Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
VazeroK
Ronin

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by VazeroK »

I made this one recently. Ended up selling it.
http://www.figurerealm.com/customfigure ... w&id=93425

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

VazeroK wrote:I made this one recently. Ended up selling it.
Oooooh - me likey. Dunno why you seamed the shoulder though - I'll assume aesthetic. Still though, looks pretty good! Hopefully it went to a good home~

How did you go about painting the joints and disassembly btw? Been wanting to customize the NECA for a while now and i've been wanting to paint over the hinge joints but i'm afraid of paint getting into the cracks. I heard some people just paint over it via air brush and it works itself out.

VazeroK
Ronin

Post by VazeroK »

SpaceG92 wrote:
VazeroK wrote:I made this one recently. Ended up selling it.
Oooooh - me likey. Dunno why you seamed the shoulder though - I'll assume aesthetic. Still though, looks pretty good! Hopefully it went to a good home~

How did you go about painting the joints and disassembly btw? Been wanting to customize the NECA for a while now and i've been wanting to paint over the hinge joints but i'm afraid of paint getting into the cracks. I heard some people just paint over it via air brush and it works itself out.
Thanks! I had to putty over the shoulders because the GMK arms seemed a bit bulbous without it.
As for the joints, I would just paint them over in all positions with enough paint so it would leak through into the seams. This was all done with dry brushing Tamiya acrylic. Disassembly and reassembly was done with a hair dryer. Just keep it going on each part until it become soft enough to remove.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Made a Shin Godzilla form 3 and form 1 out of hot glue(because I’m a cheap fuck) to go with the little 3 in Form 2 I just got. And now I have all the forms in my collection Image Image Image Image

TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheRadness »

Painted some buildings recently, happy with em!

https://instagram.com/p/Beghwxwh0AJ/

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

TheRadness wrote:Painted some buildings recently, happy with em!

Indeed! I like the result as well. The use of gunmetal on the windows is a nice touch (or silver?) looks silver lol. The matte black is a good touch as well.
godzilla1541 wrote:Made a Shin Godzilla form 3 and form 1 out of hot glue(because I’m a cheap fuck) to go with the little 3 in Form 2 I just got. And now I have all the forms in my collection ]
Mmmm - not really feeling these. A for effort, but you could have bought the Bandai forms and the Gashapon (should be in scale) for probably about the same.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:Made a Shin Godzilla form 3 and form 1 out of hot glue(because I’m a cheap fuck) to go with the little 3 in Form 2 I just got. And now I have all the forms in my collection ]
Mmmm - not really feeling these. A for effort, but you could have bought the Bandai forms and the Gashapon (should be in scale) for probably about the same.
Gashapon is a little two small for my taste and there are no form 3 Figures that would scale well with the Neca Shin. This is one of the only representations of a character that I truly care about with the scaling.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

godzilla1541 wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:Made a Shin Godzilla form 3 and form 1 out of hot glue(because I’m a cheap skreeonk) to go with the little 3 in Form 2 I just got. And now I have all the forms in my collection ]
Gashapon is a little two small for my taste and there are no form 3 Figures that would scale well with the Neca Shin. This is one of the only representations of a character that I truly care about with the scaling.
The Gasaphon Form 3 actually would scale well with the NECA.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheRadness »

SpaceG92 wrote:
TheRadness wrote:Painted some buildings recently, happy with em!

Indeed! I like the result as well. The use of gunmetal on the windows is a nice touch (or silver?) looks silver lol. The matte black is a good touch as
Thanks!
It is silver, this is the kaiju body and paint method. Check him out if ya haven’t!

https://www.instagram.com/kaiju_body_and_paint

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Custom Bandai Creations King Caesar

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

godzilla1541 wrote:Custom Bandai Creations King Caesar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWdj4ZMebkU
Points docked for not using King Caesar's song

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

godzilla1541 wrote:Custom Bandai Creations King Caesar [youttch?v=eWdj4ZMebkU[/youtube]
Cool work.
What are you using as balljoints?

Added in 4 minutes 46 seconds:
Also, I'm starting a Hedorah custom project using a Marvel Legends generic body as my base, I'll post some updates in a few days.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Destorogoji wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:Custom Bandai Creations King Caesar [youttch?v=eWdj4ZMebkU[/youtube]
Cool work.
What are you using as balljoints?
IIRC Bionicle pieces.
Destorogoji wrote:Also, I'm starting a Hedorah custom project using a Marvel Legends generic body as my base, I'll post some updates in a few days.
Eh? Curious to see how you go about doing that. Pictures of the progress as you do it to help out others :P ?
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

SpaceG92 wrote:IIRC Bionicle pieces.
Thanks! I'm sure that will help me eventually.
SpaceG92 wrote:Eh? Curious to see how you go about doing that. Pictures of the progress as you do it to help out others :P ?
Sure! I will keep you guys updated.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Destorogoji wrote:
SpaceG92 wrote:IIRC Bionicle pieces.
Thanks! I'm sure that will help me eventually.
SpaceG92 wrote:Eh? Curious to see how you go about doing that. Pictures of the progress as you do it to help out others :P ?
Sure! I will keep you guys updated.
;)

Now that I have a stable job again - I might get back into the custom figure game. That's been on my wishlist for a bit. :D

Added in 14 minutes 28 seconds:
VazeroK wrote:As for the joints, I would just paint them over in all positions with enough paint so it would leak through into the seams. This was all done with dry brushing Tamiya acrylic. Disassembly and reassembly was done with a hair dryer. Just keep it going on each part until it become soft enough to remove.
Legit Legit

I'm planning on painting via Airbrush - and atomized paint is different then liquid :P Just worried about chipping in the hinge joints...I don't think it would be an issue. If its a tight fit, I could just sand the inbetween a tad to create a bigger gap. Takes some effort but I guess it could be done.

Say what you may about Deadzilla but that Kiryu is some decent work.

5:40 in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHoMCZed-s

Just straight up jammed a Mc Farlin Spartan in there. I mean - it's not the first time someone has done that with a Mc Farlin. Apparently, they are favored well in the customizer fan base. Been thinking about doing the same or just doing something similar to what 1541 did and filling the hollow vinyl with xx material (expanding foam) and installing the joints myself. That been my endgame for a while now and now I can actually afford to make a mistake....or 2. I think I can finally attempt this.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

SpaceG92 wrote: Say what you may about Deadzilla but that Kiryu is some decent work.

5:40 in
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jHoMCZed-s

Just straight up jammed a Mc Farlin Spartan in there. I mean - it's not the first time someone has done that with a Mc Farlin. Apparently, they are favored well in the customizer fan base. Been thinking about doing the same or just doing something similar to what 1541 did and filling the hollow vinyl with xx material (expanding foam) and installing the joints myself. That been my endgame for a while now and now I can actually afford to make a mistake....or 2. I think I can finally attempt this.
I’ve seen that video many times and it’s what got me interested in adding joints to mostly static figures.

I think filling in empty spaces and adding joints from there is easier than trying to fit it over an already existing figure. Me being cheap I decided to use the least costly things available to me, which where old hero factory sets and some hot glue. In the future I hope to obtain some revoltech joints and use those instead. But you being older and having access to money, can probably add joints much better than me.

So for my next custom I’m gonna try and save up to get the Neca 84 and the bootleg Bandai 84 for a pretty obvious custom. A more accurate Neca 1984! I was gonna do it with the Neca 84 and 94 but I realized that the bootleg will probably have more accurate spines and details that I could use. I probably won’t be able to actually do this for like a month as the Neca 84 is hard to get for cheap, and the bootleg is also kinda expensive(well to me at least) and I don’t have the money at the moment. But I do want to do that custom eventually.

Added in 55 seconds:
SpaceG92 wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:Custom Bandai Creations King Caesar https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWdj4ZMebkU
Points docked for not using King Caesar's song
FUCK. I totally forgot.
Last edited by godzilla1541 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

godzilla1541 wrote:So for my next custom I’m gonna try and save up to get the Neca 84 and the bootleg Bandai 84 for a pretty obvious custom. A more accurate Neca 1984! I was gonna do it with the Neca 84 and 94 but I realized that the bootleg will probably have more accurate spines and details that I could use. I probably won’t be able to actually do this for like a month as the Neca 84 is hard to get for cheap, and the bootleg is also kinda expensive(well to me at least) and I don’t have the money at the moment. But I do want to do that custom eventually.
Not gunna blame yah. The bootleg did go up in price. At one point it was around 16 bucks. I'm also pretty sure the entirety of the fan base will crucify you for cannibalizing a memorial box figure. At that point it might be cheaper to recast one - if you play your cards right and really play those Hobby Lobby coupons.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
godzilla1541 wrote:So for my next custom I’m gonna try and save up to get the Neca 84 and the bootleg Bandai 84 for a pretty obvious custom. A more accurate Neca 1984! I was gonna do it with the Neca 84 and 94 but I realized that the bootleg will probably have more accurate spines and details that I could use. I probably won’t be able to actually do this for like a month as the Neca 84 is hard to get for cheap, and the bootleg is also kinda expensive(well to me at least) and I don’t have the money at the moment. But I do want to do that custom eventually.
Not gunna blame yah. The bootleg did go up in price. At one point it was around 16 bucks. I'm also pretty sure the entirety of the fan base will crucify you for cannibalizing a memorial box figure. At that point it might be cheaper to recast one - if you play your cards right and really play those Hobby Lobby coupons.
Theres the pink spine variant on eBay for around $30 so I’m hoping to score that one. I’m gonna get it for the hands, arms, spines,feet,(basically the problem spots on the Neca ), and Maybe some parts of the tail.Also. It’s a bootleg I don’t think anyone is gonna care if I cut it up. People on my instagram already know what’s up when they see my figures getting cut apart anyway :P

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

My custom Hedorah it's done! I'll leave a link for the process and a few pics. There are things I would like to upgrade eventually, but for now, I'm very happy with how it turned out, specially with the eyes.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Be624f8H1MA/

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

So I lied about the 84 being my next custom. Custom Bandai Japan MechaGodzilla 75 basically the SHMA but with more range in the joints. It only lacks neck, feet articulation and an crunch