NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Re: The NECA Godzilla 2nd Edition

Post by master_of_monsters »

I'd say the expression for the GMK figure is pretty much the personality of that Godzilla in a nutshell
your source of self destruction

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

Manticore wrote:SHMA - NECA comparison of the GMK Goji.
Shared by Isaac Barnett in the NECA Facebook group.

http://imgur.com/a/ZdcPX
Is it just me or does the NECA GMK look like he became a super mutant from the Fallout series
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

ゴジマン wrote: Is it just me or does the NECA GMK look like he became a super mutant from the Fallout series
Yea, it's just you. Went and caved, ordered this bad buy from NECA's Amazon store. Be nice to have a decently painted figure.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Seeing them side by side the Neca doesn't look that much worse especially considering the price difference between the two.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Seeing them side by side the Neca doesn't look that much worse especially considering the price difference between the two.
You just have to love the hypocrisy though. A 70+ figure is allowed to have flaws but a 20+ one is BOTCHED.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

He does look really nice, now that i took my time to see the details, but if i got it i would probably paint over it to give it a similar color to the MA.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Planning on ordering him straight from the TRU website, for that lovely free shipping. Anyone had any major issues with them?

The biggest nitpick I have is the jaw's joint - should've gone with the more 'inside' type (a la the past figures) instead of the circular pin... just makes an eyesore when opened.

The green is a bit annoying, but at least most lighting seems to hide it.

All things considered, though, he's not very bad; not SHMA, but not as low as some of the past figures in NECA's lineup. If you glued on SHMA's head, you'd have a pretty much perfect figure. As a GMK freak, and one who missed out on SHMA, I'm very excited.
Last edited by Mechagigan on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Yea, the choice for the jaw is a bit odd. Might ask Randy why they did that. I'm just loving that his claws, fins, and mouth are full painted. Really shows how bland the SHMA is.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Castellan Zilla wrote:SHMA is gonna win in the sculpt department, that's a given. When you have Lord Sakai sculpting your figures, a lowly American in a dirty Westerner toy company is never gonna be able to compete. There's still something I just love about the NECA. Can't wait to get one in hand.
Expect that one time Sakai and Japan decided to alter G14's look.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

miguelnuva wrote: Expect that one time Sakai and Japan decided to alter G14's look.
And the altered sculpt was just fine on that one too, my dude. They also slimmed down FW Gigan. It seems Tamashii's problems as of late have been paint application and durability of their products.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

It's arguable that G'14 deserves a pass, anyway... not only did NECA ace their incarnation of the figure, but Japanese creators probably wanted to put their own (honestly, quite minor) spins on the decidedly American design, simply to make it somewhat unique and more 'personal'.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Seeing them side by side the Neca doesn't look that much worse especially considering the price difference between the two.
You just have to love the hypocrisy though. A 70+ figure is allowed to have flaws but a 20+ one is BOTCHED.
I think you're indirectly referring to my "botched" comment (considering no one else used that adjective), but I don't see the hypocrisy. It's always doom and gloom in the SHMA thread and whenever someone disagrees with the majority it's always a shill or an apologist.
I don't think NECA deserves a free pass for offering the figures for $20, considering their Aliens and Predators boast way better detail for the same price. Heck, most of their PR kaijus look better than the Godzillas too, even if the price of those did climb a lot.
But whatever Castellan, I may not be the nicest guy around (considering I've also flung my fair share of mud) but you're not exactly a peach either. Enjoy your figure. :)
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

NECA's price-pass does have some worth to it.

SHMA can afford high quality sculpts and materials thanks for their higher income (whether or not they apply said privileges is a different story), whereas NECA, decidedly, doesn't make the same amounts of money off price tags - hence, lower quality figures.

They've shown they can do more for similar prices, but one could also argue they've had more experience or references for those naturally more 'popular' licenses. And, to trail on that note, those other names are far bigger and more well-known than Godzilla is, here in the States - fans would be much more upset by a mutilated Arnold or ugly Leatherface than a slightly discolored Godzilla.

Thus, it isn't necessary to put extreme focus on these figure's accuracy; not only are they not professionally made, as SHMA's lineup is, but they're not NECA's highest concern. If there's a problem, like the entirety of G'84, or Shin's head, they're willing to fix it; but it's not like they're constantly going for shot-by-shot precision. What they offer is generally very acceptable, and matches the incarnation really well - especially as they've worked more with the character, as evidenced by G'54 and GMK.

