and 94 suits is the arrangement of the back plates.

Neca does repaints and retools, yes, but a truly spot on 89 godzilla would be a big effort for very little difference.

I dunno, maybe it's because I dont understand everyone's insane fascination with that suit, but it doesnt seem like it'd be justifiable.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
I dunno, maybe it's because I dont understand everyone's insane fascination with that suit, but it doesnt seem like it'd be justifiable.
Personally, its my favorite suit because it really makes Godzilla look like a king while still having all his classic features. The upright stance and dark brown eyes make him look more menacing then the later heisei Godzilla suits and isn't bulky to the point of looking fat. That's just my opinion. :D

I'd just be happy if we got this from NECA:
^This post in sexually offensive.

1tisoygoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by 1tisoygoji »

I'm sorry but that kitbash looks terrible IMO.