BUYER BE AWARE: The Ultimate Godzilla Bootleg Article

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
UltramanGoji

Re: BUYER BE AWARE: The Ultimate Godzilla Bootleg Article

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's not the Horizon Godzilla.

eBay Figure

Horizon Figure

Two completely different sculpts. It's a custom of the Bandai Large Scale 1991 Godzilla. Nothing more, nothing less.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

The bootleg Minya looks stoned. The non-boot does not.

ChunkyGodzilla
Monsterland Worker

Post by ChunkyGodzilla »

:g2k: Here are close ups of the figure on the Horizon box, & a close up of the actual figure's silver claws & stomach. On second thought, you might be right. Im gonna have to get my Bandai Large Scale out & take side by side pics of the two.......Hmmmm

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's a custom. End of story. Let's stop derailing this thread.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Bandai 8 Inch Scale King Ghidorah Bootlegs

These incredibly rare bootlegs are based on Bandai's 8 inch scale King Ghidorah 1964, originally released in 1984 as one of Bandai's first Godzilla figures.

There are at least two bootlegs of the Bandai King Ghidorah. It is immediately obvious that both of these figures have very different paint schemes than the actual, golden King Ghidorah. One of them is a bright green color, and the other is a light pink. Both feature dark highlights on the legs, wings, and necks, though they are noticeably duller on the pink figure, almost nonexistent. The painted faces on the figures also appear to be a bit sloppy.

In addition, the bootleg is slightly smaller than the actual King Ghidorah, only noticeable when compared to the real figure.

There are rumors of a neon orange King Ghidorah as well. Considering the colors of these ones, it is very possible and likely that said variant exists, but I have been unable to find pictures of it. Being as rare as they are, this is not surprising.

I have only seen these figures once, and both are from fellow TK member Leunames. The figures are extremely hard to come by, significantly rarer than Bandai's real figure. There could be more than a few variants of this figure, but at the moment, only these two, green and pink, are confirmed. Luckily, these figure vary drastically from the source material, so collectors should not be fooled by them.
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ How expensive do those green & pink Ghiddys run?

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Sorry this is a day late, BTW. Totally forgot to post it.
MandaSaurus wrote:^ How expensive do those green & pink Ghiddys run?
I've never seen them anywhere else, only the pictures Leunames provided. Haven't a clue.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Found a new bootleg on eBay this weekend. Looks to be a polystyrene boot of the 6" Power-Up Godzilla figure, with an altered head and dorsals. Note the gap above the shoulder:

Resized ImageResized Image

eBay auction:
Godzilla King Ghidorah Gigan Rodan Baragon action figures finger puppets TOHO

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

Those Ghidorah bootlegs are something else. Who wouldn't want a pink lemonade Ghidorah?
As for the Godzilla, it looks like a boot of one of the battle pack figures (the Trendmasters ones). Maybe Raging Godzilla? I don't remember haha

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Bandai 6 Inch Scale Godzilla 1994 Bootlegs

Bandai began their 6 inch series in 1998 following the Godzilla Island TV Show, which was created using Bandai's figures. The first entry of the line was Godzilla 1992. There are two known bootlegs of this figure.

The first bootleg is a translucent orange. Nothing is painted on the figure. It is roughly the same height as the actual figure, though a tiny bit smaller. It feels very cheap, being noticeably flimsier and softer than any actual Bandai figure.

The actual Bandai 6 inch Godzilla 1992 had a few paint variants, but all of them were largely the same, being charcoal grey and fully painted. However, some collectors might not be aware of this. Over the years, ever since Godzilla vs. Destoroyah, Bandai has produced many orange Heisei Godzilla figures, so it's understandable that some novice collectors could potentially mistake this orange bootleg for an exclusive figure. However, there is no orange variant of this particular mold. Bandai's 6 and 8 inch orange Godzilla figures are variants of the Burning Godzilla (1995) mold, not the 1992 mold, and have painted faces and various highlights throughout them, not a flat orange like this bootleg. With this in mind, you should be able to tell real figures from this bootleg.

There is another bootleg of the Bandai 6 inch Godzilla 1992.

This bootleg's paint scheme is much closer to the source material. The body is a grey/black, with a painted face and painted dorsal fins/nails. However, the bootleg does not resemble any of the actual paint variants of the real figure. Interestingly, it does bear a slight resemblance to Bandai's taller 8 inch Godzilla 1992 figures, which also have silver paint on the chests. However, there is noticeably more paint on the bootleg. Oddly enough, there is also silver paint on both arms of the bootleg.

The pupils are also smaller on the bootleg's eyes, which are also white instead of Bandai's gold/yellow coloring. The dorsal fins running down the back and tail are entirely silver as well, unlike Bandai's, which are blue and grey, depending on the variant. Overall, it should not be hard to spot the bootleg from Bandais'.

Both of these bootlegs are noteworthy for different reasons. Luckily, they are fairly easy to spot and rather difficult to come by. These bootlegs can fool new/inexperienced collectors, but once you know that they are not simple variants of the real figures, they should not be hard to avoid.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

Zilla103192
Keizer

Post by Zilla103192 »

This thread is awesome! Keep up the great work X!

