Display Your Collection

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Re: Display Your Collection

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

I was finally able to ready a full size room in my house for my collection display. Furniture went out earlier in the week. Spent today fixing the floor gouges, spakling & touching up the wall paint, cleaning and prepping etc. Moved all my empty boxes into the closet. Tomorrow starts the big move up from the basement room.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

^fun times! Funnily, I’m in the exact opposite position. After finally moving to our new house, I’m in the process of prepping an extra bedroom to be a temporary display until I’m able to renovate my basement which will be my collection’s permanent home. I can’t wait to start unboxing everything in earnest. I’ve opened a few items but most of my collection has been packed up for 6 or 7 months now :freak:

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

canofhumdingers wrote:^fun times! Funnily, I’m in the exact opposite position. After finally moving to our new house, I’m in the process of prepping an extra bedroom to be a temporary display until I’m able to renovate my basement which will be my collection’s permanent home. I can’t wait to start unboxing everything in earnest. I’ve opened a few items but most of my collection has been packed up for 6 or 7 months now :freak:
[Several years later...] Damn that sucked. I've come to the realization that I have too much stuff. One more thing to hang up (ceiling mount Mattel Rodan) and the room will be complete. Thats for another day. After thought....one project led to another & another etc... I'll take new pics after that is done.
Last edited by Godzilla Vinyl Mania on Sun Sep 13, 2020 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Here're some updated pics of my shelfs. I got all the NECA Gojis I wanted, more vinyls, and added some of my customs to the shelf (the printed tanks and buildings I didn't make, just found and printed):

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

DirektorSplennic wrote:Here're some updated pics of my shelfs. I got all the NECA Gojis I wanted, more vinyls, and added some of my customs to the shelf (the printed tanks and buildings I didn't make, just found and printed):
Very nice Splennic. Just havr paint those printed creations of yours to make them shine.
Resized Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Made some progress over the last few weeks putting together a temporary display space.

Testing a cheap $20 shelf unit. Hated it, it was too cheap.

Painted the walls and trim. Luckily the last owners left some extra touch-up paint and it was enough to do the whole room. The walls were very beat up.

Assembled one shelf. Have another to go. I’m gonna cover the boards in white contact paper for a neater look. The bare particle board is just too “storage shed” looking in person.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

canofhumdingers wrote:Made some progress over the last few weeks putting together a temporary display space.

Testing a cheap $20 shelf unit. Hated it, it was too cheap.

Painted the walls and trim. Luckily the last owners left some extra touch-up paint and it was enough to do the whole room. The walls were very beat up.

Assembled one shelf. Have another to go. I’m gonna cover the boards in white contact paper for a neater look. The bare particle board is just too “storage shed” looking in person.

Home depot/lowes resin plastic shelves are what I use. Varying sizes....looks good imo. They come in white. I use black though. Waiting on my one piece of furniture before posting pics. Otherwise all completed.
Resized Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Yeah these are both from Home Depot. I prefer all white shelves for a clean look, and I VASTLY prefer having everything behind glass. But this will have to do for the time being. I wanted to get some really spacious shelves to accommodate some of my larger items (looks sideways at X-plus Ghidorah). The shelves on this new unit are 4 feet wide and two feet deep. But now that it’s assembled I can’t live with the bare particle board shelf surface, so contact paper will tidy that up.

Someday if the world ever returns to normal I’ll renovate my basement and build full custom display cabinets like I had planned.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

canofhumdingers wrote:Yeah these are both from Home Depot. I prefer all white shelves for a clean look, and I VASTLY prefer having everything behind glass. But this will have to do for the time being. I wanted to get some really spacious shelves to accommodate some of my larger items (looks sideways at X-plus Ghidorah). The shelves on this new unit are 4 feet wide and two feet deep. But now that it’s assembled I can’t live with the bare particle board shelf surface, so contact paper will tidy that up.

