NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by canofhumdingers »

Godzilla21 wrote:
canofhumdingers wrote: Neca’s often feel clunky and cheap in hand, Monsterarts generally feel like the high quality collectors items they are meant to be.
Do you own the NECA 62?
Nope and I don’t plan on it. I’ve seen it in person multiple times and I just don’t care for it. If I were to get an articulated 6 inch ‘62, I would get the SHMA without question. But there’s plenty of other items I’m more interested in at the moment (including NECA’s ‘64 and burning ‘19) so any ‘62 isn’t really a priority right now.

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

I have issues with both lines. That's why I moved on from both of them for the most part. I used to LOVE Sh Monsterarts with a passion. They couldn't do any wrong in my eyes for a long time, but they just kept burning me with issues and issues. The figures sculpts are amazing, but paint issues just pushed me away. I think what finally did it for me was the Gamera 1999. I will admit I have preordered their Burning 2019 to try and get back into them (Since X-Plus hasn't made one yet). As for Neca, I like what they do sometimes. Early releases had a lot of issues, and it was sad to see considering how well done their other lines are. I buy Neca figures, just not the Godzillas for the most part. The only time I've bought Neca figures was when there wasn't an Sh Monsterarts version. They are well done figures for the price point. I'm just looking for something a little bit more, but at least when they have qc issues, you didn't pay $100 for them. For example, I got to see 5 Burning 2019 of theirs in person at Target on Thursday, and I was admittedly not impressed with the paint apps. Each one varied on the dorsal plate spines quite a bit. Just stuff like that keeps me away from them. I will admit, their 1964 looks tempting. If I see it in person, I will pick it up. So neither line is perfect in my eyes.
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

canofhumdingers wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
canofhumdingers wrote: Neca’s often feel clunky and cheap in hand, Monsterarts generally feel like the high quality collectors items they are meant to be.
Do you own the NECA 62?
Nope and I don’t plan on it. I’ve seen it in person multiple times and I just don’t care for it. If I were to get an articulated 6 inch ‘62, I would get the SHMA without question. But there’s plenty of other items I’m more interested in at the moment (including NECA’s ‘64 and burning ‘19) so any ‘62 isn’t really a priority right now.
Ok. The reason I asked is because you said NECAs feel cheap and clunky in hand and the G62 definitely does not. Very heavy and feels like a SHMA. Not bad for the $23 I paid
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Godzilla21 wrote:
canofhumdingers wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Do you own the NECA 62?
Ok. The reason I asked is because you said NECAs feel cheap and clunky in hand and the G62 definitely does not. Very heavy and feels like a SHMA. Not bad for the $23 I paid
Agree, the '62 feels pretty good and has a nice weight to it along with a beam effect. Feels solid and not cheap. As G21 said not bad for the price.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

I think (assume) when people say that it's because Neca uses that pvc plastic that feels a little softer. SHM uses that hard almost brittle and sharp feeling plastic.

You absolutely could cut yourself on SHM Shins back plates

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah, the Necas I’ve owned generally feel cheap because the quality of the plastic is thick and soft and rubbery and just feels like a cheap material. And I honestly think they are too heavy for what they are. When I owned the 54 his head would flop around because the material was too heavy for the friction the ball joint could provide. “Clunky” is the best word I can think of to describe how they feel in hand. I like the necas I currently have, but none of them compare to the feel of the higher quality plastic and engineering of the SHMAs that I own.

But credit where it’s due, I love the NECA G’14 and ‘19 Rodan. Both of those feel like true quality figures in hand.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

I feel the Neca Rodan feels the cheapest amongst its peers.....brittle to touch or move.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

goji89 wrote:I feel the Neca Rodan feels the cheapest amongst its peers.....brittle to touch or move.
This
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

goji89 wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
canofhumdingers wrote: Nope and I don’t plan on it. I’ve seen it in person multiple times and I just don’t care for it. If I were to get an articulated 6 inch ‘62, I would get the SHMA without question. But there’s plenty of other items I’m more interested in at the moment (including NECA’s ‘64 and burning ‘19) so any ‘62 isn’t really a priority right now.
Agree, the '62 feels pretty good and has a nice weight to it along with a beam effect. Feels solid and not cheap. As G21 said not bad for the price.
Ya its tough to deride that figure as clunky. Especially if you haven't ever touched it. It's their best figure IMO.
SpaceG92 wrote:

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Well, in fairness I can’t say for sure the NECA ‘62 is clunky. But it looks like it shares enough similarities with the ‘54 and is heavy enough in the package to give me pause. But, more importantly, I just don’t love the way it looks. The underbite bugs the heck out of me, the feet just look off, and there’s some other small issues with the sculpt. I agree it’s a great attempt by NECA, and if the SHMA didn’t exist I might be more lenient on its faults. But so is life.

