G:STE or Godzila Unleashed better gameplay?

For the discussion of Toho video games and video games of Toho related characters only.
TechnoForce
Monsterland Worker

G:STE or Godzila Unleashed better gameplay?

Post by TechnoForce »

Which game did you prefer from a game play point of view? I thought Unleashed was actually a bit more clunky and cluttered in its levels and stuff. Obviously I loved having new characters and better graphics but I just thought the gameplay was seriously lack lustre. Also my favorite characters (Destoroyah) Just didnt feel powerful enough.
Arena victories
Wins: 1
Losses: 0
Draws: 0

Watch this space

Blackout286
JXSDF Technician

Re: G:STE or Godzila Unleashed better gameplay?

Post by Blackout286 »

I think I'm gonna have to side with G:U somewhat. Beyond the weird matrix pace whenever a monster jumped, and the tangled responses when trying to control your monster, along with a glitch here or two. I've enjoyed the gameplay fair more than STE, although I do wish that monsters had two grapples like in STE instead of one in G:U.

CatfaceFourtoes
Monarch Researcher

Post by CatfaceFourtoes »

Kind of depends on which Uersion of unleashed. The PS2 one seem to lack both the critical mass feature from the Wii version and the signature rage attacks from STE, so it loses to STE in my opinion. The Wii version had all the monsters from the previous game plus the new ones, and even had both game exclusive and original characters Obsidious and Crystalak, with Obsidious sporting a different body shape. On the other hand, STE had nifty things like King Ghidorah being fed by electricity-based attacks and other things that made beam battling interesting. Bottom line, if I had to play one right now, it would be STE, flat textures, shorter roster and all.

Berzerkgodzilla
G-Grasper

Post by Berzerkgodzilla »

I liked STE more, it's actually my favorite of the Godzilla games. Unleashed is just to clunky and the controls are to wacky for me to like it

Tormentor
Interpol Agent

Post by Tormentor »

Mmm.....

Well....STE gameplay, the only appealing thing to me about that specific gameplay are the involvement of rage attacks and "Air-Strikes". Monsters have certain advatanges like Fire Rodan, Ghidorah and Megalon did make battles more interesting. Especially when your playing as the opposing monster that can give those monsters a possible victory in battle. But that's about it.

From G:U, I like the involvement of Critical Mass (Or as a few would say, Meltdown). I also like the ability to charge up and hold your energy projectile while still physically attacking, and being able to continue your energy projectile so long as you have the energy for it. The gameplay interaction/involvement of the surges from the crystals in the arenas can make battles somewhat interesting. Plus how energy no longer refills over time kinda makes you want to be more careful in how you use your energy. Overall, I pretty much like G:U's gameplay over STE, the only down-side are the wacky controls and how some monsters float jump.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

PS2 Unleashed is ass, and shouldn't even be considered in this conversation. It's literally a downgraded version of STE. It has a terrible frame rate, no new characters, and less stages than STE. It's awful.

I think Godzilla: STE has better gameplay overall, but G:U has some great additions as well. Better juggle system (back when almost all of the monsters actually had launchers, unlike in G:U). Critical mass makes your monster faster, and the ability to juggle easier, but otherwise, it's not a very interesting mechanic at all. The beam clashing was a lot more forgiving in G:U, which is something I did like. It makes people much more weary when using their beam attacks.

G:U added the much needed parry, and throw escape, which were really great additions to the battle system. Now if only there were a game that offered the best of both worlds..

TechnoForce, I hope you're joking regarding Destoryah. On top of having a glitched Katana Horn, which is broken as fuck, he has access to his rage attack from STE, which is a homing meteor that fires from the sky. When it's unleashed, you literally have to keep blocking, because you will get hit. Combine that with the glitched Horn, which builds a ton of meter for Des, and you have what is easily one of best characters in the game. The biggest downside to him is that some characters, including Mothra Larva and Megaguirus, have infinite combos possible on him. (His slow get-up animation makes them possible). Other than that, he's top tier, and definitely better than he was in STE.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Hipster Thor
Gotengo Officer

Post by Hipster Thor »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAA.....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAHAH!

STE. This is a question?
"My opinion matters and you need to hear, it regardless of how rude and obnoxious my posts are, because I'm smarter than all of you."
It isn't conderacting if i'm pissed.
Let's dance.

http://20sideshero.tumblr.com/

CatfaceFourtoes
Monarch Researcher

Post by CatfaceFourtoes »

Fighting Destroyah in DAMM was like battling the Minion mid boss in Twisted Metal Black. It could have been a boss it its own right, just like the unlocked Orga boss with all it's beam spam. I did like one thing about The Wii version of unleashed though. The critical mass changed the sizes of the monsters, so for a moment monsters like Rodan and Imago Mothra were not dwarfed by Godzilla, and some of the bigger monsters like Space Godzilla and Destroya got as big as Biollante, until she goes Critical mass herself, of course.

