NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: NECA Godzilla Discussion Thread - 2nd Edition

Post by Godzillian »

MM Raids Again wrote:Ah, these types of Anti-NECA arguments are always golden. "Not screen accurate! No excuse!" It's legit recycled Anti-Trendmasters arguments by collectors while they will do ANYTHING to defend the hypocrisy of openly defending other companies non-accurate releases such as Marmit, M1, Bullmark (the Happy Meal company), Gigabrain and even CCP.

NECA are $20 toys, gentlemen. What do you expect?
The point is NECA has done better with other lines so we know they can do better for Godzilla. Some of the older vinyls were cheaper then NECA and yet are far more accurate then anything NECA put out. As for your marmit argument that's apples to oranges since Marmit figures are meant to be stylized and done in a specific style.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Post by Ultra_Henshin_Fan »

I seem to remember getting a Jason part 7 and a Michael Myers like 15-20 years ago that hardly looked "accurate".

NO Michael Myers figure has ever been accurate or had the right look to the mask, or the eye-holes, or the cheeks, by any company, ever. Every single Myers figure is disappointing to look at.

I like the NECA Godzillas, they look fine to me. The SHM's are hardly 'exactly screen accurate', and they're like 5-8x the price of the NECAS.

I have almost all the NECA Godzillas and will continue getting them, they look fine.

Almost none of the collecter items or toys are 100% accurate at any price point.

The X-Plus Shin-Godzilla looks really great, but how many people are going to pay $700.+ dollars for one figure? Especially a huge figure that takes up a lot of room?

And it's not like the 'actual' 1954 Godzilla looks amazing. Lets be honest gentlemen, in the right lighting it looks good but there is definitely a cheap and 'derpy' kind of look to the original costume as well. I think for $20. the NECA 1954 is probably the best example of that particular iteration of Godzilla you're going to find. Or pay 4x as much and get the SHM, which also looks really good.

idk,...I have a whole shelf full of NECA Godzillas and I never look at them and think, "Oh man these all look so shitty and inaccurate." I think they look pretty great.

at the end of the day they're shelf warmers, and they're fun ones at that, and they don't cost $100. each like SHM. What's not to like?

idk, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but it's kind of funny, like people comparing $500. Epiphone guitars to $5,000. Gibson guitars and complaining they're not identical.
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:44 am, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Action Figures have made HUGE strides in accuracy in 15-20 years, so that's a moot point no matter the line we're referring to.

To my knowledge, NECA hasn't done a Myers in years. So, again. Moot.

I rip on the SHMA figures fairly often, but I would say at least 75% of the time they're very screen accurate, as are the X-Plus figures most of which are not $700 line the Gigantic Shin you're referring to.

You're allowed to like them, like I like mine, but that doesn't mean these guys are wrong with their complaints with them.

It's no so much that the NECAs look *bad*, it's more how their Godzilla figures look compared to the screen, while their Jason and Alien line looks INCREDIBLE compared to the screen. That's the point these guys are making. And they aren't wrong.
Last edited by Maritonic on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

I imagine from a business standpoint the return on investment for the Alien/Predator series is massive.

The Godzillas? Not a good return at all I'd imagine. Godzilla is not a huge property in this country.

I feel lucky we have NECA Godzillas at all. Maybe that's why I judge them less harshly.

No company with any brains is going to invest their best sculptors, time and resources, to a toy line that I'm pretty sure is a giant pain in their ass with not much return on investment.

Not to mention how much time and money have they wasted over and over on things just to have Toho say, "No."

I'm almost 100% postitive NECA loses money on the Godzilla toy line.

..So I tend not to talk shit about it, personally, and am just happy to get them. (I also try to get all the SHM's and the Bandais, I just like Godzilla figures, like a lot of us here do. )

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

I imagine from a business standpoint the return on investment for the Alien/Predator series is massive.

The Godzillas? Not a good return at all I'd imagine. Godzilla is not a huge property in this country.

I feel lucky we have NECA Godzillas at all. Maybe that's why I judge them less harshly.