I understand people’s concerns or dissatisfaction with Rodan’s brittleness. To me it just feels like an articulated model kit, which I actually like. So long as the joints don’t disintegrate the way one of my Neca Jaegers did, rodan will continue to be a highlight on my shelf. I think they did a fantastic job with the sculpt and paint and I appreciate the extra wing articulation over the MA. Even the base is really nicely done. Many of my collectibles are delicate, so I’m not bothered by the potential fragility of rodan so long as he looks great, and he does that in spades.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

The 62 is great! The SHMA looked solid, but if the NECA 62 can be mentioned in the same sentence as that, it says enough. I feel the same way about the burning Godziklanfigures. NECA and SHMA are close enough, at that point, I’d rather save $65 and get the NECA.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

https://www.instagram.com/p/B6CgF-EA-d7 ... oo5vd3rzwu Yep. The Reissue 2019 looks 100 times better than the original

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Eyes still look like wonky decals but much better on the teeth there. Way more on par with the SHMA now.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

canofhumdingers wrote:Well, in fairness I can’t say for sure the NECA ‘62 is clunky.
That was kind of my point. You declared NECA as cheap and clunky when the reality is they have made improvements. And I felt it was wrong to pass judgment on them when you don't even own the figures.

I agree that NECA isn't always perfect but the G62 is really solid and I hear the 64 is great too.
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The G62 is still very clunky in a few areas, most notably the jaw joint and the stiff-ass legs. Sculpt is near-perfect, however.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla 62 is a fantastic sculpt but it's like, the definition of clunky.

Those ham thighs and burger knees don't do anything beneficial when posing.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

I got my Burning 2019 V3 from Target Online order. Unfortunately, it had 2 right arms attached visibly attached wrong and cockeyed!! I returned it to my local Target, but they had none in stock for a replacement and no other Targets in NJ had any in stock as they checked to see if other stores had any left. It is no longer available for order on the website that I can see, so I guess I'm another Neca quality control victim and out of luck. Hopefully Neca will restock soon, if at all :(

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

rob559 wrote:I got my Burning 2019 V3 from Target Online order. Unfortunately, it had 2 right arms attached visibly attached wrong and cockeyed!! I returned it to my local Target, but they had none in stock for a replacement and no other Targets in NJ had any in stock as they checked to see if other stores had any left. It is no longer available for order on the website that I can see, so I guess I'm another Neca quality control victim and out of luck. Hopefully Neca will restock soon, if at all :(
My condolences on that. I got mine in a target and out of the best of them, it still has a pretty annoying paint mishap. Hopeing the shma makes up for that for my burning G19 representation.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DrPhilizSick@sHell98
Monarch Researcher

Post by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 »

godzilla1541 wrote:I’d like to add Neca actually fixes QC issues with reissues. 2019 was Just reissued and they fixed the Gums and eyes. Still looks derpy from the front (the prototype did too) but they don’t have eyes that look in completely different directions anymore.
That kind of sucks because I want to buy the reissue for something they should and I know they could of did right the first time.
@Dee_Sniper98 ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一 on Instagram

DrPhilizSick@sHell98
Monarch Researcher

Post by DrPhilizSick@sHell98 »

The pissing contest going on with shma and neca is playground arguing at best. I love, hate and collect both lines, respectively. The whole price thing isn’t really a big deal for me. Unless, it’s a case where both figures aren’t that far off from one another or the higher one doesn’t justify the price (shma rodan and mothra 19”).

I would be happy with shma just making other monsters, while neca tackles doing every version of Godzilla.
@Dee_Sniper98 ▄︻̷̿┻̿═━一 on Instagram