NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
kaiju115
G-Grasper

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Postby kaiju115 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:34 pm

miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:I'm skreeonking stupid D'oh, and I call myself a wrestling fan.

Sorry guy's I should have known the terminology.

But yeah, I don't have PR job nor a 24' Goji. I feel ashamed.

That 24' is a sexy beast. Neca should have had a 19,54 and Shin out in that scale by now.

A 24 inch Godzilla 2019 would be cool, but if they ever make a 24 inch Godzilla 1954 & Shin Godzilla(Shin would probably be 36 inch because again, DAT TAIL!!!!) I would preorder them in a heartbeat. Heck I also wouldn't mind a 24 inch Godzilla 1984 provided they make some improvements over the 6 inch figure.
Last edited by kaiju115 on Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

MandaSaurus
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby MandaSaurus » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm

goji89 wrote:I must be the only guy here who doesn't own a single piece of PR merch.

Very possible. I wish I had bought MORE of NECA's PR stuff when I had the chance...

master_of_monsters
G-Grasper

Postby master_of_monsters » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:56 pm

kaiju115 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
goji89 wrote:I'm skreeonking stupid D'oh, and I call myself a wrestling fan.

Sorry guy's I should have known the terminology.

But yeah, I don't have PR job nor a 24' Goji. I feel ashamed.

That 24' is a sexy beast. Neca should have had a 19,54 and Shin out in that scale by now.

A 24 inch Godzilla 2019 would be cool, but if they ever make a 24 inch Godzilla 1954 & Shin Godzilla(Shin would probably be 36 inch because again, DAT TAIL!!!!) I would preorder them in a heartbeat. Heck I also wouldn't mind a 24 inch Godzilla 1984 provided they make some improvements over the 6 inch figure.

I asked them about 24 inchers a while ago but never got a response
your source of self destruction

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:09 pm

So I already pre-ordered SH Rodan and Mothra, mostly for the lovely Rodan. As for Mothra, though, it's hard to tell with the promotional photos as what's better between the SH and Neca Mothra.

How is Neca Mothra, if anyone has it? Is the paint, sculpt, and articulation good? More importantly, are the joints sturdy? (This is my biggest worry for the Monsterart). I don't usually get multiple figures of a single character design, but I see a $22 dollar Neca Mothra and I'm wondering if it would be a smart idea to play it safe and buy it.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

GFAN198423
E.S.P.Spy

Postby GFAN198423 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:11 pm

I got lucky with my Mothra, my wing joints hold well, but I’ve seen others less fortunate.

The paint is pretty basic, though she’s so small you’ll hardly notice on a shelf, you mainly see the wings which look amazing, the translucency really makes a difference. I touched up the paint on mine but I plan to do photography, and you’ll notice in that instance.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:33 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:How is Neca Mothra, if anyone has it? Is the paint, sculpt, and articulation good? More importantly, are the joints sturdy? (This is my biggest worry for the Monsterart). I don't usually get multiple figures of a single character design, but I see a $22 dollar Neca Mothra and I'm wondering if it would be a smart idea to play it safe and buy it.

It's decent, definitely not worth the $27 price tag, since it's essentially a glorified accessory with nothing to make up for the price tag. But while that's mainly due to the design itself, she should be at least 2x larger to match the films size.

SHMA made the same mistake too so it's kinda a lose/lose. However, SHMA makes up for that by having intensely painted wings and seemingly extra articulation in the body.

NECA somewhat skipped out on their wings by having some nice yet bland translucent wings.

I feel like i'll get a better deal with the Rodan 2 pack. Even though i'm essentially paying triple for a Rodan lmfao.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sith Apprentice. きの Dragon Tamer. ニューヨーク市.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:35 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:How is Neca Mothra, if anyone has it? Is the paint, sculpt, and articulation good? More importantly, are the joints sturdy? (This is my biggest worry for the Monsterart). I don't usually get multiple figures of a single character design, but I see a $22 dollar Neca Mothra and I'm wondering if it would be a smart idea to play it safe and buy it.

It's decent, definitely not worth the $27 price tag, since it's essentially a glorified accessory with nothing to make up for the price tag. But while that's mainly due to the design itself, he should be at least 2x larger to match the films size.

SHMA made the same mistake too so it's kinda a lose/lose. However, SHMA makes up for that by having intensely painted wings and seemingly extra articulation in the body.

NECA somewhat skipped out on their wings by having some nice yet bland translucent wings.

You can say that again about the size. In the film Rodan was trying to bite Mothra's head. As a figure, Mothra's entire body is the size of Rodan's head!
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:37 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:

It's decent, definitely not worth the $27 price tag, since it's essentially a glorified accessory with nothing to make up for the price tag. But while that's mainly due to the design itself, he should be at least 2x larger to match the films size.

You can say that again about the size. In the film Rodan was trying to bite Mothra's head. As a figure, Mothra's entire body is the size of Rodan's head!

Exactly, remember when Mothra flew down from the sky before attacking Ghidorah? She looked massive! (Or at least bigger than Godzilla's head)

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:43 pm

I have Mothra and unfortunately the wings on mine are kinda loose. I pretty much leave her in one pose so it's not a total dealbreaker but you might be gambling on a figure with loose wings.

