Official TK X-PLUS Collector's Discussion Group

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
nekromantik
Monsterland Worker

Re: Official TK X-PLUS Collector's Discussion Group

Post by nekromantik »

My Shin Defforeal has reached the UK!

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

nekromantik wrote:My Shin Defforeal has reached the UK!
You're gonna love him man!

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

I feel slightly bad about skipping this one, but I also have the original release.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Oh yeah this GMK figure is the one.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Took long enough.

Added in 3 minutes 58 seconds:
_JNavs_ wrote:Oh yeah this GMK figure is the one.
The Favorite Sculptors one is nice but yeah I find the Sakai much more impressive.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

nekromantik
Monsterland Worker

Post by nekromantik »

ApexOversteer wrote:
nekromantik wrote:My Shin Defforeal has reached the UK!
You're gonna love him man!

looks great!
It left the import airport 4am yesterday 4am and no updates which is worrying as UK Mail is not as bad as USPS currently.
It should got to sorting office yesterday PM.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Oh yeah this GMK figure is the one.
The Favorite Sculptors one is nice but yeah I find the Sakai much more impressive.
Yeah it seems like Sakai is the main one to get the overall look juuuuust right, he looks like someone shrunk the suit right from the film.

Every little detail is in there, and this being my first X-Plus figure, it's a stunner. His teeth are all individually sculpted, I didn't even know the suit had extra teeth in-between each tooth, textured ridges on the tongue, like that's insane. He has the heft you'd expect from a big boy like GMK. I don't know if there's a specific shot in the film the pose is taken from, but i can totally see him in motion from time to time.

Now that i have this in hand, I can say with confidence $100 was a steal and this will definitely be a line i keep my eyes on.

I know he came out a few years ago, but i still want to show some pics since there's been a severe lack of GMK in these past few pages.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Jun 10, 2020 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Took long enough.

Ya think? I figure I'll see mine some time in September... or October... or November... maybe next year...
Last edited by ApexOversteer on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

X-Plus/Star Ace has dropped the next One Million Years B.C. Dinosaur in the Ray Harryhausen 100 Years Anniversary series... the Triceratops! The Deluxe version comes with the beautiful Loana, played in the film by iconic bombshell actress Rachel Welch.

Preorders are open at AwesomeCollector, $184.99 +$15 shipping for a total of $259.99 for the Deluxe set with both figures, $184.99 + $15 shipping for a total of $199.99 for the Triceratops alone. These are scheduled to be released in December.

Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician

Post by Darth Kiryu »

ApexOversteer wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Took long enough.

Ya think? I figure I'll see mine some time in September... or October... or November... maybe next year...
Mine's still trapped in Japan as well.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

When it comes to Heisei Godzillas, outside of the scale difference, do you guys prefer the original 30cm releases or the Sakai's?

I've been teetering on what would look good with my Sakai GMK, and it seems like the older releases are cheaper and larger, but less accurate. Scale doesn't bother me since Heisei Goji is supposed to be 80 meters while GMK is closer to 60 so it fits. But accuracy would be nice for my new "definitive" Godzilla collection i've started. So it comes down to suit accuracy vs scale accuracy, and price of course.

The old PX exclusives seem to only cost around 150-200 while the Sakai's are closer to 300.

I've specifically had my eye on the 89 suit.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Sachiel
Monarch Researcher

Post by Sachiel »

_JNavs_ wrote:When it comes to Heisei Godzillas, outside of the scale difference, do you guys prefer the original 30cm releases or the Sakai's?

I've been teetering on what would look good with my Sakai GMK, and it seems like the older releases are cheaper and larger, but less accurate. Scale doesn't bother me since Heisei Goji is supposed to be 80 meters while GMK is closer to 60 so it fits. But accuracy would be nice for my new "definitive" Godzilla collection i've started. So it comes down to suit accuracy vs scale accuracy, and price of course.
Generally speaking the Millennium era Godzillas are all 50 meters tall, while the 1980s Heisei Godzillas are 80 meters tall.

Heisei Godzillas between 1991-1995 are 100 meters tall.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:When it comes to Heisei Godzillas, outside of the scale difference, do you guys prefer the original 30cm releases or the Sakai's?

The old PX exclusives seem to only cost around 150-200 while the Sakai's are closer to 300.

In my opinion all the Sakais are superior except the 92. That I actually prefer the original release.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote:

In my opinion all the Sakais are superior except the 92. That I actually prefer the original release.
Yeah the Sakai's overall seem next level with their accuracy, what puts the original 92 above the Sakai for you?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

Yeah the Sakai's overall seem next level with their accuracy, what puts the original 92 above the Sakai for you?
The OG 92 has good shelf presence and I love how fierce his face looks. It's not as screen accurate though as the usual X-Plus. The Sakai to me is a big letdown. Its pose isn't dynamic, its got weird pink spots in his ears (which I know was in some scenes), and its got this dead stare that doesnt look anything like the photos when it came out. It was probably the only time I ever opened an X Plus and was disappointed when I looked at it. 99% of the time I open an X Plus I'm like "damn this is legit!"

To me the best Sakai is the 1991. It's almost perfect
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Godzilla21 wrote: The OG 92 has good shelf presence and I love how fierce his face looks. It's not as screen accurate though as the usual X-Plus. The Sakai to me is a big letdown. Its pose isn't dynamic, its got weird pink spots in his ears (which I know was in some scenes), and its got this dead stare that doesnt look anything like the photos when it came out. It was probably the only time I ever opened an X Plus and was disappointed when I looked at it. 99% of the time I open an X Plus I'm like "damn this is legit!"

