Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Re: Official Bandai (Japan) Thread 2.0

Post by Stump Feet »

The face sculpt is a huge difference for one
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

_JNavs_ wrote:Whatever happened to the Bandai Creations 55 Anguirus and Mecha King G from a long while back?

Vinyl GMK? Ive never seen that. Looks nice!

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Whatever happened to the Bandai Creations 55 Anguirus and Mecha King G from a long while back?

Vinyl GMK? Ive never seen that
What really? Bandai America released that back in the early 2000’s, I use to have one myself

The 6 inch line use to consist of-

Godzilla 1954 v1, 1968, 2000, 2001, 2004 And Burning

Destroyah

Rainbow Mothra

Spacegodzilla

Hedorah

Mechagodzilla 1993

Gigan 1973

Anguirus 2004

Rodan 2004

King Ghidorah 2001
Last edited by Stump Feet on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Long Live The Sting

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

No I didn't know. I have all those vinyls except for GMK and Hedorah.

I guess the hunt begins.

Thanks

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Rip my Angurius, Destroyah and Ghidorah that I got when I was five and are noticeably damaged.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:How similar are the MMS and Bandai America Showa Gigans?
MMS is much more accurate in sculpt. I have the Memorial Box version, which has a beautiful gold and black paint job, with a black (would you call it a wash?) in between some of his crevices for added flair. The new MMS doesn't have the nice wash, but the green is very nice and accurate. The MMS also has far superior dorsal fins. The BC's look soft and undetailed.
UltramanGoji wrote:I actually disagree on the fins, at least when it comes to shape. The BA version is much closer to the original suit than the MMS version which looks much smaller. Detail-wise, the MMS wins though.
This is a late response, but since my own MMS Bandai just arrived, I thought I'd pitch in. I'm with DirektorSplennic; the MMS is generally better, despite being a much older sculpt. Although the Bandai Creations has some nice texturing, the overall proportions are rather dumpy and short. The MMS vinyl is light on some details, but it captures the silhouette of the monster better, in my opinion.
...Then again, the BC does bear a certain resemblance to the 1973 suit, so your mileage may vary.

Image Image
2004Zilla wrote:

Never to be released, because Bandai America hates the concept of putting out new product.
More accurately, as Chriss55 has explained in the past from his interviews with the company staff, those prototypes just don't seem to even exist anymore - they vanished. Some time around 2012/2013(?), most of the staff completely changed, so literally no one at the company now seems to know about those sculpts.
They're gone, guys; I'm sad too.
Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:Vinyl GMK? Ive never seen that. Looks nice!
...Not that nice. Granted, I never owned it myself, but it's a pretty cheap representation of the 2001 suit. You're better off getting the NECA figure, or spending a little more on the great 8" figure.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Things get real f***y when you realize they made a brand new Biollante out of nowhere, an updated Destoroyah sculpt, and an updated Mothra larva sculpt, but the rest are all repaints. Why update those two? Where did you get the initiative to make a Biollante, a figure that hasn't been present in the vinyl line since 1993 (I think it's 93). What the hell is their plan? Literally anything could be next.
In all fairness, Godzilla vs Biollante has apparently had a renaissance in popularity in recent years, and Destroyah still seems to be a favorite, too; so Bandai probably considered those two titular monsters to be affordable risks for new sculpts. Mothra Larva, though, I'm less sure about.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Thought it was interesting Legendary would have a bootleg Godzilla figure in their office.

I'd just assume somebody there didn't know better. Maybe they SHOULD have, but they didn't.
Or they liked it too much to care. :lol:

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

I use to have the Bandai America Gigan in the early 2000’s, wish I still had it but I’m pleased with my MMS Gigan, it’ one of my favorite figures as of right now
Long Live The Sting

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

Honestly? I'd be totally up for a vinyl of G98, I know it's super unlikely- even more so because of his frail body plan- but it could be interesting.

As for the Destoroyah, I'm not sure. It's less articulated, the paint is worse...but It does have a charm to it.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Thegarbagemonster wrote:Honestly? I'd be totally up for a vinyl of G98, I know it's super unlikely- even more so because of his frail body plan- but it could be interesting.

As for the Destoroyah, I'm not sure. It's less articulated, the paint is worse...but It does have a charm to it.
That would be nice, or even a Zilla figure. The design would be a nice addition on my shelf.
It's worth noting that there was a recent deformed vinyl figure of 98, so it's not impossible.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Just saw this from facebook!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

More details:
https://twitter.com/resurrectiongoj/sta ... 12960?s=20

- Webshop Premium
- Sold only in a set of three

Unfortunate pass for me. Don’t care about the variants.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

UltramanGoji wrote:More details:
https://twitter.com/resurrectiongoj/sta ... 12960?s=20

- Webshop Premium
- Sold only in a set of three

Unfortunate pass for me. Don’t care about the variants.
Set of two. You have to mix them together to make the third one. Or at least that’s what Google translate leads me to believe

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'll pick it up, worst case I just sell the lobby card varient and make a good chunk of change back

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Wow. An updated Bandai vinyl Showa Ghidorah is something I’ve wanted for years. And offering all three color variants is even cooler! But now that it’s finally happening, I don’t know that I care that much, which feels weird. I just got the amazing X-plus ‘64 Ghidorah and now there’s that surprisingly cool monsterarts style bootleg. There used to be a huge dearth of decent showa style Ghidorahs for collectors to choose from and now in a short time we’ve gone full 180 to a near embarrassment of riches.

And yet, part of me still really wants to get this set. Partly because I wanted this exact thing for so many years and never got it, but also largely due to the cool pre-production color options.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Pretty cool, but not do-able for me right now...

Petezilla
Gotengo Officer

Post by Petezilla »

Those suckers are 24 cm tall...! :shock:
Most likely that means up to the wing tips, though.

And BANDAI is still a b*tch, since they only put in 3 loose white-eyed rainbow color heads to create the "lobby card" version by mixing up the standard versions body with the poster version's wings. So if you want all 3 variants displayed, you need to buy 2 sets... :roll:

However, it's nice that the Kaiju Bangaichi line (or what exactly it is supposed to translate to) isn't dead after all. Just veeeeery slow paced. With like a year between items... :lol:
Size DOES matter!

MoK 13
GPN Volunteer

Post by MoK 13 »

Want, want, but with buying service and shipping probably over$200.

Spoke to soon. Awesome collector has them up for preorder $170. https://awesomecollector.com/collection ... figure-set

Pre-ordered! Now need to find a good 65 vinyl!
Last edited by MoK 13 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Godzilla Vs Megalon was my first in 1976, Damn I'm old.

We might get vaporized along with this base before long. Let’s just relax and have some coffee

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I'm gonna get this, it'll be a nice Xmas gift to myself.

I'll let everyone know how it is in person.

Edit:
What store do I buy it on?
https://www.bandai.co.jp/catalog/search ... t=z#result

Here?

Or on the Godzilla store?
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GFAN198423
Xilien Halfling

Post by GFAN198423 »

The good news is, Bandai loves to reuse molds so there's likely to be a standard paint release in the future once they sell out the 3 pack. I don't want the other 2 nor do I want to gamble recouping my expense selling them on eBay and keeping what I want, but nice to see Showa Ghidorah getting some love.

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

I mentioned a couple weeks ago I think that my Gigan arrived, got bored and decided to do a bit of a sloppy edit- here she is

Last edited by Orichalcum on Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*