NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:^Bloody battle damaged 1975 for the win. I would buy that immediately.
Or the one version with electric towers on his chest!
[img
:dizzy: That would be awesome!!!!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:NECA needs to a figure of BattoGoji (Godzilla 1992 from GODZILLA VS. MOTHRA) covered with golden powder/glitter from Mothra's Reflective Scale Powder Attack. I always thought it was cool.
Hate to be the downer, but I think Toho would say no to that until there is a monsterarts one first.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

darthzilla99 wrote:Hate to be the downer, but I think Toho would say no to that until there is a monsterarts one first.
I'm not sure that's true; NECA managed to put out the Atomic GMK variant without an SHMA version existing beforehand.

The only real pattern I can make out with respect to TOHO approvals is that they are okay with incarnations seen in the movies (with the exception of the NES one that was allegedly a struggle to get approved) and atomic variants that Tamashii has not already beat them to (Spitfire 2014 and Shin.) At first I thought that NECA just wasn't able to do any of the SHMA web exclusives, but I think GMK debunks that theory. I really hope that NECA is able to output the earlier Shin forms at some point.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Cybermat47
Interpol Agent

Post by Cybermat47 »

A nearby store is getting the GMK Atomic Blast in a week or so, I'll be picking it up ASAP.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

With Toho trying to sweep their more sillier incarnations under the rug, I wouldn't be surprised if we didn't get a Showa release for awhile, less it be 1964 or 1955, since those were serious films.
Our best bets are 2000, 2002, or 2004 if I had to guess
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Kinggoji1962
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kinggoji1962 »

I don't mind that they are sweeping the showa suits under the rug, they aren't exactly great.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

It WOULD be cool if they could do a Super Godzilla for their video game line, or a 2002 for that matter : D

We don't need any more Showas anyway
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

kaiju115
JXSDF Technician

Post by kaiju115 »

I think we need more Showa Godzilla figures, especially 1962 & 1975, & this is coming from someone who's not even that big a fan of 1962.
SHIN GOJIRA IS AWESOME!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/user/kaiju115

Twitter: https://twitter.com/Kaiju115
Hope Legendary's Godzilla gets more than a Trilogy

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

kaiju115 wrote:I think we need more Showa Godzilla figures, especially 1962 & 1975, & this is coming from someone who's not even that big a fan of 1962.
Toho would disagree
#slatternking

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:It WOULD be cool if they could do a Super Godzilla for their video game line, or a 2002 for that matter : D

We don't need any more Showas anyway
I doubt Toho will let them do another video game Godzilla. Considering they've done nothing but newer suits we do need some Showa in the line.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

Where do people get this idea Toho is not allowing showa suits that were not in a serious movie? Yes, they nixed Neca from doing a HB Godzilla figure and they want Godzilla to be taken serious again, but they allowed Diamond Select toys to make a 75 Goji bank, and X-plus makes all kinds of showa Godzilla suit figures all the time.

The whole wanting Godzilla to be serious again I think is more they want to market their designs, Legendary's Goji, and maybe 98 Godzilla (Meaning no Marvel, no Godzilla vs. Charles Barkley Goji, Toon zilla, ect).
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

darthzilla99 wrote:Where do people get this idea Toho is not allowing showa suits that were not in a serious movie? Yes, they nixed Neca from doing a HB Godzilla figure and they want Godzilla to be taken serious again, but they allowed Diamond Select toys to make a 75 Goji bank, and X-plus makes all kinds of showa Godzilla suit figures all the time.
I think it may've started from the comics discussions. From what I remember, Toho wouldn't allow Showa-era designs to be used for the IDW comics, only stuff from Heisei/Millennium.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Ew, that's pretty shitty of Toho if true. Sounds like that they're pretty biased against the post-1954 Showa films. :/
Last edited by Gerdzerl on Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Gerdzerl wrote:Ew, that's pretty shitty of Toho if true. Sounds like that they're pretty biased against the post-1954 Showa films. :/
I'm almost sure I saw Chris Mowry comment on why they were working with the Heisei/Millennium designs, closest thing I could find for now was Matt commenting on Toho's preference for them not to use pre-1989-Heisei designs: viewtopic.php?p=514475#p514475

I always chalked it up to this being the reason why we haven't seen any Showa designs (outside of 1954) from NECA.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

So are they seriously not making the Monster Planet Godzilla?
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:So are they seriously not making the Monster Planet Godzilla?
I swear the NECA sub-forum is a never ending cycle of the same exact questions over and over...

Considering the massive fuck up with MonsterArts over a rights issue with Anime Godzilla, it's very logical to deduce that the figure NECA cancelled over a rights issue was Anime Godzilla.

So, no.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

Fermix wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:Hate to be the downer, but I think Toho would say no to that until there is a monsterarts one first.
I'm not sure that's true; NECA managed to put out the Atomic GMK variant without an SHMA version existing beforehand.
And 1984.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I didn't realize Neca was making a 16" version of their Kidrobot Godzilla plushie!
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Last edited by godzilla1541 on Mon Sep 25, 2017 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

I can't wait for the 1 new figure announcement! :P
/crawls back under rock