NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Godzilla21 »

godzilla1541 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:This is NECA people. It will be delayed
actually this date was moved up from Randy’s interview when he said early 2019. I think with there new relationship with Toho everything will start coming out on time
Hey if it's on time that's great! I just know they have delayed numerous things in the past
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

BBTS said they're shipping the 24" HTT 2014 Godzilla finally. Can't wait to see that bad boy in person.

Going there now to pre-order 62, thanks for posting the link SJM925

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SJM925 wrote:BBTS has G62 up now
That was quick! Don't think there are any Targets around here...
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:This is NECA people. It will be delayed
Meh. I'm just happy he looks good and won't cost me $100.
Seconded. As much as I love SHMA, if more joints and sharper textures means +$70 to the price tag, I'm more than okay with NECA.

King looks amazing - probably better than the actual suit did.

NateZilla10000
Monsterland Worker

Post by NateZilla10000 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Honestly, all this news is fantastic and all, but am I the only one who's still hoping for MUTOs?
Yup. We took a poll here and no one wanted the MUTOs but you

I for one am also still hoping for MUTOs. :lol:

Especially if they could come in a set. Hokmuto's small enough, afterall.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Mutos would be pretty awesome, especially because we only have one or two Muto figures that are all that good - besides the insanely expensive statues and whatnot. Still, I'd personally like to see more classic monsters first, like either incarnation of Gigan, a Ghidorah, or even a Mothra.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

My god. That figure looks so god damn good!!!!!!!! Can’t wait!!! I also just confirmed, last night, that a few targets around my area are carrying Godzilla figures. WOOOOHOOOOOO!!!!

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Who you going for $25 Neca or the $100 SHMA Image ImageImageImage

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

One thing I like about the NECA is that they fixed King's walleyed look, without taking anything away from the accuracy. Like I said in the SHMA thread, this is a case where I think refining the design helps more than it takes away from the supposed accuracy.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

While the SHMA is obviously better looking overall, there's no way I'd pay $100 for it. That line has become majorly overpriced.
The NECA looks GREAT for a $20 figure, and with 30+ advertised points of articulation, I think this is shaping up to be the best figure in the line yet.

*edit* Wait, they advertised 30+ for GMK and I count <25 on mine.... -_- Well, here's hoping.
Last edited by Rody on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Rody wrote:While the SHMA is obviously better looking overall, there's no way I'd pay $100 for it. That line has become majorly overpriced.
The NECA looks GREAT for a $20 figure, and with 30+ advertised points of articulation, I think this is shaping up to be the best figure in the line yet.

*edit* Wait, they advertised 30+ for GMK and I count <25 on mine.... -_- Well, here's hoping.
I’m counting 27 joints on 62 (counting the swivel as a separate joint from the hinge on the arms and legs) tail has like 5 joints from what I can make out. It’s hard to see exactly because everything blends together so well. But I don’t see a section long enough for a wire. This might be the end of wire tails.
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Eh, probably both. It's the one I have the most love for so why not.
I'll probably end up using the SHMA more though, just because articulation tends to be easier to handle with SHMA figures when it comes to animation and what not.
But I will say I think my favorite figure to use for that purpose is the 1954 figure from Neca. The joints move so smoothly and usually stay in the positions I want them to. Hopefully we get something like that on this figure, if not better.

Anyways, looks alright to me. Can't wait to see it again. Hopefully we get some more of those pertty pictures. :huge:
This is the beginning of the end.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

NECA's G'54 is a good example of a great Godzilla figure that's not 100% accurate, but doesn't feel wrong, either - it made sacrifices that ultimately made the toy better, much like the new King. Though I sold my '54 after buying the SHMA, I'll still say he was one of my favorite figures to pose and mess with.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Mechagigan wrote:NECA's G'54 is a good example of a great Godzilla figure that's not 100% accurate, but doesn't feel wrong, either - it made sacrifices that ultimately made the toy better, much like the new King. Though I sold my '54 after buying the SHMA, I'll still say he was one of my favorite figures to pose and mess with.
The NECA G54 was very suit accurate. Sakai's G54 was about 90% suit accurate, and that remaining 10% is the liberty Sakai takes to make it look more like an actual creature, than a suit. I have two of the NECAs, one MIP, one loose, AND the SHMA...

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

They even made 62's tail proportionate

*sniffles*

It's beautiful

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

While they both look great, I think I'm leaning towards NECA because it's cheaper and I remembered the last time we got the same incarnation of a Godzilla from both NECA and Tamashii.

Next time someone says to get Monsterarts because the sculpt looks better, remember. Remember how history can repeat itself.

RIP Evan.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I'm impressed with the tail on the 62 figure. It looks nice and thick and is long. Since it comes out a few month's before the MonsterArt, I'll definitely pick it up in hopes that I don't feel the need to get the MA then.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:It looks nice and thick and is long.
:lol:
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

MandaSaurus wrote:The NECA G54 was very suit accurate. Sakai's G54 was about 90% suit accurate, and that remaining 10% is the liberty Sakai takes to make it look more like an actual creature, than a suit. I have two of the NECAs, one MIP, one loose, AND the SHMA...
I disagree with this a bit, one of Sakai's stand out traits is that he sculpts Godzillas as they appeared, even capturing subtle features caused by being a suit. Look at Sakai's 30cm '84 vs X-Plus' version, X-Plus cleaned up all the suit specific features and ultimately it doesn't look quite right.

Unfortunately, due to the number of joints, SHMA figures are not as good a Sakai piece as vinyl and resin kits he sculpts. If SHMA went for a few less POA, the sculpts would look much more on point, like their necks have so many points that they often look too small or stretched out compared to the suits, 2002 and 1964 are good examples. If they didn't have Sakai's overall accuracy, their figures could look really off. NECA benefits from their approach to POA.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

"It looks nice and thick and long"........ That's what she said. I'm sorry :lol:

Yeah the Neca '62 is definitely the one I'm getting. The fact that it actually releases before the SHMA is great for it.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos