NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Bardo117
Yojimbo

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Bardo117 »

goji89 wrote:All you people whining about not finding the G89 figure.....

Why? You got the REAL Goji89 here....and I can come to your house just pay for shipping.

Uh-Huh, yeah. [YouTube]https://youtu.be/rxuodY-c0yU[/YouTube]
Last edited by Bardo117 on Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDude95
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiDude95 »

Deep discount just sent me the cancellation notice for 2003. Gotta find one ASAP.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

G89's tail looks a little too thick through the middle (maybe even a tad too long).
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

I'm now a proud owner of a 2003 Hyper Maser Blast figure and it's a beauty. Figuring that I'd repaint that extremely yellow jaw bottom, I also picked up some paints at Michael's. But... the jaw isn't so bad when the mouth is open to a roar, barely revealing all that yellow. And I can only see a G in a roaring mood when being hit by a maser blast while charging up an atomic counterblast.

On a side note, I try to keep my shopping trips as safe, brief, and infrequent as possible during the pandemic. It was so much easier to just order the figure through the Target site and pick it up at a local store for free. The only thing I had to touch was the shopping bag with my order that they handed to me. In and out, really fast.
Last edited by Doc Phibes on Sun Sep 13, 2020 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:G89's tail looks a little too thick through the middle (maybe even a tad too long).
He's a beautiful Chonky Boi

!!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Just got my KingGoji in the mail today, and I have to say: I’m VERY impressed with this guy. I’ve always loved this design and suit, and the Neca figure has always been alluring to me ever since it first released. I’m glad that I finally pulled the trigger on this figure (first Showa figure as well, crazily enough. I’m horrible).

There’s a surprisingly nice heft and weight to the thing, and I really, really appreciate the matte finish on the paint that Neca has given it; it really makes the sculpt feel nice to the touch. Mine is pretty bloody stiff right now, but it’ll loosen up some once I can mess around with it more later. All in all, first impressions, I dig it A LOT. Neca definitely went all out with these last few figures, and it’s a crying shame they won’t be making any more.

I’ll seriously have to see about getting a KiryuGoji pretty soon.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

If I have to gripe about the Poster Version Mothra, the little screws or whatever they are in the fronts of the wing joints. Those are unpainted metal, and brightly reflect light. They're like a second pair of glowing, weirdly positioned eyes if you're looking at the figure from the right angle. Kind of distracting. Easy to fix, though, I guess.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

Yes, that's a little distracting.

Another thing that bothers me on this figure (on both Mothra figures obviously, but it's worse on the poster version) is the lack of ball joints for the wings, so you can't put the wings on a frontal position AND upward. So you can't replicate the.... poster.
Yup, that's dumb.

Kinda like them, though!

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

I found a BioGoji! But it’s not the one I wanted... but I bought it anyways. Got the repaint. I’ll just buy the other one online.
Last edited by KingKaiju on Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

Godzilla165 wrote: Neca definitely went all out with these last few figures, and it’s a crying shame they won’t be making any more.
totally agree. It's like they finally hit their stride and the rug got yanked from under them.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

What is the deal? There seems to be conflicting reports from Neca on the status of the line. Is it dead for good or just on indefinite hiatus? I've heard both.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Thu Sep 17, 2020 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:What is the deal? There seems to be conflicting reports from Neca on the status of the line. Is it dead for good or just on indefinite hiatus? I've heard both.
The line is over because of Playmates taking GVK.

What's not exactly clear is if they're going to pursue getting it back after Playmates is done.

It's unclear because we have no idea how long Playmates has a license for (Mattel got the JW license for Fallen Kingdom and now has held it so long with non film content they're doing Camp Cretaceous and Dominion) but so far I'd say it's 80% not renewing it, 20% taking it back.

And that's an extra 10 with my foolish hope....

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

If it's anything like the previous licenses, it'll be held for 1-2 years and then go back to Toho, hopefully with the ability to license it out to companies like NECA again.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If Playmated has the Godzilla vs Kong master license, Neca should be back in play by 2023 at the latest. If the have the Godzilla license in general it could be much longer.

Movie toy license is different from franchise as a whole.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Checked one of the local Targets. No standard G89s or G03s, but multiples of both repaints, neither of which interest me. They're colorful, but I don't have any use for them. There were a few standard GMKs, and I'm glad I saw those up close. I wanted one, but now I'll pass. They're not painted well at all, with hideous pink paint slop on the jaws and ugly, bland spines. The sculpt is pretty lacking, too, next to the newer figures.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Fri Sep 18, 2020 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lecontinentperdu
Monsterland Worker

Post by Lecontinentperdu »

I agree about the pink lower jaw, that's weird (but not that noticeable). I disagree about the spines (that white stands out, and i like that) and the sculpt (fairly dynamic, a good choice). But, hey, to each his own :)

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

GojiDude95 wrote:Deep discount just sent me the cancellation notice for 2003. Gotta find one ASAP.
Very frustrating site.
Why do they even bother with the “special orders”
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

Just got back from my local Target. In the NECA section(which was rather messy) I found 1 '62, 1 '64, 2 poster '56, 1 burning '19, 4 reissue '14, that poor clamshell burning '95, and two Bile '89s.

Was heading out of electronics when I noticed they put a bunch of the Maser '03s(5) and Bile '89s(2) on the bottom shelf of an endcap in the toy aisles. So keep your eyes out guys, they may not be where you'd expect them to be.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Yeah, most of the targets I’ve been to have them scattered in multiple places (usually some in the electronics/Funko, some in or near the toy aisles). Haven’t seen the regular ‘89 or ‘03 in a while (both seemed to see through within 2 weeks or less) but there’s been plenty of the bile and maser repaints to go around.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just pulled the trigger on the '89 Godzilla. About $36 shipped from BBTS, so not too bad. Would've preferred to wait for the next check, but... I don't get the feeling these things will be sticking around for long. Not at reasonable prices, anyway. Amazon is already asking $38 before tax or anything. Biogoji is squarely in my top five favorite G-suits, and this figure does it a fair amount of justice, so I'm not missing it.