I'm really looking forward to that odd Gigan with ears looking one.
Don't try to be something else. Don't try to be less. Great things are going to happen in your life. Great things. And with that will come great responsibility.

My Official Facebook Page! Like and Share!! https://www.facebook.com/DillonFisherAr ... e=bookmark

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Sorry I haven't updated this in a week, but fear not, progress is being made! My next entry was going to be on the Bandai Little Godzilla bootleg, but then one popped up on Ebay and I just got it earlier tonight. Now I can provide some good comparison pics. In the meantime, I'll try to get another entry up (hopefully) tomorrow if time allows. :)
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

Hellblaze
JXSDF Technician

Post by Hellblaze »

I'm seeing alot pop up on ebay alot coming from China. I'm seeing the 2014 Godzilla figures knock off on Bandai's version. Here's one of them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Set-of-2-pcs-Ne ... 233f9164b7

Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S. Bootleg Figure 9 inch scale

My figure I got from China here's my thoughts on the figure. First the image.

The painting on the scar on his chest is very orange a ugly color. The claws on both hands and feet look like they were spray painted. Also the figure feels hard and not vinyl. The spines are also in very bad color. Its like the spines were also spray painted. These were all over ebay years ago. They even had the Against Mechagodzilla version however that version it's mouth was closed when I got it and it had a scar mark on its chest. I threw it out. When I had it as I remember, the chest scar was painted black to cover up that there was no scar there. The painting and hardness of the figure remained the same. They even had SOS figures of one of these:

Far as I know these toys had a light inside you had to press down after taking the head off. A knock off version of a meltdown Goji figure.

This is a knock off version of the 2000 figure line but SOS style. Again China sellers had these there is reviews on Youtube where people purchased the figure and did the review however they were unaware they purchased bootleg Goji figures. From what I can tell on each figure including mine is that the paint job on them is horrid and the figure feels very very hard and not vinyl at all.

Hope this helps also beware of China sellers folks! They are well known on selling bootleg items on ebay and ebay hasn't banned any Chinese sellers on ebay for giving customers fake items. I hope my review helps. Be safe Goji fans! :)

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

I have the green/purple one and it was my first "legit" Godzilla figure... until I found out it wasn't, lol

There's also a black/white variation and I think another one.
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Don't worry, I'll be doing a write-up on the Kiryu-Goji bootlegs, too. A long, long write-up. Between the two of them, there are over 40 goddamned variants. It's ridiculous. I have photos of most of them, too.

Anyways, some bad news - my camera finally kicked the bucket. Had that thing for many years now. Practically every single photo I ever posted since joining has been taken with that thing. But frankly, I'm surprised it lasted this long with me as it's owner. I think I might have another camera somewhere. Hopefully. I'll look for it tomorrow.

But there was some good to come out of today, as LG came in the mail (pic taken with my phone). Very interesting little guy. And it only cost me $18.

Expect this one... hopefully this weekend, provided I find a camera or something.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

That little Godzilla looks pretty good not as good as the real figure but pretty cool.
Godzilla

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

Bandai 8 Inch Scale Little Godzilla Bootleg

This bootleg, like the previously covered Minilla bootleg, is one of the more well-known bootlegs. It is based on Bandai's 8 inch scale Little Godzilla figure from 1994.

The paint scheme on this bootleg is very clearly meant to reflect the actual figure's, though when placed next to the authentic figure, the differences become very clear.

Probably the most eye-catching difference is the yellow/orange on the main body. On the Bandai figure, Little Godzilla's stomach is a bright yellow, while the bootleg's is a much darker orange. The bootleg's paint also stops at the neck while Bandai's neck is painted, though that may vary from figure to figure.

The other main difference between the two are the eyes. The pupils on the bootleg are smaller than they are on the real figure, and the irises are a red-orange color rather than the actual brown color they're supposed to be.

The green paint on most of the bootleg as well as the white paint on the dorsal fins are strikingly similar to the Bandai, with very little difference between them at all. The green on the bootleg is slightly darker, but it is barely noticeable.

This bootleg bears a resemblance to the authentic Bandai figure, but not enough to confuse it with the Bandai if you know what either look like. The color of the stomach/chest should be a dead giveaway, and if inspected closer, the eyes. As with most bootlegs, the bootleg lacks "Bandai" that is supposed to be written on the feet and in place only reads "Made in China". Overall, this bootleg shouldn't be hard to spot from the real deal.

(P.S. Sorry for such a long delay on this, this little project has slipped away from me. In my month-long absence, however, I have discovered and purchased a new bootleg that I've never seen before. Weekly updates on this topic will resume from here on out.)
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

g2vd
Xilien Halfling

Post by g2vd »

Mr. X wrote:Bandai 8 Inch Scale Little Godzilla Bootleg
Great article on the little Godzilla bootleg can't wait to see what the next one is.
Godzilla

Mr. X
Keizer

Post by Mr. X »

^Thanks!

I discovered a number of new bootlegs today, all of which will of course be appearing in this topic eventually. Here are my favorites -

Like the Godzilla 2000 from the other topic, they're a foot tall each.

However, these don't look... as good, to say the least. Actually, they seem to be asking you to buy them so you can burn them to put them out of their misery.
G2000 wrote:
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

When will we see the million bootlegs of KiryuGoji?
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!