Godzilla 2014 toys and collectibles.

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Mr. X
Keizer

Re: Godzilla 2014 toys

Post by Mr. X »

It does look a bit stylized, don't it?

It looks like a McDonald's toy. Hell, the Ultraman McDonald's toys looked better. But if I could get it for a couple bucks, might as well.

How tall is it?
G2000 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:May God have mercy on this site.
He's given up
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote:
G2000 wrote:What about leeks? Can we post leeks?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... 3/Leek.jpg
http://orig02.deviantart.net/f900/f/201 ... 9nqjrv.png

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

I'd guess like 4 inches.

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

For $8, it looks fine. Def a buy for me, but I imagine the other toys to look much better. The NECA mini-figs will likely blow this away in detail, but those don't have a battery compartment.

Gettothechoppa
Samurai

Post by Gettothechoppa »

Not sure if that picture is the real deal. Maybe the toy, but I highly doubt the actual box art and book cover. Look at Godzilla's neck on the art, it's obviously photoshopped. They probably wouldn't sell something with the box looking like that.
"Every kaiju ever is a metaphor for nukes and nukes are bad but nukes are good in Pacific Rim because they save the day and that's bad."

Godzilla 2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla 2000 »

Cut it some slack, it's a 3 inch tall toy that comes with a sticker book.

Degenerate
GPN Volunteer

Sideshow Collectibles acquire Godzilla license

Post by Degenerate »

Yeah, I shoulda known better
Nothing lasts forever, yeah, lasts forever
When you said you'd never leave and we'd be together
Nothing lasts forever, nothing ever lasts forever

Starsteam
Keizer

Re: Sideshow Collectibles acquire Godzilla license

Post by Starsteam »

Dillyziller
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Dillyziller »

I don't think these are toys. Aren't they statues?
^This post in sexually offensive.

Degenerate
GPN Volunteer

Post by Degenerate »

Dillyzilla the Kaiju wrote:
I know for star wars there are statues and 12 action figures or 'dolls' as you might call them. They can be posed(SA), multiple hand gestures. Those range from $150-$200 the statues are even more...
Yeah, I shoulda known better
Nothing lasts forever, yeah, lasts forever
When you said you'd never leave and we'd be together
Nothing lasts forever, nothing ever lasts forever

Starsteam
Keizer

Post by Starsteam »

Dillyzilla the Kaiju wrote:
Oh good grief, nvm then.

I think we might as well make separate threads for the Bandai and Neca stuff too since both will likely have a lot of discussion. Just to keep things sorted out.

Edit: Ooorrr not. Very well.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Re: Godzilla 2014 toys and collectibles.

Post by GFAN198423 »

I don't know if it's necessary to have a thread for each manufacturer, but, I do think there could probably be a thread for each product type.

Godzilla 2014 Toys and Figures (NECA, Bandai, JAKKS)

Godzilla 2014 Statues and Collectibles (Sideshow, anyone else that comes out with a similar product)

Godzilla 2014 Merchandise (Apparel, Posters, Party Supplies, etc.)

It'd be helpful to see multiple makes of the same type in a single place to compare the work and make our choices for purchases.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I'm more excited to see what *non*-LPG figures these companies can bring, seeing how I hate the new design and because the American market is starved of detailed, high-quality and affordable figures of the Toho montsers.

It has been confirmed Bandai USA will continue to do their classic stuf in 6" vinyl formf (which I won't give two shits about unless the sculpts are greatly improved), but what about the other companies like Neca and Jakks? Are they sticking to LPG stuff or do we even know at this point?
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Well this movie is definitely bringing license for classic merchandise, DIamond has already put up a bust and full body bank of Godzilla '89, though the sculpts aren't great. I've heard rumor NECA has rights to do classic Godzilla.

I'm curious how the licensing works nowadays, I spoke to a contact at Sideshow a few years ago about them doing Toho Godzilla and they said it was a very hard license to obtain and that Bandai had control over who could do figures and statues, at least for U.S. companies, and it'd make sense, other than Bandai America and American Greetings, I can't think of any U.S. company making figures/statues whatever in the past few years, but perhaps if Toho and the license holders are into this film enough, the marketing will explode. I feel like the lack of product availability hurts the franchise popularity. The masses of fans behind properties are most often linked with collectors, and nice Godzilla items are either really rare or just high priced to begin with and it's hard to get into it. I'm sure many would go nuts over the X-Plus lineup if they were more like $50 each.

