NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mechagigan
Futurian

Re: The NECA Godzilla 2nd Edition

Post by Mechagigan »

Yeah, I don't really like that custom either... I mean, it could be worse, but it definitely isn't very accurate.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:Why doesn't NECA just make the first ever 6 inch figure of G89/91? I mean, the could just take the arms, legs, and lower torso of 94, change up the head, upper body, neck and head slightly, and rearrange the spines and they could have it. And it shouldn't take much approval from Toho, seeing how that it is a Heisei suit, and Toho just absolutely loves that era for some reason.
My guess would be that 89/91 (which is a figure I'd buy in a heartbeat) would be low priority because it's sufficiently similar to the '94 design that most casual collectors would consider it redundant to have both.
Doesn't matter, NECA loves retools/repaints and they did release G95.
Uh, I think it does matter. The most significantdifference between the 89 and 94 suits is the arrangement of the back plates.

Neca does repaints and retools, yes, but a truly spot on 89 godzilla would be a big effort for very little difference.

I dunno, maybe it's because I dont understand everyone's insane fascination with that suit, but it doesnt seem like it'd be justifiable.
91 suit has more menacing eyes and different colored eyes, the torsos is more muscular than the 94 and the suit is built more muscular compared to the more fat looking G94, also the neck is longer.
Kaijugriffey wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
eabaker wrote:The fact that Marvel no longer has the rights to use Godzilla does no in any way mean that Toho now has the rights to that design, though. Trying to do a Marvel Godzilla figure would definitely mean negotiating rights with both companies.
The rights reverted to Toho. Knowing how Toho writes the majority of their contracts doesn't it make more sense they control the Marvel Godzilla? This is the same company who controls the 98 Godzilla design, the Mutos and the Trilobites despite not creating them.

If Toho doesn't own the rights to the Marvel Godzilla look then Marvel should use their parent Disney's money and try to re introduce Marvel Godzilla as an entirely new character and capitalize on the dinosaur monster boom that is about to happen.
The rights to the character, name and backstory of Godzilla reverted to Toho. The comic character design and other designs created within the book all remained Marvels. The actual giant monster character continued to show up every now and again, just without ever using the G word although they made a few design and color tweaks to further differentiate him from Toho's character. I think marvel finall killed the character off at one point. The SHIELD Behemoth, Red Ronin and some of the human characters still show up periodically.
That might be true but if it is Marvel should have been able to reboot the character with a different backstory and different name and continued to use it and if Toho tried to sue Disney would most likely beat them.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

Mechagigan wrote:Yeah, I don't really like that custom either... I mean, it could be worse, but it definitely isn't very accurate.
I like it because its probably close to what NECA would actually come out with for a 89/91 figure. Though looking at the 1954 figure has me thinking NECA will only get better... If, you know, they ever come out with anymore new figures.
^This post in sexually offensive.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

To add onto the 91 discussion that's currently going on, I honestly don't know why ANY company hasn't made more BioGoji figures. Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are the closed mouth Bandai one, X-plus, and the 7 inch bootleg Toho Eiga one that I got.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

KingKaiju wrote:nd the 7 inch bootleg Toho Eiga one that I got.
I have that one too and it's a recast of the 8" Kaiyodo kit sculpted by Sakai. Kaiyodo also released a '91 from Sakai in the 8" scale that pretty much looks like '89.

As for not being enough differences between '89 and '94, there are plenty, '94 is like a subpar version of '89 with different spines, the whole body isn't as nice, the head is different. On top of that, NECA's '94 is close enough to that suit, but if their '89 were more along the level of '54's accuracy, there'd be plenty distinct difference between the figures.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GFAN198423 wrote:As for not being enough differences between '89 and '94, there are plenty, '94 is like a subpar version of '89 with different spines, the whole body isn't as nice, the head is different.
Those are all differences that a hard-core Godzilla fan would be aware of (I much prefer the '89 suit myself, and would not hesitate to buy it even though I've already bought the '94, so I'm certainly aware of the differences), but a more casual fan looking at the toy on the shelf wouldn't be that likely to think, "Boy, that sure is different from the Godzilla I bought last year! This'll add variety to my collection!"

And, yeah, I also have that 7" bootleg. It's one of my favorite pieces.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

KingKaiju wrote:To add onto the 91 discussion that's currently going on, I honestly don't know why ANY company hasn't made more BioGoji figures. Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are the closed mouth Bandai one, X-plus, and the 7 inch bootleg Toho Eiga one that I got.
There was also a 4 inch figure released in a battle pack with a Rose Form Biollante back in 2005 by Bandai (which is actually a really good figure). I just find it irritating that out of all the 6 inch kaiju figures made by all these toy manufacturers; Bandai Japan, Bandai USA, Tamashii Nations, Y-MSF, NECA, and none of them have thought to put out the one Godzilla suit that doesn't have a 6 inch figure. The only two that came close were Tamashii Nations and Y-MSF, seeing how that they have actual protoypes of these figures, but for some reason, both thought it would be best for them to collect dust and never see the light of day, and Bandai has released the suit in multiple lines, but just dances around the 6 inch line.

I just don't really get why they're so afraid of this suit. It's Heisei, which seems to be the main business model for Toho at the moment, looks meaner, more ferocious, and overall better than any of the later Heisei suits, and is a fan favorite design, but nah, let's just keep shoving every other suit down people's throats instead.

Sorry about the rant, just irritated by all of this.