No company with any brains is going to invest their best sculptors, time and resources, to a toy line that I'm pretty sure is a giant pain in their ass with not much return on investment.

Not to mention how much time and money have they wasted over and over on Godzilla sculpts just to have Toho say, "No."

I'm almost 100% postitive NECA loses money on the Godzilla toy line.

..So I tend not to talk shit about it, personally, and am just happy to get them. (I also try to get all the SHM's and the Bandais, I just like Godzilla figures, like a lot of us here do. )
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

....yeah, I'm just not touching that one. lmao
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

If they loose money on it they wouldn't keep making them, that is business 101 dude. Its been confirmed by Chris a few pages back that Godzilla sells pretty good for NECA hence the continued interest they have in producing them

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:No company with any brains is going to invest their best sculptors, time and resources, to a toy line that I'm pretty sure is a giant pain in their ass with not much return on investment.
What's you're stating is an oxy moron. They aren't making good Godzilla figures because they aren't selling well, but they aren't selling well because they're not making good Godzilla figures.

If NECA would stop with the bs and make a Godzilla figure with as much effort as they put into the Alien line, people wouldn't turn it down. And if you aren't going to put effort into the line, why even bother doing it at al? It didn't make sense to me when Bandai bought the Thundercats license and did the bare minimum with it. It also didn't make sense when Mattel bought the Voltron and Thundercats licenses and did the bare minimum with them. It doesn't make sense either when NECA bought the Godzilla license and does the bare minimum as well.

Why spend the money on a license you aren't going to actually do much with?

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Clearly they ARE selling well or they would have cancelled the line long ago. How is this still a discussion....?

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Maritonic wrote:Clearly they ARE selling well or they would have cancelled the line long ago. How is this still a discussion....?
Ya really. Didn't they just reissue BG too?
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Clearly they ARE selling well or they would have cancelled the line long ago. How is this still a discussion....?
Correct. This perpetuation that the NECA figures don't sell is quite odd to me. If that were the case, NECA would drop the line, especially with these setbacks releasing new figures. I think people just like to hate things, to be honest.

Obviously they sell.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I think the only true fault of NECA's (if it's even their choice) is what Godzilla's they've done. They're almost all figures that have been done countless times before. The only exceptions are 84 and, if you count it, the NES Godzilla. There isn't a whole lot of variety when it comes to the line.

For $20 (in actuality, $25-30 depending on your retailer), I'd expect the sculpts to be on-par with their other $25-30 lines that look great.
Fermix wrote: We're talking about people who curse NECA when they release inaccurate toys and curse NECA when TOHO prevents them from showing off product. There is no winning. :shrug:
Uh...what? Way to make assumptions to fit your narrative, I suppose. I don't think NECA's at fault for not having product to show off, but I do think they're at fault for the sculpts not being up to par with their other lines.

And as for the "you criticize NECA but like Marmit/M1/etc/" argument, that's...well, that's just idiotic. They're two completely different design philosophies. Marmit and kin are intentionally stylized figures that are centered less on screen-accuracy and more on unique colorations that differ wildly from their film appearances. NECA's entire library of releases has been a heavy focus on accurate, detailed sculpts with unique accessories. The Godzilla line just doesn't have that look. The sculpts aren't garbage, but they could stand to be a lot better, especially when similar lines by NECA with similar price points look magnificent.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
Correct. This perpetuation that the NECA figures don't sell is quite odd to me. If that were the case, NECA would drop the line, especially with these setbacks releasing new figures. I think people just like to hate things, to be honest.

Obviously they sell.

I'm not talking about whether they sell, I'm saying they've probably invested time and money into 10 sculpts just for Toho to say, "No". That's not a cheap investment.

They don't have much product, over and over, they're spinning their wheels. The last 3 figures, (1994, Burning G, and this month hopefully the large 2014) are all reissues. They haven't actually had anything new since what? Shin Godzilla? When did that come out...2016?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I often feel like I'm the only person here who actually like his NECA and SHM figures because usually I just see people posting they're all inaccurate garbage and, 'Why do people buy these things?'

I just think they're fun, I'll continue to buy them.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Ultra_Henshin_Fan wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:

Obviously they sell.

I'm not talking about whether they sell, I'm saying they've probably invested time and money into 10 sculpts just for Toho to say, "No". That's not a cheap investment.

They don't have much product, over and over, they're spinning their wheels. The last 3 figures, (1994, Burning G, and this month hopefully the large 2014) are all reissues. They haven't actually had anything new since what? Shin Godzilla? When did that come out...2016?

I'm really not trying to be argumentative. I often feel like I'm the only person here who actually like his NECA and SHM figures because usually I just see people posting they're all inaccurate garbage and, 'Why do people buy these things?'

I just think they're fun, I'll continue to buy them.
I never said you said they did not sell. Kaiju no kami did. I was replying to him.

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

oh, my mistake. lol

too much work/windows open at the moment.

anyway I hope the Big 2014 comes out this month like it's supposed to, I'm pretty excited to get that.
Last edited by Ultra_Henshin_Fan on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Fermix wrote: We're talking about people who curse NECA when they release inaccurate toys and curse NECA when TOHO prevents them from showing off product. There is no winning. :shrug:
Uh...what? Way to make assumptions to fit your narrative, I suppose. I don't think NECA's at fault for not having product to show off, but I do think they're at fault for the sculpts not being up to par with their other lines.
Wasn't talking about you, friend. Was talking about other members' desires to check in once in a while, complain about there not being figures, and then complain about inaccuracy when there are figures. Really makes you wonder why they take the time to post in the thread at all.
Last edited by Fermix on Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Fermix wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Wasn't talking about you, friend. Was talking about other members' desires to check in once in a while, complain about there not being figures, and then complain about inaccuracy when there are figures.
I cannot imagine who so ever you are talking about.... :lol:

Ultra_Henshin_Fan
JXSDF Technician

I was looking at my (new) 1994 and Burning G NECA's last night and was pleasantly surprised to see they have the double row of teeth sculpted and painted inside that tiny little head. Quite a nice attention to detail, imo. Those teeth in the roof of the mouth are pretty tiny, but they're their and they're well painted. Kudos, NECA.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Godzilla21 wrote:
MM Raids Again wrote:Ah, these types of Anti-NECA arguments are always golden. "Not screen accurate! No excuse!" It's legit recycled Anti-Trendmasters arguments by collectors while they will do ANYTHING to defend the hypocrisy of openly defending other companies non-accurate releases such as Marmit, M1, Bullmark (the Happy Meal company), Gigabrain and even CCP.

NECA are $20 toys, gentlemen. What do you expect?
Did you not read anything that we have been discussing? The whole point is look at their F13, ANOES, Predator, Alien, etc. They are also $20 and far more screen accurate than their Godzilla line. The question is why so much detail goes into those with far more accessories. Because those are the same price point yet blow the Godzilla line out of the water in terms of accuracy
NECA has been doing Friday the 13th, Aliens, Predator, Nightmare on Elm Street, etc for over a decade now. The Godzilla line isn't only niche, its small. I mean, just look at what happened when Tamashi tried taking them on with their Alien and Predator figures... granted, the horrid quality of those releases is starting to even out with their current kaiju output.

And even then, NECA isn't always perfect with their other license. IMO, it took them FOREVER to finally release an Ash figure that I actually wanted because they usually looked like ass.
As for your marmit argument that's apples to oranges since Marmit figures are meant to be stylized and done in a specific style.
Read as "It's okay for this more expensive line to not be 100% screen accurate because that's what the company making them says, but this line shall be held to a different standard because it's cheaper."

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

I disagree. Chaper does not mean we should except lesser quality. And if the price point is what is keeping NECA from doing great Godzilla figures, then by all means, up the price. Hell, I wouldn't mind $30-40 if it also meant getting rid of those worthless bendy wire tails with segmented joints.