NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by UltramanGoji »

I never found GMK in my area (maybe once?). Ones I remember pegwarming were G14 (around the time the movie concluded it's theatrical run) and 85. Shin was a moderate success, I saw him a few times around here. 54 was a little less present than that. Didn't look for '94 or Burning, as neither appealed to me.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

I’ve never seen 85, Burning, videogame and Atomic blast Godzillas in the wild. Every other figure I have seen at my two local TRUs but even then it’s only a couple

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Godzillian wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:
Godzillian wrote: How difficult it is to find stills of a movie online for reference, truly something no human can dare hope to discover
Dude, how dense how are you? I'm talking about Neca needing permission from Toho to use different references. Toho may allow them to use scenes from their blu-rays and DVDs, but Neca might not have permission from Toho to use random internet pics for reference material.

Hypothetical example situation 1: They pause a scene from a GMK dvd at the 50 minuate mark on the dvd and use that as reference. Toho approves.

Hypothetical example situation 2: They find a random internet pic that is the exact same shot on the dvd from my previous situation above but it is taken from the internet this time. Toho says no and sends in lawyers on Neca's doorstep. That is simple business bureaucracy red tape bull crap regulations 101.

Is that simple enough for you? This is all speculation of course.
That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read, do you even know how illogical that sounds?
Who said red tape and bureaucracy was always smart and logical? In both business and government, there are rules and regulations even more dumb out there than what I listed above. Example: Young Justice getting cancelled because it was more popular with women than guys.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

darthzilla99 wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:
Dude, how dense how are you? I'm talking about Neca needing permission from Toho to use different references. Toho may allow them to use scenes from their blu-rays and DVDs, but Neca might not have permission from Toho to use random internet pics for reference material.

Hypothetical example situation 1: They pause a scene from a GMK dvd at the 50 minuate mark on the dvd and use that as reference. Toho approves.

Hypothetical example situation 2: They find a random internet pic that is the exact same shot on the dvd from my previous situation above but it is taken from the internet this time. Toho says no and sends in lawyers on Neca's doorstep. That is simple business bureaucracy red tape bull crap regulations 101.

Is that simple enough for you? This is all speculation of course.
That is literally the dumbest thing I have ever read, do you even know how illogical that sounds?
Who said red tape and bureaucracy was always smart and logical? In both business and government, there are rules and regulations even more dumb out there than what I listed above. Example: Young Justice getting cancelled because it was more popular with women than guys.
That's just butt hurt fans, Young Justice was cancelled cause the toys didn't sell. Lots of shows get funded through toy companies, and since the toys didn't sell, said company wanted the funding pulled. WB didn't want to pay for the show cause action shows are expensive. Teen Titans had a similar situation with a large female fan base yet was around for 5 seasons. No one cares as long as the merch sells
Last edited by Godzillian on Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Demon Lord Gira
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Demon Lord Gira »

Late response, but friendly reminder to everyone that we're all responsible teenagers/adults, so let's post like we are and not devolve into temper tantrums.

You may now carry on with your toy discussions.
Come read my latest Fanfiction: Daily Life at the Cheshire Cafe

GotengoXGodzilla wrote: It could be said that kaiju regeneration is like human dodging, basically.
GotengoXGodzilla wrote:That's not Mothra, that's an ugly goddamn demon!

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

UltramanGoji wrote:I never found GMK in my area (maybe once?). Ones I remember pegwarming were G14 (around the time the movie concluded it's theatrical run) and 85. Shin was a moderate success, I saw him a few times around here. 54 was a little less present than that. Didn't look for '94 or Burning, as neither appealed to me.
I went to the local TRU last night to get a toy for my nieces B'Day and looked all over to see if there were any Godzilla toys. Finally found 3 lonely 1954 Necas hanging in the middle of an aisle, near the Power Rangers.

That was it, just 3 stacked one in front of the other about adult eye level.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I've seen G14, G95,Burning, and 1985 at Toys R Us around the time they were released. Even an aisle dedicated mostly to 94's and Burnings.
I've seen 1954, Shin, 14 and 94 at some Books-A-Millions., and the video game at FYE.

Never seen the GMKs or the big 2014s anywhere though
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

In Australia, I’ve only seen Shins and atomic breath GMKs on store shelves.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Found this while surfing google. Wow!! Just goes to show how good the actual sculpt is. If the paint and finish would just be a little better, that would be insane. This things looks like the real deal.

https://www.figurerealm.com/customfigur ... w&id=91525

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I don't disagree about the underlying sculpt being let down by paint, at some point I intend to repaint my own, but particularly this shot shows, there was extra work done to add textures not there in the original, the spines are smooth and lack detail, much like the early CGI render seen in BTS videos that clearly was NECA's source material and not the final render.

It's an amazing custom but people should not expect simple repainting to achieve this level.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Can’t wait for KiryuGoji! ;)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

"Best one yet"; that can only mean one thing..... it's the Godzillaland chibi kid show design! :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

That is setting a dangerous bar to hit, hope the product lives up to the hype.

Very curious if it’s new or if it’s the new 24” HTT.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Just stumbled across a '54 Godziller at Books-A-Million. This was the first one I've ever seen in person, buried behind a few other random toys on one of their assorted collectible shelves. I just happened to notice the top of the packaging sticking up from behind the other stuff as I was passing by. $21 was pretty danged hard to say no to, so I didn't. It appears to be in good shape; I'll have to confirm that when I get home. I don't really have room for it on my shelves, but that's a non-factor. Gonna be doing a massive collection overhaul and add some new shelves soon.

EDIT: Alrighty, got him opened and ready-ish for display. The tail tip gave me a lot of trouble, but heating it up with a space heater eventually got it soft enough to attach. The leg joints are also a little stiff, but I'm gradually figuring out how to move them; I'm having a little trouble getting both feet to sit flat on the ground as it is.

It's definitely a great figure, though. I love the sculpt, and most of the articulation is adequate. The jaw is perfectly functional and properly attached, which is a rather welcome counterpoint to my NECA LPG. The only QC issue I've noticed thus far is a tiny chip taken out of the outermost claw on his left foot, which is not exactly a big deal. I'm happy.
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Congrats, I like the 54. Actually I've liked all of them so far and have (almost) all of the NECA Godzillas.

The tail for me I find easiest to attach if I plug in a heating pad and turn it on 'Hi',..and fold it it half and I leave the tail tip in there for a while. It gets soft and pops right on pretty easily. It's nice because you don't have to hold or do anything,..you just throw it in the heating pad and give it a few minutes to soften up.

GMK and Shin (imo) are also really good Necas.

2014 is good but his posability I find pretty lacking, he tends to really only have one good pose. But GMK and Shin (and Atomic GMK) all look good and pose really easily.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

GFAN198423 wrote:
That is setting a dangerous bar to hit, hope the product lives up to the hype.

Very curious if it’s new or if it’s the new 24” HTT.
I concur. Randy needs to be careful about tooting his own horn, when it comes to their Godzilla figures. They are hardly the Godzilla 'experts'. Some have been stellar, some have left a LOT to be desired...

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

My prediction, 12 inch HTT, will be KiryuGoji, and the 24 inch HTT will be Godzilla 1954. I do recall Randy saying a while back there was another 24 inch figure in the making.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well, only about 25 days till Toy Fair.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

I always check this thread hoping for cool/new news.

...any day now. hahaha