Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by Godzilla Vinyl Mania »

DirektorSplennic wrote:Looks awesome man! Which printer did you decide to get again?
Qidi X-maker. Enclosed type 170mm x150mm x150mm. Not a real big print bed but really large things are printed in pieces anyway. Good print quality and nice features.
Last edited by Godzilla Vinyl Mania on Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I sculpted this Mothra miniature for my game:
The camera didn't really want to pick up some of the pattern lines.
Her legs also didn't print that well, but with little filament I have left I'm pretty happy with it. I was really doubting myself if I could get the look of her wings right, and I think I did a pretty good job.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

DirektorSplennic wrote:I sculpted this Mothra miniature for my game:
Her legs also didn't print that well, but with little filament I have left I'm pretty happy with it. I was really doubting myself if I could get the look of her wings right, and I think I did a pretty good job.
Cranking those out nicely Splennic. I keep bouncing around programs until I find one that gets me good model sculpting and easy to use. Blebder was too difficult for me to start out with. Tinkercad is too geometric. Gonna try MOI next.
Resized Image
Wish I had 2 of each toy as a kid....1 to play with and 1 kept mint in the box!!

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I sculpted this Mothra miniature for my game:
Cranking those out nicely Splennic. I keep bouncing around programs until I find one that gets me good model sculpting and easy to use. Blebder was too difficult for me to start out with. Tinkercad is too geometric. Gonna try MOI next.
Yeah Tinkercad is more something for hard surface modelling. Say you wanted to make a maser tank, Tinkercad would be pretty good for that.

Added in 2 days 1 hour 16 minutes 45 seconds:
This one I'm actually really proud of. I recently finished Netflix's Ultraman series (It was fine. Animation itself was abysmal though.) and one of my favorite designs was the new Bemular character. So I took the design from the manga and the original Bemular design and created this monstrosity:

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

HOLY SHIT THAT'S CREEPY
Pretty cool, Junji Ito's Bemular.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

I have finished the sculpt for the next figure in my 6 inch line. I've been excited to show you guys this one since a lot of users here love him. I also want to thank all you guys for the kind words and feedback whenever I post a sculpt, it means a lot.

Now, put your floppy ears together for...

Baragon!

Godzilla Vinyl Mania
G-Force Personnel

DirektorSplennic wrote:I have finished the sculpt for the next figure in my 6 inch line. I've been excited to show you guys this one since a lot of users here love him. I also want to thank all you guys for the kind words and feedback whenever I post a sculpt, it means a lot.

Now, put your floppy ears together for...

Baragon!
Always impressive Direktor. You nailed it with Baragon. Would love to start designing my own soon. Got a bunch of PLA filament in recently too.
Resized Image

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

I think the brow needs a little bit of an adjustment just to make it spot on but it looks great regardless
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

PopInPicsPresents wrote:I think the brow needs a little bit of an adjustment just to make it spot on but it looks great regardless
I agree. The issue is I started out using the 68 suit as reference, but noticed how different it was to the 65 suit, so I panicked and switched references. So the end result is something that is supposed to look like the 65 suit but has some features that resemble the 68 suit.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

DirektorSplennic wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:I think the brow needs a little bit of an adjustment just to make it spot on but it looks great regardless
I agree. The issue is I started out using the 68 suit as reference, but noticed how different it was to the 65 suit, so I panicked and switched references. So the end result is something that is supposed to look like the 65 suit but has some features that resemble the 68 suit.
Ahh gotchu, honestly to me he just looks angry haha I didn't really notice the difference between the two suits til you said something
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Custom Figure: NECA GODZILLA 1984. The reissue of NECA’s 1985 figure is far better than the original. But there where still issues I wanted to fix. I did some resculpting on the head, made the chest a bit more puffed out, I swapped the lower legs and feet with the 1994 NECA figure, the hands and tail are from my SHMA Birth Ver which broke while i was making this guy, and I fully repainted the entire figure. ImageImageImagecomparison with the original. ImageImageImageImage

Sachiel
Monarch Researcher

Post by Sachiel »

Yeah that looks WAY better than the original. Dear god, I wish the sculptors at NECA would do better at Godzilla sculpting accuracy. I mean these fixes you did are things that Godzilla 1985 2.0 should have had right off the bat. It irks me a bit that they didn't give it a proofed up chest and didn't bother to do the feet swap

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Damn that looks nice. Almost makes me want to sculpt a Godzilla.

