NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by godzilla1541 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GODZILLA2877 wrote:They'll probably release a figure of Godzilla 2002 next since Monster Arts is releasing their figure soon.
That'd be a fuck-awful idea. Be original, NECA. You did it with Godzilla 1985, you can do it now.
Why can’t they make a 2002? That’s one of the suits people want right? At the rate tamashii is doing Godzillas, Neca will never be “original”. And them making a 2002 means I won’t have to pay $82 to get it in articulated form. They probably will never get to do Showa as toho doesn’t seem to like Showa figures unless they are statues . Maybe toho will only let Neca do godzillas if tamashii already has one in the works or has made a figure for that suit. 84 could have been an exception as I’m sure tamashii was already planning there own 54 when Neca made theirs Toho does seem to favor Bandai over Neca.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

godzilla1541 wrote: Why can’t they make a 2002?
Because Tamashii is already making one currently. I don't want there to be two competing Godzilla 2002's on the market at the same time. It makes NECA look like a budget SHMA instead of its own unique line.

I was fine with them doing a Heisei Godzilla. That's cool, every line has one and it's basically the most recognizable Godzilla suit at this point. I was fine with a 54. Like Heisei, every line needs one. Same with Burning Godzilla.

But...two six-inch articulated GMK Godzilla's in late 2016? That's annoying, especially when the product was pretty inferior to its Tamashii counterpart. Yes, it cost more, but the detail was superb and the articulation was miles better than the NECA figure.

Shin was a special case as not only was it a good marketing idea to release one to cash in on the new movie (although it was missed by a few months or so) but the SHMA was purely a Japanese exclusive so NECA's figure gave American fans the chance to own an articulated version of the suit without having to go through the hassle of import shops or the secondhand market.

This is why I'm glad Toho's not letting them do an AnimeGoji. I'd rather there not be two of these guys competing for collector's shelf space at the same time. It breeds Company Wars discussion which is extremely unproductive and hurts the hobby far more than it helps. Granted, I don't know if AnimeGoji is a Japan-exclusive or not(mainly because the SHMA website won't fuckin' load).

Does that mean I NEVER want them to do a KiryuGoji/AnimeGoji? No way. I'm all for it. I just don't want NECA to release them simultaneously with Tamashii.
godzilla1541 wrote:And them making a 2002 means I won’t have to pay $82 to get it in articulated form.
GMK is still available on the aftermarket for a reasonable price more than a year later. I don't think it would be too much of a problem to save for it.
godzilla1541 wrote:They probably will never get to do Showa as toho doesn’t seem to like Showa figures unless they are statues . Maybe toho will only let Neca do godzillas if tamashii already has one in the works or has made a figure for that suit.
I keep seeing this "Toho won't allow them to do Showa" comment and I never see any sources for it. Is there a tweet that mentions this?

And please don't cite the Marvel/HB/Ghost Godzilla tweet. Those three are a completely different ballgame and were certainly never going to be released.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

UltramanGoji wrote:This is why I'm glad Toho's not letting them do an AnimeGoji.
UltramanGoji wrote:I keep seeing this "Toho won't allow them to do Showa" comment and I never see any sources for it. Is there a tweet that mentions this? And please don't cite the Marvel/HB/Ghost Godzilla tweet.
So which is it - does Toho approve NECA's releases or not?
Last edited by G1985 on Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don’t know, that’s the problem.

I went back to try and find the tweet or news that said G17 was off the table, but this initial post is all I found:
Anguirus wrote:Seems like there are rights issues with Goji 2017, maybe that's why Neca can't do a figure.
Where’d this news come from? There’s nothing on NECA’s twitter.

But I did stumble upon this tweet, which says that they are very limited by what they can do:
https://twitter.com/neca_toys/status/906226847796658182

But you don’t know how “limited” that is. From what I recall, the only rejected figures were Anime, Purple Shin, Spitfire G14, Marvel, HB, and Ghost. So for all we know, it could just be limited to film suits only.

It’ll probably be impossible to get a straight answer from NECA because they most likely won’t discuss stuff like this. Oh, and the fact that their Twitter’s been dead since October.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Neca's Facebook is still active, so maybe someone could ask them via there. I don't have a Twitter or Facebook account.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

UltramanGoji wrote:Shin was a special case as not only was it a good marketing idea to release one to cash in on the new movie (although it was missed by a few months or so) but the SHMA was purely a Japanese exclusive so NECA's figure gave American fans the chance to own an articulated version of the suit without having to go through the hassle of import shops or the secondhand market.
UltramanGoji wrote:This is why I'm glad Toho's not letting them do an AnimeGoji.
You do realize AnimeGoji is a Japanese exclusive as well right? NECA could make a figure to go along with the international Netflix release, licensing allowing.