Godzillabrawler
Monarch Researcher

Post by Godzillabrawler »

Saying G:U PS2 is STE 2.0 is like calling Godzilla Unleashed: Double Smash a better platformer than New Super Mario Bros.

STE all the way.
"There's two things you don't know about the Earth. One is me. And the other is... Godzilla."

Shadow
Futurian

Post by Shadow »

STE, G:U was okay in it's own way but STE had that 'DESTROY!' feeling. I mean it's fun as hell to destroy half a city over one monster, especially if you smack them into those buildings. But that's what G:U lacked, which I miss most.
Half as long, twice as bright.
Resized ImageResized Image
Greatest Advertisement of all time.
Greatest Parody Video of all time.
TK's Resident Master Crazy Narrator and Attack on Titan fan

GodzillaRangerPrime
JXSDF Technician

Post by GodzillaRangerPrime »

I felt Unleashed had the best gameplay mainly due to the ability to throw punches and shoot your whatever while you move around.
I also love the charging and running around, knocking over certain structures thing.
Chris55 wrote:
Underworld54 wrote:
GalacticPetey wrote:They're not half-assing the Star Wars movies.
I very much consider TFA to be half-assed. What a generic film which only fed on nostalgia, it brought nothing new to the table.
That's not true. C3PO had a red arm.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

STE by leaps and bounds, even if I prefer DAMM out of all of them.

The controls for Unleashed where unresponsive and weird. Oh yeah, and gotta love the uber moon hops the kaiju does. It's truly terrifying when the massive, slow-moving Godzilla '54 takes to the skies like a gravity defying missile.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gyaos wrote:STE by leaps and bounds, even if I prefer DAMM out of all of them.
Why?
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

For nostalgia mostly. STE is an improvement overall with it's expanded roster, minigames, etc.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Gyaos wrote:For nostalgia mostly. STE is an improvement overall with it's expanded roster, minigames, etc.
Ahh, I know that feel, brah.

I'm pretty sure I've already rambled about what I like better about STE, in the past, so I'll spare everyone. :)

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ If I ramble on about how STE is superior in most categories... Will you do me the honor and ramble along with me :angel:?

#BotM

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ Oh absolutely.

As far as I'm concerned, G:STE is the best Godzilla fighting game. The single player can drag a bit because of a mini games, but the gameplay is phenomenal.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Chris55 wrote:
Gyaos wrote:For nostalgia mostly. STE is an improvement overall with it's expanded roster, minigames, etc.
I didn't' like the mini games and I felt the interrupted gameplay far too often. I'd do what I could to get them to end quicker
That's how I felt as well, though I did really like some of them. That's really the only thing that DAMM has over STE, is that the Adventure mode feels more "Arcady", and is more streamlined.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I agree Goji, it took everything from DAMM and made it better. Tightened controls, more moves, more monsters, better story, monsters not being copies of one another like Kiryu and 2k Godzilla, intense beam fights that kept you on the edge of your seat and required actual strategy ( seriously, in Unleashed the beam fights got so repetitive and chore-like after the first five because of the computer having to retaliate with its beam every time you shot yours). I don't mind the stationary beam fire of STE or DAMM because the beams were actually powerful, and were worth a damn. In unleashed the beams were garbage and you couldn't fire them whenever you wanted like the game marketed.

I remember when I was fighting Godzilla 2000, and he picked up a building but instead of throwing it at me, he fired his beam while holding the building. I'm like "why the hell can't I do that?!" Oh, and in STE the monsters actually felt like they weighed several thousand tons, as opposed to unleash's float like a feather mechanic. The variety and originality of the levels in STE is superior to unleash's "want a full destructible city? Too bad, we've already destroyed a good chunk of it for you!". While critical is a fun little mechanic, it gets stale after a while because it's right there for you to use (the same can be said for the monsters special abilities as well), instead of it being an occurrence like STE's rage attacks which were original and fun to use. Both games don't have the true free roam/go rampaging through a city like DAMM. In STE it's pretty much mission-based, and in unleash you have another monster with you. At least in unleash's story mode your by your self and can go rampaging before a monster comes to fight you.

Overall while unleashed was a fun title for what it was: a rushed and unpolished "what could have been" game, it still doesn't hold a candle to STE or DAMM, and while DAMM in my opinion has the best visuals out of the three... STE still has it and unleashed beat in every other category. Also, I love that in STE you unlocked pictures of Godzilla Final Wars to get you hyped up for it :).

#BotM

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Godzilla: Save the Earth, without a doubt. I cannot get into the groove of GU's combat... Swinging around the Wiimote is just not for me. :( Had more traditional controllers been available, then just maybe GU would've fared better. It has some really great animations, as the monsters move very fluidly, especially for a Wii title.
But I love the way every monster in GStE feels unique; even today, I just cannot pick up and play monsters I never play as. I have to sit down and wholly invest myself in order to get somewhere.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock