Diorama Advice/Help Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
User avatar
terrypierson
Interpol Agent
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby terrypierson » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:03 am

I hear ya, EdGojra.

The 10" Atomic Roar definitely looks more at home on my set (although still not to the extent you are talking about).

Image

If I could somehow get the Jakks in there I guess that would be about right.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:08 am

terrypierson wrote:I hear ya, EdGojra.

The 10" Atomic Roar definitely looks more at home on my set (although still not to the extent you are talking about).

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1901946_10200711175221264_516944490_n.jpg

If I could somehow get the Jakks in there I guess that would be about right.

Also a fun thing to put into consideration is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Empi ... 3d+puzzles
It's around three times the height of a 6" Godzilla which is how it would be (approximately). Also, it's a puzzle which means you can bring it up or down.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

User avatar
Leunames
Interpol Agent
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: NYC

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Leunames » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:40 pm

EdGojra wrote:
terrypierson wrote:I hear ya, EdGojra.

The 10" Atomic Roar definitely looks more at home on my set (although still not to the extent you are talking about).

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1901946_10200711175221264_516944490_n.jpg

If I could somehow get the Jakks in there I guess that would be about right.

Also a fun thing to put into consideration is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Empi ... 3d+puzzles
It's around three times the height of a 6" Godzilla which is how it would be (approximately). Also, it's a puzzle which means you can bring it up or down.


It's quite a bit undersized. The ESB is 443 meters tall with spire. Godzilla is 100 meters. This needs to be 27 inches tall...it's 18
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Sun Mar 30, 2014 4:50 pm

leunames wrote:
EdGojra wrote:
terrypierson wrote:I hear ya, EdGojra.

The 10" Atomic Roar definitely looks more at home on my set (although still not to the extent you are talking about).

https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1901946_10200711175221264_516944490_n.jpg

If I could somehow get the Jakks in there I guess that would be about right.

Also a fun thing to put into consideration is this:
http://www.amazon.com/Ravensburger-Empi ... 3d+puzzles
It's around three times the height of a 6" Godzilla which is how it would be (approximately). Also, it's a puzzle which means you can bring it up or down.


It's quite a bit undersized. The ESB is 443 meters tall with spire. Godzilla is 100 meters. This needs to be 27 inches tall...it's 18

I freaking looked at the wrong size chart, then. Skreeonk you internet! Seriously, how big would it be in 1:700 scale?
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

User avatar
Leunames
Interpol Agent
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: NYC

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Leunames » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:01 pm

EdGojra wrote:I freaking looked at the wrong size chart, then. Skreeonk you internet! Seriously, how big would it be in 1:700 scale?


Well just that, 27 inches. If 6" Godzilla represents 100m...then the finished item needs to be roughly 4.5 times the height so it reaches 443m. It's really 1:667 scale...1:650 is the next closest neat number.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:08 pm

I looked at the wrong size chart and it made me look like an idiot. I'm pissed off, now. Well, I don't know what to do there seems to be nothing that scales near perfect. I think 1/450 works, makes the monsters smaller but at least it is easier to find and it might work a little better because now Godzilla is closer to his original 50 meter height.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

User avatar
Leunames
Interpol Agent
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: NYC

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Leunames » Sun Mar 30, 2014 7:11 pm

EdGojra wrote:I looked at the wrong size chart and it made me look like an idiot. I'm pissed off, now. Well, I don't know what to do there seems to be nothing that scales near perfect. I think 1/450 works, makes the monsters smaller but at least it is easier to find and it might work a little better because now Godzilla is closer to his original 50 meter height.


There's an eiffel tower model that would be in perfect scale (just Google 1:650 Eiffel tower). But other than that...hard to you're right it's hard to find
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 am

Looked up 1:450 buildings and found this cool little (acrylic, mind you) thing:
http://www.tgauge.com/product/220/5/ruined-tower
Your Godzilla would be 70(give or take) meters next to this building. Some populace in the same scale:
http://www.tgauge.com/product/46/0/figu ... animal-set
http://www.tgauge.com/product/31/0/road-accessory-set-a, roads and Godzilla go so well.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

Plexton
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 am
Location: Air Conditioner

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Plexton » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:04 pm

Cool finds guys. Cosbydaf recently informed me of Hawk Wargame's "Cityscape", which is a collection of cardstock buildings in the 10 mm scale:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/cityscape

The set looks quite good with Monsterarts figures:

http://godzillaking.deviantart.com/art/ ... -399575482

I've added this item to the initial post.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:11 pm

Plexton wrote:Cool finds guys. Cosbydaf recently informed me of Hawk Wargame's "Cityscape", which is a collection of cardstock buildings in the 10 mm scale:

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/cityscape

The set looks quite good with Monsterarts figures:

http://godzillaking.deviantart.com/art/ ... -399575482

I've added this item to the initial post.