To address your comment of what Toho allows NECA to do, I think it's a case of them not telling NECA what to make, but telling them what NOT to make. We have a pretty reasonable suspicion that they had an atomic Shin prototype done which got rejected by Toho, and it wouldn't have got that far if Toho was telling them which ones to make.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

codycameron09
JXSDF Technician

Post by codycameron09 »

From what I remember the only era the said they weren't currently working on was the 60s. Every other era of Godzilla either got a "always a possibility" or "we'll see" response from Randy. That's why I always thought they'd be working on a 1974 Goji. Then again this was last year when it was said so who knows what the hell they're working on right now.

As for what's next I really hope it's not another repaint or a 2002 Goji. Yeah I know SHMA is over $80 but it's just way too predictable and lame if NECA does it too. They need to still give fans what they want AND be original which is why I'm hoping the next figure is a suit accurate Godzilla 2000. It's a pretty popular design and would be a step in the right direction.

And not gonna lie... I am also hoping they can do Shin-Gojira forms 2 and 3 at some point. :lol:
Last edited by codycameron09 on Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like Neca gets a lot of say in what figures they are allowed to release.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

codycameron09 wrote: And not gonna lie... I am also hoping they can do Shin-Gojira forms 2 and 3 at some point. :lol:
While I'd love it as well, I am pretty sure Kamata would end up being made entirely of rubber like their Baby Otachi.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The news of the SHMA KiryuGoji being Japan-only had me thinking about the earlier discussion about what NECA could and couldn't do.

Is it possible Toho wants Tamashii to release their Godzilla figures exclusively in Japan and for NECA to release theirs in America only? I can't think of any other reason why the KiryuGoji would be barred from being released via BlueFin.

Would certainly lend some credence as to why NECA was releasing the same suit as Tamashii only a few months apart.

Grunkle Sans
Interpol Agent

Post by Grunkle Sans »

UltramanGoji wrote:The news of the SHMA KiryuGoji being Japan-only had me thinking about the earlier discussion about what NECA could and couldn't do.

Is it possible Toho wants Tamashii to release their Godzilla figures exclusively in Japan and for NECA to release theirs in America only? I can't think of any other reason why the KiryuGoji would be barred from being released via BlueFin.

Would certainly lend some credence as to why NECA was releasing the same suit as Tamashii only a few months apart.
I wouldn't doubt it, this line has essentially become the US MonsterArts equivalent.
:gigan:

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

If Bluefin can't bring G2002 to the US for 'legal reasons', then I doubt that NECA can make one either, for the SAME 'legal reasons'... :roll:

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

It’s a licensing issue, not ’muh Japan.’

rob559
GPN Volunteer

Post by rob559 »

Looks like Neca will be re-issuing Burning Godzilla and Classic 1994 Godzilla in 2018. No word on new figures. If you paid alot for these "Out of Production" figures on ebay, well.....
Info from their Facebook page. Their twitter has been dead since end October.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

rob559 wrote:Looks like Neca will be re-issuing Burning Godzilla and Classic 1994 Godzilla in 2018. No word on new figures. If you paid alot for these "Out of Production" figures on ebay, well.....
Info from their Facebook page. Their twitter has been dead since end October.
Pretty happy about the BG reissue. Been looking for it at MSRP for a long time

Added in 53 minutes 2 seconds:
Hey guys randy is back on Twitter!

Added in 3 minutes 29 seconds:
https://twitter.com/neca_toys/status/935970285500723200

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Wow, there's only 6 weeks left. Exciting stuff

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

Am I the only one getting a weird feeling while reading that? Just the way it’s worded.

That aside, it does seem like good news. Anytime I’m December now.
Last edited by BARAGONZILLA on Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This is the beginning of the end.

ゴジマン
G-Force Personnel

Post by ゴジマン »

BARAGONZILLA wrote:Am I the only one getting a weird feeling while reading that? Just the way it’s worded.
Yeah, it's a little strange. Shouldn't he have said we'll instead of will?

Well I'm hoping the new figure is either a figure or 2000 or a Showa era Godzilla. I doubt it would be 2017 or 2002 due to the issues with licensing.
Last edited by ゴジマン on Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes, Hatsune is my Waifu...
goji89 wrote:Shin Goji looks like he has a red apron on. Guess he's still cooking himself extra crispy. :lol: .

MechaSkeleturtle666
Samurai

Post by MechaSkeleturtle666 »

I'm pretty sure the new figure is G-2002. Just a feeling...

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

I guess that would be cool though SHMA is releasing that one.

A 2000 would be really cool.