NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Maritonic »

DirektorSplennic wrote::mrgreen:
Maritonic wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:Has NECA confirmed or alluded to any upcoming classic Godzilla incarnations besides 1962?
If you don't count the 1954 Poster Version, then not specifically no. Not that I remember, at least.
Hmm. I wouldn't mind a 1964.

Didn't NECA also get the rights to other monsters, or is that me making things up? I haven't been quite so up to date on NECA and Toho's relationship.
There was a huge interview done at Comic-Con and, if memory serves me correctly, yeah they've said we're getting much more soon, including the entire Godzilla: King of the Monsters roster.

Added in 20 minutes 2 seconds:
Here are some bulletpoints from that interview, by the way:
Spoiler:
-There are plans for additions to their video game line, as NES Godzilla did really well. Randy would "love to do 'em all" from the games (Super Godzilla being brought up earlier by Chris), but movie incarnations take priority, especially after the recent lull.

-Warner Bros. was acting as a licensing agent, which slowed things down considerably when it came to getting Toho approval. But now NECA works directly with Toho, so ideas & concepts can be presented much more quickly. Toho has been very happy with everything NECA has made so far, so revisiting rejected ideas like HB Godzilla, Marvel Godzilla, and particularly Ghost Godzilla are possibilities. They "talk constantly".

-The new relationship being established with Target will be treated similarly to how NECA worked with Toys "R" Us, so collectors have some easy way to access their products.

-NECA checks out what figures that've been done by other companies or featured in other toy lines (Bandai, Figuarts) to get an idea of what to create - and to even get an idea of what things that might not have been touched that could be done. But they also do check on sales for figures. However, if a monster can be easily re-used or re-tooled in some way (atomic blast variants, for example), those end up higher on the priority list, as those allow NECA to keep their prices for figures down.

-Atomic Blast Shin Godzilla has been sitting on the backburner for a year and a half - originally, Shin was Japan-only, but now that NECA works directly with Toho, that's no longer an issue.

-Atomic Shin expected to hit retail late September/early October.

-Poster Godzilla 1954 expected to hit retail "holiday/Christmas".

-Godzilla 1962 expected to hit retail "right at the beginning of the year [2019]".

-Due to the license and previous deal with Bandai with mass market, NECA could only make Godzilla figures, but that is no longer the case.

-They have at least 2 dedicated sculptors working exclusively on Godzilla content.

-For 2019 Godzilla: King of the Monsters, they're working on making figures for everything that appears in the movie. As some might remember, originally NECA denied doing figures for the movie, but "the patience has paid off"! They were able to work things out.

-Randy would love to do 24" versions of Godzilla 1954 and even NES Godzilla.

-NECA has an established scale for their figures, which may result in some bigger boxes & higher price points for some monsters.

-They will NOT be reusing their Godzilla 2014 sculpt for Godzilla 2019 - the CG "has evolved", so it will be "100% new tooling, more articulation, better engineering".

-Randy feels they relied "too much" on the 3D file for G2014, but what they're doing with G2019, they'll be handling it differently, which will hopefully result in higher detail (sculptor who worked on G1962 & Shin will also be working on G2019).

-Randy is aware of the demand for Showa figures - they "will definitely do some of that". But they also try to think outside the box, like in other lines how they occasionally do figures from video games, comics, etc., so the Godzilla line will be treated similarly. "I hope we can hit on them all, there are fans for all of them, [even] Godzilla 1998."

-The whole Tamashii and NECA releasing similar figures at the same time is totally coincidental. Even Randy looked pretty bewildered :lol:

-As there aren't 3D files for the "classic" Godzilla figures, NECA picks up DVDs and Blu-rays, getting screengrabs, looking at model kits, vinyls, to try and see how they can design their versions.

-Packaging has been using a "style guide" for the last few releases that had been developed by/on behalf of Toho with Bandai, but Randy hopes to make "individualized or personalized looks for each film" for each release. With packaging, they want something "more interesting" than what has been used with past releases. There could also be additional accessories like beam effects.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Oh wow! I'm really hyped now!

(Thank you so much for posting the highlights of the interview btw :D )

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Oh wow! I'm really hyped now!

Lazy! :)

It was pretty cool how much info Randy gave in that interview. It'd be cool to do one once a year I think.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Chris55 wrote:

It was pretty cool how much info Randy gave in that interview. It'd be cool to do one once a year I think.
Who's lazy? :eh:

I would love to see an interview of this depth, with THIS much news, from these guys every year.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Chris55 wrote:

I ain't lazy, I'm just... er... okay maybe i'm lazy :huge:

I think once a year is too little. I want more Godzilla and Friends/Enemies NOW! :destoroyah: :gigan: :mechagodzilla:
EDIT Oh my god you're talking about an interview once a year, not figures. I'm a dumbass
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris55

Post by Chris55 »

Maritonic wrote:
Chris55 wrote:

Who's lazy? :eh:

I would love to see an interview of this depth, with THIS much news, from these guys every year.
I'm playing :)

A lot of the questions were built up over time and to sort of dispel myths/rumors. Next year should be fun with all the G19 stuff.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

A yearly "fireside chat" with NECA or, hell, any other companies would be awesome.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Alright, this idea idea sounds a little crazy, but hear me out.

*violently slaps roof of car*

NECA Biollante

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Alright, this idea idea sounds a little crazy, but hear me out.

NECA Biollante
"This company can fit so many good figures"

I would actually love to see that!!!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Alright, this idea idea sounds a little crazy, but hear me out.

NECA Biollante
More like

“This figure can fit so many bendy wires”
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

PitchBlackProgress wrote:

NECA Biollante
More like

Oh shit, I forgot about the bendy wires.

Please NECA don't make Biollante (yet)

Added in 8 minutes 39 seconds:
I literally just made the meme, how do I post an image?

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Ok no Biollante but hear me out on this one guys.

(Violently slams arm against the roof a the same Car)
Neca Frozen Shin Godzilla.

I’ll see my self out. (I still want a shin form 2 and 3 set tho)

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I have created the biollante meme and want to share it with ya'll. How do I do that?

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

DirektorSplennic wrote:

NECA Biollante
More like

Oh poop, I forgot about the bendy wires.

Please NECA don't make Biollante (yet)

Added in 8 minutes 39 seconds:
I literally just made the meme, how do I post an image?
orochi says hi
your source of self destruction

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I have created the biollante meme and want to share it with ya'll. How do I do that?
You created the meme? More like I did.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

DirektorSplennic wrote:I have created the biollante meme and want to share it with ya'll. How do I do that?
You created the meme? More like I did.
I meant I made the picture. I apologize.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godzilla1541 wrote:Ok no Biollante but hear me out on this one guys.

(Violently slams arm against the roof a the same Car)
Neca Frozen Shin Godzilla.

I’ll see my self out. (I still want a shin form 2 and 3 set tho)
(Slams both arms on the roof of the same car)

How about a Heisei King Ghidorah? Bendy wire neck pieces and tails........

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

*breaks every bone in arm while slamming car*

NECA Giant Octopus

All bendy wires

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Don't forget Kumonga, the eight bendy wired freak!
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

darthzilla99 wrote:Don't forget Kumonga, the eight bendy wired freak!
I would KILL for a Kumonga figure. K I L L.