Really cool find, my good collector. Is there a way to make this thread a sticky? It seems important for those wanting to make their toys look cool.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

User avatar
Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 839
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:29 am

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Cosbydaf » Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:55 pm

There is also a Ruinscape, which is like a battle damaged Cityscape.

http://www.hawkwargames.com/products/ruinscape

And I think you can mix and match parts from this with the former, which sounds fun.

User avatar
ILL GREEN
Futurian
Posts: 1527
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:41 pm
Location: C'mon, you know where
Contact:

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby ILL GREEN » Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:31 pm

Maybe for 6" kaiju this might work. They even have Tokyo and Osaka.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002T1HG8 ... SX200_QL40

User avatar
terrypierson
Interpol Agent
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:27 pm
Contact:

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby terrypierson » Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:28 pm

Cityscape stuff looks pretty cool. Nice find!

User avatar
Leunames
Interpol Agent
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: NYC

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Leunames » Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:29 am

Scale chart I found

Image

Heisei is the red one, speculated legendary ones are to the right.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:43 pm

leunames wrote:Scale chart I found

http://i.imgur.com/6jKODGp.jpg

Heisei is the red one, speculated legendary ones are to the right.

Resembles the one that caused the Empire State Building mistake earlier. Out of curiosity, what scale would are the helicopters and fighter jets in the city destruction packs hypothetically?
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

User avatar
Leunames
Interpol Agent
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: NYC

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Leunames » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:09 am

EdGojra wrote:
leunames wrote:Scale chart I found

http://i.imgur.com/6jKODGp.jpg

Heisei is the red one, speculated legendary ones are to the right.

Resembles the one that caused the Empire State Building mistake earlier. Out of curiosity, what scale would are the helicopters and fighter jets in the city destruction packs hypothetically?


Not sure. I don't have them.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

User avatar
EdGojira
EDF Soldier
Posts: 4089
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:38 pm
Location: Peach Creek

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby EdGojira » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:15 am

leunames wrote:
EdGojra wrote:
leunames wrote:Scale chart I found

http://i.imgur.com/6jKODGp.jpg

Heisei is the red one, speculated legendary ones are to the right.

Resembles the one that caused the Empire State Building mistake earlier. Out of curiosity, what scale would are the helicopters and fighter jets in the city destruction packs hypothetically?


Not sure. I don't have them.

I just measured one of the fighter jets, which closely resemble modern fighters, they are 1 1/4" long and about a half centimeter tall.
How long has it been? I honestly forgot.
TK's resident Ed, Edd n Eddy fan.
http://i3.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/new ... 54/9ae.gif
[pic=http://x1.fjcdn.com/comments/lt+courtesy+of+that+ed+edd+amp+eddy+post+a+_b4fa40b3496a

User avatar
Leunames
Interpol Agent
Posts: 669
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:02 pm
Location: NYC

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Leunames » Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:37 am

EdGojra wrote:I just measured one of the fighter jets, which closely resemble modern fighters, they are 1 1/4" long and about a half centimeter tall.


F22 Raptor: 62' long or 744"

744/1.25=595 so 1:595 scale...not bad. They could be used for hesei monsterarts. Not sure if the toys are indeed raptors but generally it should fit, albeit slightly large.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Uncrazimatic

Godzilla and reviews, from vintage to modern day.

User avatar
Castellan Zilla
Keizer
Posts: 8270
Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 8:48 am
Location: Inside Source

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Castellan Zilla » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:32 am

I've been using a Micro Machine playset, as seen here:

Image

But, I'm really digging those Cityscape and Ruinscape sets. Might have to pick one of those up.

Plexton
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2299
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:33 am
Location: Air Conditioner

Re: City Diorama / Buildings for Kaiju Figures

Postby Plexton » Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:58 am

I recently received my first order of Tomix, Kato and Greenmax buildings. So far, they seem to scale quite well with one another, and they look good with various kaiju figures. While most of the buildings come pre-assembled (or at least mostly assembled), they also come with stickers that provide an almost absurd level of additional detail. The stickers are not required; the buildings look fine without them, but their application does bring the environments to life in an incredibly minute way; billboards, shop signs, advertisements on glass, etc.

I feel compelled to add the stickers on, even considering the difficulty this poses in many instances; the stickers all need to be cut manually, and some are incredibly minute. For example, Tomix's "Large Office Building (Dark Gray)" features travel brochure stickers for a travel agent store window that are approximately 5 millimeters in length, and which need to be inserted on to a display pedestal inside a small plastic box. The only way I could accomplish this was by applying the stickers with the end of a needle.

So, the detail can be a little crazy, but the overall look of the product is great. I've gotten a new camera, so I'll see if I can take some photos once everything is set up.


Return to “Toho Toys, Models and Collectibles”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests