Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

Seriously guys, it’s not like he’s cutting up extremely rare, one-of-a-kind figures. He paid for them, so he can do whatever he wants with them.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Kinggoji1962 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:I also feel like you'll regret ALL of this when you're older. I know that sounds so condescending but I don't mean it that way. Repainting a duplicate figure is one thing, but completely cutting up a figure that's not exactly on the cheap just for the sake of articulation is something I genuinely think you'll wish you didn't do in like 10 years.
Except 2004 is like 20 bucks
That was a poor assumption on my part. Since all the other vinyls from that release time are expensive, I assumed he would be too. I've had my 2004 since 2004 so I just assumed he would be stupid expensive.

Added in 1 minute 52 seconds:
godzilla1541 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:A lot of the joints look so sloppy. There’s hot glue everywhere and the vinyl flakes aren’t sanded, making it look extremely poor.

I feel like you rush through most of these customs and that they’d benefit from a lot of patience.
I have actually been talking my time on this one. Everything gets cleaned up after the joints are in place, and some of the joints have been changed since that photo was taken. After I’m done attaching the articulation I do cosmetic changes. IE cleaning up hot glue strands, and making sure everything looks like it should, then I repaint it.

Added in 6 minutes 19 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:I also feel like you'll regret ALL of this when you're older. I know that sounds so condescending but I don't mean it that way. Repainting a duplicate figure is one thing, but completely cutting up a figure that's not exactly on the cheap just for the sake of articulation is something I genuinely think you'll wish you didn't do in like 10 years.
I’ve mostly customized figures of monsters that don’t have articulated figures yet. I’d say MG75 is the only one I will probably regret, and every other figure I have customized is currently readily available in amazon for under $30

Added in 4 minutes 51 seconds:
Speaking of My MG75. I recently repainted it Image
No, I get you. And hey, seriously, you do you. I loved what you did with Frozen Shin. I'm not even remotely trying to tell you you're wrong for doing what you want with your figures. Apologies if it came across that way.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

That's actually not bad at all. You're getting better with each one.

You should really consider recording a "How I do" video. Not necessary a "How To" but a "This is how I do this" type of video.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, that definitely looks a lot better than the initial waist-up shot I first saw. Good work.

Also that MG75 looks spectacular.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Here’s some better photos of my MG75, GMK Ghidorah, and Rainbow Mothra, all of which have been repainted

Added in 7 days 5 hours 11 minutes 21 seconds:
Custom Neca Shin Godzilla awakening 2.0
Image ImageImage

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

your source of self destruction

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

master_of_monsters wrote:who is it?
https://themasterofmonsters.deviantart. ... 1524695719
I want to say Ape Titan or something related to Kong :P

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

SpaceG92 wrote:
master_of_monsters wrote:who is it?
https://themasterofmonsters.deviantart. ... 1524695719
I want to say Ape Titan or something related to Kong :P

you're very close, he'll be finished soon
your source of self destruction

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

Well I know who it is after I asked on Deviantart. I honestly can't wait to see it finished!

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Custom Neca Shin Godzilla. Basically done with everything I wanted to Change on this guy.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

So I recently acquired a Bandai creation Kiryu and Godzilla. G is in pretty good shape but Kiryu looks like he’s seen some action and his pose is rather strange so I’m gonna paint him in a Tetsujin 28 theme and not feel bad about it. I was wondering though if there was anything to know before painting this figure. Besides cleaning would you recommend primer or are there any certain paints you recommend?

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

Redoing my Neca 84

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

What did you make the fins out of? Hot glue?

Looking forward to seeing the finished project.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

canofhumdingers wrote:What did you make the fins out of? Hot glue?

I would have used Resin. Probably did use hot glue. That is his tools of the trade.

Honestly, they look too clean for straight glue. Wonder if he made a blank mold and just dumped glue into it.

TheRadness
Monarch Researcher

Post by TheRadness »

Stevo_1985 wrote:So I recently acquired a Bandai creation Kiryu and Godzilla. G is in pretty good shape but Kiryu looks like he’s seen some action and his pose is rather strange so I’m gonna paint him in a Tetsujin 28 theme and not feel bad about it. I was wondering though if there was anything to know before painting this figure. Besides cleaning would you recommend primer or are there any certain paints you recommend?
Take it all apart

Clean well with dish soap

Use a product like scotch bright to sand all painted areas.

Clean again

Prime And Paint away.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Careful on the primer too since your using it on vinyl. Wrong type of primer (and by extension paint) will melt your figure or leave it in a permanently tacky state (sticky to the touch).

I would avoid rattle can primers on vinyl, from my experiences they don't work well and leave it tacky. Vallejo makes a acrylic spray on/brush on primer that if thinned well can work if you have a cheap knockoff Iwata eclipse air brush. I wouldn't even sand the pieces. Just wash them with dish soap, blow dry and then let dry completely. I wear some cheapo dish gloves (non powdered) so my oily ass hands don't gunk up what i'm cleaning.

Once fully dry apply the primer in layers. Let dry for the mentioned time. Repeat until fully primed. Then paint away. I'd stick with acrylics. They seem to work the best. Just...be mindful on parts that rub or swivel. It will rub the paint off. Also be careful if dismantling and reattaching. For the same reasons.

It's been a couple of years since I painted on vinyl but that is just from my experience with what I have done since then and now.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Thu May 03, 2018 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

godzilla1541
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla1541 »

SpaceG92 wrote:
canofhumdingers wrote:What did you make the fins out of? Hot glue?

I would have used Resin. Probably did use hot glue. That is his tools of the trade.

Honestly, they look too clean for straight glue. Wonder if he made a blank mold and just dumped glue into it.
It’s hot glue. I printed out a sheet of paper with the spine designs on it(it was a picture of a 84 kit with the spines laid flat) , and put glue over that. Then went over and cut it out with my X-Acto knife and added glue to the other side so it wasn’t flat Image here’s a photo of the 1.0 largest spine compared to the 2.0 largest spine

Added in 6 hours 28 minutes 20 seconds:
Custom Neca Godzilla 1984 2.0

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

INCOMING!

INCOMING!

TK EXPLOSION IMMINENT!

https://twitter.com/nyoruniru/status/993850189726257152
Rasubosu of Super Godzilla for one festa, Bagan also applied for this application. First we will not sell it only for exhibition
Apparently, from the same guy who did the articulated Varan that trolled the forums for a bit :p Plans to sell at next WonFest (not a single fes, license). So hopefully this all goes through.
Last edited by SpaceG92 on Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

SpaceG92 wrote:Apparently, from the same guy who did the articulated Varan that trolled the forums for a bit :p
Saw his Varan figure before, it looks quite excellent. The articulated seams don't blend in together as well as something you'd see from SHMA or NECA, but if that was really his work, then I'm excited to see what he'll do here. He'll be showing off the Bagan prototype at Wonder Festival 2018 [Summer], with a potential release down the road.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock