The Toynami Godzilla Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Re: The Toynami Godzilla Thread.

Post by DrBreakfastMachine »

It's kind of refreshing to not be the only one on this board shaking my head at toy prices for once.

Ignoring costs, the shogun figure honestly looks great, but the statue, not so much. Godzilla kind of looks like an angry kitten there.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

The Super7 Shogun Stormtrooper was limited to 1200 numbered pieces, & was $300 each. Toynami's Shogun Warriors Godzilla is NOT a limited piece, so there is no reason to be charging OVER $200 for it...

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

To really illustrate the insanity, the original Shogun Godzilla sold for $16 in 1979, which is about $50 in today's money. Considering you can the Jakks Pacific Godzilla figure for a little over $40 on Amazon, I'd say that's a pretty sound price for a figure that's a bit smaller than the JP but has more gimmicks.

$200 is NUTS for something that they'd sell a hell of a lot more for $50.

SJM925
E.S.P.Spy

Post by SJM925 »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote:$200 is NUTS for something that they'd sell a hell of a lot more for $50.

.... huuuuh? You have no idea what goes into making stuff like this, do you? At that price, they'd maybe make enough back to pay for the prototype and half the production run.

Is this thing worth $250? More than likely not, but there's no way you can compare the price of a two toys made under different economic and licensing conditions, and THEN companies; Mattel's a juggernaut, but... Toynami? :eh:

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

SJM925 wrote:
DrBreakfastMachine wrote:$200 is NUTS for something that they'd sell a hell of a lot more for $50.

.... huuuuh? You have no idea what goes into making stuff like this, do you? At that price, they'd maybe make enough back to pay for the prototype and half the production run.

Is this thing worth $250? More than likely not, but there's no way you can compare the price of a two toys made under different economic and licensing conditions, and THEN companies; Mattel's a juggernaut, but... Toynami? :eh:
Well, they might sell more than four if they lowered the price, is what we're saying. It may not be feasible to lower the price to $50 but the point is that that's what the toy should be worth, not five times that, so nobody wants to spend it.

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote:Well, they might sell more than four if they lowered the price, is what we're saying. It may not be feasible to lower the price to $50 but the point is that that's what the toy should be worth, not five times that, so nobody wants to spend it.
It's worth as much as people are willing to pay for it. If the demand doesn't match the supply, the price goes up or down in the secondary market.

The MSRP is more-or-less set by adding the licensing and production costs, adding the desired profits, and then dividing the sum by the number of units produced. They could make five times as many (driving the cost down to your theoretical $50), but will there be five times as many buyers? How many people are clamoring for a revised Shogun Warriors Godzilla? Demand is the one thing that's hard to get right. Overestimating demand has driven a number of toy companies into bankruptcy - remember Resaurus and Trendmasters?

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

Well, if if this board is anything to go by, there are some people clamoring for this figure but none of them are actually willing to pay for it. This is a community of the people most likely to know about, care about, and spend triple-digit figures on Godzilla merchandise and the price of Toynami's product is getting a thrashing here, so I'd say they made a mistake.

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

You know if Toynami wants to sell their Godzilla merchandise, they should show it on their page. seriously they have not even made a reference to Godzilla in months.
Godzilla

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

g2vd wrote:You know if Toynami wants to sell their Godzilla merchandise, they should show it on their page. seriously they have not even made a reference to Godzilla in months.
On their site? It's there...

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

MandaSaurus wrote:
g2vd wrote:You know if Toynami wants to sell their Godzilla merchandise, they should show it on their page. seriously they have not even made a reference to Godzilla in months.
I was talking about their Facebook. the last time they had anything Godzilla on their was during the New York Comic con. but yet any time there is a new figure in their Robotech or a keychain in their Hello Kitty line they post about it.
Godzilla

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

g2vd wrote:
MandaSaurus wrote:
I was talking about their Facebook. the last time they had anything Godzilla on their was during the New York Comic con. but yet any time there is a new figure in their Robotech or a keychain in their Hello Kitty line they post about it.
They'll probably post about the Godzilla products when it's actually near time for their release.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I couldn't even FIND their friggin' Facebook page...

Don't like the price, but the more I think about that Shogun, the more I want it, as it 'fixes' one of the most disappointing toys from my youth. Some of you say, buy a used Mattel one, it'll be cheaper, but it doesn't change the fact that the Mattel one is a HORRIBLE likeness of Big G. Vegetable green? Yellow claws/teeth? Red/orange flame-breath? A face like a bulldog, rather than a reptile snout? I could go buy one off ebay RIGHT NOW if I wanted one, but I don't. I wasn't fond of the likeness as a kid, & as an adult, I despise it...

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Godzilla

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

My only interest in the original Shogun is its historic mark in Godzilla merchandise. And I'm usually generous with non-movie toy designs. It just doesn't look good on its own, even for its age.
But I'd probably allow myself to plop some cash down for one someday.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ That's cuz the design STINKS. Period.

DrBreakfastMachine
Interpol Agent

I'm fond of the Shogun Godzilla but then I also have a major fascination with weird American Godzilla merch that came out decades before I was even born.

That...sounded a lot less specific in my head.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

DrBreakfastMachine wrote:I'm fond of the Shogun Godzilla but then I also have a major fascination with weird American Godzilla merch that came out decades before I was even born.

That...sounded a lot less specific in my head.
Actually, it isn't 'weird American Godzilla merch', it was weird Japanese Godzilla merch that was re-packaged by Mattel & brought to the US, just like ALL of the Mattel Shogun Warriors line, which, in Japan, had NOTHING in common, aside from the fact that they were all Jumbo Machinders...

I had said before that the Godzilla Sake Decanter was my 'Holy Grail' of Godzilla merch. I was wrong. This new Shogun Warriors Godzilla, that corrects everything I hated about the original, is my NEW Holy Grail...

BTW, EE has it up for pre-order at $249, but with FREE shipping. BBTS is selling it for $239, but considering the SIZE of this beast, it's gonna cost more than $10 to ship, so I would go with EE before BBTS...

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

I just pre-ordered this....it'll probably be the last Godzilla figure I buy. I have everything I want and display space is limited. I can't even begin to understand the complaints about the sculpt on the Shogun figure...many of the people complaining buy tons of stylized vinyl figures from Japan with sculpts sometimes nowhere near this good.

You can tell this is the 64 Godzilla and for me...it's the perfect blend of that suit and the retro Mattel figure.

The price is high, and I held off pre-ordering it for a while for that reason but when you factor in the price to make the figure and the licence fee it's about right for a small company like this.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

MandaSaurus wrote: Actually, it isn't 'weird American Godzilla merch', it was weird Japanese Godzilla merch that was re-packaged by Mattel & brought to the US, just like ALL of the Mattel Shogun Warriors line, which, in Japan, had NOTHING in common, aside from the fact that they were all Jumbo Machinders...
Uh, no it wasn't. The Popy Godzilla and the Shogun Warriors Godzilla are two completely different molds.

Hybrid Gojira
Interpol Agent

Post by Hybrid Gojira »

I actually like the design, but not at that price point. There's simply other stuff I want more.
Kaiju Transmissions Podcast Facebook - https://www.facebook.com/kaijutransmissionspodcast