Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by godzilla1541 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:So I have this problem, and I never thought to come to the forums to address it.
I bought the new 2018 Mecha King Ghidorah from hlj a few months ago and ever since I got it, the paint has been SUPER greasy. Like when I handle it, I put it down and there will be this greasy film on my hands. Has anyone else had this problem with the figure and is there a way to fix it? Also, are there any other figures I should be wary of that have this problem? I haven't gotten Gigan or any of the Mechagodzillas from hlj yet, and I'm worried that since they have the same metallic paint scheme as Ghidorah, they'll be greasy. Please somebody help me. Thank you.
Was the package left out in the heat at all before you got it? Or do you store it in an area with excessive heat? That might be a reason.
I got it during the summer, but my Mothra Imago and Larva were in the same package and were completely fine. Also I have left it in the same room since I got it and have touched it 4 times since I opened the package (I'm not even joking), and my room is a normal 69-71 degrees. Is there a way to fix the figure? I can't even touch the damn thing.
If you removed the tag you can wash it with soapy water. If the tag was left on use a damp rag to try and clean it while avoiding the tag

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

godzilla1541 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Was the package left out in the heat at all before you got it? Or do you store it in an area with excessive heat? That might be a reason.
I got it during the summer, but my Mothra Imago and Larva were in the same package and were completely fine. Also I have left it in the same room since I got it and have touched it 4 times since I opened the package (I'm not even joking), and my room is a normal 69-71 degrees. Is there a way to fix the figure? I can't even touch the damn thing.
If you removed the tag you can wash it with soapy water. If the tag was left on use a damp rag to try and clean it while avoiding the tag
And that won't remove any paint? And get rid of the greasy feel? If so, thank you so much!

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: I got it during the summer, but my Mothra Imago and Larva were in the same package and were completely fine. Also I have left it in the same room since I got it and have touched it 4 times since I opened the package (I'm not even joking), and my room is a normal 69-71 degrees. Is there a way to fix the figure? I can't even touch the damn thing.
And that won't remove any paint? And get rid of the greasy feel? If so, thank you so much!
It won’t remove any paint as these toys are intended for kids. They are pretty durable so a quick wash will do no harm.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

DirektorSplennic wrote:So I have this problem, and I never thought to come to the forums to address it.
I bought the new 2018 Mecha King Ghidorah from hlj a few months ago and ever since I got it, the paint has been SUPER greasy. Like when I handle it, I put it down and there will be this greasy film on my hands. Has anyone else had this problem with the figure and is there a way to fix it? Also, are there any other figures I should be wary of that have this problem? I haven't gotten Gigan or any of the Mechagodzillas from hlj yet, and I'm worried that since they have the same metallic paint scheme as Ghidorah, they'll be greasy. Please somebody help me. Thank you.
Something may have happened to them in transit, box got left near a heating unit or some such. I have ordered a lot of vinyls from HLJ, and they've all arrived in good shape. I have THAT particular MKG too, and the paint is not greasy at all.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: I got it during the summer, but my Mothra Imago and Larva were in the same package and were completely fine. Also I have left it in the same room since I got it and have touched it 4 times since I opened the package (I'm not even joking), and my room is a normal 69-71 degrees. Is there a way to fix the figure? I can't even touch the damn thing.
Weird.

Sounds like what you probably got was excess mold release agent that seeped out form the vinyl. A light soapy wash with basic dish soap and a soft bristle tooth brush, followed by a good rinse should be fine. Be sure to let dry fully. Don't use any soap with bleach and/or strong chemicals. Just basic ol' dish soap.

As for harming the paint. It shouldn't unless the paint was absolute crap. Usually the stuff they spray on there is like a vinyl paint. Can't remember it off the top of my head, but tl;dr it basically chemically stains the vinyl. Strong stuff. You need some industrial level solvents to get it off. I took some Tamiya Paint Thinner to my Bandai Arch Belial and washed away paint scuffs (bought pre-used) and the paint on Belial was perfectly fine and Tamiya paint thinner is strong stuff. Soapy water is nothing compared to that :P

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

I'm thinking about purchasing the Mothra Imago, as I lack a figure of Mothra altogether (other than the Bandai America's Rainbow Mothra, but that's a different character). My main issue is that there's essentially no paint on the underside of the wings. Would any of you recommend custom painting them?