Retail is $22.99 and she is starting to show up at Target stores. Depending on your state you can probably get her for under $25 w/ tax and compared to the Jakks which can only be bought in a 2 pack for around $15 (I think) I would say it's a decent purchase.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

ClandestineCanine9
Ronin

Postby ClandestineCanine9 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:45 pm

sculpt is good, paint and articulation are alright. the legs will hold position, but the wing joins on mine are ever-so-slightly loose, they'll hold but will slowwwwwwwly fall over time, or if bumped. the legs and wings are made of a very soft plastic, and came slightly bent out of the box. paint on the wings is good, and the eyes are a striking metallic blue, but the body is a dull brownish-grey.

while not exactly to scale, it looks good next to my MonsterArts Godzilla. I'll probably be skipping the SHMA Mothra due to its weirdly orange body.
ゴジラ!/モスラ!/ギドラ!

godzilla1541
Futurian

Postby godzilla1541 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:22 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:So I already pre-ordered SH Rodan and Mothra, mostly for the lovely Rodan. As for Mothra, though, it's hard to tell with the promotional photos as what's better between the SH and Neca Mothra.

How is Neca Mothra, if anyone has it? Is the paint, sculpt, and articulation good? More importantly, are the joints sturdy? (This is my biggest worry for the Monsterart). I don't usually get multiple figures of a single character design, but I see a $22 dollar Neca Mothra and I'm wondering if it would be a smart idea to play it safe and buy it.

Mine is basically perfect. The sculpting on the body is Fantastic for such a small Figure, and the paint really brings out the details, the wings have a really nice sculpted texture, and the translucent plastic is wonderful, the paint on the wings is fairly good too. The base she comes with is painted Fantastically and the stand holds her High enough so she is out of the way on the shelf and she can easily sneak in between figures. Mine has no lose joints so she holds every pose. I’d say it’s worth it for $25 especially when you take into account how good she looks, and how exceptional the base looks. I’d say she scales well with Godzilla especially since I’ve heard reports that the SHMA is SMALLER.

canofhumdingers
Samurai

Postby canofhumdingers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:26 pm

You know, people have been complaining about mothra’s size (or SHMA ghidorah’s sculpt accuracy) and I’ve been wondering how people can tell? I saw the movie twice and I can’t remember well enough to honestly say whether the figures are accurate or not. And it’s been a challenge to find decent image on google since the films not out on home video. But I did manage to find a couple gifs that I think illustrate that both NECA and SHMA actually got mothra’s size pretty right relative to the other kaiju. I mean, yeah, she might be a little undersized, but her body doesn’t look much bigger than ghidorah’s head. And Rodan is clearly bigger than Mothra and he was pretty small compared to ghidorah.

Spoiler:

Btw, why do the spoiler tags make pics so tiny? I hate that. But I figured these (especially the second one) should be spoiler tagged.
Last edited by canofhumdingers on Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
Futurian

Postby godzilla1541 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:53 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:You know, people have been complaining about mothra’s size (or SHMA ghidorah’s sculpt accuracy) and I’ve been wondering how people can tell? I saw the movie twice and I can’t remember well enough to honestly say whether the figures are accurate or not. And it’s been a challenge to find decent image on google since the films not out on home video. But I did manage to find a couple gifs that I think illustrate that both NECA and SHMA actually got mothra’s size pretty right relative to the other kaiju. I mean, yeah, she might be a little undersized, but her body doesn’t look much bigger than ghidorah’s head. And Rodan is clearly bigger than Mothra and he was pretty small compared to ghidorah.

Spoiler:

Btw, why do the spoiler tags make pics so tiny? I hate that. But I figured these (especially the second one) should be spoiler tagged.

We have an official Picture of Ghidorah before all the fancy lighting was done and it clearly shows how the SHMA sculpt is inaccurate in curtain ways. However for mothras size she is actually really accurate From the shots we see of her. Especially when paired with the Jakks 6” Rodan. Shame we never got to see her and Godzilla side by side, aside form that one scene.

_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy

Postby _JNavs_ » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:55 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:You know, people have been complaining about mothra’s size (or SHMA ghidorah’s sculpt accuracy) and I’ve been wondering how people can tell? I saw the movie twice and I can’t remember well enough to honestly say whether the figures are accurate or not. And it’s been a challenge to find decent image on google since the films not out on home video. But I did manage to find a couple gifs that I think illustrate that both NECA and SHMA actually got mothra’s size pretty right relative to the other kaiju. I mean, yeah, she might be a little undersized, but her body doesn’t look much bigger than ghidorah’s head. And Rodan is clearly bigger than Mothra and he was pretty small compared to ghidorah.

Spoiler:

There's a shot in KOTM that displays Mothra between Godzilla's abdomen, she's about the size of his midsection not counting her wings.

Then there's the other shot of Mothra flying down from the skies looking huuuuge lol.

canofhumdingers
Samurai

Postby canofhumdingers » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Where can I find that picture (google failed me)? It would be nice to see a clear image of Ghidorah without all the lightning and rain and such.

Shoopwoop17
Yojimbo

Postby Shoopwoop17 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 7:12 pm

She is fantastic. Fits the look of the character in the film better than any of the other options I have seen.

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:20 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:

Spoiler:

There's a shot in KOTM that displays Mothra between Godzilla's abdomen, she's about the size of his midsection not counting her wings.

Then there's the other shot of Mothra flying down from the skies looking huuuuge lol.

Neca used the correct scaling for Mothra, the movie made her bigger than her stats just like the Toho films.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:44 pm

So in other words, it’s not correct.

Floroskull
Yojimbo

Postby Floroskull » Wed Jun 26, 2019 9:20 pm

Saw the movie for a sixth time today and I actually feel like the sizing is pretty close. The shot where she climbs onto Godzilla, you can briefly see his head and her body in the same shot and she’s only like slightly larger than his head.

KingKong2005
G-Grasper

Postby KingKong2005 » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:31 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:So in other words, it’s not correct.

It is correct. She's 52 feet tall and in the film it's most likely due to prospective that Mothra and Rodan and even Ghidorah look bigger in some shots and smaller then others. It's stupid :roll:
Image Image Image Image Image Image

Return to “Toho Toys, Models and Collectibles”