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

You did a great job on that man, but God I hate that head sculpt. Totally kills the figure for me, NECA really dropped the ball there.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Mama Birdon is bae

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

It's incredible that this has practically turned into a 3D modelling thread with the 3D printing being done here. I've been planning on doing the same thing. I have quite a few models I'm working on at the moment, including a Godzilla design of my own. Once I can set up my 3D printer again, I'll be able to start really testing the practicality of them.

My main goal is to go for highly accurate sculpts. I've now done the heads for the first 3 Godzilla suits.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:It's incredible that this has practically turned into a 3D modelling thread with the 3D printing being done here. I've been planning on doing the same thing. I have quite a few models I'm working on at the moment, including a Godzilla design of my own. Once I can set up my 3D printer again, I'll be able to start really testing the practicality of them.

My main goal is to go for highly accurate sculpts. I've now done the heads for the first 3 Godzilla suits.
I would very much like to see. What program do you use.

MegaEvilSaurus666
G-Force Personnel

Post by MegaEvilSaurus666 »

DirektorSplennic wrote:
MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:It's incredible that this has practically turned into a 3D modelling thread with the 3D printing being done here. I've been planning on doing the same thing. I have quite a few models I'm working on at the moment, including a Godzilla design of my own. Once I can set up my 3D printer again, I'll be able to start really testing the practicality of them.

Currently, I don't have the same patience that I used have to in order to really utilize Blender on my computer (I might be in need of a better graphics card too), so I use Sculptris. It's not the best program ever, and my models aren't too amazing because I hold back on detail, but it's serviceable. I'm trying to think of a good way to share some images of the models. I have them on Instagram, but it's my personal account and all.
I'd change my username if I had the chance. It's a typo. It's supposed to be "66," and it's a very unfortunate thing to have on my account. Please help. :lol:

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

MegaEvilSaurus666 wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:

Currently, I don't have the same patience that I used have to in order to really utilize Blender on my computer (I might be in need of a better graphics card too), so I use Sculptris. It's not the best program ever, and my models aren't too amazing because I hold back on detail, but it's serviceable. I'm trying to think of a good way to share some images of the models. I have them on Instagram, but it's my personal account and all.
Use the snipping tool on your computer and take a screenshot. Then post them to Imgur and link them here. That's what I do.

Added in 12 hours 12 minutes 53 seconds:
Fellow TK users. I come for advice.

I feel the time is near for me being able to accept commissions. There are a few things I need to sort out. One of those being the copyright of existing monsters. Say I made a figure of good ol' Baragon. The sculpt belongs to me since I made it from scratch. Would the only issue be calling the figure "Baragon"? If so, does that mean I could sell Baragons without the (very unlikely) event of getting in some sort of copyright trouble?

Added in 39 minutes 55 seconds:
Also here's my tiny crawling Baragon:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

DirektorSplennic wrote: I feel the time is near for me being able to accept commissions. There are a few things I need to sort out. One of those being the copyright of existing monsters. Say I made a figure of good ol' Baragon. The sculpt belongs to me since I made it from scratch. Would the only issue be calling the figure "Baragon"? If so, does that mean I could sell Baragons without the (very unlikely) event of getting in some sort of copyright trouble?
Not sure the specifics with kaiju stuff but for unofficial Transformers the general "rules" are:

- Not based off pre-existing engineering
- Isn't named using an existing trademark

So if you produce it under the name "Subterranean Dinosaur" you should be fine? But that's for massive manufacturers not small little hand-made things. I still think it would be safe to do so, the worst you'll get is a cease-and-desist from Toho.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

UltramanGoji wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote: I feel the time is near for me being able to accept commissions. There are a few things I need to sort out. One of those being the copyright of existing monsters. Say I made a figure of good ol' Baragon. The sculpt belongs to me since I made it from scratch. Would the only issue be calling the figure "Baragon"? If so, does that mean I could sell Baragons without the (very unlikely) event of getting in some sort of copyright trouble?
Not sure the specifics with kaiju stuff but for unofficial Transformers the general "rules" are:

- Not based off pre-existing engineering
- Isn't named using an existing trademark

So if you produce it under the name "Subterranean Dinosaur" you should be fine? But that's for massive manufacturers not small little hand-made things. I still think it would be safe to do so, the worst you'll get is a cease-and-desist from Toho.
I do kinda like the idea of calling Baragon "Underground Diggy Monster" or Gorosaurus "Karate Kick Dinosaur" :lol:

Thanks for the help with your 3rd party Transformers knowledge.

Added in 4 hours 42 minutes 13 seconds:
I did a little experiment with Baragon. I copied the model and re-sculpted the head to turn him into Pagos. I even added the little fin things on his arms:
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Wed May 13, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.