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

I personally think we'll get a short burst of classic Godzilla merchandise right around the time this movie is released, only for everything to pretty much peter out quickly and for us to more or less go back to 2012/13 levels by the end of the year. Personally, I don't think for a second that the BC line (for example) is going to explode with all sorts of classic Godzilla figures, huge box sets and all the other things people have been asking for. Stuff like the banks and busts we've been hearing about will probably go the way of the X-Plus USA resin statues, vinyl figures and Far East Monsters statues - a handful of items, but it probably won't last long.

Creature22
EDF Instructor

Post by Creature22 »

I'm expecting a similar amount of merchandising compared to what Peter Jackson's King Kong got; a fair amount of toys and merchandise and other cool things on the side, but I don't think it's going to be 1998 all over again. I think they learned their lesson with over-advertising haha.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Over-advertising G98 was not a problem, the quality of the product they were advertising was the issue, and even then, the campaign was a success, merchandise sold and people ran to the theater, the disappointment came after the fact.

I'm just glad quality companies are behind the toys, Trendmasters was a nice option for Americans who didn't have access to Bandai Japan stuff or other overseas items, but in the grand scheme they're just so-so. Bandai America's worst is still a step up from Trendmasters.

Castellan Zilla
Keizer

Post by Castellan Zilla »

GFAN198423 wrote: I'm just glad quality companies are behind the toys, Trendmasters was a nice option for Americans who didn't have access to Bandai Japan stuff or other overseas items, but in the grand scheme they're just so-so. Bandai America's worst is still a step up from Trendmasters.
I'd have to disagree with this. The 10" Trendmasters Godzilla figures are SUPERB and make the Bandai Creations figure look like crap. Yes, even the 12" ones.
I will explain slowly why you are wrong.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

Godzilla 1995 wrote:People don't usually wan to buy toys for a movie they hated.
I'm still bummed that the movie's poor reception ended up cancelling the Trendmaster animated line, the cartoon did so much better than the movie, but the movie did bad, a lot of the toys were lame, so they sold poorly overall and no one felt safe backing the animated ones, I bet those would have done better.

I wonder if we'll see any animated/stylized type toys besides the chibis.

gatorzilla
EDF Instructor

Post by gatorzilla »

GFAN198423 wrote:Well this movie is definitely bringing license for classic merchandise, DIamond has already put up a bust and full body bank of Godzilla '89, though the sculpts aren't great. I've heard rumor NECA has rights to do classic Godzilla.

I'm curious how the licensing works nowadays, I spoke to a contact at Sideshow a few years ago about them doing Toho Godzilla and they said it was a very hard license to obtain and that Bandai had control over who could do figures and statues, at least for U.S. companies, and it'd make sense, other than Bandai America and American Greetings, I can't think of any U.S. company making figures/statues whatever in the past few years, but perhaps if Toho and the license holders are into this film enough, the marketing will explode. I feel like the lack of product availability hurts the franchise popularity. The masses of fans behind properties are most often linked with collectors, and nice Godzilla items are either really rare or just high priced to begin with and it's hard to get into it. I'm sure many would go nuts over the X-Plus lineup if they were more like $50 each.
That brings up an interesting point. I've always been told Godzilla merchandise is generally a big seller so I'm hoping that maybe they will loosen the reigns a bit and allow where everyone can get something they want.
Obviously Bandai is the MAIN line of Godzilla toys and always will be in America and Japan. Theres no doubt about that. But im hoping other American companies like Diamond, NECA, Sideshow etc are able to produce a vast amount Godzilla products as well which I honestly believe would sell very well.

Again Godzilla can be a very profitable merchandising franchise if Toho would loosen up their grip just a little bit. Godzilla merchandise seems to be in demand here in the States
IN GARETH EDWARDS WE TRUST!

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Castellan Zilla wrote:
GFAN198423 wrote: I'm just glad quality companies are behind the toys, Trendmasters was a nice option for Americans who didn't have access to Bandai Japan stuff or other overseas items, but in the grand scheme they're just so-so. Bandai America's worst is still a step up from Trendmasters.
I'd have to disagree with this. The 10" Trendmasters Godzilla figures are SUPERB and make the Bandai Creations figure look like crap. Yes, even the 12" ones.
You mean the goofy-looking Rodan, He-Man Godzilla, proportionally awkward Ghidorahs, Ninja Turtle villain Gigan and the Mecahgodzilla that rips off the 10" Bandai DX figure? The only really decent 10" TM figure was the Space Godzilla.