Custom Action Figures Thread

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Re: Custom Action Figures Thread

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Made Kong's axe. I'm so excited to get more filament and print him.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

My first commission! This is a (kickass) redesign of the Rhedosaurus by Jnavs. I'm excited to see it printed in resin and painted!:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am My first commission! This is a (kickass) redesign of the Rhedosaurus by Jnavs. I'm excited to see it printed in resin and painted!:
You did such an incredible job dude, I'm actually scaling him as we speak! I've gotta pick up some resin this week..
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am My first commission! This is a (kickass) redesign of the Rhedosaurus by Jnavs. I'm excited to see it printed in resin and painted!:
Certainly makes me look forward to working with you when the time comes. It's excellent work. ;)
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

master_of_monsters
EDF Instructor

Post by master_of_monsters »

https://www.instagram.com/p/CLiUey9rAgq/

just tweaked my sound strike cryolophosaurus a bit
Last edited by master_of_monsters on Mon Feb 22, 2021 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your source of self destruction

Doc Phibes
Samurai

Post by Doc Phibes »

So, I just ordered the Mezco 18 inch Ultimate King Kong. And I figured he deserves Ann Darrow to go in his hand. Any recommendations for a generic/customizable 6" Caucasian female figure with bare arms and legs? Also, any recommendations of where to go for the blonde hair and the dress would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

Doc Phibes wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:31 am So, I just ordered the Mezco 18 inch Ultimate King Kong. And I figured he deserves Ann Darrow to go in his hand. Any recommendations for a generic/customizable 6" Caucasian female figure with bare arms and legs? Also, any recommendations of where to go for the blonde hair and the dress would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Probably Marvel Legends Vintage Gwen Stacy, but she doesn't have bare arms. Marvel Legends tend to be cheap and really good for customs.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Monarchverse
Ronin

Post by Monarchverse »

Doc Phibes wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:31 am So, I just ordered the Mezco 18 inch Ultimate King Kong. And I figured he deserves Ann Darrow to go in his hand. Any recommendations for a generic/customizable 6" Caucasian female figure with bare arms and legs? Also, any recommendations of where to go for the blonde hair and the dress would be much appreciated. Thanks!
The Star Wars Black Series A New Hope Princess Leia has bare arms and legs underneath her fabric dress. Perhaps that could work?

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Just realized I never posted Kong printed:
He's got an interchangeable ax hand.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

I'm just gunna throw this out here.

If anyone can do a game accurate, Bandai vinyl scaled Bagan (So like 7+ inches. Dudes 120m) in a neutral pose (Think MMS Godzilla Earth or G19), hit me up with a price for a 3D print. I'm actually in the market for a vinyl cast version of Bagan to go with the other vinyls.

Can care less for the articulation at this point, but props if you can construct it to have like 17 swivels lol. You can call it "Dynamic Action Vinyls!". Make a killing in the fanbase for sure if the process goes well and word gets out. Just give them basic assembly swivels on the standard articulation points like a basic vinyl kit and create an articulated vinyl figure.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:31 am I'm just gunna throw this out here.

If anyone can do a game accurate, Bandai vinyl scaled Bagan (So like 7+ inches. Dudes 120m) in a neutral pose (Think MMS Godzilla Earth or G19), hit me up with a price for a 3D print. I'm actually in the market for a vinyl cast version of Bagan to go with the other vinyls.

Can care less for the articulation at this point, but props if you can construct it to have like 17 swivels lol. You can call it "Dynamic Action Vinyls!". Make a killing in the fanbase for sure if the process goes well and word gets out. Just give them basic assembly swivels on the standard articulation points like a basic vinyl kit and create an articulated vinyl figure.
Would you be purchasing a 3D print that you'd cast into a vinyl? I'm a little confused. I have a few clients on a list but when I'm done with those we could talk. Everything I make is scaled and articulates like a vinyl, but they're made of PLA and the joints are pegs instead of vinyl rings. I have no idea how to cast into vinyl.