This same train of thought could explain why being upset with SHMA over lazy techniques or cheap construction is viable.

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

I got my GMK figure yesterday and I absolutely love him! He is great! A little stiff in some joints (especially the legs), but other than that it's a thing of beauty! My only true gripe with it is that the tail is a bit too small, which seems to be the curse with these NECA figures. That aside though, I still think GMK is one of the best figures NECA has made in this line to date, behind 1954 and 2014. Let's hope they continue to give us more and more. I'm sure a 2000 is the most likely candidate for the next figure. They can then tweak that design a bit and make it into a 2002 with 2003 variant. After that I really hope they go into the 60s and 70s and give us versions like 62, 64, 68, and 74! I'd love for them to eventually do ALL of the Godzilla suits but for now as long as they do these ones I think majority of G-Fans will be happy.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I want one but I think I'll wait until he is available on Prime.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Manticore wrote:
I think you're indirectly referring to my "botched" comment (considering no one else used that adjective), but I don't see the hypocrisy. It's always doom and gloom in the SHMA thread and whenever someone disagrees with the majority it's always a shill or an apologist.
I don't think NECA deserves a free pass for offering the figures for $20, considering their Aliens and Predators boast way better detail for the same price. Heck, most of their PR kaijus look better than the Godzillas too, even if the price of those did climb a lot.
But whatever Castellan, I may not be the nicest guy around (considering I've also flung my fair share of mud) but you're not exactly a peach either. Enjoy your figure. :)
The price point is a valid comparison. I've seen you in the SHMA thread comment how you don't expect to get perfect figures, yet come into this thread stating a figure is botched. It's hypocrisy at it's finest.

NECA has been doing their Aliens and Predators for quite sometime. And for the most part, with some exceptions, those designs stay very similar across different characters and incarnations. That's not the same story with NECA and Godzilla. They are new to the franchise and to the character. It's clear they are getting better as they go. As for the Pacific Rim argument? Moot. They had digital files. Just like with Godzilla 2014.

And speaking of free passes, how's that one you have for the SHMA Godzilla 2014? Still valid? I hope so. I'm not here to be nice, cupcake. :angel:

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I mean - when $4-5 figures have better paint apps then Tamashii's MonsterArts figures that's saying a few things.

I love NECA and I want to love them more although that doesn't mean I don't ride them on mistakes/fuck ups just as much as I do Tamashii. The difference is, NECA's hurts my wallet a smidge while MA's leaves a hole that takes a month to fill.

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

Anyone think it's possible that there can be a production change down the line where the GMK figure gets a blue wash instead of green lol
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:Anyone think it's possible that there can be a production change down the line where the GMK figure gets a blue wash instead of green lol
I'd honestly like blue better than green... at least it'd be closer to his actual color.

I will admit, though, green brings out the sculpt really nicely.

Manticore
Gotengo Officer

Post by Manticore »

SpaceG92 wrote:I mean - when $4-5 figures have better paint apps then Tamashii's MonsterArts figures that's saying a few things.

I love NECA and I want to love them more although that doesn't mean I don't ride them on mistakes/skreeonk ups just as much as I do Tamashii. The difference is, NECA's hurts my wallet a smidge while MA's leaves a hole that takes a month to fill.
Well, that's the thing. If I lived in America I'd probably be gentler towards Neca, but their products arrive at double or triple the price in Latin America. So I pay MonsterArts prices for each of them. [That'd make you think I pay X-Plus prices for my SHMA, but curiously enough their MSRP isn't that altered, at least in the place where I mostly buy them, now that Amazon won't ship overseas. (There are exceptions such as King Ghidorah, and that's the reason I don't have it). NECA won't ship overseas either so I'm stuck with unfair prices].
And when you get one figure per year, I think you kind of have the right of having great expectations. I really feel that Neca's work in the Godzilla line is hit-and-miss, with some truly awesome ones (Like the 24'' G14) and others that are really subpar. If people think my views are ridiculous or hypocritical, there's not much I can do. Feel free to do so. But I kind of feel the same when everyone goes fucking boo-hooing over tiny details in the SHMA ones.

To each their own I guess.
Last edited by Manticore on Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Manticore wrote: Also, I pretty much agree with the poll results. Sorry, I'm not that much of a fan of the campy, absurd Showa era.
Then you're not a TRRRRrrrRrrUUUUuuUUuuUUuueEEeeEEeeEeeE FFFFFFFAAAAAAaAaAaAaaaaAAaanNnnnnnNNnnNnnNnnNnNN!