General Gashapon/Small Figurine Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: POST YOUR GASHAPONS !!!

Post by MandaSaurus »

I got my HLJ shipment yesterday, including my box of gashapons. Yes, the ratio is the same as the guy's on YT, one G2018 translucent blue, one G2004( Ratzilla ), two of all the others. Fine with me, as I'm not a big fan of those two designs. Currently, HLJ is sold out of that assortment now...

EDIT: Damn. The G2004 is going for $25 on Amazon US... :shock:
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Sun Nov 25, 2018 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I still love the fact that this is the only major figure thread that doesn't have a formal-ish title

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

ROMG4 wrote:I still love the fact that this is the only major figure thread that doesn't have a formal-ish title
Well, someone COULD change it...

HLJ now lists Godzilla Shingeki Taizen #2 as 'discontinued'. Those 10-count boxes don't hang around long. I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for Godzilla Shingeki Taizen #3 in 2019...( EDIT: As of 12/7/18, Shingeki Taizen #2 is back in stock )

EDIT: Someone suggested Daikaiju Showcase for gashapons. Well, that may have been true in the past, but I was there recently, and EVERY gashapon I clicked on was 'sold out'. Amazon US has a fair amount, but their prices are ridiculous. Best source I could find was eBay - decent selection and fair prices...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tyrannicus
Yojimbo

Post by Tyrannicus »

I just got into collecting the High Grade gashapons, and they're great!

I've been trying to find out what other lines might have kaiju that haven't been done in the High Grade line, which would be a close size match.

Does anyone know how any of these scale compared to High Grade?:
-Iwakura blind boxes
-Iwakura/Cast Ornaments
-Godzilla Mini Battle G
-Art Works Collection
-Super Chronicles

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

The iwakura stuff generally scales quite well with the Bandai HG sets. Sometimes it might be a smidge bigger than the Bandai stuff, but not terribly so.

Found this photo via google. It’s the iwakura Gigan with Bandai hg figures.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

canofhumdingers wrote:The iwakura stuff generally scales quite well with the Bandai HG sets. Sometimes it might be a smidge bigger than the Bandai stuff, but not terribly so.

Found this photo via google. It’s the iwakura Gigan with Bandai hg figures.

My problem is that I want the Gabara and Gigan, but I can’t find them anywhere!
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Well, uh. Gabara isn't a gashapon...
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

LamangoKaijura wrote:Well, uh. Gabara isn't a gashapon...
I was referring to the Iwakura Gabara.
-Dr. Asimov

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
LamangoKaijura wrote:Well, uh. Gabara isn't a gashapon...
I was referring to the Iwakura Gabara.
Ah shit, you're in for a hunt then. MM probably snagged the last one.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Tyrannicus
Yojimbo

Post by Tyrannicus »

Wow that Iwakura Gigan is a perfect fit! Thanks! I'll definitely have to look into getting some of those to complement my HGs.

Ironically, the Iwakura I want the most isn't even a kaiju - the Fire Dragon. I always wanted to own one of Toho's flying saucer designs.

Added in 7 days 19 hours 30 minutes 46 seconds:
Here's my rapidly growing collection of High Grade and related figures: http://snupp.it/cJ8sfx

What is everyone's opinion on the best High Grade release of Godzilla 54 and Shin Godzilla Form 4? I see that the current High Grade D+ set includes both of those, bringing it up to 4 versions of 54 and 3 versions of Shin Form 4 to choose from.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Here's a quick breakdown of the differences of the Godzilla's you mentioned:

Godzilla 1954- HG 3 is the smallest of the 4 and if the get the reissue from Hg Chronicle 1, it has a new head sculpt (here's a link to the pic I took: https://ibb.co/c83WfSg) Left one is the HG3 and right is HG Chronicle 1. The one from HG Tsuburaya is a decent weight but has a little artistic flair with the metallic dorsal plates. It was also reissued in HG Chronicle 1 without the metallic paint. I don't particularly care for the HG Shin Godzilla set version as the arms and ears feel a bit off for me. Lastly, I haven't got the HG D+ one yet as I'm not sold on the diorama aspect Bandai is going with, maybe one day I'll get the set.

Shin Godzilla Form 4- The Shin from HG Shin Godzilla has an interesting paint scheme with the red visible throughout but I don't think its the best sculpt. The version from the HG Shin 2 set has interchangeable mouth pieces and translucent spines, both very nice details. Also that sculpt was reused in the HG Shin Climax set as the maquette color version and the Frozen version (with new sculpt for the end of the tail with the 5th form emerging). See above for HG D+ version.