Someday if the world ever returns to normal I’ll renovate my basement and build full custom display cabinets like I had planned.
Sounds like a great future display you have in mind. I keep the room door shut which reduces dust dramatically. Even this new room is pretty filled but I like my displayes somewhat spaced. I also ordered a compact loveseat to have a place to sit and enjoy what I have. Should arrive in a week or so to make it complete. Already sweating where to put my preorders from now until at least January. 3 deforeals, boxed reissue aurora glow, reissue shma biollante, neca Kong and just had to get the Ric FSL '56 Rodan.
Last edited by Godzilla Vinyl Mania on Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

It took some trial and error but I managed to get the contact paper on the first unit. It’s not perfect with a few wrinkles here and there, but from a foot or two away none of the flaws are noticeable. I think it looks vastly superior to the raw particle board. Especially in person.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

canofhumdingers wrote:It took some trial and error but I managed to get the contact paper on the first unit. It’s not perfect with a few wrinkles here and there, but from a foot or two away none of the flaws are noticeable. I think it looks vastly superior to the raw particle board. Especially in person.

Yes, much better.
Resized Image

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Got the room all finished with a small seating area now. Some pics from different angles.

Resized Image

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:Got the room all finished with a small seating area now. Some pics from different angles.

Looks good.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Looks like a fun room to pla... erm, sit and chill in! The hanging Mattel Rodan puts it over the top. I love that!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If I had my way and the extra space I'd do a hybrid collection/gaming room. Maybe add a computer setup to try and start doing figure reviews. Hey I can dream can't I?
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:If I had my way and the extra space I'd do a hybrid collection/gaming room. Maybe add a computer setup to try and start doing figure reviews. Hey I can dream can't I?
I agree... a Tv...bigger couch to watch movies, gaming etc.. and the like would be nice all in one. Not complaining though.

Added in 7 minutes 18 seconds:
canofhumdingers wrote:Looks like a fun room to pla... erm, sit and chill in! The hanging Mattel Rodan puts it over the top. I love that!
Yeah, Thx....had to have him in the flying pose. Did in the old room as well and he is a shelf hog to boot. I have a boxed one as well so it needed the respect it deserves. Rodan is a close #2 favorite of mine. My mom even saw the original in the theater as a teenager :)
Resized Image

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:If I had my way and the extra space I'd do a hybrid collection/gaming room. Maybe add a computer setup to try and start doing figure reviews. Hey I can dream can't I?
That’s basically what I had at my old house. It was my display/movie room with a 60inch tv. I really enjoyed having that space. It was a very nice place to relax and chill out.

My plan for the new house is still to do a full home theater (projector and all) in the basement with a custom collection display. I’m still debating whether the collection will be in the home theater itself, or a separate space of its own, but it will all be in the basement.

But all that’s on hold until my industry recovers from the pandemic, which may be a few years yet. So for now I’m putting up more economical shelves in a spare bedroom.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:Got the room all finished with a small seating area now. Some pics from different angles.
When I saw that first picture, I was instantly compelled to put the '54 Godzilla March on and listen to it while I looked through the rest of the pictures... so I did... it's been a long time since I've done anything quite that geeky...

But yes, that's a fantastic setup, one of the coolest I've ever seen. The stacks of boxes and hanging Rodan really do elevate it.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

G1985
Gotengo Officer

Post by G1985 »

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:Got the room all finished with a small seating area now. Some pics from different angles...
Very impressive, although I admit my very first thought upon seeing the pics was "Conclusive evidence that he doesn't own any cats."

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

JAGzilla wrote:
When I saw that first picture, I was instantly compelled to put the '54 Godzilla March on and listen to it while I looked through the rest of the pictures... so I did... it's been a long time since I've done anything quite that geeky...

But yes, that's a fantastic setup, one of the coolest I've ever seen. The stacks of boxes and hanging Rodan really do elevate it.
Thank you. Glad I can inspire your musical score and temporary geekery. That Mattel Rodan is one of my all time favorite Kaiju toys...just had to put a hole in the ceiling for it....a no brainer for me.

Added in 1 minute 9 seconds:
G1985 wrote:
Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:Got the room all finished with a small seating area now. Some pics from different angles...
Very impressive, although I admit my very first thought upon seeing the pics was "Conclusive evidence that he doesn't own any cats."
You are correct but I do have a big dog who knows better not to mess with the collection
Resized Image