Back on topic, I do wonder if NECA has more plans for the 24 HTT line.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

GFAN198423 wrote:
I have that one too and it's a recast of the 8" Kaiyodo kit sculpted by Sakai. Kaiyodo also released a '91 from Sakai in the 8" scale that pretty much looks like '89.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7451/900 ... 66a3_z.jpg

As for not being enough differences between '89 and '94, there are plenty, '94 is like a subpar version of '89 with different spines, the whole body isn't as nice, the head is different. On top of that, NECA's '94 is close enough to that suit, but if their '89 were more along the level of '54's accuracy, there'd be plenty distinct difference between the figures.
Awesome!! That's the first ever, non American Godzila toy that I ever got. I also got the 1954 one, but because of how cheap it was made, the jaw fell off and I never found it. Gotta say though, for bootlegs, I'm pretty impressed with the figure.
cmdmstudios wrote:
Back on topic, I do wonder if NECA has more plans for the 24 HTT line.
Man, if they can get a bit more accurate and detailed, I've love to see them do a Godzilla 2000 for that line. I still think their 24" 2014 Godzilla is the best 2014 figure on the market right now.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

KingKaiju wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote:

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7451/900 ... 66a3_z.jpg

Awesome!! That's the first ever, non American Godzila toy that I ever got. I also got the 1954 one, but because of how cheap it was made, the jaw fell off and I never found it. Gotta say though, for bootlegs, I'm pretty impressed with the figure.
Sculpt is great, paint is very basic toy, I got mine for like $20 on eBay, didn't know anything about the history of the piece just saw a cool '89 for cheap. I got mine repainted though.

Original

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6139/598 ... b81a_b.jpg

Repaint

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/835 ... 6abf_b.jpg

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

I'm really curious as to why people think Neca would do the 89 suit justice when their 94 and 84 werent exactly spectacular.

I think 89-91 get's the shaft because the later 90's suits became much more iconic. 92-94 is basically the definitive godzilla design in japan, just going off what I've seen.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

GFAN198423 wrote: Sculpt is great, paint is very basic toy, I got mine for like $20 on eBay, didn't know anything about the history of the piece just saw a cool '89 for cheap. I got mine repainted though.

Original

https://farm7.staticflickr.com/6139/598 ... b81a_b.jpg

Repaint

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8217/835 ... 6abf_b.jpg
Sick!! That repaint makes a world of a difference.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:I'm really curious as to why people think Neca would do the 89 suit justice when their 94 and 84 werent exactly spectacular.
Because of the '54. '94 and '54 were sculpted by the same artist, '54 already shows much improvement on accuracy from '94, we don't know who did '84 but likely that person will not be involved with Godzilla again, and if they are, their sculpts will probably get tied up never getting approved after the '84 mess.

Looking at completely original sculpts, NECA's 2014 and '54 are really good, the '94 is ok and the '84 is mediocre. All things consider, NECA's actually doing better overall than they may seem. I feel like '84 was so bad it's left a taint on people's view of NECA's Godzilla product, but I think the line is coming along very nicely, a bumpy start but it's gaining momentum.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Godzilla 2000 wrote:I'm really curious as to why people think Neca would do the 89 suit justice when their 94 and 84 werent exactly spectacular.

I think 89-91 get's the shaft because the later 90's suits became much more iconic. 92-94 is basically the definitive godzilla design in japan, just going off what I've seen.
Yeah, Toho seems to really push that as the look for the Heisei era.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

eabaker wrote:

Yeah, Toho seems to really push that as the look for the Heisei era.
I don't see why though. '91 is a better suit in pretty much every way. Unless you like more hunched over Godzilla's.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

GFAN198423 wrote:
Because of the '54. '94 and '54 were sculpted by the same artist, '54 already shows much improvement on accuracy from '94, we don't know who did '84 but likely that person will not be involved with Godzilla again, and if they are, their sculpts will probably get tied up never getting approved after the '84 mess.
I don't think '54 coming after '94 necessarily means that their figures are going to keep improving, even if both were from the same guy.

I'm prepared for more less-than-stellar sculpts. Obviously I'm hoping that won't be the case and that '54 starts a trend for more great figures, but it's a distinct possibility to me.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Certainly there's no guarantee, but at least we've some some improvement, if it were all at the same level or started good and was on a downward trend then I'd be worried.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

KingKaiju wrote:To add onto the 91 discussion that's currently going on, I honestly don't know why ANY company hasn't made more BioGoji figures. Off the top of my head, the only ones I can think of are the closed mouth Bandai one, X-plus, and the 7 inch bootleg Toho Eiga one that I got.
I have four or five others, but I know what you mean - the 1992 suit got far more attention than the 1991 suit. All of them are candy/capsule toys. Here are a couple of them:

1993 Big Scale 4" figure (technically a 1992, given the ribbed neck):

1998 High Grade 3" figure:

2006 Battle Box 3.5" figure:

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

G1985 wrote: 2006 Battle Box 3.5" figure:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDgwWDY0MA==/ ... FG/$_1.JPG
I have this and I always really liked this one. Came with a Biollante rose form. If only Bandai made a 6 inch versions of that Godzilla and Biollante figure. D:

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

^Huh, I don't like Club Tokyo has that one listed. It looks like one of the better Heisei G gashapons.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

tymon wrote:^Huh, I don't like Club Tokyo has that one listed. It looks like one of the better Heisei G gashapons.
The 2006 Battle Box figure? Its not a gashapon but a mini vinyl figure you can buy in a set.