NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

my big NECA 2014 came in yesterday. Man this guy is huge! 13" from toes to top of his head, and that's being hunched over a bit.

By my measurements he's 13" tall and 29" long.

awesome! Bigger than I was expecting but I'm not complaining at all, and the roar is loud. I had to re-organize things to make room for him.

Very cool, very happy to have him.

with the regular, "little" Neca figure...

face close-up

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Yuck, I never knew the dorsal plates looked so…”toy-like” and rounded instead of sharp like the standard size NECA G14.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

62. Prototype. Looks amazing (faints) Image

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

It kinda looks better than the promo pictures

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Um... how do you figure that? They can get two releases out of every monster Toho has.
From the same suit? Most Godzilla monsters underwent significant renovations if they appeared again; Anguirus 1955 would likely have to be a completely different sculpt from 1968 or 2004, for example - as would Ghidorah 1964/1991, Hedorah 1971/2004, Mothra 1960/1992/2003, etc. They might be able to get a Gigan 1972 & 1973 from the same sculpt, but I don't know.
The thing is, I can't think of many pieces of iconography for other monsters outside their literal film appearances, the way something like Godzilla 1954 has the well-known, distinct 1956 poster image to also work with. Is there stuff out there to use? Probably, but that's why I said NECA might have to really work it out of the figures.
Godzillian wrote: Do a normal Baragon and then a Burrowing Baragon
Okay, I can see your other examples, but I have no idea what you're thinking with this one. Can you help me out?

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

I love how every single time I post a pic of a new Godzilla I've gotten here the very first response is someone saying it doesn't look good.

:roll:

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:I love how every single time I post a pic of a new Godzilla I've gotten here the very first response is someone saying it doesn't look good.

Yeah, it’s almost as if people have different tastes than you. Huh, strange...
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

godzilla1541 wrote:62. Prototype. Looks amazing (faints) []https://orig00.deviantart.net/5012/f/20 ... ckfoxq.jpg[/]
Yes, quite fantastic :) There's something about unpainted prototypes like this that make me appreciate the figure even more, kind of like line art before it's colored in.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

godzilla707
Ronin

Post by godzilla707 »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:I love how every single time I post a pic of a new Godzilla I've gotten here the very first response is someone saying it doesn't look good.

Well I for one think the NECA 62 Godzilla is awesome.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

godzilla707 wrote:

Well I for one think the NECA 62 Godzilla is awesome.
The NECA 62 IS awesome :lol:
But he’s not talking about G62, he’s talking about his 24 inch G14.

Added in 1 minute 23 seconds:
GigaBowserG wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:62. Prototype. Looks amazing (faints) []https://orig00.deviantart.net/5012/f/20 ... ckfoxq.jpg[/]
Yes, quite fantastic :) There's something about unpainted prototypes like this that make me appreciate the figure even more, kind of like line art before it's colored in.
It’d be cool if NECA started producing uncolored variants for customization :P
#slatternking

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

PitchBlackProgress wrote:

I guess I'm more used to people who are happy for other peoples happiness even if they don't like something.

If my friend buys a new guitar I think is ugly I say, "congrats on your new guitar" not "that thing is an ugly piece of crap."

I posted my SHM Shin when I hadn't seen any pics online of the re-issue yet, I thought I was helping the community by getting early pics out. It got crapped on. I posted the new big Neca, it got crapped on. It's fine, people are different.
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Fri Aug 17, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 4 times in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:I posted the new big Neca, it got crapped on.
But it's not new. It's a four year old release.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

UltramanGoji wrote:
Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:I posted the new big Neca, it got crapped on.
But it's not new. It's a four year old release.
Yeah, seriously. The figure was released shortly after the standard sized one was :lol:

Dont know why you’re taking it so personally, I’m not even bashing you for for buying it, or liking it, I was simply stating that I had no clue the dorsal plates were that “toy” like, like those atomic blast and tail-strike gimmick G14 toys, I had always assumed it was a carbon copy of the standard NECA G14, which sported more movie accurate plates :shrug:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

GhidoGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GhidoGoji »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:

I guess I'm more used to people who are happy for other peoples happiness even if they don't like something.

If my friend buys a new guitar I think is ugly I say, "congrats on your new guitar" not "that thing is an ugly piece of crap."

I posted my SHM Shin when I hadn't seen any pics online of the re-issue yet, I thought I was helping the community by getting early pics out. It got crapped on. I posted the new big Neca, it got crapped on. It's fine, people are different.
So you want us to put the thread on hold to compliment you for your toys? You're taking this way too seriously, this is a forum where people give their opinions on things. Criticizing the figure isn't even a slight against you in any way.
MandaSaurus wrote:@Maritonic: No, most people's aren't. But I have an eye for detail that few here can match. I've been collecting longer than most of you have been alive. I'm also nearsighted, which means that I see things up close CRYSTAL-clear, which means I can point out details & differences like the guy who sculpted the item. So, forgive me if there's only a handful of folks in these forums whose opinion I put on a par with MINE...

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

So anyone thinks Neca will do the other Titans in the film?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

miguelnuva wrote:So anyone thinks Neca will do the other Titans in the film?
Maybe, they’re pretty generic and don’t play a big role in the film. I could at least see Bandai doing a Pack of Destruction with them
#slatternking

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

miguelnuva wrote:So anyone thinks Neca will do the other Titans in the film?
I'd say if there's enough demand
your source of self destruction

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Everyone knows the true money making G2 figure would be a
Spoiler:
NECA 24’ inch Giant Mammoth :P
Spoiler:
NECA Giganto Mammoth, or bust!
#slatternking

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Rody wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Um... how do you figure that? They can get two releases out of every monster Toho has.
From the same suit? Most Godzilla monsters underwent significant renovations if they appeared again; Anguirus 1955 would likely have to be a completely different sculpt from 1968 or 2004, for example - as would Ghidorah 1964/1991, Hedorah 1971/2004, Mothra 1960/1992/2003, etc. They might be able to get a Gigan 1972 & 1973 from the same sculpt, but I don't know.
The thing is, I can't think of many pieces of iconography for other monsters outside their literal film appearances, the way something like Godzilla 1954 has the well-known, distinct 1956 poster image to also work with. Is there stuff out there to use? Probably, but that's why I said NECA might have to really work it out of the figures.
Yes from the same suit. For Anguirus 55 they do a regular version and then a black and white variant. For Ghidorah 64 they can have the regular version and then a darker tone as if he were flying through space. Hedorah can have a regular figure and then they can do a blue color for an underwater version. They can also do dirty variants, rainbow color variants, hell, they could do a pink color Gigan for Breast Cancer Awareness for all I care.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I now desire a pink Gigan