To me the best Sakai is the 1991. It's almost perfect
Yeah the pink ears are a little off for my liking lol, like you said he looks kinda meh.

The OG 92 seems to bring the presence, he also seems to tower over the Sakai line which, coming back to the
In-Universe scale accuracy, could be a good thing.

Added in 3 minutes 54 seconds:
I found a really good price for one of those old X-Plus 12 inch G54 Resin statues but there seems to be like 0 reviews on it, so i'm debating if i should look into it. I wonder if it'd scale well/look accurate with the rest of the X-Plus lines? I think so far on my X-Plus hunt it's come down to this Resin statue and the vinyl OG 92, i can get either for about $160-70 shipped.

Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 13, 2020 2:19 am, edited 4 times in total.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I’m thinking of getting into the X-Plus series.

In Australia X plus products are very rare, but when you find one it’s pretty rewarding. I’m thinking of getting the Deforeal Godzilla 1964 for Christmas. Any other recommendations for beginners?
For Emperor and Empire!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

DeForeals are a good place to start. They're your cheapest bet next to the 25cm or Large Monster series. I usually recommend grabbing your favorite Godzilla suit first and foremost.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

_JNavs_ wrote:I found a really good price for one of those old X-Plus 12 inch G54 Resin statues but there seems to be like 0 reviews on it, so i'm debating if i should look into it. I wonder if it'd scale well/look accurate with the rest of the X-Plus lines? I think so far on my X-Plus hunt it's come down to this Resin statue and the vinyl OG 92, i can get either for about $160-70 shipped.

Dammit, I saw this earlier and after I had a chance to take a photo, I totally forgot it was here, I thought it was on Facebook! :lol:

Anyway...

It's a great piece, at the time of its release in the early 2000's it was probably THE premiere Shodai figure/statue available.

It is a stylized sculpt, not strictly suit-accurate, but IMO it captures the essence of the '54. If you collect X-Plus, the detail will feel and look a bit smooth, and this was really a part of the stylization of this figure, as other statues released around this time feature the same crisp, deep detail we are used to from X-Plus.

Other major differences are the weight, and the fragility. I bought mine in late 2004, from a comic book shop that was going out of business, along with 7 other X-Plus polystone Kaiju. He had been displayed in the shop, and had been damaged. He's missing a toe, and his tail has been glued back on at some point, but of the 8 statues, he was the only one damaged. I got all 8 for $400.

He's supposed to be 12" tall, but I think that's with the base. He does not scale well with the more recent 30cm vinyl figures from X-Plus, as you can see from the photo. I think he's even a bit smaller than we're used to the Sakai releases being.

I do recommend grabbing this, if you can find him at at good price, But, he really won't blend into a collection of X-Plus vinyls, and maybe that's why you grab him, a piece of X-Plus history.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ApexOversteer wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I found a really good price for one of those old X-Plus 12 inch G54 Resin statues but there seems to be like 0 reviews on it, so i'm debating if i should look into it. I wonder if it'd scale well/look accurate with the rest of the X-Plus lines? I think so far on my X-Plus hunt it's come down to this Resin statue and the vinyl OG 92, i can get either for about $160-70 shipped.

Dammit, I saw this earlier and after I had a chance to take a photo, I totally forgot it was here, I thought it was on Facebook! :lol:

Anyway...

It's a great piece, at the time of its release in the early 2000's it was probably THE premiere Shodai figure/statue available.

It is a stylized sculpt, not strictly suit-accurate, but IMO it captures the essence of the '54. If you collect X-Plus, the detail will feel and look a bit smooth, and this was really a part of the stylization of this figure, as other statues released around this time feature the same crisp, deep detail we are used to from X-Plus.

Other major differences are the weight, and the fragility. I bought mine in late 2004, from a comic book shop that was going out of business, along with 7 other X-Plus polystone Kaiju. He had been displayed in the shop, and had been damaged. He's missing a toe, and his tail has been glued back on at some point, but of the 8 statues, he was the only one damaged. I got all 8 for $400.

He's supposed to be 12" tall, but I think that's with the base. He does not scale well with the more recent 30cm vinyl figures from X-Plus, as you can see from the photo. I think he's even a bit smaller than we're used to the Sakai releases being.

I do recommend grabbing this, if you can find him at at good price, But, he really won't blend into a collection of X-Plus vinyls, and maybe that's why you grab him, a piece of X-Plus history.

wow, it really does look like a solid piece! It seems like the paint makes up for the lack of crisp detail, i love the combination of greens and dark greys. The pose also seems more dynamic than most 54 figures.

As far as height goes, according to wikizilla he's supposed to be around 50 meters and GMK is 60 meters, so a few inches give or take should be no biggy. Without the base would you say he's closer to 9 inches? A good 10-11 inches would be ideal, since it would, at least to the untrained eye, look like a part of the same series. There's so little info and videos on him out there, it's strange lol!

I could get him new without box (still in styrofoam) for $152, which i think is a good deal. There's also a Banpresto 10.5 inch 54 Goji for like $75, but the teeth aren't individually sculpted, so it looks like a giant Bandai lol. X-plus spoiled me when it comes to teeth.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.