Personally, if I had to pick one, I like the HG Tsuburaya - Godzilla 1954 and the HG Shin Godzilla 2 - Shin Godzilla (and the Frozen ver. from Climax for the tail).
Godzilla & Gamera High Grade (gashapon) collector.
Looking for: spare High Grade insert papers (various sets)

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

The D+ Shin Form 4 is terrible. It’s in a really weird pose and has pretty sloppy paint. The 1954, on the other hand, looks like one of the best versions yet. Really well detailed.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Dr. Asimov

Tyrannicus
Yojimbo

Post by Tyrannicus »

Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'll go with the Tsubaraya 54 and Shin 2 form 4 figures.

Can anyone recommend a good Showa Mothra that fits in nicely with the High Grade figures? Larva and Imago if there are any good ones.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

I didn't see this posted anywhere, so for all the gashapon fans out there:

For those who were upset the HG D+ set didn't include Mothra or Rodan and instead included ANOTHER Shin Godzilla, we will finally be getting them released sometime in November: https://www.godzilla-movies.com/topic/49016

I'm pretty happy with the pics so far, I'm glad they included a Mothra larva, however they may as well have added one of the other titans (Behemoth or Scylla) to make it a set of 4 like the previous 4 sets. Also, Bandai maybe should have just called it D+ 02 instead of the D+ EX moniker. Can't wait to spend some time fixing Mothra's wings from being in the capsule (just like King Ghidorah's...)

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

darkcancer wrote:I didn't see this posted anywhere, so for all the gashapon fans out there:

For those who were upset the HG D+ set didn't include Mothra or Rodan and instead included ANOTHER Shin Godzilla, we will finally be getting them released sometime in November: https://www.godzilla-movies.com/topic/49016

I'm pretty happy with the pics so far, I'm glad they included a Mothra larva, however they may as well have added one of the other titans (Behemoth or Scylla) to make it a set of 4 like the previous 4 sets. Also, Bandai maybe should have just called it D+ 02 instead of the D+ EX moniker. Can't wait to spend some time fixing Mothra's wings from being in the capsule (just like King Ghidorah's...)
Sweet, thanks for the info, I’ll be sure to grab them.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Godzilla versus Kong gets the same treatment, and maybe after that we might get a behemoth gashapon.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

I lucked out during a "flyby" of HLJ, and snagged CHODO Ultraman Vol.4 Box of 10. $43 & change. I wanted that box ever since I first saw it on Bandai's Candy Toy site! Hayata Ultraman, Anime Ultraman, Zetton, and the 3 construction sets make the original Science Patrol HQ! How cool is that?

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if Godzilla versus Kong gets the same treatment, and maybe after that we might get a behemoth gashapon.
I did see a listing on yahoo!auctions japan with a description of "D+ 02" than included a Godzilla 89, Rose Biollante, Hedorah, and MechaGodzilla (unknown which one) as a prerelease for November 2019 but no pictures with it, so I'm not 100% sold thats real. If it is, I really like the Rose Biollante but I hope they don't start remaking a bunch of the HGs from the 1994-2006 run.
MandaSaurus wrote: Hayata Ultraman, Anime Ultraman, Zetton, and the 3 construction sets make the original Science Patrol HQ! How cool is that?
Sounds like a nice haul, wouldn't mind seeing some pics after you get them.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

darkcancer wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if Godzilla versus Kong gets the same treatment, and maybe after that we might get a behemoth gashapon.
I did see a listing on yahoo!auctions japan with a description of "D+ 02" than included a Godzilla 89, Rose Biollante, Hedorah, and MechaGodzilla (unknown which one) as a prerelease for November 2019 but no pictures with it, so I'm not 100% sold thats real. If it is, I really like the Rose Biollante but I hope they don't start remaking a bunch of the HGs from the 1994-2006 run.
Found it! They're unpainted prototypes, but the sculpts look great!
-Dr. Asimov

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Gojirawars 03 wrote:
darkcancer wrote:
Found it! They're unpainted prototypes, but the sculpts look great!
Awesome! These look fantastic! Finally glad that Rose Biollante gets some love, and that we now have a gashapon of Hedorah as well. Despite another Kiryu related figure, I appreciate how dynamic it is!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darkcancer
Monarch Researcher

Post by darkcancer »

Wow nice find on the pic! Guess November will be a good month for gashapons.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:and that we now have a gashapon of Hedorah as well. Despite another Kiryu related figure, I appreciate how dynamic it is!
Actually, Hedorah had an HG release in HG Chronicle 3 back in 2006, it was the only new figure in the set with the other 7 being reissues (including a really cool semi-transparent Destroyah HG 2 sculpt). Also, I couldn't agree more with the Kiryu sculpt, its a nice change of pace.
Last edited by darkcancer on Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.