Also, does anybody know what the quality of the recently reissued Rodan is like? I'm stuck between him and Mothra at the moment. I hope Biollante and Gigan can stay at a reasonable price for two more months...
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

Rodan is nice. Bigger than i thought it would be. Wingspan seems like 10'' or so.

edit: I measured the wings, they're 11.75" from wingtip to wingtip.
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ I thought so. Just got my Gigan and Rodan( tag says Rodan, not Radon )in from HLJ. Both very nice, no greasy paint. They took MKG and AnimeG's place on the shelf...

EDIT: Saw two different vinyl SpaceGodzillas at Amazon US. One was $166, the other $179. I think one - or both - uses the same mold as the upcoming MMS...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Alright boys, I've wanted this figure for literal years, and I finally found him for a good price, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate since it's from Hong Kong. Natsunomeryu is usually much more expensive. Could this be a bootleg? https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRAMAN-MONST ... :rk:2:pf:0

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Alright boys, I've wanted this figure for literal years, and I finally found him for a good price, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate since it's from Hong Kong. Natsunomeryu is usually much more expensive. Could this be a bootleg? https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRAMAN-MONST ... :rk:2:pf:0
While I’m not familiar with this character or figure. Photos of legitimate ones seem to match up perfectly with how this one looks. I’d say take the bite.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

godzilla1541 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:Alright boys, I've wanted this figure for literal years, and I finally found him for a good price, but I'm not sure if it's legitimate since it's from Hong Kong. Natsunomeryu is usually much more expensive. Could this be a bootleg? https://www.ebay.com/itm/ULTRAMAN-MONST ... :rk:2:pf:0
While I’m not familiar with this character or figure. Photos of legitimate ones seem to match up perfectly with how this one looks. I’d say take the bite.
I'm starting to think it's legitimate, but it's got to have something wrong with it warranting that price point right?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

There are no near-exact bootlegs of Ultraman kaiju, so you're safe.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:
I'm starting to think it's legitimate, but it's got to have something wrong with it warranting that price point right?
Probably not. Some people either don’t care about the after market value or just don’t know about it. And as stated above there are no near-exact ultraman bootlegs so you should be good.

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:
This is the re-issue from 2011 or 2012, not the original (more colorful) release from 2005. That's why it is cheaper. But it definitely is no bootleg, it's an official item. Go for it.
Size DOES matter!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Gigan & non-Heavy Arms Kiryu are back up at HLJ in case anyone's interested...

OGMechaMothra
Interpol Agent

Post by OGMechaMothra »

Now that SH Monsterarts has dropped their KOTM figure for the world to see.. I am waiting on NECA and Bandai Japan!!

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

OGMechaMothra wrote:Now that SH Monsterarts has dropped their KOTM figure for the world to see.. I am waiting on NECA and Bandai Japan!!
I'm waiting on vinyls AND gashapons from Bandai Japan! :D

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I just got the Godzilla Planet Eater Ghidorah in Tokyo. I can’t say it’s an amazing figure, but it’s certainly interesting. It’s actually pretty big and there is some detail to it, it’s just not colored much. In this “gloat” way I still think it’s beautiful.

I also picked up the Mothra Larva, which is pretty much a hunk of vinyl but still cool.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I got that Natsunomeryu from that listing I was talking about a while back. Great figure, but there is a tiny problem with it. His leg joints are SUPER loose, to the point where if I have him flat on his feet the joints will start moving and he sags downwards. I have to stand him on his tippy toes for him to not sag downward. How do I tighten vinyl joints?

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:I got that Natsunomeryu from that listing I was talking about a while back. Great figure, but there is a tiny problem with it. His leg joints are SUPER loose, to the point where if I have him flat on his feet the joints will start moving and he sags downwards. I have to stand him on his tippy toes for him to not sag downward. How do I tighten vinyl joints?
Heat them up. They should go back to their normal shape. It’s either the joint or the sockets that are misshaped