Diorama Advice/Help Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Creature22
EDF Instructor

Re: Diorama Advice/Help Thread

Post by Creature22 »

Destorogoji wrote:I'm working on my city diorama, but I still have no clue on how can I make the streets, Should I print them?, Or maybe just paint them?
I think painting them looks infinitely better then printing, if you want to make it or choose the easily affordable option. When I made my animated film a few years back I used a few sets that I had made and used over the years, including some old wooden slates that were spray-painted green and had printed out streets glued onto them, but they didn't look that good. Painted roads look a lot better and don't peel off or look out of place, plus they're pretty easy to make, so I did a new layout with some roads and added fake grass and moss for realism.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Creature22 wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:I'm working on my city diorama, but I still have no clue on how can I make the streets, Should I print them?, Or maybe just paint them?
I think painting them looks infinitely better then printing, if you want to make it or choose the easily affordable option. When I made my animated film a few years back I used a few sets that I had made and used over the years, including some old wooden slates that were spray-painted green and had printed out streets glued onto them, but they didn't look that good. Painted roads look a lot better and don't peel off or look out of place, plus they're pretty easy to make, so I did a new layout with some roads and added fake grass and moss for realism.
Thank you! I will put that in practice!
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

What the best scale for XPLUS or Neca Pacific Rim figures? I don't want the buildings to be too small but I don't want them too big either. I'm not looking for exact scaling just a broad range. I don't want anything that's too out of scale but it don't need to be 100% accurate either.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:What the best scale for XPLUS or Neca Pacific Rim figures? I don't want the buildings to be too small but I don't want them too big either. I'm not looking for exact scaling just a broad range. I don't want anything that's too out of scale but it don't need to be 100% accurate either.
For X plus I'd go with N scale buildings.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I was looking at some N scale on Ebay earlier. Thanks.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheRadness »

I found a printable cityscape floor, that I believe had something to do with ultra act possibly? It's not the papercraft style building they released. It was literally just a city floor, like streets and blank plots for buildings.

Anyone have any clue what I'm talking about? haha Would love to print it out.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

What scale of buildings would fit well next to the SHF Ultraman stuff?
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Birdman wrote:What scale of buildings would fit well next to the SHF Ultraman stuff?
Hi, sorry for the date.
Probably Z Scale, that would put them between 30-40 meters.

Added in 11 minutes 47 seconds:
After a long time of printing and reusing the same papercraft buildings, I've been thinking about making my own printable designs.
My question is: Does anyone knows about a good software to design my own buildings and get the scale right?
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Post by cmdmstudios »

Destorogoji wrote:
Birdman wrote:What scale of buildings would fit well next to the SHF Ultraman stuff?
Hi, sorry for the date.
Probably Z Scale, that would put them between 30-40 meters.

Added in 11 minutes 47 seconds:
After a long time of printing and reusing the same papercraft buildings, I've been thinking about making my own printable designs.
My question is: Does anyone knows about a good software to design my own buildings and get the scale right?
Sketchup is a free 3D modeling software made specifically for architecture. I'm sure it could help greatly in making plans for paper buildings.
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Bandai is putting out buildings !! A true blessing from the collector gods https://instagram.com/p/Bh6t4KzAs0e/
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

godzilla1541 wrote:Bandai is putting out buildings !! A true blessing from the collector gods https://instagram.com/p/Bh6t4KzAs0e/
:shock: ......About damn time.

morbidmovies
Yojimbo

Post by morbidmovies »

Apparently the Bandai buildings are capsule toys. Guessing that's going to increase the cost and difficulty of finding them.
Last edited by morbidmovies on Tue May 01, 2018 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

morbidmovies wrote:Apparently the Bandi buildings are capsule toys. Guessing that's going to increase the cost and difficulty of finding them.
That sucks, but its true. I searched for these and they are hard to find, having to use middleman services.....*sigh, oh well*

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

goji89 wrote:
morbidmovies wrote:Apparently the Bandi buildings are capsule toys. Guessing that's going to increase the cost and difficulty of finding them.
That sucks, but its true. I searched for these and they are hard to find, having to use middleman services.....*sigh, oh well*
CSToys offers them for 3,66$ each.
https://www.cstoysjapan.com/collections ... fect-parts

morbidmovies
Yojimbo

Post by morbidmovies »

Dramorg wrote:
goji89 wrote:
CSToys offers them for 3,66$ each.
https://www.cstoysjapan.com/collections ... fect-parts
Thanks!

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

I'm sure this has been asked before, but what is the best light bulb to use for photo/video taking?
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Can anyone help a brother out? I need to know how people create this smoke effect.....any tutorial or if you happen to know how I appreciate it thanks.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I know absolutely nothing about anything- but it kind of looks like spray-foam (the kind used for insulation), carved and then flocked, somehow, to give it those fuzzy edges?

Alternatively, it could be cotton of some sort over a rigid carved core beneath; it's hard to tell.

Like I said, I have never built anything like this, and am just offering my novice impression of what I'm seeing in the photo.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Zarm wrote:I know absolutely nothing about anything- but it kind of looks like spray-foam (the kind used for insulation), carved and then flocked, somehow, to give it those fuzzy edges?

Alternatively, it could be cotton of some sort over a rigid carved core beneath; it's hard to tell.

Like I said, I have never built anything like this, and am just offering my novice impression of what I'm seeing in the photo.
Ah yes, Ive thought and tried those methods and it doesnt look that good. Maybe with practice but I've looked for tutorials and hell, it seems like its a big secret kept close to the chest.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Well, someone posted some videos in the other thread but it’s no secret. Just the right materials and lots of practice. Some people use cotton balls, others use various forms of stuffing for pillows, cushions, stuffed animals, etc.

The basic idea is you create a base structure, glue the material on and stretch it into the appropriate shape and paint it. For getting such a specific shape (specifically the billowy smoke effect at the back) he probably used some sort of spray adhesive to help hold it in place. For the stretched out fast moving rocket exhaust he probably glued it to a wire (he’s got to have a wire or post holding the missies) as he stretched it out thin. It’s also quite possible that he gently trimmed the stuffing/cotton as he pulled it into shape to help refine the look.