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 am Would you be purchasing a 3D print that you'd cast into a vinyl? I'm a little confused. I have a few clients on a list but when I'm done with those we could talk. Everything I make is scaled and articulates like a vinyl, but they're made of PLA and the joints are pegs instead of vinyl rings. I have no idea how to cast into vinyl.
I would be purchasing a finished print.

I can recast into vinyl on my end, but I lack a solid mold to recast from. I've seen videos on people who have the whole process done smoother on their end then the method I worked with, but recasting to vinyl is a very niche thing. Just throwing it out there if I can purchase a vinyl recast from the 3D w/o doing it on my end. Some people have the set up, some don't. I dunno who does until I ask :P

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

SpaceG92 wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:54 am
DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:07 am Would you be purchasing a 3D print that you'd cast into a vinyl? I'm a little confused. I have a few clients on a list but when I'm done with those we could talk. Everything I make is scaled and articulates like a vinyl, but they're made of PLA and the joints are pegs instead of vinyl rings. I have no idea how to cast into vinyl.
I would be purchasing a finished print.

I can recast into vinyl on my end, but I lack a solid mold to recast from. I've seen videos on people who have the whole process done smoother on their end then the method I worked with, but recasting to vinyl is a very niche thing. Just throwing it out there if I can purchase a vinyl recast from the 3D w/o doing it on my end. Some people have the set up, some don't. I dunno who does until I ask :P
Well when my schedule clears up and you're still looking maybe we can work something out, if my style of sculpting interests you. This thread is pretty much my resume lol.

Shenanigans
JXSDF Technician

Post by Shenanigans »

DAYUM.

I know the RPO Mechagodzilla design isn't for everybody, but I personally love it and would kill to get my hands on something like this. Pics from Ned Chang. Luminous has this video showing it in action -

EDIT: Not a custom after all! Details here!
Last edited by Shenanigans on Sun Apr 18, 2021 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Did these a little while back. Here is my redesign of Magma from Ultraman Leo:
Along with his brother-in-law Babarue, who I have yet to print:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Not exactly a custom "figure" but, a custom diorama (for kaiju) I put together in a night real quick. (made with a flattened cardboard box, window sealant, paint, and little scaled objects from Michaels)

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 pm Not exactly a custom "figure" but, a custom diorama (for kaiju) I put together in a night real quick. (made with a flattened cardboard box, window sealant, paint, and little scaled objects from Michaels)

Holy shit, that is gorgeous.

GODAMN.
DirektorSplennic wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:58 am Did these a little while back. Here is my redesign of Magma from Ultraman Leo:
Along with his brother-in-law Babarue, who I have yet to print:
Remind me to get into Leo so I can get these wonderful boys when you get them finished for release, Splennic.

RIP Evan.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 pm
_JNavs_ wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:41 pm Not exactly a custom "figure" but, a custom diorama (for kaiju) I put together in a night real quick. (made with a flattened cardboard box, window sealant, paint, and little scaled objects from Michaels)

Holy poop, that is gorgeous.

GODAMN.
Thank you!! I wanted it to kinda be an homage to all those old Showa fights that took place out on the plains (regardless of franchise, you knew when they took the beef to the fields, it was on sight), while also feeling similar to those early 2000s kaiju figure reviewer backgrounds I used to be jealous of :lol:

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:06 pm Remind me to get into Leo so I can get these wonderful boys when you get them finished for release, Splennic.
Everytime someone says something regarding me selling physical models I die a little inside because the way life is right now i'll probably never get around to selling 95% of my stuff. Maverick Centigrade's Godzilla Extreme is the first on the list for a physical model, but with all the non commission stuff I've made and want to sell, the actual printing process is so trial and error based (along with pla being not the best material in the world for articulated stuff) that pretty much everything ive printed except for a few select models do not meet the standard for what a collector would want.

And school is up my ass.

And I don't have the space for a resin printer workspace.

I honestly just make these things now because I want toys of them, and if something screws up i can just make a new one.
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Started this guy months ago and finally got around to finishing him a few weeks back.

Here's another redesign, this time of Godzilla 1954. I basically tried to make the original suit more modern and beefy (A lot of Shin features like the gills and ribcage) while retaining everything that made the 54 suit, well, the 54 suit. Shoulders are a little broad but they've grown on me.