NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
Samurai

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Postby canofhumdingers » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:18 am

If you want an inexpensive Shin, I’d look at the Bandai Japan MMS vinyl. Like most modern MMS figures they skimped on paint applications, but what paint there is is well done. And the sculpt is really really good; totally captures his on screen look to a T. You can get it shipped from hlj.com for about the same price (maybe less) as you can pick up the NECA.

As for NECA in general, I’m not much of a fan personally. Their 2014 Godzilla figure is wonderful. Out of the several NECA figures I’ve owned, it’s the only one I’ve kept. But all the rest I’ve found lacking. Even ones that are widely considered really good haven’t really appealed to me. Case in point: their Godzilla ‘54. Easily one of their best figures. But it still has some wonky proportions, a crappy bendy tail that’s too short, and that weird jaw articulation that makes the lower jaw jut out way too far when it’s open. But the thing I disliked the most about it (and most NECA Godzilla’s I’ve held in person) was the way it felt in hand. It’s just heavy and clunky and awkward with weird joints that don’t work particularly well. It feels amateurish in-hand compared to any other figures or toys (Godzilla, Star Wars, Batman) I collect. Even compared to other NECA lines.

I am hopeful for their 2019 monsterverse figures since the 2014 figure was so well done (seriously, it feels like it’s from a different toy line it’s so much nicer than the rest). I’m also interested to reviews of the ‘62 figure since it looks like they’ve listened and tried to make some significant improvements.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:53 am

Disturbingly, my Target has done away with its NECA Godzilla pegs. Hopefully that's just a temporary problem and it gets corrected in time for G62's release. I mean, I could just get it at Books-A-Million or something, but Target's closer...

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
Interpol Agent

Postby Ultra_Henshin_Fan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:33 am

I've seen some nice Neca Shins, but yes it's inconsistent.

I ended up painting purple on my Atomic Shin and it looks a lot better. (somehow they forgot to paint the entire inside of the mouth. It was just black. Which is pretty crazy.)

I will say the red and black on the my Atomic Shin out of the package is fantastic, but the purple was lacking. It was mostly just white backplates and tail, with an unpainted mouth.

____

I've actually been having bad luck with Neca lately. I bought the 1985 one and the right leg snapped off it when I moved it. The entire ball joint just sheared off.

And I bought the Green glow in the dark one today and it's missing the ball on the end of the tail so I can't connect the tail (I'm returning that one and hoping the replacement isn't missing the ball-tail connection.)

So my last three Neca Godzillas have all had issues.

Sort of a bummer. I just need the Green Glow in the Dark one to have them all. I love Neca Godzillas but man,..sometimes they definitely disappoint.

..then again I've had some issues with a couple of my SHM ones too so,..I guess it's just the luck of the draw when it comes to mass produced Made in China toys. :roll:
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:38 am, edited 4 times in total.

Poe Ghostal
Interpol Agent

Postby Poe Ghostal » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:30 pm

NECA Godzilla '62 hits February 19th, just after Toy Fair:

http://necaonline.com/events/2019-02/
Poe Ghostal's Points of Articulation - Toy news, reviews, & commentary

miguelnuva
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby miguelnuva » Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 pm

ApexOversteer wrote:Thanks guys, I appreciate your candor about the Shin. I was really kind of gutted when I saw it, I had wanted it to be good. I'd really like to have a Shin in my collection, I adore the design and the film. The Neca would have filled the bill nicely.

I like the NECA shin but my grip is I bought 2 to do the two tail mod. I say if you want a figure of him in the 6 inch scale the NECA will.do then deed.
Last edited by miguelnuva on Fri Jan 18, 2019 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The one thing I want to see in life,TOHO buy Gamera.

Shadow Area 1-0

Hellblaze
G-Grasper

Postby Hellblaze » Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:01 pm

Poe Ghostal wrote:NECA Godzilla '62 hits February 19th, just after Toy Fair:

I sure do hope that's true I'm keeping my eyes peeled on Amazon and Ebay at their NECA store. Once they're in stock I'm swiping one. :D

godzilla1541
Futurian

Postby godzilla1541 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:02 pm

Hellblaze wrote:
Poe Ghostal wrote:NECA Godzilla '62 hits February 19th, just after Toy Fair:

I sure do hope that's true I'm keeping my eyes peeled on Amazon and Ebay at their NECA store. Once they're in stock I'm swiping one. :D

Same here. My original Shin Godzilla arrived before most others got it and before it hit stores. So I’m ordering 62 on amazon when it goes up. Don’t mind paying a little extra especially when this figure looks as good as it does.

ApexOversteer
Yin-Yang Master

Postby ApexOversteer » Fri Jan 18, 2019 9:34 pm

canofhumdingers wrote:If you want an inexpensive Shin, I’d look at the Bandai Japan MMS vinyl. Like most modern MMS figures they skimped on paint applications, but what paint there is is well done. And the sculpt is really really good; totally captures his on screen look to a T. You can get it shipped from hlj.com for about the same price (maybe less) as you can pick up the NECA.

As for NECA in general, I’m not much of a fan personally. Their 2014 Godzilla figure is wonderful. Out of the several NECA figures I’ve owned, it’s the only one I’ve kept. But all the rest I’ve found lacking. Even ones that are widely considered really good haven’t really appealed to me. Case in point: their Godzilla ‘54. Easily one of their best figures. But it still has some wonky proportions, a crappy bendy tail that’s too short, and that weird jaw articulation that makes the lower jaw jut out way too far when it’s open. But the thing I disliked the most about it (and most NECA Godzilla’s I’ve held in person) was the way it felt in hand. It’s just heavy and clunky and awkward with weird joints that don’t work particularly well. It feels amateurish in-hand compared to any other figures or toys (Godzilla, Star Wars, Batman) I collect. Even compared to other NECA lines.

I am hopeful for their 2019 monsterverse figures since the 2014 figure was so well done (seriously, it feels like it’s from a different toy line it’s so much nicer than the rest). I’m also interested to reviews of the ‘62 figure since it looks like they’ve listened and tried to make some significant improvements.

Yeah, the Bandai Japan vinyl will probably get added to my next Hobby Search order...

... what I really want is a Diamond Reissue of the X-Plus Gigantic Shin... I want one, but I won't pay the stupid aftermarket prices...

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Keizer

Postby Tyrant_Lizard_King » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:02 pm

Good luck on that. :lol:
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

MegaEvilSaurus666
Interpol Agent

Postby MegaEvilSaurus666 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:14 am

I want to like their Shin Godzilla, but the tail articulation, inconsistent paint, blotches on the tail, and minor proportion issues push me away from it. The Movie Monster Series Shin Godzilla turned out quite nice, and managed to give me a better appreciation for the design. Now, I'm looking for a fully painted figure of him. S.H. MonsterArts failed horribly, and had a price just out of reach for me. I was debating whether or not to purchase the NECA figure, but I can't seem to convince myself to.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:46 am

https://twitter.com/neca_toys/status/10 ... 72450?s=21

So help me god...

I do NOT want to go for SHMA here.

DirektorSplennic
Yin-Yang Master

Postby DirektorSplennic » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:09 am

UltramanGoji wrote:https://twitter.com/neca_toys/status/1086638157876072450?s=21

So help me god...

Randy's got to be throwing a curve ball right?

Right?
Shin Gabara wrote:That's . . . quite the, uh-hum, specialty item.

#Ghidildo

SaiyanRider54
Interpol Agent

Postby SaiyanRider54 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 am

Didn’t they literally say they were doing every monster from KOTM? Or am I wrong? I’m remembering an interview from SDCC where they implied that. What changed?

goji89
Keizer

Postby goji89 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:16 am

Hahahaha.........NECA just being NECA.

godzilla1541
Futurian

Postby godzilla1541 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:32 am

Randy is probably saying this because nothing has been officially Confirmed for them yet. I bet it’s gonna be a suprize reveal after Godzilla and Mothra. Doubt they would skip on Rodan and Ghidorah. Especially Ghidorah since that would sell extremely well. Randy is probably just throwing us a curve ball to subvert our expectations
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:40 am

The way Randy worded it seems like they really dont have any plans for a Ghidorah or Rodan, or at least anything presentable for Toy Fair. I would be prepared for a very underwhelming (in terms of Godzilla) showing from NECA.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

Major sssspielberg!
Samurai

Postby Major sssspielberg! » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:54 am

I have the Monsterarts Ghidorah poster version, and would rather drop 80 on a NECA MonsterVerse Ghidorah than near 200 on a Monsterarts one. Def going NECA for Godzy and Mothra also. Gonna have to see Rodan before I make up my mind there though. At a toss up about KingGoji also. I want more NECA cuz I kinda have too many Monsterarts but I also love KingGoji and its dope that NECA seems to be doing better. Idk!
PitchBlackProgress wrote:Minya’s got class, dude one-shot Ghidorah and got all that MonsterLand p****y afterwards.

:xilien: :xilien: :xilien: Join me in.... Escape! :xilien: :xilien: :xilien:

godzilla1541
Futurian

Postby godzilla1541 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:58 am

2004Zilla wrote:The way Randy worded it seems like they really dont have any plans for a Ghidorah or Rodan, or at least anything presentable for Toy Fair. I would be prepared for a very underwhelming (in terms of Godzilla) showing from NECA.

Only Godzilla and Mothra are probably gonna be at Toy fair. Ghidorah and Rodan probably aren’t done and will probably be revealed at a later date. Also they probably can’t say anything on them because of restrictions

gridiron_kaiju
Samurai

Postby gridiron_kaiju » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:20 am

UltramanGoji wrote:https://twitter.com/neca_toys/status/1086638157876072450?s=21

So help me god...

That’s so bizzare and I don’t understand. Why just ignore the question rather than put that out?

I dream of a day when it’s no longer frustrating to collect Godzilla stuff here in the States

Havoks
Samurai

Postby Havoks » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:22 am

Sounds like Randy’s normal Tomfoolery. He likes playing word tricks. He did say in his tweet back in the summer they will be doing “all of them” so my guess is what he means by officially, he’s talking about the official statement by Neca like they did with Godzilla and Mothra. If they don’t do Rodan and King Ghidorah, then either Randy is a liar or Toho / Warner said not to do those, simple as that.
Kuddly Kaijus!!!!: A kaiju plush toy kickstarter!!!!https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27918

Return to “Toho Toys, Models and Collectibles”